Sephora Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 3, 2016
First off I love all the people I work with. I've never been surrounded by such amazing people like I have at this job. They make work enjoyable everyday. Management is extremely helpful throughout the day with clients, and even with everyday work related issues. The hardest part of the job can be the different clients we get every now and then. The most enjoyable part of work for me is all the learning and experience I have gotten by working at Sephora. The beauty industry has always intrigued me, but I never really had a chance to be submersed into it like how I have been at this job. They is so much learning to do and I love every minute of it.
Pros
Gratis, Flexible with hours and time off, and the work environment
Cons
Short breaks, Difficult customers, and on-call shifts
Stay away!
Manager, Corporate Facilities (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2015
The company is trying to push to achieve higher employee satisfaction however, they first need to get managers that share the same passion for this. The company is very top heavy with plenty of VPs and Directors leaving little room for Coordinator and Supervisor roles to actually do work. The company as a whole has very low moral. Meeting-centric culture which leaves no room to do actual work.
Pros
Great bonus structure for salaried people
Cons
Given that we are surrounded by fun and onnovative tech companies, Sephora hardly offers any perks. Everyone talks about work-life balance but nobody actually does it.
Creative work environment
Senior Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Wonderful place to learn about makeup, retail and management skills.
Good starting salary with options to grow within the company.
Pros
Free Gratis
Cons
Short lunch breaks
alright
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 20, 2016
the best thing about working here is the relationships you create with your client based on the products you both love and enjoy. Sharing your knowledge is a plus! I LOVE my job its my hobby!

however management unfortunately you are not able to get around because well they hired you. If you enjoy being an artist and helping people from the bottom of your heart the treatment you receive from management should not be a bother.

It is a great place to work at if you are a teen, not looking for something long term.
All management is the same.. they do not care about your voice. They will talk to you about a problem but nothing ever gets resolved. Favoritism plays a HUGE roll at JCPENNEY. It does not matter how well your work ethic is if you do not get along with higher authority or speak your opinion they do not want to deal with you anymore. the less you say the better in their case.
Pros
education every month on products, graits, Jcpenney discount
Cons
favoritism, management, not enough hours
Inspiring
Corporate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 15, 2015
A great company with amazing people. The only opportunity would be work life balance and better compensation.The culture is strong and the CEO is amazing.
Fun Place to Work
Co Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater DCOctober 21, 2015
This is truly a fun environment to be in client service. Assisting clients to feel beautiful in any way is so rewarding. I have learned high business acumen and ways to drive sales through the people. The teams that I have been a part of are very much a family. The hours of being salaried are often trying while being a manager on duty as well as the administrative projects that need to be done. Advancement is often limited to those that are not seen often by upper management. Asking for what you need/ want is not always heard by those that can make an impact on furthering ones career. It is a positive challenge in a disruptive ever changing company.
Sisterhood
Recovery Lead (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 7, 2016
Sephora has wonderful benefits: gratis, sales bonus, and 401k matching. You get trained by brands on their new products or their top selling products. Sephora trains you on all of their departments and their techniques to prepare you for interacting with clients. Sephora creates a culture that is like a sisterhood, we build each other up with compliment cards and get to team sell without the pressure of commissions.

The downsides of Sephora is you're either fully committed or you don't get the full experience. Management is constantly either in the office or on the floor, there is no in between. This can be hard for cast members to come to management with their problems. Development is difficult, if you're all in you can be taken to the next level, if you're not then you don't get invested in.
Productive workplace always busy and fun!
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLApril 28, 2016
A typical day at work in Sephora is always keeping up with our area of brands, always making sure their intact and in product stock. Always helping a clients needs consistently. Clients before our tasking. Theres always new merchandise and new brands so theres always something new to learn about. My co-workers and i work as a team. Team work always makes everything worthwhile. The most difficult part i would say is trying to multi task with multiple clients especially when a client needs the attention as soon as possible. At the end of the day i love my job because i love what i do. I have a passion for makeup artistry for color and most importantly skincare.
Pros
15 minute breaks, Free Gratis
Cons
No healthcare insurance for part time
Well established, ever changing environment
Operations Lead/Education Lead/Skincare Lead (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 13, 2016
In my employment with Sephora, I was able to elevate my skills in several roles. I gained useful management skills as well as team building exercises that allowed me to be a strong role model for my employees.
Sephora as a whole invests a great deal in their employee development. However work life balance as a member of management was a great struggle throughout my career.
The most difficult part of the job was lack of communication between the leadership team and exempt management. With the constant change in procedures it was difficult to execute things properly with the minimal leadership meetings and lack of structure.
I learned a great deal about what I appreciate as an employee of any company, and thrive on a more structured, consistent environment.
Pros
Possible Monthly/Holiday Bonus
Cons
Difficulty achieving work life balance
Experience varies based on your location and managers
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Northern VAAugust 20, 2015
The hours are exhausting as with any retail, but the real kicker here is the pay. For a company owned by the prestigious LVMH, you would expect a decent wage. Now, there are fast food workers earning more than I do per hour. When they have a reliable, hard working employee, they take advantage of you and your willingness to work. Promises will be made and not fulfilled regarding advancement. It is very much a favorites game. I didn't want to believe this based on other reviews, but after a year, I realize it's the truth.

I had high hopes of a Sephora career, and drank the kool-aid, if you will, in our month long training before our store opened. In the end, it was stressful, chaotic, underpaid, and after a whole year, the store still does not have it's P's and Q's in order.

