Seneca Family of Agencies Employee Reviews

Low Pay, High Stress, Great Growth Opportunity
Staff (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJanuary 13, 2018
Seneca is a great place to grow professionally. The fast pace keeps you on your toes. Staff are expected to perform exceptionally. Because the agency is a non-profit, pay is low.
January 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. We continue to make it our highest priority to recognize our staff through competitive wages in the field, along with growth opportunities. Best of luck to you in your professional career. Josie Aye Roemhild - Executive Director, Orange County Programs

Amazing coworkers, face-paced rewarding work, unsupportive management team
Family Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara County, CANovember 21, 2017
Everything about this position and agency is great except for the management at Santa Clara County. Extremely rewarding work with amazing youth and families. Must desire to work in a fast-paced stressful environment, but the colleagues felt like family, and I always felt supported by my team members. I learned an immense amount - learned how to write treatment plans, other clinical documents, mental health notes, counseling skills, strengths-based/ trauma- informed approach... Lots of great training and professional development opportunities. If you get a supportive supervisor, the job is great, but the management turnover has been off the roofs since I started in 2015, and many of the managers have consistently been unhelpful, had poor boundaries, and involved in management politics/ drama which was a huge challenge for me in the work environment. There is a lack of transparency between management and direct care staff and oftentimes decisions were made by management that directly impacted direct care staff negatively and we were not provided with rationale or opportunities to have our feedback heard. They talk a lot about being open to feedback but it definitely seemed more talk and less a reality of the management team.
I love my job
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 1, 2017
I absolutely love my job. There is nothing I would change about it, except for the fact that I wish there were more sites in the San Joaquin Valley so I could be closer to home!
November 16, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience – I always love hearing feedback from staff! I’m glad to hear that you are happy in your role, and I will strive to continue to provide you with anything you might need to continue to do so. Nathaniel Foster, Chief Advancement Officer

Supportive and inspiring place to work
MFT Registered Intern, Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 26, 2017
My previous work at Seneca Family of Agencies provided me with not only comprehensive and complex clinical training, but with the opportunity to work in a variety of arenas (i.e. individual and family face to face sessions with ages 3-20, facilitating groups including positive discipline and pathways to permanence, participating in family team meetings, transition planning for foster youth, etc.). My experience in advocating for my clients in foster care has provided me the experience of advancing my communication and team building skills. Management and staff are incredibly supportive and caring. Could not have asked for a better work environment.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Medi-cal documentation
November 16, 2017

I would like to give a heartfelt thank you for taking the time to write this review! I am so glad that you felt supported during your time at Seneca, and especially pleased to hear that your time here helped you to develop strong clinical and professional development skills. I wish you the very best of luck in your future! Josie Roemhild - Executive Director, Orange County Programs

Rigorous but amazing place to work
Non-Public School Clinician (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAOctober 10, 2017
Worked with a unique population of students to provide mental health counseling. Collaborated with the family, educational staff as well as community partners to ensure all around support for the clients.
October 12, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. This work is often as challenging as it is rewarding. We are so grateful for the work you did and your continued support of our community. Nathaniel Foster, Chief Advancement Officer

Fulfilling work and a great place to grow
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 14, 2017
Freedom to propose new ideas/express creativity. Management team is very supportive and encourages personal growth. Flexibility to transfer around between departments to find the best job fit for you.
Pros
Career growth, flexibility, great values, good leadership
Cons
Heavy workload but they work with you to help find a better balance
October 2, 2017

Thank you for your insights – we always encourage feedback from staff, and appreciate you taking the time to write this review. At Seneca, we encourage interdepartmental growth to help our employees work toward their passions. We believe that good leadership starts with supporting our staff to be the best that they can be. Thank you for sharing your experience! Nathaniel Foster, Chief Advancement Officer

Tough work but rewarding
Transition Age Youth Clinician (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJuly 31, 2017
A great place to start. The mission is basically serve all who welcome help. Opportunity for clinical knowledge growth if you have the time. Fast paced and heavy clinical documentation. Very rewarding when clients make progress. It does exist even with the odds are against you. I'm sure they would absolutely pay more if they could, but pay is low for the amount of work done. Highly recommended if you are ready for a challenge in making a difference.
Pros
Co-workers are a team like no other, super supportive of each other. The mission of Seneca is one of a kind.
Cons
Work-life balance is greatest challenge. Can lead to very fast burn out.
September 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience and for supporting Seneca’s mission. We are currently in the process of significantly reducing clinical documentation, have restructured the program to create more manageable caseloads, and strengthened our on-site training and mentorship opportunities. We also have an increased focus on supporting staff to intentionally balance their work and personal lives. As a Management Team, we are working hard to recognize and address signs of burnout early and effectively. By staying attuned to these signs, we have adapted to create a strong, well-connected, and rewarding office culture that results in an increased ability for us to balance the demands of the work we do . Thank you for joining us to serve the youth and families in our community and for helping us learn along the way. Lauren Crutsinger - Regional Director, Solano & Marin Programs

Difficult yet rewarding work with some of the best people you'll ever meet
Family Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 23, 2017
This job requires a dedicated, open, and honest person. The work we do with youth is incredibly difficult and emotional. The work culture is very nurturing and rewarding. Everything about this company is strengths-based and aims to educate and train staff to the best of their ability. This is an amazing organization for someone who is just starting their career in mental health as it offers a platform to really develop your own skillset.

