Seneca Family of Agencies Employee Reviews in United States

Gifted and intelligent people to work with.
Bilingual School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 19, 2016
Seneca cares a great deal about developing their folks into independent and progressive minded leaders. Typical days vary based on department and current project timelines. Flexing time can be an option but flexibility with being available for overtime is also valued. Coworkers become friends. Hardest part is changing landscape of the population we work with. Organization is focussed, committed to research driven program design and developing new solutions.
Pros
Work/life balance. High expectations of all team members.
Cons
Inconsistent expectations. Role ambiguity.
Creative and engaging environment
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAAugust 27, 2015
A typical day at work involves your skill set being actively challenged as the work is done. It leaves room for creativity and exploration.

I've learned that there is not always just one way to do things; get creative and find alternative solutions.

The management teams work together to ensure that people feel comfortable and there is not a sense of superiority. The ask for feedback constantly and gather information to be manage employees.

My co workers are fantastic!

Hardest part of the job would be the pay but I think that's down to the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working directly with client's and families. Our work is truly helping them out and that means something.
Difficult but rewarding
Senior Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAMay 9, 2015
This is not a job for those working just to pay bills. You will find staff members at all levels that are truly dedicated to the students with extreme compassion and patience. It is very obvious that it does not pay well but Seneca is more than just about making money. It is about helping families and students in the hardest parts of their lives. If you are compassionate and dedicated enough to engage in the challenging yet rewarding job, I highly recommend this job.
Pros
Morally and ethically rewarding, High appreciate from staff and administration, very team oriented feeling ("The Seneca Family")
Cons
Very low pay for the work you do, sometimes you go without breaks due to the nature of the job and random crisis situations
Billing is their number 1 priority
TBS Clinician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 2, 2015
They will sugarcoat and say billing is the top priority because the agency needs to keep running which is true but there is an over-emphasis on that that sacrifices the actual supposed purpose of the agency which is helping kids. Depending on your supervisor there are varying levels of support for the heavy workload. There are multiple things that need to be completed within strict deadlines and when you ask how to manage time you're given answers that insinuate that this is an easy thing to do. There's very little training and you are just expected to know how to do everything (both paperwork and clinical services) after one time of being showed in short training sessions; some of which are only 15 minutes or a half an hour. Then, later, you are scolded for not knowing how to do something. There's very little emotional support and the pay is laughable. There's very little racial diversity and there are only a few staff members that reflect the culture of the client's that the agency serves.
Pros
Breakfast at group supervision, a few incentives
Cons
over-worked, underpaid, very little support, very little guidance
Great training and experience, very hard population
Multisystemic Therapist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 29, 2014
Seneca is a great place to begin a career in counseling or social work and gain hours. It provides excellent training and their philosophy of unconditional care is unmatched. However, Seneca works with extremely difficult clients and the therapists are expected to make identifiable progress with these clients. The paperwork load is large (though, this can be expected with most providers working with MediCal) and it has been a struggle to balance this work load with my personal life. I have been happy with my management, though Seneca managers tend towards over management. This over-involvement can be useful for new therapists, but can become cumbersome as your experience level increases.
Pros
training, supervision, name recognition
Cons
difficult client population, large paperwork load
Seneca is an inovative and exceptional place to work!
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 17, 2014
I can say with absolute confidence that Seneca is the best non-profit social services agency to work for in the bay area. The agency's values and mission are unique and 100% in line with the reasons I became a social worker.

Everyone works hard and strives to provide the best services possible to youth and families. It is pleasure to work with other like-minded people in such a supportive environment.
Couldn't be better!
Strategic Initiatives and Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 6, 2013
When I first became an employee at Seneca, I was blown away by the mission and values and the care our staff provide for kids. It's truly inspiring to see such dedicated and well educated staff putting in so much effort to help children in our programs.

