Sephora Employee Reviews in United States

Fun, Energetic, Growth
Sales Associate/Color Consultant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILDecember 15, 2015
I started off as a cashier and then moved to color. It was a very engaging company, they were all about growth within their team and customer service was NUMBER 1. I loved that they held a strong structure and you can see how this company is so successful. My coworkers were amazing. I learned the best customer service strategies here which I think in any business/company is always the ultimate goal. I loved how you can make a career out of Sephora, they have the best benefits and pay.
Pros
Fun, energetic, you can definitely make a career out of this company
Cons
Sometime the long hours for season can get overwhelming for those that have not worked in this area.
Management can make or break your passion for such a great Company.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PAFebruary 29, 2016
Great Company to work for with so many job titles to have and fun atmosphere. The management on the other hand is mostly the problem other than the work/life/balance and compensation. Management made working there very stressful. The trainings kept me there until I could not take the management any longer.
Pros
Training, gratis, benefits
Cons
management, pay, work life balance, hours
Fast paced enviorment
Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Ever changing and trendy work place. I have grown as an employee of this company since being hired. I have learned many things from exceptional leaders and they have helped me to excel within this company. Co-workers and I are driven and passionate about the business and work well together as a team.The hardest part of the job is work life balance. I have come to recognize that this is a part of retail management and i am doing my best to keep this balance and remain goal oriented.The most enjoyable aspect of working at Sephora is the people. Both internal and external clients are what i look forward to. from acquiring, hiring, or developing the talent within the company to making a clients day by simply finding a new color to bring out their natural beauty. This is what truly motivates me!
benefits
Cons
short or no lunch breaks.
Better pay and advancement opportunities
Color Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 23, 2015
It wasn't at all what i was expecting. It was fine at first but after awhile you realize that it's not worth it. They pay you so little and they expect the world out of you. Not to mention that they prefer to hire any real positions outside of the company so there's little room for advancement. They also except you to work full time hours without the benefits during holidays. After that your back to 15 hours a week. Certainly not something you can live on getting paid 12 and hour which is the average. I've been with the company for more than a year and have seen no improvement at all. it just seems to get worse as time goes by. This job is not for people who want to do makeup full time considering that we are SEVERELY underpaid!
Pros
Gratis, environment
Cons
Hours, Management, Pay, Advancement, and Benefits.
Great place to work. Gratis was amazing!
Skin Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2016
I loved working at Sephora. I learned so much about makeup and skincare. It was so fun doing makeovers for clients. Yes, some clients are demanding and rude, but that happens in any customer service position. I had amazing co-workers and a great leadership team. No commission so we all worked well together and supported each other. The store director was always available to solve any issues.

The gratis we received sorta made up for the low pay, but keep in mind Sephora may not be a career. Its great for young people or as a job to supplement your income. They don't pay as well as Mac cosmetics or other makeup brands. They don't like to give full time status or partial-part time status, because the company does not like paying benefits. Keep in mind most positions are part-time outside of leadership positions.

