Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews in United States

Good job
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 22, 2016
I am responsible for multitasking what is most emergent for patient and employee safety. Start PIVS and obtain EKGS and have provider read the EKGS. Perform CPR, answer Medical emergency response calls within the hospital. Transport Patients. There are no two days that are alike in the Emergency room.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
long shifts
Easy at first then progressively challenging. Do not float!
Courier (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 12, 2016
My mistake was being hired as a PT float because they(Team Coordinators) bounce you from route to route requiring you to train with veteran employees who sometimes have poor attitudes which in itself makes the training unbearable. The veteran employees have their own ways of working the route but if you do it their way and a lead has to sign you off, it might not be the way the lead wants it done which causes more problems. The routes were easy at first but then became difficult due to the sheer amount of learning where the route is, where to pick up/drop off, identify specimens and which coolers to place in and so on. Also as a part timer, you might not break 25 hours a week which can put a big dent in your pay if you do get benefits. So many rules too. The problem is I prefer one route to learn, much like the veteran couriers, which is why float was difficult and a hard position to fill. All in all, pay was not too bad, benefits were good, some employees/managers poor attitudes, long hours at times. If I had the chance to do it again, float is not the way to go.
Benefits
Cons
Poor attitudes, sloppy training, pay, benefits, float.
Love working for Sentara Healthcare
Sr patient account representative (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 12, 2016
This is the first company I've worked for that actually cares about their employees!! They were willing to work with my desired salary when I first started and they give raises once a year depending on your yearly review. The benefits are awesome and the people are so friendly. I am proud to be part of such a great company!
Pros
Benefits, management, salary
Cons
The 6 month probation period seems a bit long
Work Life Balance
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 5, 2016
The hardest part of this job is work life balance. It can be difficult to meet the needs of the patient population while desiring to further your education as a nurse.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
work life balance
Great coworkers, HORRIBLE management
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 17, 2016
I joined the Sentara "team" because I heard that they take care of their employees and it's "like a family". At orientation they stressed work and home balance and emphasis is placed on not taking your work home. What a load of BS. I come home and work on documentation for at least 1-2 hours depending on how busy AND short staffed we were that day. Management sets up these impossible goals and don't understand why you can't meet them without sacrificing quality of care. They want you to see more patients yet they don't want to offer you more help; then they are surprised either your quality decreases or your productivity suffers. I became a therapist to help my patients but it seems that if I want that to be true, I should be prepared to work my tail off at home-- unpaid, for any documentation left undone because I chose to spend time with my patients vs stand behind the computer and bark out orders as I type. After practicing several years at other companies, never had I felt this level of stress without the productivity numbers to support it. I would not recommend working here, at least as a therapist, unless you want to sacrifice your ethics and work integrity.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
micromanagement, lack of support from any tier of management
worst place on the planet to work
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 16, 2016
You would think a place with as prestigious as this would treat their Employees much better, but the truth of the matter is sentara don't give 2cents about anyone. Management in a lot of Departments Are horrible Especially The head director in Environmental services department, the women is so hateful and Nasty to her workers.. Everyone is overworked, and sentara is understaffed. Doctors ,The Residents, Nurses treat patients like pure dogs.I pray everyday that God gets me out of this God for saken place the only reason I continue to be here is because I have no where t go with benefits. This place awful!!!!!!
Pros
benefits & FMLA
Cons
too many to name
produtive and a nice company overall
AR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2016
Sentara is a great company to work for. Management has the employees best interest at heart to generate great productivity daily.
My department was understaffed and overworked.
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sentara IndependenceFebruary 4, 2016
They are very strict and a lot of management are not friendly or approachable. The position that I had was too much for one person to work by themselves. The majority of staff are overworked and this should not be allowed to take place.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Poor management
Cold, Mangement belittles employees, favoritism , poor social skills all about the $
Scheduler/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 27, 2016
Do not ever work for them. During the hiring process everyone if very kind, williing to help. Management show favoritism. Be little you. Management needs to learn patience and better trying. Management also talks poorly about new and pre existing employee. When they assign a preceptor, the preceptor was very short and unwilling to try to help. They say I don't how I can help you.
Pros
Very thing
Cons
Non
Good Pay Not Much Advancement
MRI & CT Technologist (Multi-Modality (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 15, 2016
If you're looking for a salary review this is it. CT/MRI pay starting off is $25.68, $4 more if you're flexi since no benefits. Plus more hourly if you work evenings or weekends.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Cons
Not many full time or part time opportunities

Want to know more about Sentara Healthcare?

Ask a question
productive
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 30, 2015
I always work hard at Sentara . I have learned so much in the 15 years that I have worked there. The other team members are like my family .
Love the job and patients
Clinical Lab Assistant/ Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 14, 2015
Fast paced, exciting place to work. Got a chance to meet new people. Got a chance to help people in need. The hardest part of my job was lack of team work, lack of support from management. On a typical day I saw about 100 patients
Pros
hour lunch, learned new things
Cons
lack of support from management, no room for growth
Exciting fast paced place to work
Sr Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 5, 2015
Sentara is an exciting Healthcare system to work for. They currently have 9 hospitals. They provide awarding care to the patients in their communities, and they provide so much for their employees.
Pros
Great people to work with
Great Benefits
Mammography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 18, 2015
Great organization to work for with excellent benefits and compensation package. Flexible hours and great staff to work with.
Decent place to work for
Patient Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 17, 2015
decent place to work for. Health insurance was covered by the company which is hard to come by. Coworkers were great to work with. Wasn't pleased with my immediate supervisor but I didn't have to deal with them often, so it was easy to ignore.
Job Security
Computer Operations Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 13, 2015
A large growing company with the potential for advancement. Benefits are copatible with other companies. A Family oriented working environment.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Productive place to work
Referral Coordinator/MA (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 3, 2015
I worked for a pain management specialty in Virginia Beach. I stopped working there because I relocated. It was a very family oriented and productive environment
Love nursing but want a balance between work and family.
RN (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 1, 2015
I worked on the floor for 10 years and enjoyed nursing very much. Once we moved to the new hospital things were harder for the fact that things were not as "user friendly". There is too much space to travel and a hard time to keep patients safe.In July I transferred to Sentara Hospice were my heart was calling me. This has proved to be bad timing as our group is very short handed and grossly overworked. I love my patients but the charting and trying to catch up is nonstop. I chart from the time I get home until I go to bed and then again when I wake up. I don't mind working some at home but I want to have time with my family also.
Pros
One-on-one time with patients that was never had time for in the hospital setting.
Cons
Charting for hours after work.
Great to start your career
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 1, 2015
Great place to start when you are just learning. They teaching constantly. You learn how to be a great health care worker. But, the chance to really advance is not there.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Hard to advance
Definite job security
Insurance Verification Representative (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 29, 2015
Can be overwhelming at times but there is teamwork amongst my coworkers. Management is very understanding of situations that may arise.
Pros
Flexibility when needed and excellent benefits
Cons
pay is not ocmpetitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.