I've been at Seneca for over five years and feel that this agency has an incredible network of support for its staff. There is lots of room for growth and education, and Seneca staff have become my family. I can't imagine a better place to work!
Pros
support, growth, fun
Collaborative and supportive workplace
Crisis Clinician/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CADecember 7, 2012
A day at my workplace as a clinician is never dull. Being that it is a crisis unit, there is usually high level of chaos but as a team, we make it an organized chaos. It also is important to remind ourselves though the work is intense and difficult majority of the time, our clients need the support they deserve in times of such tragedy and hardship. Working with such talented individuals while helping children and families in need is as rewarding as a job could get.
Seneca is where vision and action meet!
Educational Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 11, 2013
I love working for Seneca! The people who work here are amazing and are all dedicated to providing excellent services to students and families. There is a singularity of mission that is impressive. The work itself is never easy, but the agency provides support, training and resources to help along the way. I've learned more than I ever thought I could from a job!
Productive and a good place to gain experience in the mental health field.
Classroom Counselor (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 26, 2013
A lot of direct care with clients. Potential of being assaulted by clients can very from minimal to very high depending on the program you work at. Fast paced work environment with a lot of rules and guidelines to get familar with.
Pros
great trainings
Cons
short breaks

Want to know more about Seneca Family of Agencies?

Ask a question
Great place, Great people
QA Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 3, 2014
Fun, bright and compassionate people. Focus on self-care and team development. Lots of growth opportunities and promotions from within the agency. Growing company that does good work.
Pros
all the people
Cons
non-profit salary
If your not a mental health professional they dont need you
Medical Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 25, 2014
Administrative staff is not valued. Behavioral health counselors have extended perks
Dynamic and Uplifting Community Work
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 15, 2014
I've worked with Seneca for a little over four years and I've been increasingly impressed with its mission and ability to effectively provide supportive community based work with families. It is truly a strengths based agency and cares greatly for its employees. I've seen this manifest in weekly supportive and constructive supervisions as well as an overall atmosphere of joy for the work. Seneca has consistently supported my continued development as a clinician through several opportunities for training as well as financial assistance for gaining CEUs. I also greatly appreciate the team based and collaborative nature of the agency--we are constantly supporting each others programs and needs in different counties. There are thousands of ways to grow within the company. On a personal note, I've also really enjoyed the 5 weeks of vacation each year to regroup from intense community work. It definitely helps in feeling valued as an employee and gives me the ability to have some perspective!
Pros
great vacation leave, opportunities for growth, training
Cons
unpredictable crises
Fun, tough, unconditional, lots of team support
Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 30, 2014
This is an excellent place to work to gain lots of knowledge and experience working with kids in the mental health field. Your are constantly learning new ways to help the clients by developing ideas using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy--learning theory is a must. Management is always willing to work with you and encourage staff to always utilize self care. Co-workers are amazing and a great support.
Hardest part of the job is the 24hr on-call schedule. You are "On-Call" for 24hrs a day, 3 times a month. You can volunteer for more shifts but 3 is you min for the month. You could be called out in the middle of the night to support a client. Not the best but we are able to assist families and kids with their needs. Most enjoyable part world be working one-on-one with the kids and getting to know who they really are. Some come with tough shells but in the end all kids really want and need is someone to show them that they have choices and that they are able to make positive choices for themselves.
Pros
lots of experience and working one-on-one with other mental health workers, including psychologist, therapist
Cons
on call schedule for 24hrs especially on your weekends
Unconditionally Committed
Administration (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 17, 2015
An organization built on the simple commitment that we will do whatever it takes to help youth and families through the most difficult times in their lives, Seneca promotes a vision of hope and progress unlike any I've ever experienced. I was hooked before I even arrived for the interview, yet nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to experience as I became steeped in the same values that I wanted to emulate not only as a social worker, but more importantly as a person. Love. Compassion. Joy. Hope. Courage. Respect. Curiosity.

Seneca Family of Agencies is driven by values and principles that reflect the foundational commitment we make to our youth and families -that we will always do whatever it takes to sustain them through the most difficult times in their lives.
It's that unwavering promise that infuses hope where there is despair; courage when the risk seems too great; love where there appears to be only loss; compassion in the face of indifference; respect to contest the unjust; humility enough to change; curiosity when the barriers seem impenetrable; and joy when the successes are hard fought.

As a leader in the organization, I have the absolute pleasure of bearing witness to the extraordinary work that our staff do on a daily basis--and what they do is truly life changing for many of our families. Not only are our teams willing and eager to demonstrate heroic efforts to meet the needs of our clients and families, they are some of the most intelligent, committed and joyful individuals I've ever met. I'm challenged and improved by them every day.
  more...

The depth of my appreciation for Seneca is immeasurable and I feel privileged to have the opportunity to work in this incredible organization. It is both the hardest and most rewarding job I've ever had, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Pros
Inspiring and life-changing work, done by incredible people. Lots of opportunity for advancement and professional development.