Sentry Insurance

Sentry Insurance Employee Reviews

Summary
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee), Stevens Point, WIJuly 8, 2015
it is a good place to get an entry level job and move up in the company. its hard at first but once you get to know people it gets better.
Helping the public
SENIOR CLAIMS APPRAISER (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2015
Pros: helping the public
Cons: denying coverage
Helping the public get through some times traumatic experiences by putting them back where they belong. Explaining the claims process in the initial first contact helped people a little at ease when they knew our company was there to help them.
The "Rolls-Royce" of Insurance Companies
Robert Lankin, Business Products Manager (Current Employee), Thorndale, PAJune 28, 2015
Pros: Company Car, Great Benefits, Base Salary for Sales, Breed Loyalty
Cons: Lower commissions, VERY demanding hours (hard to balance with home life), Very demanding product and competitive industry
Sentry may be the best company out there for insurance agents. We sell business insurance, group benefits, retirement plans, and life insurance for very select industries. A typical day consists of soliciting new business, servicing current business, and planning based on company strategies/goals to better achieve new and retention business. They are very good to their sales reps compared to other companies, really "investing" in their reps rather than "sell fast or die" like I see elsewhere. However, the insurance sales world is very competitive, especially in a state like PA, and Sentry's products tend to be the best in actual product quality, but are very rarely competitive in pricing. As a result, it can be very difficult to acquire and retain new business unless you are extremely motivated, hardworking, and possess all the qualities of an excellent sales rep. I succeeded here for 4 years and am eager to see what the future brings.
Great people, great pay, great company, very flexible
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Stevens Point, WIMay 13, 2015
Pros: Laid back environment, good pay for the area, subsidized lunches
Cons: Boring topic (insurance), management can get a bit too focused on their daily tasks, health plan is marginal
If you are completing your work on time then everything will be wonderful here. The people are great, and are always willing to help out or go get a drink after work. It can be a very laid back environment, as the management tends to let you flex hours however you want so long as everything is moving along nicely.

If you start to fall behind then management will be on you (almost to an annoying level) trying to figure out what is going wrong and why you are behind - a bit of finger pointing will go on between the middle-management, but the upper-management seems to understand the development process a bit better. Can be a little bit like Office Space.
A nice company for a family
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Stevens Point, WIMay 13, 2015
Pros: Nice building, good starting pay
Cons: Slow advancement
If you're looking to settle down Sentry is a great place for you. The company offers some great perks, like a pool, rec center, golf course, theater. Sentry is a big part of the community.

The company is huge, and departments are similar to Middle Ages lordships fighting each other for control. This makes it hard to get things done sometimes if a team decides it doesn't want to be cooperative.

Pay rates are good at first. Unfortunately, raises and advancement leaves a lot to be desired. The company seems to hire in a lot of higher-level engineers instead of promoting from within. A regular yearly bonus is nice. Raises are also given yearly but they are minimal.

Finally, health insurance in the area is just terrible compared to what you would find in larger cities.
this company likes to keep it's employees happy
Product Support Processor III for Cancel Non-Renew (Current Employee), Freeport, ILApril 13, 2015
I love this company. I've never worked anywhere where the employer actually cares about both it's employees and their customers. They also are very involved with the United Way and countless other charities. I get something ridiculous like 32 paid days off a year and a profit sharing bonus. I am only leaving because the area I live in is terrible and I need a change of scenery. I have nothing but good things to say about Sentry, except that they havrn't relocated me yet!
Jr. QA Tester (Former Employee), Orange, CTMarch 26, 2015
That was my first job in IT industry. I gain lot of things from there. that's very helped in my career. I loved it. Good environment. Good communications.
Great company for the job culture
Business Product Specialist (Former Employee), New YorkMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Company car, home office, you obtain a book of business that you make renewal commission on right away, depending on how big the book is, that can be helpful.
Cons: They want you selling from 8-4 everyday out of your home office, if things come up or you need to do trainings, they want you doing that at night or in the wee hours of the morning, it can definitely be time consuming. One rep on my team worked about 70 hours a week.
I would recommend this job to anyone who is comfortable cold calling prospective accounts, and doesn't mind getting told to get lost numerous times a day. In order to succeed in this position you must be persistent. That means calling on the same leads 5-10 times before the decision maker will even talk to you in most cases.

You get a company car and little supervision, so the perks of this job are nice, the 401k match is great and the health care is cheap and affordable. The benefits and perks to this job are great, but that is because it is a hard job, it is certainly not for everyone.

I am more of a cut and dry person, so having the persistence to continue to call on business owners who couldn't be bothered just wasn't for me. The previous rep in my territory did very well because he was persistent. Many of my customers told me that when I took the territory over. That is another plus to this job, only rep for Sentry in your territory and you are a direct writer so not even brokers can get your quotes, it makes you different. Which Sentry would have you believe is a much bigger deal than the average business owner will care to hear.