As any company - there is always room for growth but Seneca really strives to continue growing, changing, and improving.
Pros
Dedication to self-care, recent increase in compensation, great benefits
Cons
Non-profit salary, staff turnover
August 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing! I’m so happy to hear that you have found the culture, training and professional development opportunities beneficial. I agree that turnover can be impactful on staff, and improving retention is one of our top priorities. Recent salary increases have had a positive influence and we are dedicated to finding more ways to improve our retention. Puja Satwani - Executive Director, Santa Clara County

Great company to work for
Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 18, 2017
Management is very supportive of work/life balance. My schedule is pretty flexible and supervisors do not micromanage. Because our office is not near the corporate office, opportunities for growth are limited. Also, due to being funded by a county contract, the pay scale is not what I wish it was.
Workplace culture is wonderful
Pros
flexibility, lack of micromanagement, great support from management
Cons
limited opportunities for growth in my deparment, pay scale
July 31, 2017

Thank you for being a part of our team and for adding your positivity to our work culture. I’m glad to hear you feel support, yet also autonomy in your role! One priority of mine is to continue to ensure that all employees in Southern California experience opportunities for professional growth and development. I would enjoy sharing these opportunities with you, and also how we can enhance your learning experience in your current position. Josie Roemhild, Executive Director of Southern CA Programs

Best culture you'll find
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJuly 10, 2017
I worked at Seneca for almost two years and it was incredible. If you want to have an impact, create lasting friendships with your coworkers, and genuinely be excited to go to work everyday, Seneca is the place to be. Employees are motivated, managers are leaders, and the culture is warm, fun and engaging.
Pros
Lots of training, great management, cool culture
Cons
Pay is what you'd expect for a non-profit
July 18, 2017

It’s so great to hear from one of our awesome recruiters. So thrilled to know that your time with us was not only engaging and fun, but you were able to move forward professionally. I know that you took that cool culture with you to your new workplace, and they are lucky to have you. Keep connected to your Seneca family! Lori Slominski, Director of Human Resources

Great place to work!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJune 7, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Seneca Family of Agencies. Everyone is so dedicated to the cause, and it is refreshing to see people working so hard towards something that they believe in. At Seneca, I felt empowered as an employee. My manager was amazing, and she entrusted me with projects that helped me grow as an employee. I was also able to attend seminars for professional development. My manager and coworkers were respectful and hard-working. Even though the culture was fast-paced, I rarely felt overwhelmed because I had the support of my coworkers and manager.
Pros
good professional development opportunities, good work-life balance
June 14, 2017

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review – thanks for the feedback. This work can be fast paced and I’m glad to hear that you felt supported and empowered during your time here. I would agree that we get to work with the most incredible, hardworking, mission-driven individuals that this field has to offer!

Hard yet rewarding work
Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJune 6, 2017
Seneca can be a very challenging work environment, but most of us who stick around find it to be equally rewarding as it is challenging!

There are high expectations around the amount and nature of the work that we do, but there are also good systems in place to support employees including 4 weeks of paid time off for every employee. My coworkers and managers are extremely supportive people.
Pros
Coworkers are amazing, the mission is worthwhile, the work is rewarding
Cons
Pay is low for the Bay Area if you compare it to a corporate job (but standard/high nonprofit pay)
June 14, 2017

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write this review and are grateful for your feedback. I agree that this work can be both challenging and also very rewarding. Continuing to increase pay is a priority here at Seneca. I feel strongly that we have the most committed, mission-driven staff in the field, and we are working to find ways to compensate you accordingly.

Rewarding work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 5, 2017
Seneca was my first job out of college, and I will always remember my time there fondly. The employees and management, whether they work in direct care or in administration, are all passionate about helping children and families. I collaborated with many departments on various projects and learned so much. My supervisor always encouraged professional development, which is also really valuable!
June 14, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for starting your career here at Seneca. Our goal when folks leave the agency, is for them to apply what they’ve learned here in their future professional experiences. We hope that you’ll keep in touch!

Raising our standards of excellence
Clinical Counseling Associate (Former Employee) –  Alameda and San Francisco CountiesJune 5, 2017
I worked for several programs at Seneca and had a phenomenal experience. The agency is constantly striving to develop innovative programs to meet the needs of clients based on the most current practices, offers ample opportunities for employee professional growth, and does not turn away clients. Every program succeeded in creating a supportive and fun environment for the employees, which is crucial given the nature of the work. The target population is extremely challenging, and truly is often the hardest part of the job, but you really learn so much from working with these kids, and at the end of the day they make it worth your while. It is an honor and privilege to support these families through the hardest times of their lives.
Pros
job mobility, training opportunities, lots of support
Cons
non-profit, so low pay.
September 18, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your Seneca experience, and for providing these unique insights into several of our programs. We are so happy to hear that you felt supported and were able to grow as an employee during your time with us. It is clear how well you understood Seneca’s mission – Thank you for helping children and families through the most difficult times of their lives.

