Sentara Health

Sentara Health United States Employee Reviews

Same supdervisor as Diamond Healthcare. Great job! Onlt left for greater pay doing exact same thing.
Driver/EMT-NCP (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 6, 2014
Pros: great patient care
My supervisor was very easy to work with. She always showed great communication skills. This was a position that provided very good Patient care.
Sentara is an amazing place to work. Feels like family.
Administrative Associate/Nursing Care Partner (Current Employee), Suffolk, VANovember 5, 2014
Pros: medical/dental/vision benefits, 403b, vacation/sick leave
Cons: can only work if the census calls for staff
Typical day at work:
Very busy and detail-oriented type of job. Our patients depend on us to provide the best care possible!

What I've learned:
I've learned to efficiently manage stress in order to provide exceptional care to our patients. I've learned that teamwork is very important.

Management:
The manager that I have been fortunate to work under have been nothing but the best. They are compassionate and understanding with big hearts.

The hardest part of the job:
The hardest part of the job has been to meet patient's needs BEFORE they even know they need anything. (I excell at this).

The most enjoyable part of the job:
The most enjoyable part of the job has been the relationships, both with patients and co-workers, that I have built. It's like a family.
fun workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 29, 2014
very great work atmosphere, employees are always willing to lend a helping hand.
Ever changing environment
Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: great place to advance in the medical profession
Cons: to expand medical facilities
Great healthcare system. Positive work environment. Employs well educated people to take care of patients, handling daily activities for patients. Encouraging their employees to maintain current information. Sentara cares about keeping their employees and patients informed.
Always stays busy.
Medical Records Tech/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: staying busy and never having any down time.
A typical day at work consists of working with Medical Records and registering patients. Also doing data entry. This is the first job that I have worked in the medical field and learned a lot. The experiences that I have acquired with this job have carried me a long way. Some of my responsibilities include retrieving and bringing charts to the assigned floors for the Clinical Staff to review. I was also responsible for calling and expediting transcripts for Doctors to review for urgent Patients. Also responsible for alerting the Doctors of their outstanding charts that need to be signed or are missing any documentation that pertain to the Patient.
Wrote and negoiatied contracts with manufactures and vendors.
MATERIELS CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: great bonuses when you met your contract goals.
Cons: no advancement
Daily review of upcoming contracts for renewal and daily checking invoice pricing compared to contracts. I learned we could negotiate better pricing than our GPO contracts. Management staff was great to work with and developed a great team.
Great job for an independent worker
COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATOR (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 22, 2014
This was a great part-time job, and a wonderful stepping stone to additional opportunities within Sentara Healthcare.
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: 3 breaks
Cons: tons of work, not enough people
Collect Scripts/ Orders
Verify insurance
Submit for Authorization
Get Patient Scheduled
Repeat 1-4
Great company
Maintenance technician (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 15, 2014
Great company to work for with a great invironment. Co-workers have always been friendly and the staff i work directly with is smart and fun to work with.
I enjoy working in the BCC office the hours are perfect
Patient Account Representative,Billing (Current Employee), Chesapeake VASeptember 8, 2014
Sentara is a great company to work for. I like the hours and pay most of all there is room for advancing and education to advance..
robots
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 7, 2014
corporation that controls salary for nurses in the hampton roads area due to majority of the hospitals being Sentara. overworked, underpaid (besides the ceo,s) no compassion for employees with medical conditions. nurses are expected to cover up for company but the company itself doesnt have its employees back.
management is awful
staff (Former Employee), barco ncAugust 29, 2014
Pros: i like the shift i work
Cons: nothing
The lack of employees and bad management is effecting the well fair of the residents. The upper management needs to lead by example. Not enough staff is the hardest part of my job, its a daily challenge even going into the facility. I love the residents and enjoy taking care of them. While working there I've learned nothing from the managers, but I have learned there is no teamwork, nor is there respect amongst the staff.
very little raises
n/a (Current Employee), Woodbridge VAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: short lunches, unable to take days off
Run the other way poor management, unprofessional. No advancements, no room for growth. Your not heard. Overall your not appreciated at all. Very little pay, bonuses(if any), raises. Conveniently close to home.
I love working for Sentara
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 11, 2014
I love working for Sentara. I am currently looking for a permanent Administrative position.
Dietary Aide
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk VirginiaAugust 9, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: over worked and expected to do extra
Very Fast Pace always on yoyr feet barely get ant breaks because team leads, supervisors or managers never want to help well that's how to they do at Sentera Leigh Hospital
Fun
Registered Nurse-Special Care Nursery (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 4, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: long hours
As secretary on unit is fun, able to interact with parents coming to visit infant in unit.
Awefull!
PACE (Former Employee), VA BeachJuly 26, 2014
Pros: love working with the elderly
Cons: management is the worse i have ever seen!
Terrible place to work! Turnover is extremely high amongst the staff of the interdisciplinary team:3 site managers, 3 directors of social work, 2 directors of activities and 2 nurses in less than 1 yr. Entire social work department changed over 3 times in past yr. Management sets workers up to fail through lack of adequate training and insufficient staff and then retaliates against staff for failure to follow policy/ procedure and time frames for service delivery. Communication is extremely POOR, mostly due to inadequate staff. Lack of support amongst coworkers, Some undermining amongst coworkers mostly by one person. Bottom of the barrel morale amongst employees. Questionable ethics from management. If your standards are high you will not be comfortable here. Work environment continues to deteriorate. Anyone who can is looking to get out! Due to management style, day is crisis oriented in work production. Work salary staff to death. Plan to work 60+ hours per work week to meet management’s expectations and to keep from drowning in the overload of work due to inadequate staff. Why hire adequate staff if you can bully your workers into doing it without pay? Management turnover has left center in constant chaos as new hires reinterpret policy and procedures and redirect staff, who are often left undoing/redoing same tasks at direction of site manager. The only enjoyable part of the job is the participants. Of course when you are dealing with the public expect that some clientele are manipulative and not entirely honest. Know that management will not back you.
Outstanding Company to Work for
CT Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee), Lake Ridge, VAJuly 26, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: low weekend and night shift defferentials
I work in Sentara's first Northern Virginia free standing ER. It is by far the best group of people I have ever worked with. The team work is exceptional. It is high quality medical care, with great customer service. I have the best manager ever. She really cares about us and gives 110% at all times. I would give a 5 star for benifits except the weekend and nights shift defferentials are vey low. Staffing could be better, but that seems to be the norm in healthcare. I am proud to work for Sentara. In a day when other companies are sending employees home early and getting rid of long term employees, Sentara gives us a full work week. They have done wonders in turning around a hospital with a very poor reputation. They have got rid of physicans and employees who were bullies and not with great customer service. I think Sentara will make a positve mark everwhere they go.
Great Company
Patient Account Representative-Medicaid/SLH (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 24, 2014
Pros: helped one another
Cons: none to mention
loved the staff, management encouraged education; family oriented
I have grown professionally with this current position
System Wide Resource Pool RN (Current Employee), Southside Hampton Roads, Internal TravelerJuly 9, 2014
I really enjoyed this job. The only reason I am leaving is the position will now require extensive travel to Northern Va. I have a family with children and do not want to be out of town on long assignments.

About Sentara Health

Health care's a beach for Sentara Healthcare. The not-for-profit organization operates a network of hospitals and other health – Read more

Sentara Health Salaries