Senior Helpers Employee Reviews in United States

non-interested management
Caregiver for Elderly (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 31, 2016
was employed as live-in caregiver (24/7) and asked for assistance with living conditions like outdated food and meds several times and did not receive it. the management seemed to be overstaffed too many hands or mouths to go through or no response or action taken, too many "pass the buck" except for the failing attempt to micromanage by taking no actions or extreme actions.
Pros
seasonal bonus
Cons
very very low compensation
enjoyable job
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2016
I liked working fr the company. a typically days work was very enjoyable. management team and co-worker are very nice and respectable.The hardest part for me is not getting so attached to client. the most enjoyable part is taking care of the clients.
Pros
incentives & raises
Cons
no medical or dental insurance
Productive place to work for
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INMarch 15, 2016
The hardest part about the job is the physical demands it puts on your body depending on the client. Companionship is the main ingredient.
Pros
flexable schedules
Cons
no benefits
Worked as a Secretary in an office with 3 others Secretaries
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INOctober 16, 2015
I would type stenographic reports, file, fax and use the switchboard.

I learned how to get along with the different people we encounter.

Everyone their was absolutely wonderful. The hardest part of the job was the transportation, as it was in downtown Chicago.

Fridays are boss would take us girl for a 2 hour lunch and pay for it!
Pros
I typed alot, which I love.
Cons
They could of paid us Secretaries a better salary.
Terrible
Caregiver/Companion (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 4, 2016
After waiting nearly a month I finally received a case that was a half hour from my house. Management was arguing with me about the location and distance in which I know the area very well and I know it was wrong. They told me it would take me 20 minutes to get there and it took over a half hour. Of course I went anyway because it was the right thing to do. I was also to do another case that was abruptly and without notice withdrawn.
I don't understand why a company would hire you and then have you wait nearly a month for a paycheck.
Luckily for me I had found another position. I also did the right thing again and told management immediately and told them I would still finish my week with the client.
Three hours went by and then I get a phone call to tell me I've been replaced. I was also told that they EXPECTED a two week notice! Are you kidding me? I worked a total of 4 hours!
So in other words, they want someone dependable but you can't depend upon the company for work.
GOOD RIDDANCE!
Pros
Sitting with a lovely old woman
Cons
NO WORK
Comfortable work setting
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work for me would be very comfortable only time i was on my feet is when i had to take my client to the bathrom, or to clean, or to prepare meals.I learned different things about the clients like what their dislikes and likes are and i also learned what they afraid of. The management their are awesome they work with you and they always want you to let them know whats going on over there if there were any progress. My co-workers were always on time to relieve me and they called me whenever they needed information on anything and i did the same. The hardest part of my job was through out the night my clients would sometimes wake up screaming and yelling but i would just reasure them that everything is ok and they can go back to sleep. The most enjoyable part of my job was hearing their life story and how on different subjects thats going on in the world.
I enjoy working with my co-workers. They're all very helpful when you need them.
Senior Helpers (Current Employee) –  Havertown, PAJune 14, 2016
My typical day at work is assisting clients with multiple chronic diagnosis such as COPD, Asthma, and Emphysema. I ensure efficacy of my clients treatments on a day to day basis.
Because of my job, I have a better understanding of medical terminology, and medications.
I have a good support team when it comes to dealing with my supervisors, they are willing to help me with anything I am unsure of. I'm not afraid to ask them for help. My co-workers are wonderful team players. Sometimes It can be challenging dealing with a lot of different personalities from many of my clients, but I understand exactly how they feel so I managed to sympathize with them. The most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on my clients face, it's a rewarding feeling.
Pros
The best part of my job is putting a smile on my clients face.
Cons
I deal with many clients, sometimes it can be challenging remembering their likes and dislikes.
Growth, development, trust
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Peachtree, VAApril 7, 2016
I loved every client I've got to assist still being in the comfort of their home. I knew at times there would be challenges to gaining trust especially when it comes to the elderly. Even then with the tough day's it opened my eyes and taught me that I could not do the same things with my clients. Each one of them had a different personality, enjoyed doing different things and so on. I needed to perfect myself to be a great caregiver for them. The most hurtful part about the job were the client and their families I had to see go because they passed away. As a CNA they stress you do not have a close relationship with whom your caring for and just do your job. That was very hard for me because everyone I've cared for didn't treat me that way and welcomed me into their family and home and I wouldn't change it for anything.
Pros
Giving back
Cons
Letting go when its time
Good job if you don't need benefits and looking for something new each and everyday!
Senior Helpers (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 18, 2015
Each day was different. Different cases different clients. However I did build some life long relationships and grew to love each and everyone of my clients.
Pros
Enhancing their lives in a positive way
Cons
No benefits
I love the clients but the management is very unprofessional
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 7, 2016
I work with senior helpers for three weeks and I was not paid,reason the management said I didn't turn in my time sheet so they not paying me,I went to the office which is one and the half hours way from where i live,give them my time sheet and still they refused to give me give my check,it was mother's day weekend and I wanted my money but they refused to pay me,the management is so unprofessional and don't know know how to treat employees,because they are in the office so they think they are better than us that goes to clients homes and do the job that makes them to get a pay check,they are so fake,for me to work and clock in and out on your time and they have everything on records but still refused to pay me,that's some big mess of a job and the only job that takes$25.00 off you money if you turn in your time sheet late,who does that?That's sterling from minimum range citizens,I will never work for this company anymore.
Always productive, Very exciting
Direct care worker (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVMay 16, 2016
I would go into work and immediately have to start feeding and giving the animals water, we would clean the kennels out, take the dogs outside.
