Sentry Insurance

Sentry Insurance United States Employee Reviews

Jr. QA Tester (Former Employee), Orange, CTMarch 26, 2015
That was my first job in IT industry. I gain lot of things from there. that's very helped in my career. I loved it. Good environment. Good communications.
Great company for the job culture
Business Product Specialist (Former Employee), New YorkMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Company car, home office, you obtain a book of business that you make renewal commission on right away, depending on how big the book is, that can be helpful.
Cons: They want you selling from 8-4 everyday out of your home office, if things come up or you need to do trainings, they want you doing that at night or in the wee hours of the morning, it can definitely be time consuming. One rep on my team worked about 70 hours a week.
I would recommend this job to anyone who is comfortable cold calling prospective accounts, and doesn't mind getting told to get lost numerous times a day. In order to succeed in this position you must be persistent. That means calling on the same leads 5-10 times before the decision maker will even talk to you in most cases.

You get a company car and little supervision, so the perks of this job are nice, the 401k match is great and the health care is cheap and affordable. The benefits and perks to this job are great, but that is because it is a hard job, it is certainly not for everyone.

I am more of a cut and dry person, so having the persistence to continue to call on business owners who couldn't be bothered just wasn't for me. The previous rep in my territory did very well because he was persistent. Many of my customers told me that when I took the territory over. That is another plus to this job, only rep for Sentry in your territory and you are a direct writer so not even brokers can get your quotes, it makes you different. Which Sentry would have you believe is a much bigger deal than the average business owner will care to hear.

My manager was good, he definitely wanted me and all his reps to succeed and would give you the tools to do it. I decided to leave the company because the fit wasn't right, but I can see how someone who is a little more aggressive than me could be very successful.
Need better work-life balance
WORKERS COMPENSATION CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE II (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 23, 2015
A great place to work, BUT....the work load is very unrealistic especially when compared to the salary level. They are trying to get better work flows, but more work continues to be piled on to the people they know who can finish it. In the meantime, people who do next to nothing have no additional work. It is VERY uneven.

Pros: Constant training on processes within the system. The management team for the most part is good. Co-workers are great.

Cons: No jurisdictional training. Salary is ridiculous low and lower than the market standard.
Much management, no leadership
Claims (Former Employee), WIMarch 15, 2015
Pros: 401 k match
Cons: management, lack of leadership and vision
Unless you're in with the "group" you are a scapegoat. Upper Management lack leadership skills, do not understand strategy and continue to shrink while losing money. Would not be surprised if shareholders demand more responsibility and better results.
Flexible but Stressful
Claims Representative II (Former Employee), Goldsboro, NCMarch 6, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: stress
I really enjoyed my time at Sentry. I enjoyed my coworkers tremendously however they company did not reward teamwork, if anything it punished it. It had very flexible schedules however the hours could be very long and extensive which made it difficult for work/life balance. Workload can be very stressful.
Great flexibility and pay
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WIFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: fired all the agents
Cons: flexibility and pay
It was a wonderful experience. I enjoyed the environment. Stressful at times but the rewards out weighed the work stress. You were definitely treated with respect, rewards and money for doing your job. It's to bad they sold the division.
Great
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Novi, MIFebruary 19, 2015
Working for this company really showed me how to run a business with character and integrity. I would recommend this company to anyone in treated in learning about business.
Great Place to start your career.
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Stevens Point, WIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: great entry level career, cheap food in cafeteria, friendly co-worker atmosphere, great initial job advancement
Cons: little time for skill development, quickly get pigeonholed into position
Sentry is a great place to start out in your career. They offer stability as well as allowing new associates to become acclimated to the Agile Project Methodology.

A typical day is to come in from 7-8:30 and leave around 3:30-5. Work will be assigned out to you. You'll meet with your team each day for a 30 min scrum.

Management directly above the associate level is very receptive and understanding. Past that, metrics take over and the upper management is clearly looking at those.

The associates at Sentry are very friendly and want you to succeed. There are very little politics with the other developers and engineers.

The hardest part of the job is getting your machine ready. There is a lot of red tape to go through in order to get your machine and applications on it. This makes the first month pretty boring and tedious.

