Sentara Health

Sentara Health Employer Reviews

Junior Clinical Analyst
Junior Clinical Analyst (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 3, 2014
Helped implement Meditech throughout the organization. great team, great facility.
Part-time/temp
Sentara is a great place to work.
Manager (Current Employee), VirginiaJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: great pay, benefits, compensation
Cons: do more with less attitude
Sentara is a great place to work. I would recommend this organization to anyone who would like to be in the healthcare industry.
Typical day can get crazy but it's all about your attitude
telemetry (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: provide financial aide for school
Cons: cafeteria food is too expensive
A typical day at work can start off caotic. You just have to be ready and go in with a positive attitude. I generally get along with everyone and have respect for authority. A couple of my co-workers have known eachother for many years now, so it's like a family environment at times but just like any job it has it's moments when it seems like you're – more... just really being tested. The hardest part of my job I think is sometimes working 12hr night shifts. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity of being apart of the medical team. – less
Exciting place to work with vast opporunties for growth
Administrative Associate/File Room Technician (Former Employee), Hampton Roads, VAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great incentatives and employee perches, excellent insurance coverages, and investment plans.
Cons: recession
Sentara is a great establishment to work for. Up to my last two years of employment, I felt a since of support from colleagues, associates, and management. Although they have strict protocol for their employees' input and presentation, I am proud of the fact that they utilize these measures to protect their clients in our growing society.
Sentara Princess Anne Hospital
Patient Transporter (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: bad scheduling
I experiment at SPAH has been a rewarding so far.I have build relationships wit Drs as well as nurses.
Sentara review
Analyst (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 14, 2014
Overall, Sentara is a good company to work for. I learned many things at Sentara and built many good professional relationships. Management in my department was not the best and yearly employee surveys indicated as such requiring management to take management classes for three years running. But the company overall is a good place to work.
great coworkers
Radiation Therapist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 11, 2014
great bonus, decent pay. otherwise everything I could walk away from.
Looking for a more productive enviroment which is stimulating and motivating
Healthcare Audit Support (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 25, 2013
I am use to a more stimulating and motivating job. They have no mentoring program for advancement.
MRI Department is horrible at Norfolk General
MRI Technologist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 17, 2013
Pros: cafeteria discounts, retirement package
Cons: no breaks, lunch, under staffed, low pay, crabby doctors, floors hang up on you all the time, carrying a pager, getting out late all the time
No breaks, no lunches, under staffed, carry a pager where we get paged in for non stat exams at 2 or 3 am (diabetic toe, back pain 6 months etc), we sleep in our cars, work well over our scheduled time due to lack of staff, not staffed 24/7 like it should be, constantly lifting obese patients on vents with MRSA...very exhausting, scanners are 10 blocks – more... away from registration so it takes you forever to get your patient and bring them back after exam, still printing films (get with the millennium SENTARA), doctors are rude, including radiologis who like to come over and scream at you In front of out patients, supervisor, managers and CEO of radiology know nothing about MRI (how do they expect to help us), supervisor thought it would be a good idea to have x ray help us because we are so short staffed but they could not scan or give us breaks or answer phones so not sure how much that helped. MRI department had the lowest employee satisfaction scores out of the entire hospital and CEO and HR sat in meetings to try to understand why we were so unhappy and after 2 years nothing has changed, then managers kept asking how we can improve productivity...hmmm..maybe hire some staff and give is a break so we can refresh a little?

