SEPTA Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, 24 hrs 7 days a week
Mass Transportation Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Southeastern, PAMay 6, 2016
SEPTA is a great place to work for. I enjoy interacting with the public. Has great benefits and you can advance to other positions in this company. My goal is to drive the Broad Street Subway or the Market Frankford Line.
Productive workplace and pleasant coworkers
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PAMarch 11, 2016
My day at work was very long and sometimes stressful.
I learned to be more patient with the public, and the Management was very trying at times. My coworkers were pleasant, and we worked together as a team when being out on our bus shifts. The hardest part of the job for me was the long work shifts and short breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job was being sociable with the public and driving.
Pros
Very good job benefits with medical and dental
Cons
Very short breaks and long work hours
Worst job ever
Maintenance Custodian Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2015
I had an personal injury and was eligible to have time off. Took the time off and found out I was terminated. Big company with no communication system
Pros
Best pay ever
Cons
Not worth the hassle
I learned to operate a 57 passenger bus, before I was transferred to Marketing Research
Market Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PANovember 30, 2015
Septa was a great company to work for. As I mentioned, I started as a bus driver, which I did for 3 years. Then Marketing Research in the corporate offices. My co-workers were very supportive, we would go out together sometimes.There was no hard part of this position.The most enjoyable part was giving presentations at Senior Centers.
Pros
My colleagues
Cons
No Cons
This position allowed me to send out bids and review bid proposals.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 27, 2015
Traveling to work via train at no cost, and no traffic issues allowed me to concentrate more time for work. Within this position, I had the opportunity to spend some time with the graphic arts department for special functions for the company.
Pros
Free transportation and a great downtown location.
SEPTA is behind in the times
technical support specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 31, 2015
As with any company there's pros and cons. Septa benefits are excellent and they have some great initiatives to get employee involvement. Most people there are really nice but management needs to be retrained on how today's management functions. Management in my department doesn't speak to you about their issues they report you to various departments in SEPTA and have you blackballed or investigated.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
pay is below philadelphia average for many positions, management needs training on how to treat employees
Maintenance Custodian (Current Employee) –  philadelphiaOctober 9, 2015
My regular day would consist of cleaning the entire subway service that you were assigned or picked . I learned how to wax ,power wash , and buff floors. I AM also trained to use a walk behind machines , mix chemical cleaning solutions and drive heavy duty vehicles with power washer machines trailered to the back.
Working with the diversity of the public
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2015
work a 8 to 12 hour day on various routes. Stay very busy and the day goes by fast. Must be patient in this industry. My co-workers are funny and make the work day easy with their words of wisdom. Management is very helpful with any question i might have.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
short breaks
A Typical Day at Work
CLAIMS ADMINISTRATIVE (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaSeptember 23, 2015
Working with SEPTA was great. I was working in a corporate environment. Monday -Friday 8-4. while working there I faxes papers, conducted a computer system call infolinx and scanned medical bill into a folder the could be view by the supervisors handling the septa cases.
Mentally and Physically Exhuasting Job
Track General Helper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2015
The only thing I miss about working with SEPTA was my fellow coworkers and colleagues. Management and politics of job needs a full overhaul.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
Losing time with family, management and workers relationships
great place to work, second to none, great union
Bus/Trolley operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2015
driving passengers to and from work, being nice goes a long way. management was pretty ok, the best coworkers ever, everyone looked out for each other, there was nothing hard about this job. meeting passengers and making new friends, and seeing the looks on passengers faces when you get them to there destination, especially home from a hard days work.
Pros
making lifelong friends
Cons
was none
A great job!
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2015
Over all this was a great job. Great benefits. Union work, TWU 234 Long hours, great pay. Can be a challenge at times in the beginning.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, and security.
Cons
8 hour turn around to be back at work. you were at work, even while not getting paid, more than at home.
Rewarding
Dep. Dir. of Transportation (Current Employee) –  Upper Darby, Pa.August 18, 2015
I manage the daily activities of 23 direct report Transportation Managers. Making schedules to cover a 24/7 operation. Insure all training and equipment is available to keep Supervisors current with all qualifications of the Transportation industry.

