Sentara Health

Sentara Health Employer Reviews

Coworkers are great, but this company is TERRIBLE.
COTA (Former Employee), LifecareJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: work/life balance is non existent. company philosophy is really all about profit.
The company is legally a "non-profit" but you would never know it. The company philosophy, for example, is "not to come in if you feel the least bit sick." In actuality, they tell you to come in anyway. In a management quiz, one of the correct answers is that you should lie to your employees. Sentara Lifecare, the skilled nursing facilities, have lesser benefits than Healthcare, but they do not notify you when hired. Beware! I worked in therapy, and it is all about the money!!!!! Keep that productivity up--and most therapists work off the clock regularly to achieve this goal, even working while eating lunch.
Best Volunteering Experience
Infection Control Volunteer (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 5, 2015
I started volunteering at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital to prepare for Graduate school. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and have continued to spend my extra time volunteering. It has been a very memorable and selfless experience.

I learned how important infection control is to the wellbeing of patients and staff. The hardest part of my job was to inspect the rooms that were marked, knowing that other people's reputations were put into question. However, I received the satisfaction of knowing that I was promoting health and wellness by my efforts to establish a clean and healthy environment.
Enjoy my work life here 20 years ago but as we all know time has a way of changing a workplace as well as "corporate" and the people involved with it
CA, Registration Clerk & EKG Technician (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: we use to get free meals, no longer
Cons: yes, you sometimes don't get a lunch
I'm very involved with direct and indirect patient/customer care. What have I learned from managment, that's an open end conversation piece-when corporate takes over people change and it may not always be for the BEST. It's an ugly world that we live in and it's a hard lesson to learn even in a health field.
The "hardest" part of my job to have learned was when I worked Hospice/Home Health. I did this for over 10 years and in the last 3 years of Hospice I found myself becoming too close to my patients so I gave my notice. Death doesn't have a kindness nor victory/peace especially with cancer or a severe illness/just old age. I loved taking care of people and to watch someone die that I took care of day in and day out in my arms became almost unbearable so I had to walk away from that part of the health care field.
I'd say my most rewarding part has been working in the Heart & Vascular Center and getting to know all of the wonderful staff that works here in the department. I've been educated in many different areas and cross-trained in almost all the different different sections so I can say "I know that".lol
I Love working with the MD's here and I feel the same from them:)
Sentara Healthcare
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 26, 2014
Pros: safe work environment with ample opportunities for training
Cons: poor pay, variability in work culture/environment, and no nursing union to protect the rights of the largest workgroup represented.
This is a solid hospital and employer. Many departments provide excellent care; however, the unit specific work culture is highly influenced by middle management. This can equate to an excellent work environment, or conversely, an exceptionally miserable one. The hospital has an excellent cardiac program, but is lacking in new research. Nurses are poorly compensated throughout this organization as there are no unions and Sentara possesses a market monopoly. Good place to get your feet wet as a novice nurse. Many units are understaffed making OT mandatory on many of the units, which can adversely affect one's personally life.
review
Claims/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VADecember 18, 2014
When I worked for Sentara it was my first experience with working in the medical field. This is when I finished my major in Health Science/Business Management. I did a lot, customer service, claims, AR follow up, collections, etc. I had to leave because of my son needing me at home for his therapy when he was younger. I continue to think highly of Sentara as a patient.
na
Ecare System Administrator (Current Employee), virginiaDecember 14, 2014
Great enjoy working with the team that I work with. A great company great staff, everyone try to work as a team, which makes it easier to do your job.
Overall review summary
IT MANAGER (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 13, 2014
Overall the experience has been positive. Secure work environment and co-workers are very enjoyable to work with on a day to day basis. Overall great place to work. Learned to balance work/life with responsibilities at work and coach others to do so as well.
Great Entry Level Job
Pharmacy Clerk (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 28, 2014
Pros: freedom to create sales and displays, greater responsibility for yourself, success comes with dedication
Cons: short breaks, lack of direction in the beginning, harder to balance workload at times
This was a great job for me, especially right out of college. It was a 9-5 Monday through Friday. So I had a solid 40 hours per week, and a dependable paycheck. I was a Pharmacy Associate, but the actual job was so much more than that. It was easier for me to spend more time with my family because of the steady hours, and the work was always interesting for me. I did everything from placing orders, tracking sales, creating sales, and setting up electronic inventory to more. When I came in, there was nobody to really train me on my actual job too much, because there was a lapse in the position before I came in. So I had to learn a lot of things pretty much on my own or with some help from the manager. There was not much room for growth within the job just because you were about as "high up" as you could get within that frame of work. Because I was classified as a Pharmacy Associate, I would most likely have to get my tech license to really grow more. It was more like a Retail Sales Manager job, but there is no official title within the company for that. It was also difficult to perform duties behind the pharmacy counter and out front, because more often than not the behind the counter services won. The pharmacy was almost always extremely busy due to it being such a huge hospital.
Senior SQL Server developer & DBA
Senior SQL Server developer & DBA (Current Employee), VANovember 13, 2014
• Developed ETL package with different data sources (SQL Server, Flat Files, Excel Source files, etc.) and loaded the data into target tables by performing different kinds of transformations using SQL Server Integration Services.
• Created/Migrated packages from DTS packages to SSIS2005/ 2008 to SSIS2012.
• Involved in Upgrade and Migration of SQL Server 2005/2008R2 in placed, side by side to MS SQL Server 2012.
Productive, fast-paced enviornment
Case Manager (Current Employee), Virginia BeachNovember 10, 2014
Great place to work! Extensive training provided. Co-workers team-oriented and supportive.
Great work environment where everyone works together as a team.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Suffolk, VANovember 9, 2014
Sentara Obici is by far the best place I have ever worked. The RT department is like a family. Everyone works together as a team to help with work load, keep schedule flexible, and cover open shifts.
Same supdervisor as Diamond Healthcare. Great job! Onlt left for greater pay doing exact same thing.
Driver/EMT-NCP (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 6, 2014
Pros: great patient care
My supervisor was very easy to work with. She always showed great communication skills. This was a position that provided very good Patient care.
Sentara is an amazing place to work. Feels like family.
Administrative Associate/Nursing Care Partner (Current Employee), Suffolk, VANovember 5, 2014
Pros: medical/dental/vision benefits, 403b, vacation/sick leave
Cons: can only work if the census calls for staff
Typical day at work:
Very busy and detail-oriented type of job. Our patients depend on us to provide the best care possible!