Once you move up a couple levels in the ladder of IT, you are pigeon holed as far as what you are doing. The team they put you on initially is most likely the team you will be on for the rest of your time there. There is very little shuffling from Production Support to Active Development and vice-versa. There are several opportunities to do outside work, but those tasks are short lived.
Fun Workplace
Senior Developer (Former Employee), USAFebruary 12, 2015
Really Fun loving place. They have very much good understating with employees so every one will love to work with them. Really Fun loving place. They have very much good understating with employees so every one will love to work with them.
just a job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Freeport, ILFebruary 11, 2015
i dont think sentry insurance understands that the employees are not just a number and we are actual people. they need to get something new to help with this issue
Great work skills learned
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), Davenport IowaFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: great work skills
Cons: long hours
I investigated and settled automobile accident claims and injuries. Conducted investigations over the telephone, via mail, fax and email. I worked on a team of 6- 8 coworkers. Investigating claims required excellent time management and attention to details. Since I was responsible for issuing payment of up to $5000 I worked really closely with management.
Worked in various claims position within the Sentry orginization.
Subrogation/Special Investigation Claims Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2015
My experience with Sentry Insurance included working as Claims Examiner and eventually promoted to Claims Director/ Vice president. Some of my other duties included establishing successful subrogation and SIU units.
Lots of opportunity for solid life long career
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: competitive salaries and benefits
Cons: pressures of outside sales
Great training for new to insurance industry. Lots of opportunity to move up with in the company for performers. I started as a sales representative and quickly moved into a sale manager position.
Life of an adjuster
Property Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), Irvine, CADecember 15, 2014
Process 10 initial claims per day. Obtain recorded statements from all parties involved. Setup vehicle inspections. Review police reports. Review vehicle inspections. Determine liability. Pay parties. Close. Subrogate against other insurance companies. Respond to Arbitration. I learned how to handle claims from a different point of view, Management was always helpful. My co-workers were always willing to help . The hardest part of the job was making a liability decision. The most enjoyable part was investigating the accident
Bad benefits, lousy management, terrible products, tenured workforce
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WINovember 24, 2014
Pros: 401k, golf discount, reasonably priced cafeteria
Cons: lousy health benefits, bad management, lack of creativity
Sentry Insurance likes to brag that they are a Midwest Company with Midwest conservative values. Well, their current product offerings reflect this. In no way, shape or form is anything "cutting edge." The technology was recently updated from an old mainframe and is still based on using function keys.

The work wasn't difficult, but management never really understood what you did. They played their favorites, enabled the gossips, and praised the CYA types.

The pay was lousy and raises were never guaranteed. "The money just isn't in the budget" was a common excuse when you are getting way underpaid. Being in central WI, they knew that the people in that area wouldn't complain.

The 401k match is nice. 100% up to 6%. However, the health insurance was awful. You might as well not even of had coverage when you have a deductible in the thousands and monthly deductions of $600 or so bucks.

If you are stuck in the area, you probably are stuck here. If you can get out, take your experience and get promoted somewhere else.
This is not the place you're looking for
N/A (Current Employee), Stevens Point, WINovember 23, 2014
Pros: there are no really good aspects to working here.
Cons: no balance between life/work. expected to do other department's jobs. expected to do work, just to do work, no concept of smarter not harder.
This is not the place to be. If you're expecting something grand, move along. The department I work in doesn't do what people would expect it to do. We're expected to take care of other department's work, and that's not seen as a problem....except I'm not trained to deal with mechanical equipment...but I'm expected to know when something is wrong and how to fix it....

The balance between time you have for yourself and the time you're at work is non-existent...meaning, you're expected to work a 12 hour shift, be off for 5 1/2 hours, then return to work for another 8 or 12 hour shift. We're also expected do work just to do work....by that I mean, once someone has completed something once in a shift, you're expected to do it again...some times twice in a day....which serves no purpose aside from stroking other department's egos and creating busy work.

Be warned, this is not the place to work. If you're looking for good wages, you're barking up the wrong tree. The benefits are so expensive as part-time, it's hardly worth the effort here. There is also little to no room for advancement....if you apply, I feel sorry for you.
Productive and fun work place.
Claims Technician (Former Employee), Goldsboro, NCNovember 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits package
Cons: 30 minute lunch
Processed new insurance claims for auto and home. A call center environment. Sentry Insurance had a wonderful training program with continuous trainings throughout the year. The management staff was wonderful. Always willing to help. The management staff always gave praise when you did a good job and constructive critism when needed. There was not a lot of time to socialize at work due to the type of work we all did in a call center. All technicians were continuously on the phone. When not on a call, the claims techs were given mail to do or other varied tasks. All co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job was sitting for long periods of time and taking fatality claims. The most enjoyable part of the job was no two claims were the same. The time normally passed fairly quickly. There were potlucks to celebrate birthdays and holidays.
N/A
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WINovember 18, 2014
This employeer is no longer working in the Stevens Point area. While they were here they were a good company.
Overall great place to work
Director, Program Management (Former Employee), Middleton, WINovember 2, 2014
Pros: compensation is good as well as opportunities to learn and develop.
Cons: benefits were expensive and limited.
Good place to work. Good engagement among all employees. Culture is good as well.
Claim agent support staff
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VaOctober 9, 2014
Pros: company parties
Cons: none to mention
A typical work day was to assist claims agents with research for varied insurance claims. Greet customers via the phone, fax invoices. Management was great they did a lot of employee activities for growth within the company

1 2 3 4 5

About Sentry Insurance

Founded in 1904, Sentry Insurance is one of the largest and strongest mutual insurance companies in America. Sentry is one – Read more

Sentry Insurance Salaries