Senior Lifestyle Corporation

Senior Lifestyle Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible management, not valued, low pay for hard work
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYDecember 5, 2015
Working here made me feel constantly stressed out. I gave 110% everyday for management to nit pick and write me up over little things, a lot due to not enough accurate training. Thrown right into working after short training period. Long hiring process (almost 2 months). Constantly short staffed and a high turnover rate. You do more work than what you get paid for. Don't value their employees or their safety. Keep residents longer than they should just to fill rooms.
Pros
Cooked meals for cheap, activities for staff and families, awesome residents
Cons
Bad health care benefits, stress filled work environment, constantly working short staffed, high turnover
Makes good people frustrated!
Wellness Director of Personal Care Home (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 3, 2016
In my 30+ year career, I have never experienced such a mismanaged company in my life! Many of us gave everything we had physically and emotionally out of love for our residents and families. Our only reward was micromanagement from a regional team that never visited and dictated protocols from Chicago with little clue to our demographics and specific state requirements. Many of us sacrificed our spirit to keep the building running but could not continue to do so and leave disheartened! SLC is a horrible company to work for with the only focus being the bottom dollar and making money. They should be embarassed calling themselves a caring place for our most precious population!
Pros
Amazing residents, families & staff
Cons
Administration & Corporate Team only care about money
Worst company I've worked for
personal care aide (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYJanuary 3, 2016
The care for their employees and residents is atrocious and they fail miserably at training staff appropriately. Pay isn't nearly enough for the workload and you'll most likely never hear an encouraging comment come from management's mouth. They are most concerned with filling rooms, not quality of care for the residents. Management would rather let call bells go off for 15 minutes and page (already preoccupied) PCAs to answer them instead of walking to a room that's 10 feet away to see what the resident needs. You're consistently running around and stressed out for the full 8 hour shift.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Constantly short staffed, low pay, lack of appreciation, high stress level
beautiful building, with too many issues for one nurse
Assisted Living Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne IndinanMay 18, 2015
I spent a short time as Assisted Living Director. It is a beautiful building with a lot of management turn over recently and unfortunately too many issues to be handled by one nurse director. I feel that the ED wanted to make a lot of changes and eventually will but the 70 hour weeks were too much for me and my family. The constantly hostile attitued expressed by many of the cna's made my job a continuous up hill battle and made me feel threatened. The Lack of nurses made me feel uncomfortable. Would be ideal career for someone who could put in the constant hours and had no outside life.
Pros
encouragement from ED and BOM was amazing
Cons
too many hours on salary wages, disrespectful support staff who were resistant to change.
Great Culture and Growing Company
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 3, 2016
Senior Lifestyle invests and is dedicated to their employees. If you work hard and genuinely care, there are always advancement opportunities. They look to promote within. Great opportunities here. The teams really genuinely care for the residents and their families. Very rewarding industry.
Pros
Culture, Advancements, Leadership Training
Cons
Benefits could be better
Worst job Ive ever had
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville Beach, FLJuly 19, 2016
Current employee of Jacksonville Beach branch. This is, by far, the most poorly ran company I have ever worked for. Management only comes for the paycheck, most of the time not showing up at all. New employees come and go within just a few days of starting. Most say due to improper training and seeing management sit on their butts and bark out orders. Every single manager here DOES NOT know how to communicate without yelling or making the employees feel small. All workers that care about thier jobs are the ones who take the brunt of how poorly ran this place is. Most working doubles, even triples because management refuses to come in when we are short. I have not talked to a single coworker who is happy with working here. Not a one! We are literally losing residents by the day! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE! Otherwise, residents will keep leaving, employees will leave and the ones that stay lack serious motivation! Corporate has been here for a few weeks and no one has seen any improvement. I would never suggests this place to anyone looking for a job much less residents looking for a place to live. I would never want my family member living in a place like this. Corporate needs to get a handle on this before its too late. If I could give negative stars, I would.
Pros
Residents and co workers
Cons
Everything aside from residents and coworkers

Comment – August 1, 2016

My name is Beth Behr, and as the Vice President of Operations for the East Division, I wanted to thank you for taking time to post your feedback. I was disappointed to learn you are unhappy, as I truly value each and every employee and have the utmost respect for what you do each and every day to enrich the lives of those that reside in our communities. It is our standard as a company to provide “Best in Class” services to our residents and a “Best in Class” culture for all employees. There is no doubt that communication and respect in the work place are key components to a positive employee culture. I would encourage you to reach out to me so that we can discuss your situation in a more personal setting. I can be reached by email at bbehr@seniorlifestyle.com or by cell at 561-859-7691. I promise to protect your anonymity and encourage you to contact me. Thank you again for your time.

