Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Job has great potential but management is shifty and underhanded
Clinical documentation Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 25, 2016
Great company, but after working there for nearly 20years, a manager comes along and undermines the whole department and turns every employee against each other while upper management pretends not to know what happened, We lost nearly 10 long term employees in one year behind one bad manager and the department has yet to recover nearly a year and a half later, because she remains there unchecked. Also, the job has no potential for growth.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Flexibility is determined by managements mood and employee favor
Na
Interpreter and Healthcare Translator (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 30, 2016
• Work with non-English speaking patients in hospitals, physician's offices, clinics, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes and mental health clinics.
Serve as a conduit between patients and medical professionals by listening to the professional and orally translating information into patients’ native language in layman's terms, then translating the patient's responses back to the professional, using proper medical terminology and translating documents from English to Kurdish (and vice versa).
Great Position, Biased Leadership
RN Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 30, 2016
Staff was very helpful and supportive. The chance to work with patients and customers was excellent. some senior staff provided excellenf support and recognition

Department Leadership is Severely Biased, Hard work is appreciated by some but not others, Predjudiced against older workers, Certain Supervisors will do almost anything to find a reason to fire the employee who is Older and has been working there 10 yrs or more, This includes lying about reason for terminating staff member.
Pros
Excellent staff and asignments
Cons
Supervisors avoid direct contact with employee who has been identified to be fired, Lies told about reason for termination
a great place to work with team players
Nursing Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 8, 2016
every day is a different day. working there gave me the experience of a life time. my co workers were great and were always there to lend a hand. the hardest part of the job was seeing the young patients so ill. the most enjoyable part of the job was being there for the patients and being able to help them with every day tasks
Hard Job
Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 10, 2016
A typical day consisted of transporting patients to the hospital, taking vitals, maintaining life support. I enjoyed talking with the patients because they all had different experiences that they shared with me. I learned how to control my emotions in an emergency. The hardest part of the job was when a patient was hurt and you worried extremely about the well fare of that particular patient. My co workers were very well informed on how to handle situations, so i felt at ease working with them.
Enjoyed my job.
Nursing Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 28, 2016
I enjoyed being a Care Partner. I didn't even mind the "dirty jobs" that went along with the position. It was hard work but I didn't mind. I loved working with the public and getting to meet all kinds of new people.
Pros
It was 12 hour shifts so I only worked 3 days a week.
Cons
Super low pay for the difficulty of the job.
love the job and my staff and co workers
Admin Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2016
had a good work group, we all work together as a team, had a lot of fun laughing, and joking every day. learn a lot about the medical field. the job wasn't hard because we all work as a team to get the job done, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co worker, they always had something different going on every day. we laugh and joke all day after the work was done.
Pros
you always had job
Cons
not enough help sometimes
Excellent place to work
Business Application System Analyst, IT (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 29, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time at Sentara Health Care. The work life was like family and I miss them. I moved on to another position due to broken promises of promotion for Riverside Health System. Big mistake.
Pros
Just great all around. Nice people, good management.
Hard working co-workers and company is nice to work for
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 8, 2017
Sentara is great company to work for and great benefits. I have worked for this company occupying 2 different positions. This company is very caring about their patients as a whole.
Pros
benefits, flexible hours
Cons
needs to pay employees more
excellent work environment
Communications Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2016
I typically work 40 hours a week,
I learned a lot about hospital codes and rules
I found management somewhat difficult and the hardest part of the job was inconsistency.
the most enjoyable part was my co workers
Pros
benefits and bonus
Cons
no advancement opportunities within the department
Fun. Learning.
RPSGT (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 4, 2017
Love to work in this company. Job secure friendly environment. Always get feedback about my work. I work day time 40 hours. Manegment is very good considering. I learned a lot and love what I am doing. Always something new to learn. Co workers is friendly and team work is the good part.
Upper management
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
Sentara Healthcare is a great company to work for if you are not in management, because they do not treat their supervisors fair, you can be written up and even fired without reason. The directors and managers should leave all personal issues at home. It has no organizational skills.
Pros
Recieveing a paycheck
Cons
Lack of organization, does not support staff
Horrible Human Resources
LPN (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 12, 2017
Human resources is very difficult to work with. They are very rude and condescending. Management is also rude and create hostile working environment. Do not work for this horrible health system.
Pros
Cons
Rude and hostile employees, espically in management and HR.
great company, care about employees
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 7, 2016
This is an excellent company to work for, great pay and benefits, Room to grow, great promotions. Supervisors very understanding, they always supplied free lunches, holiday dinners, Christmas parties and great training
I love the opportunity of meeting mew people.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 13, 2016
This job have given me a opportunity, to meet interest people were I can share my thought and listen to theirs. Having the chance to calm a patient down when they are really scared of needles that's my highlight of the day. Being compassionate and capable of showing patients that I really care makes a difference, that its not just a job. This job has taught me to be patience, to listen and really pay attention to details. Being caution is key factor in this job because not paying attention can cause you a big health scare. The hardest part of being a phlebotomist having patients that are really hard sticks and you have to stick them several of time. That's part of the job I don't like. But overall being a phlebotomist is great!!
Pros
Meeting new people, helping and caring for others, learning something all the time
Cons
having to stick elderly people, having to go to different facilicties
Fast-paced nursing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 4, 2016
This position teaches nurses how to act quickly on their feet to help patients who are declining physically. The position is fast-paced and requires time management proficiency.
Pros
You are able to learn a lot
Cons
Long hours and small breaks
They have fitness place for aerobic
Nursing Assistant Certified (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 14, 2016
It was fun and nice work place,taking good care of our patients and making sure the well .The manage also concern about there employee.That they fine and sound mind.
Pros
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Cons
REGULAR BREAK
Customer Satisfaction is the Bottom Line
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 27, 2016
My co-workers are probably the best part of the job. Very supportive, they make a tough shift tolerable. Team work is great where I work. The work is hard, self-schedule is fine as long as the person in charge of the schedule is not control freak. Not much consistency in policies and guidelines across the floors.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
Pay
great work place
EPIC CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VADecember 19, 2016
The cooperation and support provided by the hospital was second to non. It is great .and secured place to work. Always looking forward everyday to resolving and assisting clinical staffs and providers during Go-Live.
Would not recommend
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 16, 2016
Was a very long time ago, but hopefully they have improved. Were not supportive, lacked in training and did not provide a good work environment. Many unhappy employees.
Pros
Pay was good at that time
Cons
Management, environment and ladder to success