If I were at a flagship store (A volume), I know my experience would be much different and I would have more opportunities to advance. Unfortunately, you will not be allowed a transfer unless you move or lie, because a location won't want to give up a solid employee without a fight.
Pros
gratis, company eduction
Cons
long hours, underpaid, poor management choices
Sephora advantages
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJune 23, 2015
Sephora is a great starter job as well as a long-tern career and has many opportunities to move up in the company.

They give extensive in-house training for the position.

As a consultant you will also receive monthly gratis that is exciting and great to try new products and learn more about them.
Pros
Gratis, great fun work environment
Cons
no benefits, unset schedule every week
Creative and Innovative
Education Lead - Promoted in August 2014 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2015
Sephora is a wonderful company. As Sephora experiences it's second year with new CEO, it is obvious that the vision is changing. Management is often visibly upset with new unrealistic goals, with is eventually transferred on the the impression of the client. The artist - client relationship has been broken entirely. Despite recent what recent marketing suggest, you are encouraged to discover at Sephora, but no longer to play and try on. If you'd like a personal touch and relationship with your artist, I suggest going to a counter.
Pros
unparalleled training, artistry practice, gratis
Cons
retail hours, micromanagement, no holidays, horrible management, overly technical enviorment.
Great company to work for
Skin Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLMay 30, 2015
Good environment with fun people and music. I love helping people so giving advice and educating clients about proper skin care was very enjoyable for me. It is very difficult to get full time hours when it is not season (November-April). If you are not full time you really don't get promoted or get insurance benefits. I have been there almost a year and have not had a single raise. One really amazing benefit is that you get a ton of gratis each month to try out products in order to sell them better. The company is very sales driven and likes to make goals so you can make bonus each month. Management is always very helpful and great about adjusting schedules and giving time off when needed. They also always provide education on products so you aren't ever clueless when clients ask you a million questions. My number one complaint is that I have limited availability due to being a full-time nursing student, so they really like you to be as open and flexible as possible in order to give you hours. Other than that I truly enjoy working with different clients (and regulars) each day and helping people with their beauty needs.
Pros
lots of free full size products every month just for working there.
Cons
not enough hours, no health benefits if part time
Productive and enjoyable environment
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of approaching clients and assisting with desired products, adding on sales without pressure. I learned that not every client will be satisfied with your suggestion, it is very important to listen and to mold customers desires with your product knowledge to the best of your ability. Co-workers were very helpful, always went above and beyond to help whenever needed. Hardest part of the job was meeting extreme goals on slow days due to weather conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer reviews with my name on them thanking me for my services.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Poor store management and no development for professional growth
Sales and Management (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 2, 2015
It is unfortunate that the Sephora stores located in Memphis focus way too much on having favorites. They do not follow the company initiatives. The goal of any company should be to consistently increase brand awareness, sales and traffic by creating, communicating and delivering value to their customers. However, Sephora fails to invest in their employees which in return means that employees that are not celebrated within the company or their home store will not be team players. Which has a huge effect on how sales professionals engage with customers. Poor store leadership and their inability to develop store cast is the reason behind store failure in the Memphis area.
Pros
Gratis, part-time and full-time health benefits
Cons
Poor company culture
Great Gratis
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 13, 2016
Great Gratis and training. No growth unless you live in San Francisco. Change happens quickly from process to leadership. Talent is not recognized unless you are favored by upper management. Extremely political and they do not practice the values that they preach. The DM role is very stressful and as long as the district performs RM's pay a blind eye to people issues in stores. Some DM's never visit or support the stores that are smaller volume or remote markets. The district trainer position is a mystery, we still don't know what they do for us????? In one year we only saw her once.
Pros
Gratis and brand training
Cons
DM turn, no growth, overworked and not appreciated
Sephora the best
Cashier, Operations (Shipment, Store Updates (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410April 26, 2016
The knowledge you learn is vast, with new brand reps coming and teaching to new product constantly coming out. I began as a cashier and requested to become operations as well to get more hours and learn more about what goes on behind closed doors. The hardest part of the job is the fluctuating hours, one week I get 30 hours the next I get only 17 or even less, it is frustrating for someone who has bills and is trying to move out on their own. The best part of the job is being surrounded by people who love what you love, and constantly learning new things about new products and methods.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
hours
Productive work place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 24, 2016
A typical day at work at sephora distribution center was usually a busy one. I learned how to use a RF scanner gun to identify and locate products. I had to pick product in quantity and pack in an orderly fashion within a timely manner. some isles were hard to travel through due to all of my co- workers and their picking carts so I believe the hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with your numbers while breaking through the crowd. I really enjoyed the fast pace of the job and the idea of the goal to get your numbers at the end of the day.
Pros
They had sofas in the break room.
Cons
It was always very hot in the warehouse.
fun work place
Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2016
extremely busy lots of clients and a lot of work to distribute. i learned how to balance out everything and prioritize what needed to be done first . management was alright at times it was better than others typical retail . my coworkers were pretty good. the hardest part of my job was when my coworkers didnt do their share of work specially for walk throughs when cooperate came in . learning so much about new products and trends
Pros
the events with different brands
Cons
the slow process to move up in the company
Great atmosphere with productive and enthusiastic employees
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MD 21740February 14, 2016
Overall it was a great experience working with these ladies. The hardest part of the job was keeping the store clean with all o fthe foot traffic we would get on a daily basis but it was simple, just time consuming. Management was friendly and focused and very team oriented.
Pros
Helping the clients look and feel their best
Cons
It was only a seasonal position