Sentry Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

Great company and great work place
Claims fnol (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 15, 2016
Answering inbound calls. Taking down information due to car accidents. Transferring callers to the right department or claim reps. I learned to handle callers who were upset and made in a manner that makes them feel better and more comfortable. The managers and coworkers were great! The hardest part of this job was taking the calls where the accidents lead to the death of the callers family member. The best part of my job was getting to talk to new people from all over the world every day!
Pros
Bounus, great people
Claims
Commercial Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIApril 28, 2016
Responsible for dissemination of information to parties involved in an automobile accident (Including explanation of coverage, rights and responsibilities, and options for handling their damage claim/injury)
Heartless
Insurance Rater (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WI 54481April 19, 2016
Rather not explain, due to release because of diagnosis of cancer. State company is willing to work with you due to illness, then releases you from your duties.
Applying and pre-employment testing
BI Claims adjuster work from home (Former Employee) –  remotelyApril 11, 2016
I applied for the BI adjuster (work from home) position. I have over 20 years experience as a BI adjuster. I applied and was sent a link to do an "assessment of my skill levels". What I received was an online test for a Call Center employee for Airlines, Credit card companies, Insurance Agent office and Banking.

I have never been a Call Center employee. I have been a Claims adjuster who investigates, evaluates and settles claims involving bodily injuries. The test Sentry put me through was based on how fast you could answer a call, find the information online, answer the caller's question and essentially make no resolution to the problem the customer was calling about.

This "skill level assessment" had absolutely nothing to do with the job duties of a BI claims adjuster.

Shortly after completing the online assessment, I received an email stating I "did not meet the requirements to be a Claims Adjuster" Too funny. What have I been doing for the last 20 years?
Pros
I don't know
Cons
Spending 45 minutes of my life taking their "skill assessment" test that I will never get back.
Highly productive
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCMarch 10, 2016
Sentry Insurance is a highly productive company with great people. The biggest downside would be the lack of overtime pay, as hours would go very much beyond the 40-hour work week.
An excellent company to work for
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIJanuary 23, 2016
Work on this company is around fixated schedules arranged every two weeks. Your times are clearly define with enough time for changes to be arranged. The amount of income calls can vary on a daily basis, the company however has other documents that will need to be worked along claims. So you will stay busy no matter what.

The environment with co-workers is excellent with friendly people working with and around you. Everyone is eager to help and managers are always there if you need help.

The hardest part of the job will be assisting claimants and Insured's needs, you will need to be always attentive and polity no matter what. On occasion you will encounter a difficult call and you will need to learn to calmly help in any way you can. This can lead to stress and will determine if you are a good match for the job.

The best part of this job is that you are helping people in a small way, but an integral and important part.
Pros
Solid arranged schedules, good food, excellent workers
Cons
stressful calls form time to time, can be tedious due to repetition
Great Company to Work for in a Great Community
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIJanuary 12, 2016
Great Company that takes care of its associates and it's surrounding communities . Lots of amenities offered for Sentry employees including a workout facility on campus, indoor pool on campus, tennis courts, championship and globally recognized golf course, etc.
confidential
Java Integration Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 14, 2015
Worked as integration developer for the team which integrates FormsGateway component with PolicyCenter and billing center to produce Forms using Documaker.
Decades of making the company millions and got laid off.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2015
Out of touch with reality, no direction, very noncompetitive issues, autocratic management style, run by people who should not be in management positions because it is all about company earnings period. If I would have known how much time I wasted at this company, I never would have stayed as long plus a few years from early retirement, they get rid of people-a lot of people. They make a lot of money but do not care at all about employees, stay away from this outfit, will get rid of people with no thought or conscience. Basically afraid of their own shadow.
Pros
OK pay
Cons
Horrible healthcare, poor management
Stay away, far away-ulterior motives
Anon (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 12, 2015
Awful management in most areas, very out of touch with the realities of what it takes to get their "big ideas" to work on the timeline they need to meet to get a bonus. Tip: a new work space and new cafeteria are nice, but please don't think it will make up for not receiving basic appreciation and good old fashioned respect for a job well done. Plus, it might benefit the company a little when shooting that recruiting video, eh?
Pros
Cheap lattes
Cons
Mind games and no respect for years of hard work
Decent pay but work/life balance non-existent
Claims Representative II (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2015
Excellent pay and benefits, but management left much to be desired. Micro-managing is no way to manage your employees.
Claims Representative II (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2015
Excellent initial training program, that provided a new employee, that was new to the industry, a plethora of knowledge.

Great opportunity for employee development.

Family type atmosphere.
Pros
Training and developement opportunities
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
Demanding in a good way.
Sr. Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WISeptember 17, 2015
I worked on the road for Sentry which gave me freedom to work from home. It requires a great deal of concentration and discipline to work effectively from home.

I enjoyed the freedom, but also enjoyed my limited time in the office to catch up on mail, my co-workers and inner workings of the company. Management was supportive, but insurance is all about the numbers. My numbers were met each month.

I often worked longer hours than what were required to learn each claim individually.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Non....it was the best job ever.
sales
Manager (Former Employee) –  ILSeptember 10, 2015
Overall its a solid place to work. Stable. Lots of freedom and autonomy for the self-starter. Lots of education and resources available. Overall a good experience
Best company I have ever worked for
Translator (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCAugust 9, 2015
Sentry was a wonderful company who took their employees into consideration definitely a great company to work for. Co workers are always willing to help in any way. Management is very proactive in helping their employees as well.
Very positive work environment.
Market Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 1, 2015
Sentry is a great place to work and it has a great work/life balance. The management is great and they are very approachable. The only drawbacks is that the company is not based in Chicago and that overall salary is not very high.
Sentry Insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 9, 2015
Sentry Insurance was a great place to work.

The management was very supportive and communicated their expectations very well.

It was a very enjoyable and positive place to work.

I worked at the Davenport, IA location.
Summary
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIJuly 8, 2015
it is a good place to get an entry level job and move up in the company. its hard at first but once you get to know people it gets better.
Helping the public
SENIOR CLAIMS APPRAISER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2015
Helping the public get through some times traumatic experiences by putting them back where they belong. Explaining the claims process in the initial first contact helped people a little at ease when they knew our company was there to help them.
Pros
helping the public
Cons
denying coverage
The "Rolls-Royce" of Insurance Companies
Robert Lankin, Business Products Manager (Current Employee) –  Thorndale, PAJune 28, 2015
Sentry may be the best company out there for insurance agents. We sell business insurance, group benefits, retirement plans, and life insurance for very select industries. A typical day consists of soliciting new business, servicing current business, and planning based on company strategies/goals to better achieve new and retention business. They are very good to their sales reps compared to other companies, really "investing" in their reps rather than "sell fast or die" like I see elsewhere. However, the insurance sales world is very competitive, especially in a state like PA, and Sentry's products tend to be the best in actual product quality, but are very rarely competitive in pricing. As a result, it can be very difficult to acquire and retain new business unless you are extremely motivated, hardworking, and possess all the qualities of an excellent sales rep. I succeeded here for 4 years and am eager to see what the future brings.
Pros
Company Car, Great Benefits, Base Salary for Sales, Breed Loyalty
Cons
Lower commissions, VERY demanding hours (hard to balance with home life), Very demanding product and competitive industry