Pros: clocking out, retirement package if you can stand working there that long

most enjoyable part of my job? Clocking out
co worker: some really nice ones and a few weird ones
Management: get rid of all of them and start over,,,they all suck – less

December 21, 2013

I heard about that department....I would not want to work there for anything

December 24, 2013

you have no idea of the daily torture of that place. Right now they are hiring 4 positions because they cant keep anyone working in that department. I feel sorry for the techs who are stuck there. When I first started I was told how many of the techs has been there since they were 20 and now close to retiring, well I quickly learned two of them that were full time decided to go part time and work weekends so they would not have to take call because they said they could not take the horrible call anymore, another tech went from full time to part time and also rotated weekends with the other two techs (they thought of this together to reduce hours and get away from call, while still getting the retirement package) and another tech who had been there so long transferred out for awhile. I was also told by the techs and management that call was not really that bad LOL...just wait until you start taking it....NO LIFE FOR YOU...good luck for the next poor soul who takes this prison sentence...oh yeah....in that department, they have you on camera 24/7. No joke. The cameras are even in the radiology break room, the hallway where you move patients etc and they tell you its for patient safety but they watch you on it all the time and find ways to write you up. They also record all of your phone calls on the hospital phones and if you have some sort of problem with a nurse or something they go back and listen to your phone conversation, so don't make personal calls on their phones and they eaves drop in you in the scan room somehow. I don't know what kind of device they have in there but....well....just be careful.....

Offers excellent healthcare and community services
Registered Nurse/Preceptor: Main Operating Room (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 16, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: staffing shortage, pay
Sentara Health is comitted to improving healthcare everyday. The company strives to retain employees and offers flexible scheduling for education advancements. Some of the best and most advanced treatment options are offered through Sentara.
One of the Worst Managed Places
Senior System Administrator (Former Employee), Chessapeake, VADecember 4, 2013
Pros: nice people
Cons: bad management
When signing up with this company, the management was pretty good. But they forced out the current management and move some one up who was a yes man. He was hard to get along with and said one thing and did another.
Medical Records
Internship (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 29, 2013
Pros: friendly enivorment
Cons: leaving my internship.
Enjoyed helping with the EMR process. I was able to learn how Sentara and how they handle medical records and processing patients information.
Largest Healthcare Network in the 757 Region
Clinical Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 25, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: slow advancement
Largest healthcare network in the Tidewater area. Fast paced environment with a lot of technological advancements and enhancements towards the improved quality of healthcare.
Great staff
Team Leader-Emergency Registration (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VANovember 25, 2013
My coworkers made coming to work exciting. Never felt like a place I didn't want to come to.
poor management, no teamwork, more work no pay
Clinical (Former Employee), SouthsideNovember 19, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: no lunch sometimes, no ot, no employee compensation, no teamwork
office management lacked in communication with staff and was seldom in office to handle "practice manager" duties. When not there, the "supervisor" did not help and was not a team player. Continuously wanted to add work and reports, but no employee compensation. Management did not have staff's back.
teamwork is great
Registered Nurse, ICU (Current Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 8, 2013
I've learned that no matter how much experience you have, when you start a new job all the ways you have learned to get a task completed may be completely different someplace else
Fun and Rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Lake Ridge, VANovember 7, 2013
Sentara truly cares about their employees! They make an effort to support their employees with great benefits, thorough training, and a really awesome employee discounts! I enjoyed working with such an outstanding, friendly team and I highly recommend working here.
Great non-profit company
CT and Diagnostic Technologist (Former Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 30, 2013
Pros: annual bonus
Cons: none!
Enjoyed my coworkers and my job immensely! Pay was fabulous!
Productive and fun work place
Secretary (Current Employee), Princess Anne, VAOctober 29, 2013
A typical day at Sentara is being able to speak and have a conversation with the patients. We learn something different everyday dealing with patients and co-workers. I love helping and talking to the patients from day to day. Customer service is a valuable part in my employment and without that my day would be very unproductive. The hardest part of – more... my job is not being able to service or provide for the patient when I am not able to. Some of the comments that are made can be very harsh but in this environment you have to help the patient as much as you can. – less
Supportive working environment.
Infection Preventionist (Current Employee), Hampton, VASeptember 22, 2013
Pros: large health system
Supportive working environment. Great staff and leaders.

About Sentara Health

Health care's a beach for Sentara Healthcare. The not-for-profit organization operates a network of hospitals and other health – Read more

Sentara Health Photos