Sentara Medical Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Medical Assistant / Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 7, 2015
This is a great company to work for! Many offices with multiple positions in several areas of medicine. Great office staffing, responsible management and good benefits.
Ok , Not bad for the year 1995 when I worked there.It was old
X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 1, 2016
First hospital I worked for, I was straight out of school and still learning. I was very grateful that this hospital gave me a chance to learn. They had a very nice children hospital were I did some of my clinical.
Pros
Childeren Hospital King Daugthers/They Rebuild it, updated now
Cons
ability to grow was slow/ not much pay
No chance of growth or job security
Secretary (Former Employee) –  WIlliamsburg,vaMarch 5, 2015
I worked there for 4 years. There are no raises based on merit and there is ZERO room for growth. There are also many lay offs because when Dr.'s leave the practice (which is all the time) their staff no longer has jobs. Then when Sentara tries to relocate you its to a job that is 50 miles away
Pros
benefits are decent
Cons
scheduled to work a 12 hr shift but its really atleast 13 and a half
Pleasent atmosphere and plenty of room to advanced and improve oneself
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 23, 2013
I was a resoruce pool employee with the medical group and I loved it. The position was very challenging and required me to use the skills I had learned in school. I enjoyed working here very much. Because I was a resource pool employee, I did not have a home office. I floated around from site to site as needed. This job really taught me the benefits of time management. Some sites were further away and I had to get up earlier than I wnated to to be on time. The managemnet staff was very flexible and my home and work life was properly balanced. Im also a full time student, so a flixble schedule was a must for me. I would love working for this company again.
Pros
work perks, flexible schedule.
Cons
short lunches
Productive and fun to work environment.
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 17, 2015
To be a qualified Medical Assistant Extern to Sentara Medical Group is a good experience for me. The Management is look after the benefits of its employees and their patients. During my extern, I learned more and gain hands on techniques that I never learned from my school.

I am really thankful that I did my extern at SMG, Newport News.
enjoyable place to work
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 2, 2015
a typical day at work was busy, I learned that you have to have patients to work in the field I was in, The management was fear, I enjoyed working with my co-worker, I was new there coming from another state; they made me fill right at home. the hardest part of the job was starting all over and getting the hang of everything, cause every company does things different; but I was okay everyone pitch and made me comfortable and I enjoyed working there.
Cons
healthcare
SMG Financial Counselor
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 19, 2015
I love that there is opportunity for growth within SMG however be patient because it can take awhile. SMG processes are constantly changing and they work with you.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Pay, Can take awhile to advance
Good Compensation & Work/Life Balance
Temp (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 5, 2012
The company offered good/competitive compensation. They were flexible pertaining to hours, which was really nice that they were understanding when it came to appointments, etc. Communication from management could have been better. I felt excluded from the department being that I was a temp and didn't feel as though my co-workers were there to help me out if I needed it.
company was excellent at providing on job training as codes changed and getting the ceu's needed
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 24, 2013
Sentara was an excellent place to work. Well respected in the community and constant updates were available to keep up with all new technology. Employees got together every month for group meetings to discuss any ongoing issues to get team help to resolve. Loved that everyone was able to get along so well.
Pros
great benefits and free lunches on several days a week.
Opportunity to grow professionally
Marketing / PR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
If you are looking to expand your professional skills, Sentara Medical Group is the place to. They provide plenty of opportunity to to grow within the company and foster your personal skills. My immediate team members were all very hard workers and I enjoyed learning from them all.
Great Work Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2015
Great organization to work for all around. Supportive management and nice work environment. Tasks covered a broad spectrum that touched on a number of different facets of the Medical Group.
Be teachable
Senior Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 21, 2015
At SMG, you have to approach job and assignment with an open mind. Be willing to take in other information and opinions to get the job accomplished. You will never have all the answers and you shouldn't be afraid to ask for help. In asking for that help, be humble and receptive to it knowing that you can't always be right.
Productive and fun
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2015
Worked for numerous providers, billing from charge entry, follow up, pt collections to payment posting. Also, had good communication with the provider's office.
Excellent company to work for.
Supervisor- Margie Smith (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 3, 2013
Complete support for one physician. I handled the triage, lab results, pharmacy calls and rooming patients. I assisted with office procedure's and did a lot of patient teaching on High blood pressure and high cholesterol and diabetes. The hardest part of this job was keeping up with patient demand as on some days we saw over 35 patients and as many calls. The best part of the job was all the teaching my physician did. I learned so much from him.
Pros
education, networking, patient care
Cons
Great company to work for
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 28, 2015
Sentara is a great company to work for.I have been there for a few years now and I must say I don't have anything negative to say about them.
Learning step
Patient Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Learned a great deal about the insurance world and how payments were applied/credited. I had a good trainer. But, the department could have done more to make their temporary workers permanent employees
Cons
pay
Very fast paced placed to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake VirginiaFebruary 14, 2015
I enjoyed being taught by very nice people. My schedule was from 7 to 3pm. Being with this company for my internship help with my knowledge I have today.
Pros
served free lunch every friday.
Cons
short work days.
Patient Care Representatice
Patient Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 13, 2012
I checked patients in and out, registered them, obtained and processed insurance information, obtained referrals and authorizations, scheduled testing and out patient procedures. Completed various other administrative tasks.
Pros
great doctors to work for.
Cons
management issues/lack of communication made job stressful.
Oppurtunity to grow
Senior Mediacal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginina Beach VAJanuary 23, 2012
This is a really great place to work you will never be without a job.
There is always room for advancement and education training to help you keep up on your CEU
Pros
tranfomation of care program
Cons
discontinuing of the samples for the patient
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2012
I really enjoyed working at SMG. I took pride in my work and working with the public. I learned alot as well as contributed to my job. Team players always willing to help co-workers.Hardest part of my job is telling patients like elderly there balance knowing they are on fixed income and can't afford there balance.
Pros
doctors are great and respectful to employees
Cons
healthcare

4.4