Sentara Healthcare Employee Reviews

Outstanding employer!
Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 30, 2015
When leadership states that they condone work/life balance, it's not just words. They practice it, they encourage it, and they support it. The challenges are no different than other employers I'm sure. When it comes to HIT, security is top priority, however it can sometimes be a barrier to innovation. I'm not convinced that this is a bad thing, but it does slow down the process.
Pros
Collaborative leadership, positive work environment
Cons
Too many projects with conflicting priorities.
management is awesome
Customer service (Current Employee) –  norfolk, vaSeptember 28, 2015
Management is just amazing, best management team I have ever had. Work environment is wonderful. Everyone is so helpful
Productive and keeps you busy.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 25, 2015
A typical day at work for me is walking around picking orders to send out to hospitals and I enjoy it. I've learned how to use certain machines and handhelds for inventory. My coworkers and managers have close relationships and the most enjoyable part is meeting new people.
Pros
Relationships you build
Nice environment to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Norfolk,vaSeptember 11, 2015
A great place to work, employees are very knowlegable of their job as well as there function as a team. I found that by working at this organization that I was more aware of various tasks that I was trained to carry out in this environment being the medical field.
Pros
Great customer service, very knowlegable of task carrying out.
Cons
NA
Excellent Hospital
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 8, 2015
Sentara Healthcare is a wonderful hospital. Management is always willing to help you and provide positive feedback. The people working in Surgical Services care about their jobs and their patients.
Productive in the work place
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  chesapeakeSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day at Sentara was printing schedules and registering all the patients for their procedures. Not to leave off there is always add ons coming in my inbox or through a phone call. I learned that if you do your work in a time manner you will not be smothered with other work that is need like asap. Management was ok, just like to be treated with respect. My co workers were a trip. I tried to stay to myself and not to have them to allow me to get behind because they wanted to socialize.My job wasn't hard at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I was able to register my patients and also help out where help was needed.
Pros
eat my lunch at desk
Cons
punching out if you leave the building
Great organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 2, 2015
Really love this organization and what it stands for. Love the fact that the organization is involved in the community it serves. Top notch leadership and great employees.
I like the job because I worked and met a lot of people it was an important job.
Phlebotomist/Lab Tech/Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 31, 2015
Assisted with retrieving blood test samples. Assembled medical records for various hospital departments. It was easy to go to work.
Great place to interact with diverse people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 30, 2015
=Work Environment very fast paced with working for multiple =Managers, Directors, and Units.
=Learned many diverse faucets of working in a hospital environment.
=Co-workers were typically in a very good mood and cheerful.
=Most difficult aspect of the job was having to deal with management that would request one thing and when they received it would change their mind and want the total opposite thing.
=The best part of the job was the interaction with many diverse individuals.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Limited advancement
Clincal Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 28, 2015
Depends on what shift you work on, work flow could be a lot which makes the day go by fast. No team players. A lot of Processing Staff continue not to work and you pick up the load. Supervisory doesn't supervises but talk about the latest gossip. You do find some good workers that are willing to do the extra mile and actually work. The Med Techs are great. Do not complain to management or you'll be labeled.
Pros
Alot of overtime
Cons
Management sticks to its own race

Want to know more about Sentara Healthcare?

Ask a question
SMG applicants
Elizabeth City SMG office employee (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 27, 2015
If you are looking for a career look elsewhere. As an employee you are told there is an open door policy, but for this SMG site that is not true, you are their puppet, do more work, less pay, unless you are in the "IN" crowd with management. To move up you must lie and manipulate. Pay has never been accurate nor has management made any corrective action when brought to their attention. Management "wants to lay low on the radar!". Every dept is different but this is all in reference to SMG site in Elizabeth City. I'm looking for another company.
productive and very professional work place setting.
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 23, 2015
Working for Sentara was very enjoyable. Sentara provided a professional environment along with great co-workers who always are willing to give a helping hand when needed. The management team are uplifting as well. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the occasional irate customer when there is a error in their benefits structure. The most enjoyable part of the job is making every customer feel important, confident and statisfied.
Pros
paid vacation time
Cons
short breaks
per diem atc
Supplemental Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 19, 2015
Work varies from soccer to wrestling to ice hockey. Flexible work hours and easy to get a lot of hours in one day/weekend.
job is what you make it
Clinical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 17, 2015
management needs improvement. I enjoy what I do, so I do it to the best of my ability. Management has their picks. I would go back if the management was different
Excellent Customer Services and Great Benefit
Billing Representative (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 14, 2015
I am Sr. Patient Account Rep. work with Medicare Part B patient account appealing and follow up claims to obtain the appropriate reimbursement. I love my job sometime can be stressful but I love the challenge. I love getting the claims paid and being able to help others. My previous experience at CHKD cash posting and insurance posting. I a extremely detail with an excellent Customer Services Skills an A+ people skills. I worked from 60 - 94 invoices at day with no delays and accuracy to file claim within the timely filing guidelines. More than 20 years with cash experience and face-face Customer Services.
Pros
Room to growth
Cons
Enjoyed being a part of the Sentara family
Marketing PR Coordinator, Physican Support (Former Employee) –  Materials Management Chesapeake VAAugust 11, 2015
The office atmosphere was like a family. Working with people that have been all over Sentara and some working there 30+ years helped developed relationships that created great team work.
Management doors are almost always open, and if you needed, you could talk to them about any challenges that you are facing. Having children - they were understanding that life happens outside of work, and were understanding when you needed a little flexibility.

The benefits being a Sentara employee are amazing, second to none.
Pros
Family atmosphere, lovely workplace, benefits
Cons
Growing so fast, if that is a con!
Unnecessarily Stressful
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 7, 2015
Registration's management needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY. There is an extremely high turnover rate and staffing issues. Employees feel unappreciated and overworked with little to none recognition/compensation.
Great enviornment and place to grow!
Sr. Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 6, 2015
Large company with plenty room for growth! I was encouraged to pursue schooling in means of advancing throughout the company instead of staying stagnant in my current position. Overall great place to work!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Better management needed overall
It was a pleasurable experience to work there
cna (Former Employee) –  variesAugust 4, 2015
I enjoyed most that i was able to make my own schedule to fit my life. I was not bound to a specific schedule. The hardest part of my job was when my patients passed away. I really enjoyed my coworkers most were very nice and friendly
Pros
scheduling
Cons
At first we were not offered benefits
Resource Pool
Cardiac Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  virignia beach, vaJuly 23, 2015
Resource pool is great to work for to balance life but you do not get benefits. Compensation is said to cover expenses for insurance. Huge flexibility.