Horrible place!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 18, 2016
Management only cares about making money. Favoritism among employees. Management has no idea what the workers have to do day to day. Please don't let your loved one move into one of their facilities. Will milk you for all your money and not provide the care you pay for.
Pros
Other employees, residents
Cons
Horrible insurance, lack of communication

Comment – May 23, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. At Senior Lifestyle, we strive every day to provide a best-in-class experience not just for our residents, but also our employees. We are sorry that you feel this way and invite you to reach out to us to personally discuss your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at 312-523-4839. Thank you again for your feedback; Jack Omer, Regional Director of Operations overseeing Cincinnati, OH.

unprofessional and uncaring people
medication tech (Former Employee) –  yuma, azOctober 17, 2015
Untrained staff providing care for elderly residents. I was hired as a caregiver at first then applied for a medication tech and I was given the position, I was a CNA and a nursing student but most medication techs had no medical background or training yet they are administering medications. Unskilled people providing very mediocre care. When I tried talking to management about the poor practices I witnessed during my shifts I was told to try to get along with the others.
Pros
the residents
Cons
management and caregivers very unprofessional
Unprofessional
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 21, 2016
Worked as a CNA for an SLC ran assisted living. Issues never addressed properly, management played favorites, kept abusive aides around, if they didn't like you they railroaded you. Allowed aides to yell at each other down halls on third shift.

Comment – May 25, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us as we take these very seriously and work hard and strive to meet our employee’s needs. My name is Shawn Lahr, Regional Director of Operations for Kansas, and I would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you directly to get more details regarding your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at 402-212-4923. Thank you.

Alright place.
Server (Current Employee) –  WisconsinApril 16, 2015
Currently working here. In our kitchen we mop our floors every night. We always wash our hands, and wear gloves while preparing food, and drinks. We change gloves often, and wash hands often. The executive chef is amazing! He cooks very good and works with the menu, the meals are always healthy, and we've never ran out of food. We always have extra for employees, so we get free meals. One day a week a coworker and I do a deep cleaning day. Every day we mop our floors, keep them swept nicely, and it's an overall clean kitchen, and working in the kitchen is a great job. The pay on the otherhand isn't so great, I've been in fast food in the past making more money than I make here, I also have been promised a raise for months, and it's never come. The people that come in don't seem to actually be 'assisted living.' They seem like they need much more help than the people they hire can do. Some of the caregivers aren't that great, with being on their phones while helping residents or, leaving residents unattended. I try my best as a server, to actually pull their weight by helping them out as caregivers. The drama seems to create a lot of amminossity, where people are acting out in front of residents and their families.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pay
Great Experience
concierge (Current Employee) –  Lantana, FLNovember 26, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work great management and staff. Once you are part of the team it feels as if we are all family. It is an amazing experience to obtain while young. You see the way a business should and can be ran. Working for elderly shows you to appreciate ever aspect of life.
Customer Service
Concierge/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Lantana, FLApril 23, 2016
Being able to manage a variety of people while keeping a nice smile and greeting everyone as if they were all the same. Its also a great way to build relationships with the residents.
Company's Upper Management was Awful
Director of Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Dallas, txJuly 7, 2013
I haven't worked there for four years, but at the time, the folks in the corporate office were amazingly rude and offensive. They were also seemingly under-qualified and lacked relevant experience. My entire career had been in senior housing, so it was difficult to pretend the upper management had any insight or intelligence. I will say that the family that "owned" the company seemed very genuine. Sadly, they were being led by the blind.
Pros
Pay and benefits competitive
Cons
Awful VPs and poor leadership at the regional level as well
I've watched my worth diminish over the last 5 years
Sales (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 21, 2016
I used to love my job. I worked for great people who loved serving our seniors. I was well trained, treated with respect even when given direction. I was mentored and given growth opportunities. But over the last several months SLC has been jabbing us left and right.
First they took away Cigna insurance in 2015, and gave ok insurance to anyone with a director title and terrible insurance to anyone without. The terrible insurance was not widely accepted and you were hard pressed to find any coverage for anything- so many people had to purchase private insurance. Then, SLC mismanaged employee premiums for that insurance and for months hundreds of employees were unknowingly uninsured. Nearly a year since the issue began, and they've never released a statement, apologized, or attempted in any way to rectify this with their employees. They remain silent in Chicago. They started paying commissions and bonuses 60 days out- seemingly so that when people start resigning they can keep the bonuses because they won't pay earned commissions after you leave even if you work out your notice. They recently changed holiday pay from time/time to time/half. Just anyway they can nickle and dime their employees. The corporate office is a revolving door and even the son of the founder left and started his own business. It's time to follow the rats off of the sinking ship. #KevinBennemaTakeMeWithYou
In summation, no benefits, high enough salary so you think you are well compensated but the competition pays a little bit of lower salary but gives better benefits, PTO, mat. leave, 401k contributions,
  more... stock.  less
Pros
At the campus level, the people are wonderful
Cons
everything else.
worst employment experience I have ever had.
Previous Memory Care Director (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYDecember 18, 2014
I have never worked for a company that has such poor Managers (upper). The lack of staff support is obvious. If a staff member is "liked" by certain managers...whether at location or regional/corporate, they have job security. For anyone not in the "click", your walking on egg shells daily. The training of managers and staff is horrible..the executive directors change very frequently causing staff moral to suffer. The aides take wonderful care of the residents, if only the management team showed more of an interest in appreciation of hard workers and less focus on filling beds..I will NEVER recommend this company for employment.
Cons
low pay, lack of appreciation, poor communication between corporate and the local facility, and inconsistent management
Productive, busy, rewarding.
River Bend House Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wheelersburg, OHDecember 30, 2015
My days as a River Bend Attendant were short-lived, but it served as an excellent learning experience. Each day, I was given the opportunity to work with residents that possessed a wide array of personalities. Providing entertainment, a listening ear, assistance with hygiene, and food services were all of importance to my position. It does not sound difficult, but some days were very challenging. My favorite part of the job was time spent with the residents and learning about them on a more personal level. However, the work expected out of attendants was too much for the low pay they receive. I could tell my co-workers were over worked all the time. It is a constant rush from one task to the next, plus any complications that might arise with the residents. Busy is not a strong enough word to describe the work duties.

