Sentara Medical Group

Sentara Medical Group United States Employee Reviews

No chance of growth or job security
Secretary (Former Employee), WIlliamsburg,vaMarch 5, 2015
Pros: benefits are decent
Cons: scheduled to work a 12 hr shift but its really atleast 13 and a half
I worked there for 4 years. There are no raises based on merit and there is ZERO room for growth. There are also many lay offs because when Dr.'s leave the practice (which is all the time) their staff no longer has jobs. Then when Sentara tries to relocate you its to a job that is 50 miles away
Learning step
Patient Accounts Representative (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Cons: pay
Learned a great deal about the insurance world and how payments were applied/credited. I had a good trainer. But, the department could have done more to make their temporary workers permanent employees
Very fast paced placed to work.
Internship (Former Employee), Chesapeake VirginiaFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: served free lunch every friday.
Cons: short work days.
I enjoyed being taught by very nice people. My schedule was from 7 to 3pm. Being with this company for my internship help with my knowledge I have today.
Productive and fun to work environment.
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 17, 2015
To be a qualified Medical Assistant Extern to Sentara Medical Group is a good experience for me. The Management is look after the benefits of its employees and their patients. During my extern, I learned more and gain hands on techniques that I never learned from my school.

I am really thankful that I did my extern at SMG, Newport News.
fine
Financial Counselor (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJuly 8, 2014
working here is fine still enjoy working here is fine, I will remain here until its time for me to go
Amazing place to work! Great for recent grads
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 21, 2014
Pros: always willing to accomodate!
Cons: the pay is what you would expect for the norfolk va area
Sentara Medical Group Float Nurse was one of the best jobs i have ever had. They really treat their employees with the utmost respect and consideration! great for new grads, Sentara is a teaching hospital!
Top notch working place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: staff
A typical MD office about 20-25 patients daily, I added on to my skills medication reconciliation and re-ordering medication the office was small total of 3 including the doctor so we were just like family. My hardest part of working here was leaving to come back to the Maryland area. We enjoyed working as a team
company was excellent at providing on job training as codes changed and getting the ceu's needed
Financial Counselor (Former Employee), Hampton, VASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: great benefits and free lunches on several days a week.
Sentara was an excellent place to work. Well respected in the community and constant updates were available to keep up with all new technology. Employees got together every month for group meetings to discuss any ongoing issues to get team help to resolve. Loved that everyone was able to get along so well.
Pleasent atmosphere and plenty of room to advanced and improve oneself
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 23, 2013
Pros: work perks, flexible schedule.
Cons: short lunches
I was a resoruce pool employee with the medical group and I loved it. The position was very challenging and required me to use the skills I had learned in school. I enjoyed working here very much. Because I was a resource pool employee, I did not have a home office. I floated around from site to site as needed. This job really taught me the benefits of time management. Some sites were further away and I had to get up earlier than I wnated to to be on time. The managemnet staff was very flexible and my home and work life was properly balanced. Im also a full time student, so a flixble schedule was a must for me. I would love working for this company again.
Excellent company to work for.
Supervisor- Margie Smith (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 3, 2013
Pros: education, networking, patient care
Cons: long hours
Complete support for one physician. I handled the triage, lab results, pharmacy calls and rooming patients. I assisted with office procedure's and did a lot of patient teaching on High blood pressure and high cholesterol and diabetes. The hardest part of this job was keeping up with patient demand as on some days we saw over 35 patients and as many calls. The best part of the job was all the teaching my physician did. I learned so much from him.
Patient Care Representatice
Patient Care Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 13, 2012
Pros: great doctors to work for.
Cons: management issues/lack of communication made job stressful.
I checked patients in and out, registered them, obtained and processed insurance information, obtained referrals and authorizations, scheduled testing and out patient procedures. Completed various other administrative tasks.
Good Compensation & Work/Life Balance
Temp (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 5, 2012
The company offered good/competitive compensation. They were flexible pertaining to hours, which was really nice that they were understanding when it came to appointments, etc. Communication from management could have been better. I felt excluded from the department being that I was a temp and didn't feel as though my co-workers were there to help me out if I needed it.
Nurse Practitioner
Family Nurse Practitioner Clinical (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAAugust 27, 2012
Pros: flexible scheduling
Awesome place to work!
I stared with this company as a new NP and could not have asked for better support from the physicians and staff.
Financial Counselor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2012
Pros: doctors are great and respectful to employees
Cons: healthcare
I really enjoyed working at SMG. I took pride in my work and working with the public. I learned alot as well as contributed to my job. Team players always willing to help co-workers.Hardest part of my job is telling patients like elderly there balance knowing they are on fixed income and can't afford there balance.
Oppurtunity to grow
Senior Mediacal Assistant (Current Employee), Virginina Beach VAJanuary 23, 2012
Pros: tranfomation of care program
Cons: discontinuing of the samples for the patient
This is a really great place to work you will never be without a job.
There is always room for advancement and education training to help you keep up on your CEU

Sentara Medical Group Salaries