Senior Lifestyle Corporation

Senior Lifestyle Corporation Employee Reviews

Alright place.
Server (Current Employee), WisconsinApril 16, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: Pay
Currently working here. In our kitchen we mop our floors every night. We always wash our hands, and wear gloves while preparing food, and drinks. We change gloves often, and wash hands often. The executive chef is amazing! He cooks very good and works with the menu, the meals are always healthy, and we've never ran out of food. We always have extra for employees, so we get free meals. One day a week a coworker and I do a deep cleaning day. Every day we mop our floors, keep them swept nicely, and it's an overall clean kitchen, and working in the kitchen is a great job. The pay on the otherhand isn't so great, I've been in fast food in the past making more money than I make here, I also have been promised a raise for months, and it's never come. The people that come in don't seem to actually be 'assisted living.' They seem like they need much more help than the people they hire can do. Some of the caregivers aren't that great, with being on their phones while helping residents or, leaving residents unattended. I try my best as a server, to actually pull their weight by helping them out as caregivers. The drama seems to create a lot of amminossity, where people are acting out in front of residents and their families.
Don't work here or move in your loved one
Management (Former Employee), Cincinnati OhMarch 8, 2015
Pros: other co-workers who were like minded
Cons: my hand would cramp if i listed them all
Everything you are reading here is true, unfortunately. Money money money, that's the goal. They move residents in who are inappropriate in their care needs, just to meet census numbers and cash in on their bonus. A very dangerous situation for all. The Regional person is a joke, all fluff and positive on the outside, but mean and spiteful on the inside. Very unhelpful with voiced concerns, she would rather get back to her crafting and desserts. In the end I felt very sorry for the residents and their families who were lied to regarding services available. And who wants to move Mom a second time? I was embarrassed to be associated with such poor care and disregard for another person's quality of life. No heart or soul, then SLC is a perfect fit for you.
Benefits are gone
anonymous (Current Employee), IllinoisDecember 20, 2014
Pros: great employees
Cons: no benefits
Very disappointed about losing health benefits. I thought this was a company who cared about their employees. Need additional hours (overtime?, don't think so) or will have to find part-time work to pay for private health insurance.
worst employment experience I have ever had.
Previous Memory Care Director (Former Employee), Cortland, NYDecember 18, 2014
Cons: low pay, lack of appreciation, poor communication between corporate and the local facility, and inconsistent management
I have never worked for a company that has such poor Managers (upper). The lack of staff support is obvious. If a staff member is "liked" by certain managers...whether at location or regional/corporate, they have job security. For anyone not in the "click", your walking on egg shells daily. The training of managers and staff is horrible..the executive directors change very frequently causing staff moral to suffer. The aides take wonderful care of the residents, if only the management team showed more of an interest in appreciation of hard workers and less focus on filling beds..I will NEVER recommend this company for employment.
worst working experience of my professional life
Dining Services Director (Former Employee), Peoria, AZNovember 15, 2014
Pros: a remote chance to be of some service to senior citizens
Cons: working for a company that couldn't care less about its client and employees
Having encountered the completely festered corporate culture of this company, I can only say one thing to prospective employees of SeniorLifetsyle: Run. As a former departmental director (Dining Services), I was asked to deliver food services without benefit of safe, standard kitchen equipment, and to lead a staff demoralized by constant turnover, sub-standard industry wages, and unconscionable workplace conditions.
We served seniors constantly melted ice cream from freezers we couldn't fix. We held hot foods tepid in broken steam tables. We ran out of food routinely, sending residents home hungry. Our Executive Director scolded them like children when they complained. His campus cronies supported him. They all laughed at and mocked the seniors they'd been hired to serve in morning director's meetings.
After two months, it became more than I could take. I chose clear conscience over compensation and resigned.
If you're looking for a paycheck, Seniorlifestyle will suffice. You'll be asked to sell your soul in exchange, though. I'm sure some will say I'm overstating things a bit here. To those, I can only say go ahead; sign on the dotted line. And God help you.
The WORST company I have ever worked for!!!
Business Office Manager (Former Employee), Peachtree City, GAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: free lunch if you can stand to eat the food.
Cons: they do not care about staff or residents
While I was fortunate to work at one of the better communities, the company overall stinks. There is no support from regional managers or the corporate office. The company promotes caring, honesty, appreciation, respect & teamwork. This is a total joke! If you are in upper management you get paid extremely well, even if it is your staff that keeps you afloat. Company is full of greed. They care nothing about hourly employees or the residents which should be their first priority. If you are looking for a place for a loved one, stay away from Senior Lifestyle Corporation. I worked for company for 15 months and other than loving the residents at my community it was the worst experience ever.
ALL ABOUT MAXIMIZING PROFIT AND NOTHNG ABOUT QUALITY OF LIFE FOR RESIDENTS
Executive Director (Former Employee), WisconsinAugust 17, 2014
Pros: the residents
Cons: everything else
I was the executive director of a a large community in Wisconsin. How I wish I had read the reviews posted here before accepting a job with this corrupt company consumed by greed!