My interpersonal skills grew from my time at River Bend. I learned how to best handle residents who are not in a clear state of mind. Each situation has to be handled with care, and it is important to remain calm and collected. Self-control and efficiency are two major strengths I gained as an attendant, and I am very grateful for that.
Pros
Clean environment, great residents.
Cons
Short lunch break, low pay, too many responsibilities with little time.
Healthy Nurturing environment
Dining Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, ColoradoJune 18, 2015
Payroll approvals
inventory/ordering
HR daily minutes meetings
Communicated with FOH & BOH to ensure accurate menus I generated with a Crandall format
oversee time & temp logs
visit with residents to brighten their day and meet their meal requests
Programming and events meetings
disciplinary actions where needed
Performed jobs for the F&B manager that required computer skills
programmed computer daily for menu
Hardest part of the job was deciding which tie to wear that day
Most enjoyable aspect of job was brightening the residents day's by a simple smile or conversation
Pros
health benefits / vacation time / healthy work environment
Cons
developing a friendship with a residet that passes
company lacks loyalty and direction
nurse (Current Employee) –  dallasSeptember 3, 2015
This company has unqualified corporate personell that comes to your community and turns it upside down. Let's line staff dictate the direction and atmosphere of the community, department heads are NOT respected. Hostile work environment and corporate is behind part of it!!! Corporate brings in unqualified staff to run departments that require licences staff. Community is beautiful, but entirely to large for one nurse to oversee working12 to 14 hr days and on call 24/7. Currently seeking alternative employment so that I can regain my family and personal life that this company fails to acknowledge you have. Also if I was a investors NO I would NOT Invest in this company nor would I put a loved one here!!
Pros
Residents, families & coworkers
Cons
everthing about this company
Most racist company in Texas in my opinion
executive director (Former Employee) –  texasJuly 16, 2014
In my opinion, this company does not hide the fact that they will not allow minorities to work in its senior management positions. They claim it is not the culture of the owners. I have even seen them hire unqualified directors over minorities. They talk down to lower level staff and offer the lowest wages in the industry. If your current management company is not doing well you will soon be taken over by SLC because they are known for cutting wages, budgets and firing staff who have been in their jobs for a long time. The regional staff are very unprofessional. They don't care about the residents and serve low quality food to the elderly. Your parent can be sick and they will try as long as they can to keep the resident in the community to keep their money. Don't work here and don't bring your family here.
Cons
the company as a whole
Most enjoyable company
Medical Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZOctober 8, 2015
I was really happy at this facility. But had to move on to further my career in medical records. I really enjoyed the team efforts here.

2.4