Good experience and appreciate the opportunity for growth.
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 29, 2017
I started working as an entry level counselor at a NPS and I received great training from my mentor. The occasional meetings and training helped develop and strengthen my skills which helped me grow within the company.
June 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are happy to hear you were able to strengthen your skillset during your time here at Seneca! We’re continually working to improve the learning and work experiences of our employees, from individual and group supervision, to open office hours and agency wide trainings. As our services in Contra Costa expand, it is imperative that we respond to the varied needs of our community. It is a value of ours that we create a dynamic, mission focused work environment, while identifying our future leaders. Tom Tamura, Executive Director Contra Costa County

Supportive environment, hard position.
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMay 26, 2017
Very supportive regarding your mental health and need for self care, but the position and the work is hard. There is a lot of movement and they can be helpful in supporting you reaching your goals. But it would be helpful if you are already equipped to balance work and home, know when to leave stuff at work and not take serious things home and know how to self care.
June 8, 2017

We’re happy to hear you feel supported in your role! It sounds like you have had a good experience finding a path for reaching your goals within in the agency. The work we do can be difficult, and we are proud of employees like you who support children, families, and Seneca’s mission each and every day. Seneca values the self-care of its employees and provides a fully paid EAP plan and generous PTO to assist in achieving this balance. If you or your team members need more information, contact your supervisor or Human Resources Team at 510-317-1437.

Prepare for staff turnover
Classroom Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMay 22, 2017
You'll work with the nicest people ever,but just as you familiarize yourself with their style, they leave. Turnover is huge at this agency. Supervisors favor the agency not staff.
The work is draining, the documentation is crippling.
Teach my f-ing kid to stop saying f*ck.
The parents were often worse than the kids they sent to our program.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Stepford supervisors
June 16, 2017

Thank you for providing your insights. We’re glad to hear you were happy with the benefits, as well as the people you worked with during your time here. The rate of turnover at nonprofits like Seneca can be high, but we’re proud that a recent workplace study showed Seneca’s turnover rate was lower than comparable nonprofits, and we’re continuously striving to make a workplace that is conducive to retaining staff. The work we do can be difficult, and that is why we strive to employ and provide ongoing support to mission driven employees who honor and respect the youth and families we work with. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! Scott Osborn, Regional Executive Director, Alameda County

Agency with a heart
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 30, 2017
Unfortunately, our office lost the County contract and we were laid off or transferred to other divisions. There is room for advancement depending on your position. All employees are required to have a bachelors, you don't get opportunities for management unless you have a masters, specifically in Social Work.
Pros
Agency is all about helping children
Cons
Don't be too friendly, I got talked to several times for annoying certain coworkers or wasting time with clients
April 13, 2017

This was such a difficult time for our program and as Executive Director of our Southern California programs, I couldn’t be more impressed and proud of how our team continued to work together to support our youth & families through the closing of our program – a true testament to our staff and their commitment to our mission and values. Josie Roemhild

It's just OK
Student Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 25, 2017
You can tell when you work there that there are some fundamental things that should have been in place before their "programs" were integrated into schools. I am concerned for the future of the company due to the very fragile foundation/start. This company is doing more of a disservice to the community currently. I am very concerned for the youth within the schools this company is involved with. More often than not, it is a very high stress environment in general. The educational and paid leave benefits are a selling point but question them before simply accepting the job.
Pros
The kids you work with almost make it worth it to deal with company wide issues.
Cons
Management input is almost nonexistent... there is plently of non follow through.
April 10, 2017

I appreciate your honest feedback. While we are still working collaboratively with our partners to design and implement our individual service models here in Washington, our commitment is always to our students and families. I would very much appreciate having the opportunity to meet with you directly to hear more about your thoughts and ideas. Please contact me at lihi_rosenthal@senecacenter.org if you would like to continue the conversation. Thanks again, Lihi

supportive work environment
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 7, 2017
positive workplace culture. You will be able to get hands on experiences, however this is an entry level job for social work. No room for growth unless you want to become a supervisor in your program. No room for raises.
March 9, 2017

Thank you for being a part of our team and for being a part of the positive work culture. I agree that increases and growth have been challenging for us in this region; we are fully aware of this and working diligently to make progress. There has been recent headway on merit increases and there may also be future opportunities within the region to further discuss. I encourage you to talk further with your program director about your professional goals and interests. I would also enjoy the opportunity to share with you about upcoming regional opportunities and how we can enhance your learning experience in your current position. Thank you again for the feedback and please contact me if you’d like to discuss more, 510-564-4004. Josie Aye Roemhild, Executive Director, Southern CA Programs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seneca Family of Agencies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3