What I've learned:
I've learned to efficiently manage stress in order to provide exceptional care to our patients. I've learned that teamwork is very important.

Management:
The manager that I have been fortunate to work under have been nothing but the best. They are compassionate and understanding with big hearts.

The hardest part of the job:
The hardest part of the job has been to meet patient's needs BEFORE they even know they need anything. (I excell at this).

The most enjoyable part of the job:
The most enjoyable part of the job has been the relationships, both with patients and co-workers, that I have built. It's like a family.
fun workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 29, 2014
very great work atmosphere, employees are always willing to lend a helping hand.
Ever changing environment
Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: great place to advance in the medical profession
Cons: to expand medical facilities
Great healthcare system. Positive work environment. Employs well educated people to take care of patients, handling daily activities for patients. Encouraging their employees to maintain current information. Sentara cares about keeping their employees and patients informed.
Always stays busy.
Medical Records Tech/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: staying busy and never having any down time.
A typical day at work consists of working with Medical Records and registering patients. Also doing data entry. This is the first job that I have worked in the medical field and learned a lot. The experiences that I have acquired with this job have carried me a long way. Some of my responsibilities include retrieving and bringing charts to the assigned floors for the Clinical Staff to review. I was also responsible for calling and expediting transcripts for Doctors to review for urgent Patients. Also responsible for alerting the Doctors of their outstanding charts that need to be signed or are missing any documentation that pertain to the Patient.
Wrote and negoiatied contracts with manufactures and vendors.
MATERIELS CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: great bonuses when you met your contract goals.
Cons: no advancement
Daily review of upcoming contracts for renewal and daily checking invoice pricing compared to contracts. I learned we could negotiate better pricing than our GPO contracts. Management staff was great to work with and developed a great team.
Great job for an independent worker
COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATOR (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 22, 2014
This was a great part-time job, and a wonderful stepping stone to additional opportunities within Sentara Healthcare.
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: 3 breaks
Cons: tons of work, not enough people
Collect Scripts/ Orders
Verify insurance
Submit for Authorization
Get Patient Scheduled
Repeat 1-4
Great company
Maintenance technician (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 15, 2014
Great company to work for with a great invironment. Co-workers have always been friendly and the staff i work directly with is smart and fun to work with.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sentara Health

Health care's a beach for Sentara Healthcare. The not-for-profit organization operates a network of hospitals and other health – Read more

Sentara Health Photos