Very devious and unethical company, the worst I have ever worked for. Senior Lifestyle spends thousands of dollars on marketing to present the company and communities appear to be something very different from what they really are. They even tout that they are "family owned." Well, that only applies to the management company; they don't own the communities they manage, so that means nothing to prospective residents and families and the employees.

Senior Lifestyle is about making an ever increasing profit for the property owners, investors and the owners of Senior Lifestyle, and it is done at the expense of the unsuspecting residents, families and employees worked like slaves. All that talk about culture and values is just a smoke screen. The senior living industry is a multi-million dollar business, and Senior Lifestyle is doing everything they can to get the largest piece of the pie. There is a reason for the constant staff turnover. Management keeps cutting staff and expecting the communities to do more work with less staff.

Senior Lifestyle Corporation is nothing close to what they present themselves to be. People from their corporate office post "dummy" positive reviews every time someone posts a review here that upper management does not like. The owners of this company need to listen to what all the excellent employees they have lost or about to lose are trying to tell them. Senior Lifestyle needs a clean sweep of regional level management in Wisconsin. Better yet, maybe an ethical company will come along and buy out Senior Lifestyle.

September 17, 2014

ALL decisions and directives come from a regional level. Micromanagement is beyond belief. The executive director is just a puppet for the regionals and a punching bag when their decisions and directives are wrong. If you are an ethical person who really cares about seniors and doing things right, you will be miserable working for Senior Lifestyle at any of the Wisconsin Communities. Healthcare REIT is wondering what the problem is in Wisconsin. To any of us that has/had the miserable experience of working for an SLC community in Wisconsin, the answer is obvious.