My manager was good, he definitely wanted me and all his reps to succeed and would give you the tools to do it. I decided to leave the company because the fit wasn't right, but I can see how someone who is a little more aggressive than me could be very successful.
Need better work-life balance
WORKERS COMPENSATION CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE II (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 23, 2015
A great place to work, BUT....the work load is very unrealistic especially when compared to the salary level. They are trying to get better work flows, but more work continues to be piled on to the people they know who can finish it. In the meantime, people who do next to nothing have no additional work. It is VERY uneven.

Pros: Constant training on processes within the system. The management team for the most part is good. Co-workers are great.

Cons: No jurisdictional training. Salary is ridiculous low and lower than the market standard.
Much management, no leadership
Claims (Former Employee), WIMarch 15, 2015
Pros: 401 k match
Cons: management, lack of leadership and vision
Unless you're in with the "group" you are a scapegoat. Upper Management lack leadership skills, do not understand strategy and continue to shrink while losing money. Would not be surprised if shareholders demand more responsibility and better results.
Flexible but Stressful
Claims Representative II (Former Employee), Goldsboro, NCMarch 6, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: stress
I really enjoyed my time at Sentry. I enjoyed my coworkers tremendously however they company did not reward teamwork, if anything it punished it. It had very flexible schedules however the hours could be very long and extensive which made it difficult for work/life balance. Workload can be very stressful.
Great flexibility and pay
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WIFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: fired all the agents
Cons: flexibility and pay
It was a wonderful experience. I enjoyed the environment. Stressful at times but the rewards out weighed the work stress. You were definitely treated with respect, rewards and money for doing your job. It's to bad they sold the division.
Great
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Novi, MIFebruary 19, 2015
Working for this company really showed me how to run a business with character and integrity. I would recommend this company to anyone in treated in learning about business.
Great Place to start your career.
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Stevens Point, WIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: great entry level career, cheap food in cafeteria, friendly co-worker atmosphere, great initial job advancement
Cons: little time for skill development, quickly get pigeonholed into position
Sentry is a great place to start out in your career. They offer stability as well as allowing new associates to become acclimated to the Agile Project Methodology.

A typical day is to come in from 7-8:30 and leave around 3:30-5. Work will be assigned out to you. You'll meet with your team each day for a 30 min scrum.

Management directly above the associate level is very receptive and understanding. Past that, metrics take over and the upper management is clearly looking at those.

The associates at Sentry are very friendly and want you to succeed. There are very little politics with the other developers and engineers.

The hardest part of the job is getting your machine ready. There is a lot of red tape to go through in order to get your machine and applications on it. This makes the first month pretty boring and tedious.

Once you move up a couple levels in the ladder of IT, you are pigeon holed as far as what you are doing. The team they put you on initially is most likely the team you will be on for the rest of your time there. There is very little shuffling from Production Support to Active Development and vice-versa. There are several opportunities to do outside work, but those tasks are short lived.
Fun Workplace
Senior Developer (Former Employee), USAFebruary 12, 2015
Really Fun loving place. They have very much good understating with employees so every one will love to work with them. Really Fun loving place. They have very much good understating with employees so every one will love to work with them.
just a job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Freeport, ILFebruary 11, 2015
i dont think sentry insurance understands that the employees are not just a number and we are actual people. they need to get something new to help with this issue
Great work skills learned
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), Davenport IowaFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: great work skills
Cons: long hours
I investigated and settled automobile accident claims and injuries. Conducted investigations over the telephone, via mail, fax and email. I worked on a team of 6- 8 coworkers. Investigating claims required excellent time management and attention to details. Since I was responsible for issuing payment of up to $5000 I worked really closely with management.
Worked in various claims position within the Sentry orginization.
Subrogation/Special Investigation Claims Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2015
My experience with Sentry Insurance included working as Claims Examiner and eventually promoted to Claims Director/ Vice president. Some of my other duties included establishing successful subrogation and SIU units.
Lots of opportunity for solid life long career
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: competitive salaries and benefits
Cons: pressures of outside sales
Great training for new to insurance industry. Lots of opportunity to move up with in the company for performers. I started as a sales representative and quickly moved into a sale manager position.
Life of an adjuster
Property Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), Irvine, CADecember 15, 2014
Process 10 initial claims per day. Obtain recorded statements from all parties involved. Setup vehicle inspections. Review police reports. Review vehicle inspections. Determine liability. Pay parties. Close. Subrogate against other insurance companies. Respond to Arbitration. I learned how to handle claims from a different point of view, Management was always helpful. My co-workers were always willing to help . The hardest part of the job was making a liability decision. The most enjoyable part was investigating the accident

1 2 3 4 5

About Sentry Insurance

Founded in 1904, Sentry Insurance is one of the largest and strongest mutual insurance companies in America. Sentry is one – Read more

Sentry Insurance Salaries