Sentry Insurance Employee Reviews

Solid company to work for
Retirement Plan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 12, 2017
Very conservative; take care of the employees who take care of them. Most employees at the home office in WI have been there for 20+ years so set in their ways.
stress
Account manager (Current Employee) –  Dakota, MNOctober 23, 2017
Lots of windshield time! Pay and benefits are good. Company car is great perk. Work in multiple states, so I travel, a lot. There is a LOT of windshield time
You are only a number and easily replaced
401k Employee (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 20, 2017
Worked there for over a decade. Loved my coworkers but management (mainly the higher up VPs) ONLY care about the $$$$ NOT the employees!! Immediate supervisors were fine but have to do what they are told from above. Sentry claims to care about their people - that's a lie!! They care about upholding a fancy image! Unfortunate how newer management can make a good company into a bad career decision.
Pros
Great coworkers and customers
Cons
No advancement, bad management
Nothing good
Claims Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 16, 2017
No respect. Unappreciative. Vacation days given was appropriate. Benefits also a plus. Lots of games and begging for money one way or another for whatever their cause was.
Pros
vacation days
Cons
stressful. unfriendly company
Provides the illusion of employee first mentality
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 16, 2017
Working at Sentry is about the quantity not the quality of work. This is now part of the Corporate Culture which does not take kindly to thinking outside of the box or against the grain. If you are a free thinker and question processes and controls to management then I would not recommend a career at Sentry. They preach one message in their employee training but do not follow through with the way employees are handled.
Pros
Lots of employee benifits
Cons
It is not what you know it is who you know.
Not for everyone
Claim Representative I (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 9, 2017
Management is good and they are willing to work with you, have to be focused and committed, if you like to challenge yourself like I do this is the place for you.
horrible place to work
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 9, 2017
its a call center yeah you get paid good but its a horrible enviorment to work at. you get treated horrible not only by the customers but by your boss as well. no good training and god for bid you ask for more or help then you pretty much get looked at like your dumb and they find a way to fire you
Pros
nothing decent health insurance not good
Cons
benefits, managers, training
Stay out of the retirement department
Employer Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 8, 2017
There are many areas of Sentry Insurance that I have heard many good things about... positive environment, room for advancement, quality management, and more. BUT, the retirement plan department, which is often hiring, is not one of those areas. Most of the managers are sub-par... favoritism, micro-managing, harassment, constant negativity, and sometimes outright deception. (I will admit that a couple of the managers in this department are the exact opposite... but they have limited authority.) The moral in this department is about as low as it can get.

A typical day at work includes dozens of phone calls, dozens of emails, and even more 'tasks' that are to be done. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management and their constant negativity.

The most enjoyable part of the job actually has nothing to do with the job itself... it's the treat days in celebration of each others birthdays and anniversaries... the relationships built with co-workers and even the customers...

Sentry as a whole is a solid company that is worth getting in with... decent (but not good) pay... great benefits, however. The company is very supportive in most ways... but stay away from the 401(k) Department.
Pros
Great benefits. Great customers. Great co-workers.
Cons
Negative environment. High stress.
Overworked and under appreciated
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 8, 2017
High turnover. If you "don't get it" after training you will be fired and your tasks/claims will be given to your already overworked coworkers. Some employees have been fired for very little while others remain- obviously due to favoritism. Some employees walk around and talk all day and can't keep up. If you sit at your desk all day and do keep up, you will be expected to do more work and help the lazy employees. Poor management leads to outbursts at the end of the month to "make the numbers". The key to advancement is to be liked or "favored". The pay is good but the environment kills your spirit.
Pros
Paycheck every two weeks
Cons
Workload, attitudes and management
Very fast paced work environment
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 6, 2017
My day at work consisted of answering inbound calls for the majority of the day. Must be able to understand computer programs and offer great customer service. The employees are friendly and you are offered many perks. Management is not the greatest and everyone is just a number.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Micro managed
Call Center Work
Claims Technician (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCSeptember 26, 2017
It's probably what you'd imagine working in a call center is like--answer phones, sit in front of a computer, work in a cubicle. I would not consider my position demanding, but it can easily drain your mind quickly between the constant calls, monotony, and overall boredom that is likely to occur. All-in-all, I'd still label it as the best job I've ever had. They are very willing to accommodate your schedule when working part-time. The only major drawback is that full-time positions are limited and rarely open up.
Great company to work for
Enterprise Scanning Technician (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WISeptember 23, 2017
All of the staff is very friendly and willing to help out when needed.
I love working for this company. We have many treat days and fun activities to help keep the employees happy.
Great
HR Generalist - Originations/Operations (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2017
Great place to work , it was absolutely amazing and I learned a lot from my time there. I would reccomend the company to anyone in search of a stable organization
Sentry values employees less than financial results
Senior Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 16, 2017
Sentry management can be harsh and overbearing. The culture is one of management by the numbers, resulting in high turn over, and most claims people on prescribed anti-depressant, anti-anxiety medication. Adjusters are assigned about 50% more claims than most can comfortably handle.
Pros
Good people.
Lack of Cohesiveness and Archaic Culture
Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 15, 2017
Sentry represents an archaic culture and lacks cohesiveness across management. Limited diversity coupled with the aforementioned points results in a business platform where good-intentions lack follow-through and the proper management and attention-to-detail required to get things done. Communication is virtually non-existent. Unless your are a "home-office" employee sitting in Steven's Point, you are a number on a spread-sheet. Your input will not be valued and you are completely expendable. They'll throw you a solid salary and expect you to build a pyramid with limited resources. This company has zero consideration for investing in their people. Hands-down, this was the worst company I've ever worked for. Nepotism is alive and well at Sentry!
Excellent cooperation among fellow employees
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 26, 2017
I retired in 2009, so I don't know the current atmosphere within the company, but when I was there, it was a cordial atmosphere with a good team environment.
Management was receptive to employee concerns and strove to maintain parity between employees
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Stressful job
high intensity work environment with customer satisfaction
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCAugust 22, 2017
Provided information to clients to choose most effective automobile for their family and meet the needs of all that will operate the vehicle. Provided excellent customer service.
Pros
great pay and was able to make happy customers and make new friends
Cons
very high demand long hour days
Culture varies
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIAugust 11, 2017
Workplace culture depends on who you report to. Worked for a boss who was horrible and created a hostile work environment. Was finally able to transfer to a different department reporting to a manager who valued me.
Pros
Good vacation after five years of service
Cons
You're like a cog in a huge bureaucracy
Fun workplace
CLAIMS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCAugust 9, 2017
My duties at Sentry were simple. i was a claims tech and took accident details. Sentry was great with activities in order to keep employees motivated and excited. we would celebrate birthdays and other events.
Fun place to develop and play chess.
Software Associate Developer (Former Employee) –  Plover, WIAugust 6, 2017
A lot of fun. Learn new stuff at your pace and develop for real world use applications.I learned many new things, mainly new programming languages and methods.
Pros
Free food, Relaxed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sentry Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9