Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

wonerful extership
Clinical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, VAJuly 13, 2017
I did my externship here at Sentara and I loved it. people there are so nice and helpful. I was in the out patient office drawing blood. everyone I saw there seemed to love there job and I wish I could have continue there
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 13, 2017
I enjoy working with the people.
I've learned a lot in my position as an accounting clerk/receptionist and I would re-apply to Sentara. They used to take of their employee with nice bonus and incentives
Work place
Admin Associate- Central (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 9, 2017
Working for Sentara was a great experience. The benefits are great and the working environment was very warm and welcoming. The management staff was great and easy to work with.
I loved my job
Supervisor - Salary (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 29, 2017
As a Supervisor I was able to assist other employees to help them grow and advance. I would have loved to stay, however with Virginia being a right to higher right to fire at will state, I was let go.
Pros
Ability to grow within the company
Cons
Ability to let you go without any warning
Great company to work for
Medical Registration/Admitting Rep II (Former Employee) –  Lake Ridge, VAJune 24, 2017
I was employed with sentara for 2.5 years and i loved my job. I was a registrar at an off site emergency room. My coworkers were fantastic and we could all rely on each other as a TEAM should.
Not bad place to be
Nursing Care Partner (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 21, 2017
I love working for Sentara, however after 2 years they would not work with my schedule and then did everything in their power to prevent me from leaving the unit
Stressful place to work and all Management cares about are numbers.
Patient Accounting Representative (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 21, 2017
This place should practice quality over quantity! Sentara Offer's good benefits; however, they can be a bit costly. Sentara offers tuition assistance, but then they won'e hire you for the degree that they just paid for. Management only cares about the numbers and not the people. The call center has experienced a horrific turn-over since a new management team was put in place.
Pros
Good Benefits and Stability
Cons
All they care about is Numbers.. Numbers.. Numbers..
Organized chaos
Credentials Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 19, 2017
Sentara Healthcare is a large healthcare provider in the state of Virginia. Each hospital has it's own culture. Management within administration can use improvement in providing consistency and fairness to all employees. It would also help if official training manuals were kept and updated for new hires. This will make for a smoother & less stressful training period. Plus consistency and standardization of departmental processes.
Old School and hates change
IT Position at SIDC (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 16, 2017
The promotion process is slow or seems non-existent unless someone retires. Then, the position goes to someone who has been at the company forever and has not had any experience outside of Sentara, so the status quo lives on. The vibe in the department is negative and the entire IT group despises any changes to their daily grind which makes it hugely difficult to introduce new concepts, processes and platforms into the company. Many complain bitterly about changes and try to throw others under the bus because of their own discomfort with any change that forces them to learn something new. Low accountability for work so many are seen napping at desks, clipping coupons or surfing the net. The motto "but we have always done it this way" adds to the feet dragging towards newer technology. As a newly hired employee, it's difficult to get "street cred" in the organization because you haven't worked at the company for 20+ years. Lack of industry in the area keeps salaries depressed as well as raises. The benefits are not competitive with the rest of the US. The bonuses are paltry. It often feels like working for the slow state government.

Coming from a company that invested heavily in IT, it's a shocking contrast at Sentara.
Pros
Flexible work days
Cons
behind the curve IT department, low accountability, hates change
overall great place to work
Admitting Rep II (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 12, 2017
Sentara need to show more appreciation for employees that are not doctors or nurses, and growth opportunities for those that do not wish to become doctors or nurses
My Work Day
Patient Account Representative, June (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 10, 2017
The first thing I did in the morning was check my emails. Then I go over my daily calendar and events. next thing I did was the daily unit huddle with co-workers and supervisor. Then I begin my normal billing process of claims. Once I was done with billing I began working my denials.
Pros
Overtime was always available
Cons
The Commute i drove 28 miles one way
Good place to get started
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 10, 2017
great place to gain some experience, compensation leaves a lot to be desired, organization should be more patient focused rather than "not for profit"
the most enjoyable part of the job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 8, 2017
The best part of the job was working with the patients. Family practice offers a variety of encounters every day. It was interesting to meet so may patients of different ages and backgrounds. Leaning to meet the needs of various patients has been a great learning experience.
Sentara
Environmental Services Associate (Former Employee) –  830 kempsville road Norfolk vaJune 7, 2017
Sentara is a great company to work for. I liked working for sentara it's just to much unfairness & favoritism going around & some managers ate very unprofessional.
The most friendly environment between workers.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 7, 2017
The patients are very well taken care of, because the employees really do care about the patient. Even the janitors believe that every part of their job matters to the wellness of patients. Full time or Part time employees are given at least thirty or more hours a week. The pay is what I consider above average. The health benefits are good, because you can afford to be treated at the hospital you work at. There are always sick people so no need to worry about job security, and anyone can advance if they try. The management is pretty good, and sometimes they outsource to a management company. Everyone is friendly, sometimes it is a little difficult, and patients with mental disorders can make it worse. I loved working there, because of the amount of wealth the hospital had. I never needed anything I couldn't get while on the clock.
Pros
Free food. Good breaks
Wasn't kept busy
Patient Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 6, 2017
The position I was in didn't need to be full time. Great team members. Management wasn't available, unless there was an error, or something 'bad' had happened on campus.
Pros
My patients
Cons
I wasn't kept busy enough
Great company
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 31, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Sentara in the many different jobs I held. Great learning and growing experience in my life. I look forward to one day working for them again.
Fast paced and majority of the time stressful
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAMay 25, 2017
Something's could be changed. Like every job they have ups and downs. Mostly short staff, RNs who don't want to work, no real leadership, burnt out medical assistants causing many to leave.
Pros
Free meals for special events specialty coffee per staff request family time off well balanced
Cons
Short break no real paid time off accrued vacation time is used for holidays or unpaid time off
Summary
Revenue Analyst (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 24, 2017
It is a great place to work, depending on where you are working within the company. I would like to the mobility to move to higher paying jobs within the company.
Its Okay
Transplant Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 23, 2017
The company is good a good company to work for over all, there are some minor changes that I would make. Communication lack in some aspect of this company, but it is what you make it
Pros
job security
Cons
they could pay you better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval