Sentara Health

Sentara Health Employer Reviews

Overall review summary
IT MANAGER (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 13, 2014
Overall the experience has been positive. Secure work environment and co-workers are very enjoyable to work with on a day to day basis. Overall great place to work. Learned to balance work/life with responsibilities at work and coach others to do so as well.
Great Entry Level Job
Pharmacy Clerk (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 28, 2014
Pros: freedom to create sales and displays, greater responsibility for yourself, success comes with dedication
Cons: short breaks, lack of direction in the beginning, harder to balance workload at times
This was a great job for me, especially right out of college. It was a 9-5 Monday through Friday. So I had a solid 40 hours per week, and a dependable paycheck. I was a Pharmacy Associate, but the actual job was so much more than that. It was easier for me to spend more time with my family because of the steady hours, and the work was always interesting – more... for me. I did everything from placing orders, tracking sales, creating sales, and setting up electronic inventory to more. When I came in, there was nobody to really train me on my actual job too much, because there was a lapse in the position before I came in. So I had to learn a lot of things pretty much on my own or with some help from the manager. There was not much room for growth within the job just because you were about as "high up" as you could get within that frame of work. Because I was classified as a Pharmacy Associate, I would most likely have to get my tech license to really grow more. It was more like a Retail Sales Manager job, but there is no official title within the company for that. It was also difficult to perform duties behind the pharmacy counter and out front, because more often than not the behind the counter services won. The pharmacy was almost always extremely busy due to it being such a huge hospital. – less
Senior SQL Server developer & DBA
Senior SQL Server developer & DBA (Current Employee), VANovember 13, 2014
• Developed ETL package with different data sources (SQL Server, Flat Files, Excel Source files, etc.) and loaded the data into target tables by performing different kinds of transformations using SQL Server Integration Services.
• Created/Migrated packages from DTS packages to SSIS2005/ 2008 to SSIS2012.
• Involved in Upgrade and Migration of SQL Server – more... 2005/2008R2 in placed, side by side to MS SQL Server 2012. – less
Productive, fast-paced enviornment
Case Manager (Current Employee), Virginia BeachNovember 10, 2014
Great place to work! Extensive training provided. Co-workers team-oriented and supportive.
Great work environment where everyone works together as a team.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Suffolk, VANovember 9, 2014
Sentara Obici is by far the best place I have ever worked. The RT department is like a family. Everyone works together as a team to help with work load, keep schedule flexible, and cover open shifts.
Same supdervisor as Diamond Healthcare. Great job! Onlt left for greater pay doing exact same thing.
Driver/EMT-NCP (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 6, 2014
Pros: great patient care
My supervisor was very easy to work with. She always showed great communication skills. This was a position that provided very good Patient care.
Sentara is an amazing place to work. Feels like family.
Administrative Associate/Nursing Care Partner (Current Employee), Suffolk, VANovember 5, 2014
Pros: medical/dental/vision benefits, 403b, vacation/sick leave
Cons: can only work if the census calls for staff
Typical day at work:
Very busy and detail-oriented type of job. Our patients depend on us to provide the best care possible!

What I've learned:
I've learned to efficiently manage stress in order to provide exceptional care to our patients. I've learned that teamwork is very important.

Management:
The manager that I have been fortunate to work under – more... have been nothing but the best. They are compassionate and understanding with big hearts.

The hardest part of the job:
The hardest part of the job has been to meet patient's needs BEFORE they even know they need anything. (I excell at this).

The most enjoyable part of the job:
The most enjoyable part of the job has been the relationships, both with patients and co-workers, that I have built. It's like a family. – less
fun workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 29, 2014
very great work atmosphere, employees are always willing to lend a helping hand.
Ever changing environment
Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: great place to advance in the medical profession
Cons: to expand medical facilities
Great healthcare system. Positive work environment. Employs well educated people to take care of patients, handling daily activities for patients. Encouraging their employees to maintain current information. Sentara cares about keeping their employees and patients informed.
Always stays busy.
Medical Records Tech/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: staying busy and never having any down time.
A typical day at work consists of working with Medical Records and registering patients. Also doing data entry. This is the first job that I have worked in the medical field and learned a lot. The experiences that I have acquired with this job have carried me a long way. Some of my responsibilities include retrieving and bringing charts to the assigned – more... floors for the Clinical Staff to review. I was also responsible for calling and expediting transcripts for Doctors to review for urgent Patients. Also responsible for alerting the Doctors of their outstanding charts that need to be signed or are missing any documentation that pertain to the Patient. – less
Wrote and negoiatied contracts with manufactures and vendors.
MATERIELS CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: great bonuses when you met your contract goals.
Cons: no advancement
Daily review of upcoming contracts for renewal and daily checking invoice pricing compared to contracts. I learned we could negotiate better pricing than our GPO contracts. Management staff was great to work with and developed a great team.
Great job for an independent worker
COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATOR (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 22, 2014
This was a great part-time job, and a wonderful stepping stone to additional opportunities within Sentara Healthcare.
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: 3 breaks
Cons: tons of work, not enough people
Collect Scripts/ Orders
Verify insurance
Submit for Authorization
Get Patient Scheduled
Repeat 1-4
Great company
Maintenance technician (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 15, 2014
Great company to work for with a great invironment. Co-workers have always been friendly and the staff i work directly with is smart and fun to work with.
I enjoy working in the BCC office the hours are perfect
Patient Account Representative,Billing (Current Employee), Chesapeake VASeptember 8, 2014
Sentara is a great company to work for. I like the hours and pay most of all there is room for advancing and education to advance..
robots
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 7, 2014
corporation that controls salary for nurses in the hampton roads area due to majority of the hospitals being Sentara. overworked, underpaid (besides the ceo,s) no compassion for employees with medical conditions. nurses are expected to cover up for company but the company itself doesnt have its employees back.
management is awful
staff (Former Employee), barco ncAugust 29, 2014
Pros: i like the shift i work
Cons: nothing
The lack of employees and bad management is effecting the well fair of the residents. The upper management needs to lead by example. Not enough staff is the hardest part of my job, its a daily challenge even going into the facility. I love the residents and enjoy taking care of them. While working there I've learned nothing from the managers, but I – more... have learned there is no teamwork, nor is there respect amongst the staff. – less
very little raises
n/a (Current Employee), Woodbridge VAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: short lunches, unable to take days off
Run the other way poor management, unprofessional. No advancements, no room for growth. Your not heard. Overall your not appreciated at all. Very little pay, bonuses(if any), raises. Conveniently close to home.
I love working for Sentara
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 11, 2014
I love working for Sentara. I am currently looking for a permanent Administrative position.
Dietary Aide
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk VirginiaAugust 9, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: over worked and expected to do extra
Very Fast Pace always on yoyr feet barely get ant breaks because team leads, supervisors or managers never want to help well that's how to they do at Sentera Leigh Hospital

1 2 3 4 5

About Sentara Health

Health care's a beach for Sentara Healthcare. The not-for-profit organization operates a network of hospitals and other health – Read more

Sentara Health Photos