Sentara Medical Group Employee Reviews

great place to work
Sr. Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 4, 2017
love coming to work daily , friendly team and wingman , manager always there to listen , work flow is triage patient, assisting doctors in day to day from charts medication refills referrals
Great Learning Environment
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2017
This is a large organization that provides many opportunities for career choices. It is the perfect learning environment for business culture and etiquette. As with any organization you have good managers and "not good" managers. With direction and planning you can go a long way with this organization
Pros
Great Benefits, Job Opportunities
Cons
Less pay than comparable jobs with other companies
Assisting families that were uninsured with obtaining affordable healthcare for their children
GRANT PROGRAM MGR (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 26, 2017
I truly enjoyed working the public and making a positive change in people's lives. To assist families that were struggling to obtain healthcare for their children was a rewarding experience.
I would recommend Sentara
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 5, 2017
I was employed with Sentara for 8-9yrs. I enjoyed working there. I left because at the time they were not paying up to par. However, from what I have been told the pay range has increased.
Pros
Job security
Cons
sometimes it could be boring
Good Place to work
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 4, 2017
Good place to work. Everyone is friendly and will help you if needed. The management team is fair and new staff members get the training they need when starting their new jobs.
Terrible paying job with terrible bonus....
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 4, 2017
I work for SMG and this company is a disaster. First no one is on the same page, you are given a small raise once a year and it all depends on how they think you work even though they have no idea how hard you work or if you are doing all the work in the office. They base your bonus on how well everyone does as a group not individual. Not fair when people in certain offices do not do their job and you are punished by getting 150$ bonus. Management is never in the office but if you need a day off to see a Dr or have an appointment they get an attitude with you. Morning huddles are a no go so no one ever gets to express any concerns with everyone because the manager and most employees are late.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, Bonus, managment, no one cares about your problems.
Great for patients not so much for staff
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 9, 2017
During my time within Sentara I observed a lot of different aspects of the Medical Group. The staffed I worked with was above average, but the main focus from the organization was how many patients you could get through the door. The medical group focused a lot on what the numbers and metrics were instead of taking care of what the patients actually needed. I enjoyed doing what I did and the staff I was around, but didn't like being compared as a whole to other offices that were in better neighborhoods and had healthier patients then we did. Management focused too much on numbers and did not seem to have the staff's back when it came to what the corporate office wanted.
Pros
Knowledgable staff
Cons
Management not always having staffs back, advancement opportunities.
Ok , Not bad for the year 1995 when I worked there.It was old
X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 1, 2016
First hospital I worked for, I was straight out of school and still learning. I was very grateful that this hospital gave me a chance to learn. They had a very nice children hospital were I did some of my clinical.
Pros
Childeren Hospital King Daugthers/They Rebuild it, updated now
Cons
ability to grow was slow/ not much pay
Great company
Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 12, 2015
Very detailed oriented. They do offer some of the best benefits around. Still felt left out of the decision making process.
Great Company
Medical Assistant / Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 7, 2015
This is a great company to work for! Many offices with multiple positions in several areas of medicine. Great office staffing, responsible management and good benefits.
SMG Financial Counselor
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 19, 2015
I love that there is opportunity for growth within SMG however be patient because it can take awhile. SMG processes are constantly changing and they work with you.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Pay, Can take awhile to advance
Opportunity to grow professionally
Marketing / PR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
If you are looking to expand your professional skills, Sentara Medical Group is the place to. They provide plenty of opportunity to to grow within the company and foster your personal skills. My immediate team members were all very hard workers and I enjoyed learning from them all.
enjoyable place to work
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 2, 2015
a typical day at work was busy, I learned that you have to have patients to work in the field I was in, The management was fear, I enjoyed working with my co-worker, I was new there coming from another state; they made me fill right at home. the hardest part of the job was starting all over and getting the hang of everything, cause every company does things different; but I was okay everyone pitch and made me comfortable and I enjoyed working there.
Cons
healthcare
Great Work Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2015
Great organization to work for all around. Supportive management and nice work environment. Tasks covered a broad spectrum that touched on a number of different facets of the Medical Group.
Productive and fun
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2015
Worked for numerous providers, billing from charge entry, follow up, pt collections to payment posting. Also, had good communication with the provider's office.
Be teachable
Senior Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 21, 2015
At SMG, you have to approach job and assignment with an open mind. Be willing to take in other information and opinions to get the job accomplished. You will never have all the answers and you shouldn't be afraid to ask for help. In asking for that help, be humble and receptive to it knowing that you can't always be right.
Great company to work for
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 28, 2015
Sentara is a great company to work for.I have been there for a few years now and I must say I don't have anything negative to say about them.
No chance of growth or job security
Secretary (Former Employee) –  WIlliamsburg,vaMarch 5, 2015
I worked there for 4 years. There are no raises based on merit and there is ZERO room for growth. There are also many lay offs because when Dr.'s leave the practice (which is all the time) their staff no longer has jobs. Then when Sentara tries to relocate you its to a job that is 50 miles away
Pros
benefits are decent
Cons
scheduled to work a 12 hr shift but its really atleast 13 and a half
Learning step
Patient Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Learned a great deal about the insurance world and how payments were applied/credited. I had a good trainer. But, the department could have done more to make their temporary workers permanent employees
Pros
Cons
Pay
Very fast paced placed to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake VirginiaFebruary 14, 2015
I enjoyed being taught by very nice people. My schedule was from 7 to 3pm. Being with this company for my internship help with my knowledge I have today.
Pros
Served free lunch every Friday.
Cons
Short work days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentara Medical Group. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2