Their is the opportunity for advancement but it can take time. If you are patient there are opportunities. Overall I enjoyed working there and would go back if corporate cared more about the sales associates.
Pros
Free makeup, lots of free skincare, great Leadership team, lovely co-workers, a team atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, Company does not like to give benefits or make employees full-time
Super fun but don't forget to sale!
Skincare Sales Expert (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 31, 2016
Really fun job with great energy and very friendly coworkers. Lots to learn and cool benefits. Thought the communication on a manger level was extremely poor and although the pay is good, hours were very sparse. Make sure you sale.
Pros
gratis, lunch, discounts, cool people, play with makeup all day, good pay
Cons
little hours, drama here and there
Fun yet Professional workplace
Part Time Color/ Full Time Skin Consultant (Current Employee) –  Las VegasOctober 14, 2015
Very education oriented. Sephora is all about education their cast and having the cast educate clients. No matter if you're in skincare, color, fragrance, or hair we all must have the same great customer service and expertise to assist everyone.
Pros
Many celebrations and events. Free products to try. Great cast members.
Cons
Unreliable scheduling and hard to get hourly raises.
Large warehouse, never a dull moment.
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Belcamp, MDNovember 6, 2015
Very fast paced, quota based job. It is all about how fast and accurate you get your work done. Most employees are hired thru a temporary agency for the holidays, leading to a high turn over rate. That said this was one of the best jobs that I ever had.
Pros
Salary, different shifts to choose from and the days move by very fast.
Cons
Short breaks, turn over rate and the way you find out the schedule for the next day.
Great company!
High Vol. Operations Specialist (Co-Manager) (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 16, 2015
Great company to work for who is passionate about education and development of store level employees. Every year they assess customer service opportunities and create training programs for sales employees to strive for better results.
Can be challenging to balance all the roll-outs and initiatives with the day to day reality of a retail environment.
Pros
benefits, development for sales associates
Cons
balance, lacking development for store exempt employees
Productive, Busy, and Great Enviroment
Cahier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 14, 2015
A typical day at work is assistant clients what's there needs and also keeping up with clients whenever it gets busy. What I learned in Sephora is knowing more about the products. The management is ok, sometimes they don't communicate with the other employees until is too late but besides that they are good. My co-workers are great because they can help you whenever you need help even if they are busy. The hardest part of this job is learning all the products. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people and also making clients feel welcomed.
Pros
Some Free Stuff, Travel to different places to learn about products.
Cons
No Benefits, No hours.
friendly working environment with great department events
2nd Level Support Lead (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2015
Sephora is a great company. The company offers great compensation and awesome bonus. As a company, we always meet our target sales and exceeding. We always come up with great ideas to improve our sales and creating innovative technology to support each product. On the flip side, we need to work extra hard to accomplish the goal.
Pros
great compensation and bonus.
Cons
Work life balance is something we always try very hard to acquire.
Cosmetics Management
Store Manager/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
Great growing company with high morale. Employees and management are treated well, but with low salary standard. Extensive, daily training and cosmetics perks.
Very upbeat and culture diffferences
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work would be very upbeat and busy. Constant clientele. Always doing something and educating clients at all times. I learned so much about leadership during this job and how to give a client top customer service. My co-workers were incredible. They were always nice and helping each other. They were also very bubbly and passionate about their jobs. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with restocking while being so busy. This job is so fast pace that you have to be able to learn how to multi-task. This was the most difficult but I learned o master it. the most enjoyable part of my job was watching clients leave happy and wanting to come back to me for more advice because they said I made them beautiful.
Pros
GRATIS, PAY, FLEXIBLE, EDUCATIONAL
Cons
NOT MUCH OPPORTUNITY FOR PROMOTION, BENEFITS, PART TIME
Fun environment with many different and amazing products.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAOctober 19, 2015
Fun environment with lots of options. Not a high pressure environment and the employees were fun to work with. I learned a lot of different artistry techniques, gained a lot of product knowledge and the education on product knowledge was consistent.
Pros
Great people and amazing products you get to keep!
Cons
No benefits, music is played a little too loud at times.
fun place to work
Fragrance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mission ViejoAugust 14, 2015
I was responsible for fragrance, I really enjoyed meeting the new people and get to know their life style, personality and preference and match them with a smell that represent them. Sephora company is a great company to work for, good benefits and more on the generous side. one thing I love is that each day we watch an educational video about products, i love to be educated in my field so for them to take the time to teach us something everyday is great.
Pros
lots of gratis, co workers were friendly, generous company
Cons
standing long hours
Good company
Distributor/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDDecember 18, 2015
Good company i had to relocate so i did not get to see to much of the company or get to enjoy any of the benefits that they have.
Production line worker and Forklift Operator
Inventory Control Auditor- I (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 21, 2015
I stayed with this company for 9 months proving I was a good reliable employee trying to get hired on so I could get benfits for my family... It never happened so I left and went to a company where I could receive the benefits I needed for my family! It was a step up.. I advanced quickly with my new job... Better pay, PTO, and got benfits the first day I was hired on!
nice
Product consultant (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEDecember 10, 2015
wonderful people - good gratis - good hours and pay pay pay pay pay pay pay pay pay - good benefits - good breaks - nice people
Challenging and fast paced
Color Specialist (Assistant Store Manager) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2016
- A typical day consists of managing conflicting priorities between employees, vendors and supervisors
- I have learned time management, state required HR practices as well as ways to connect with the team that works for me
- Management pushes people to their best and more than they though they could
- There is a mix of personalities in leadership, district leaders are driven and seem to lack balance in their lives however they would never ask their team to do the same
- The hardest part of the job has been learning to work at a faster pace and balance administrative duties, team development while continuing to grow the business
High energy workplace with a family-like environment
Certified artist/ skincare consultant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 24, 2016
Sephora was/is a wonderful company to work for. A typical work day as a certified artist and skincare consultant is to be on time (15 minutes early) and make all of your appointments. I learned to be able to remain high energy, positive, professional, and use effective communication with clients from all walks of life.
The management team is very organized and professional and I gained those traits from working under them. My co-workers are very talented and driven individuals who made work not feel like work. The hardest part of my job was working with 10-15 clients at the same time and making sure everyone left happy. We always made it happen but it was certainly a struggle.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the ability to speak with different people every day and form new relationships. Of course we had our regulars, but whenever someone new walked in we would make sure they felt as though they just walked into their home away from home. It was such a positive work environment and I learned so much from working there.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great management team, meeting new people every day.
Cons
Long hours of standing consistently, poor communication skills from management affected appointments and client service.