Schedule annual recertification on all Transportation vehicles (Bus, Train & Trolleys), Accident Investigation and insuring all required compliance checks are completed for PennDot,

I work in a fast paced, high energy industry with many deadlines. I Coordinate Transportation scheduling around ongoing and upcoming construction projects.

Management allows me the freedom to make decisions regarding the effects of construction or events that may interfere with routing or scheduling and impacting our customers.

With over 30 years experience in the Transportation industry, I have worked at dispatching, controlling & street supervision, learning the industry from the inside out. I am looking to bringing my knowledge and experience to my next position in an effort to improve in the areas I have knowledge of.
Pros
benefits, salary, freedoms
Cons
long hours and on call 24/7
Great Job for pay and benefits.
Receipt Processor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 4, 2015
A typical day at work is great if you don't allow other factors such as negative mangement or co-workers influence how your day will turn out.
some what enjoyable
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2015
This job is not for everybody ,there is a lot of unfair practices,
and not a lot of leadership ,were it is very much needed ,
Septa is a good place to work
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  philadelphiaJune 12, 2015
Septa is a good place to work especially for a person that doesn't really have a social life. your life will revolve around Septa. The pay and benefits are excellent but the job could cause a lot a stress so you have to be mentally ready.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
schedule
Very good work place
Bus Transportation Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 9, 2015
I am a transportation manager. I investigate accidents, fatalities, reports, passenger complaints, and giving operators progressive discipline. I have very good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a fatality. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the public.
JOB is horrible PERIOD!
Former bus operator (Former Employee) –  at Septa's supposedly best depotMay 30, 2015
Everthing looks good on paper Pay, Benefits, but once you get in you'll see its BS. First off the training is a joke if you don't have your CDL already, the trainers are the worst, they do minimal, and that's because they themselves don't know Jack. First you go for a week of this public relations training, what waste of time when they should be skills training and if you have your CDL go into route training, I have my CDL and I sat around waiting for other two guys to get their CDL. Then after all their little tests on schedules and policys, your on to street training, then what they call Wild cat, then if you pass all that you take final exam around 43 days, which if your lucky enough to pass they put you on the street, but then they send these mentors to ride with you, supposedly to help you,they are other drivers that are really just using you as a ladder for themselves to move up, they right reports on you how your doing, which they can F with you, and they do. If you bump a curb or any little policy infraction it turns into federal case.Remember there are camaras everywhere on and off the bus.The schedules are so screwed up there's no time for a leak or lunch, you have to send control a text if you want either. Now about management, a bunch of phony slugs with chips on shoulders that dont even know what's going on. Your coworkers nasty dirty trolls who need a bath, not all but most. Lots of racial tention white and black, you give up alot of your time weekends nights and you won't see them off for years. Also have to pay for your first uniform, around 200, no dental or  more... eyes till 13 months. Driving the public is not a problem, Septas BS is and incompetence is.
I could go on but hopefully you will have some things to think about. Think about it real hard before you attempt to get hired, don't let the hourly and benefits be only thing attracting you to it. Check all their fine print and watch what you sign to. Only my opinion that it's not worth the truck load of dumb BS and stress they put on you. You'll see your time is more valuable then the song and dance they offer. Better jobs out there keep trying.
Pros
free rides
Cons
everything
Very fast pace environment
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 27, 2015
* A high energy / fast pace
* Learn to read a bus route schedule & street map
* Great management support
* Offer free computer classes
* Internship program
Pros
Being able to work independently
Cons
Not safe from the public
Great Career!
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 11, 2015
Great place to work, good benefits, respectful employees, a strong company that is constantly growing and improving, best benefits package in the country
Pros
exciting job