I learned most animals are not so scary to be around.
The management was always great to work with and was there when you needed them.
The co-workers was very fun to work with.
The hardest part was trying to get all the dogs in the back to go outside so we could there kennels.
What I most enjoyed about this job was watching how excited the dogs would get excited when we gave them there treats at the very end of the day.
There was never a slow down moment when I worked here.
Amazing workplace and great experience
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 21, 2016
I go to work and help take care of the residents. When I first arrive, I complete my first set of rounds, making sure everyone is okay and they are on their way to dinner. Dinner is served in the main dinning room and up on the third floor which I help my co workers complete this task. After that, I get ready to do my night rounds which involves showers, laundry and other things that the resident needs. After these rounds, I do rounds every two hours. I learned how to manage my time by developing a routine that fits the residents best. My co workers are amazing, we are a team. The hardest part of the job is the residents passing away, its very hard for me because I was there for them. I learned how to not let this get to me because my goal is to become a nurse and I'll experience this more in the nursing field. The most enjoyable part is being able to speak life and help others.
Pros
amazing workers and atmosphere
Cons
healthcare only available for full time workers
It's a good place to work if you're flexible with your hours and don't mind driving to the location and using your gas.
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 25, 2016
It's really hard to get on the same page as the scheduler, and they don't tell you your schedule change until about a day before they change it. i went from working 40+ hours a week to only one 5 hour shift once maybe twice a week and i cannot afford to live off that. I wasn't properly trained on how to change and apply a new Colostomy and Uriostomy bag, which is 1 bag for urine and one bag for stool that comes out of your stomach area. Along with that, i wasn't properly trained on how to drain the bags. The coworkers are very nice and willing to help you if you need a day off or if your having trouble with a client in some areas they're always willing to help you find a way to make it better and give advice.
Pros
everyone is really nice you get paid per mile you drive outside of 22 miles, very flexible with hours and schedule
Cons
communication is lacking, i got abused by one of the residents, management accused me of lying, very vague with training, hard to get a hold of, the time-sheets were confusing as they have each schedule in the computer
Fun, busy environment
Senior Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Havertown, PAJuly 12, 2015
This company is an overall a great company, great location, co-workers are fun and great to be around. The caregivers I assign make my job easy because they are so appreciative. I enjoy making my clients happy, and I can see and feel that over the phone. The environment and surroundings of the people I am around are like family.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
No health benefits, no room for growth
Chaos
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLMarch 1, 2016
changing staff, poor work life balance, demanding management and overall lack of clear communication and greedy owners.
Work with a multitude of individuals
HOME HEALTH AIDE (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PADecember 27, 2015
A typical day is providing AM care (bathing, grooming, dressing, and lighthousekeeping)
I learn a lot about the different cultures and how people behave by going to the different individuals homes.
I do not interact much with my co-workers and I find my managers and supervisors to be very supportive. The hardest part of my job is having to move on to other patients when my clients pass on or no longer require services. The most enjoyable part of my day is talking to my clients and getting a sense of how they are feeling and what they have been doing.
Pros
Cultural awareness
Cons
Not getting traditional breaks and lunches to eat and recooperate
Companion Care
Companion (Former Employee) –  Whiting, NJMarch 5, 2016
This company is ridiculous, I accepted work for two very nice elderly people. I called the office because I was concerned about how one of the clients was treated by her son. I started to discuss the issue but was abruptly cut off "I don't have time for chit chat".
I would get phone calls while caring for a client to go see another client 25 miles away. For $9.00 per hour! Really...
They should be closed, they do not care about their clients at all!
Pros
Cons
Hourly wage for NJ is ridiculous, they do not care about the clients just their $22.00 per hour charge to the clients.
HIGH turnover...Horrible Company!!
Float Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 14, 2016
I got hired with the company back in March. At first loved the job. I would work with different clients that were great. Then the company started scheduling me for multiple shifts around Madison in one day. I would leave home on the east side and work on the west side for a few hours than have another client on the east side after that then would have another client on the West side to end my day. I asked a few time if they could schedule me on the same side of town for one day which, they agree then they continued to schedule me around Madison in one day. They guaranteed me 40 hours a week regardless of what hours I was scheduled( if it was less than 40 hrs) and the contract was for me to have pen availability from 7am to 7pm which I agreed and signed the contract. After 3 months of working with them, the Caregiver Manager threatened my job saying there are two other people were in line to become a Float for Senior Helpers because she wanted me to pick up shifts that were out of the 7am to 7pm time frame. Which, I told her I wasn't obligated to pick up those shifts even though I did a few times before.
Pros
The clients are great and the compensation
Cons
driving back and forth around Madison in one day to cover shifts and management
Wonderful Oppritunities
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 22, 2016
I loved working for Senior Helpers and all that it stands for. Management is very caring of every person involved from clients to employees. The demand of this job is very intense and for good reasons. The normal day to day challenges were wonderful if you like problem solving. The most enjoyable part of this job was working close with clients and caregivers to find the best match and suitable care.
Productive and healthy environments
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PADecember 11, 2015
Everyday on the job is basic caring and helping seniors. I learned more of how individuals need you and what makes them depend on you. Management was limited and only was there if we needed them and working with co-workers within the assigned facilities was always useful. The hardest part of the job was being informed that one of your clients had a fall or died. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that everyday I make a difference in someone's life.
Pros
helping, caring, and developing better enviornments
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Senior Helpers. Our community is ready to answer.