Very Deceiving!!
Dining Room (Former Employee), northeast, wiAugust 6, 2014
Cons: kitchen employees dont wear gloves, dont like the people that run the place, boss is not friendly
Worked here for only a couple of months as I realized how management was horrible (everyone talks behind each others backs)/looks like a great place to work but it isn't. I am a person who does not deal with that and feel bad for those residents that put their money down for such a deceiving place they don't even know about. Would never recommend my family members to ever live there. Stuck up people need to grow up and take care of those residents. Sad.
productive and fun place to work
Server Assistant (Current Employee), Webster, NYJuly 26, 2014
Pros: getting requested time off when needed.
Cons: short breaks and always on your feet.
I enjoy my work helping the elderly residents at the senior living community and it is a friendly place to be around. Although it is an independent living community, some assistance is required by me. A simple 'hello' to an elderly person, makes their day. My job as server could be a bit fast-paced, but it makes the work day go by quicker.
Good place to work.
Program Director (Former Employee), San Angelo, TXJuly 22, 2014
Salaries are not up with industry standards. A lot of corporate involvement which sometimes is hindering.
Most racist company in Texas in my opinion
executive director (Former Employee), texasJuly 16, 2014
Cons: the company as a whole
In my opinion, this company does not hide the fact that they will not allow minorities to work in its senior management positions. They claim it is not the culture of the owners. I have even seen them hire unqualified directors over minorities. They talk down to lower level staff and offer the lowest wages in the industry. If your current management company is not doing well you will soon be taken over by SLC because they are known for cutting wages, budgets and firing staff who have been in their jobs for a long time. The regional staff are very unprofessional. They don't care about the residents and serve low quality food to the elderly. Your parent can be sick and they will try as long as they can to keep the resident in the community to keep their money. Don't work here and don't bring your family here.
Fun place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILJuly 12, 2014
Pros: residents
Cons: pay
Loved working with the residents as I worked closely with Activity Director created and implemented programs.
So not what they portray to the outside world!
Memory Care (Former Employee), Colorado SpringsJuly 11, 2014
Pros: residents
Cons: everything else
Prior to applying, I thought all of these reviews were just disgruntled employees. Suffice it to say, I was wrong! I echo the sentiment that this company is all about the bottom line. It is appalling to me the amount of money these residents pay, privately mind you, NO insurance accepted, the corners that are cut. For the several thousands of dollars paid per month, these families could hire one on one, full time help at home. I agree with the reviewer who said if you truly love seniors, you can't feel good about working for this corporation. I could go on and on, but believe me, the residents best interests are NOT at heart by this company.
Lack of resources & micromanagement
Server (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2014
Ageing facility where resources are seemingly scarce for the amount of money that residents pay to be there. Certain foodstuffs would always run out, leaving residents aggravated & putting pressure on staff to shoulder the blame. Management is in dictatorship-regime form where nepotism is rampant and micromanagement of staff lacks. Communication between staff and management was awful. Overall lack of coordination and privileged management structure leads to an alienating worker experience. Lack of resources would be blamed on staff in management-resident meetings. Fraternization occurred between chefs & other staff.
Amazing Company with high level of INTEGRITY
Director (Current Employee), McHenry, ILMay 2, 2014
SLC has solid protocols and procedures and an incredibly supportive and responsive Corporate Team. SLC is constantly trying to create innovative new programming ideas in senior care. It is a true honor and pleasure to be a part of this team, this culture.
Horrible Managment from CEO to VPO's to ED
Royal Estates of San Angelo (Former Employee), San Anglo, TexasMarch 31, 2014
Pros: the residents, $2.00 lunches
Cons: upper managment, corp managment, bonuses, turnover
The company at a local level is a revolving door for both management and hourly employees. You ARE expendable and they let that be known frequently. No matter how diligent and dependable of a worker you are means nothing to the higher ups. The corporate office could care less for the residents (the people you actually work for). It is ALL about bottom dollar. So if sweet Mrs. Jane Doe shower quit working properly and you are going to go over budget repairing her shower you had better not repair her shower. The Corporate office cares less about the residents and even less about its employees.

Within a little over a year of working there I watched them fire then hire a BOM, Fire 2 Executive directors and hire in a third, Fire 2 sales and marketing directors hire 2 to replace them and then fire those 2 at different times, Fire an Activities director (who did an amazing job with residents), Fire 1 Assisted Living Director hire another then within months she too was fired. Then I was let go only so that they may try part time hourly instead of full time salary for a property that has over 140 rooms to be maintained along with grounds. That idea failed miserably and the facility and grounds show it. I also run into residents all the time in our small town, they either complain of the service more so or don't know any longer as they couldn't take the constant changes and decided to move to another assisted living community.

Please keep in mind this turnaround was management and in a 12-15 month period, hourly employee turn around was much worse.

To Note: The residents were AMAZING to work with on a daily basis. You get 100 good mornings and 100 good days. The residents were what motivated me to ALWAYS do my best and they cared genuinely for me there for I took an extra sense of pride in my job for their sake. Though corporate may not care for the residents, myself and many of the directors did truly care for them. More than likely why none of us are there any longer.
Great Place to work
Cook (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2013
Pros: i have flexibility on menu modifications.
Cons: the menu is limited to company specifications and does not contain anything special
Senior Lifestyle corporation is a great place to work for. Their values are Caring, Honesty, Appreciation, Respect, and Teamwork. Everyone works together to make these things happen on a daily basis.
I work the grill and sandwich a la carte station, the salad station and a set service hot line. I assist with prep for future menus and catering events. I love my co-workers. I try my best to tolerate all the several personalities found at my job. This would probably be the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my boss. He was a student of "THE" master Chef.
Numbers first, Residents Last
Executive Director (Former Employee), USSeptember 25, 2013
I was with SLC for Four years. I was an Executive Director of a fairly large property.

I witnessed almost on a daily basis the unethical treatment of residents, and visitors.
As an Executive director the final go ahead for a new move in is your decision. The decision should be based on a few key factors:
1. Is this guest appropriate for the level of care your building is licensed for?
2. WIll admission of this guest have a direct impact on their life, IE, will this move benefit them, or will they have to move agin in 1.5 years as they decline.

Well in this company the pushy sales people over ride every one. As long as the sales person gets a move in that is all that matters. No matter how much strain it puts on staff, or on the resident.

If the ED says no, a call gets placed to the pushy regional sales people, then the fight against morals, vs move ins begin.

After the ED wins the first battle, then the VP of operations for that region calls the ED and regardless of the facts, the guest is moved in.

Its all about the CENSUS, the COMMISSION, The End of month growth for the VP. Trust me once you stand up for yourself and the resident, YOUR OUT.

And the people at the top in Chicage turn a blind eye. I tried many times to alert them and they just hit the delete button.
Worst run business ever
Sales/marketing (Former Employee), NortheastSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: not much
Cons: everything
Bad all around. If you truly love seniors, you cannot work for this company and be witness to the madness and still be sane.
Management Problems
management (Former Employee), TennesseeAugust 16, 2013
Cons: management problems
I re-signed from The Pointe At Kirby Gate, Memphis, Tn. by choice not that I was force out or giving the choice of leaving or getting fired. My understanding that what happen to the ED now at the Pointe, when she was working at another assisted living before coming there. I refused to do the things that she wanted me to do such as: allowing residents in without the proper paper work( TB skin test, POA, Dr. orders, Medical history etc.) The only thing she cared about was getting a body in not the residents. She only wants to get 100% capacity for a bonus. It was all about the money. You have A memory Care department that have a no experience Director running that department. I felt so sorry for the memory care residents because they are just wasting their life in memory care. I refused to treat the staff like slaves and that is my understanding what going on now. My understanding there is a couple of EEOC complaints going on now. ( Why would a ED tell her staff not to be friends with a former employee? ) She should be more concern with Points not a former employees. Yet, she can call her former employees ( where she use to work) and asks them to come work with her and call former residents family and get them to bring their family members over to the Pointe by lying to them making it hard for the staff. Telling the family member certain things she can provide for their family which is not part of assisted living. There is a lot of things that is wrong at the Pointe such as ( staffing, charge card being max out, proper paper work, Tb skin tests on employees and residents, ) My – more... understanding a husband cared his wife home and The Pointe called the police to the man house. There is no POA on file for this person. So, what will make the Points call the police to this man house. ( trying to keep 100% capacity) Also why would a mandatory chest x-ray be required to all employees. They are to get a PPD every year. Why is it a chest x-ray mandatory? This is something the employees are asking. Why not a PPD? If you really care about your love one visit as much as possible. There is a lot of things going on that the company knows about and have not done a thing about it. – less

About Senior Lifestyle Corporation

Senior Lifestyle Corporation, founded in 1985, is a privately held owner, operator and developer of seniors housing communities. – Read more

Senior Lifestyle Corporation Salaries