SEPTA Employee Reviews

Like Home
District Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2018
Best company to work for in city. Couldn't be more happy or more lucky to have been given this opportunity. The company has room for advancement plus security in current job.
customer service
Assist Passengers (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 11, 2018
provide daily transportation to a diverse population,providing professional customer service assisting passengers with directions time points schedules and fare information. Collecting fares and selling transfers for passengers to continue there commute onto a diffrent route. Ability to focus on and perform multiple task while operating a 40 foot vehicle being aware of my surroundings at all times and monitoring passengers on my vehicle.
Pros
being able to take a quick break at the end of each trip
Ok
Transportation Manager - Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAFebruary 7, 2018
Tired of it. Too many issues to name. The pay is all that’s good about it. You never have time with your family. I’m done.

Tired of working there because I have no life outside of septa.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lousy hours
excellent group of people
Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2018
excellent company to work for, over twenty years and it was a pleasure to work all those years, I worked for CCT Paratransit and it was a experience I would never forget
Pros
friendly staff
Nice place to work towards pension if I started 30 years ago
Service Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2018
Not a Permanent position.
Not personally demanding or fulfilling enough.
Long term management in place by attrition.
People very nice, some motivated others along for the ride not unlike
anywhere else.
Fast pace
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2018
Fast pace workplace. Septa hours are very demanding, the job it self is very demanding the pay checks are worth it ! No matter what department you are working for your hours will be long and it may take a toll on your sleep schedule. The longer you are there the better your hours get
It could be very productive if you had the right skills
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2018
It was a good place to work financially. I operated the bus and train for 8-10 hours a day. We had different events and small luncheons for people who retired or for Christmas. Most people are very competive. and there was a pool table in the trainpersons breakroom. Thats where most of the competitions took place. I met a lot of friends who I am still in touch with, even though I am retired.
Pros
no free lunches. Coffe and dounuts at Christmas
Cons
when the trains go down you basically have no breaks depending how long your day was.
Excellent
Septa Transit Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Southeastern, PAJanuary 18, 2018
Working for Septa as a police Officer is very important because people feel safe when they see us and is very rewarding to be able to help people in need in our train or bus system to help them get to their destination safe and sound.I have learned that people have different issues that they deal with an as an officer. I"m able to learn from them and try to help them resolve their issues sometimes we can't do much due to our policies and procedures but we try our best to resolved any problem we encounter to the best of our ability. I think the hardest part of the job is to always be in control because people react different ways on different situations and the most enjoyable part is to to able to make a difference in peoples lives and family.
benefits
Cons
management
Good place for advancement
Bus Driver/Blocker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2018
drove passengers on various bus routes in the Philadelphia area. Learned how to navigate through the city on a commercial vehicle. Management was ok, I wouldnt want there job though. Work environment was friendly got along well with my co-workes. Inclement weather would probably be the most challenging part of the job. I beneifts and vacation were awesome
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Driving in inclement weather ie, snow and ice storms
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2018
It was a good place to work financially . The benifits are great. The hours are crazy but it's truly a career not a job. I would never tell anyone not to work for Septa.
productive workplace
Accounts Payable Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 2, 2018
Research prepares and process vendor invoices for payment, enter invoice data into personal computer program for payment check generation. Responds to vendor invoice questions via telephone, mail or in person.
Interacts with personnel in various departments regarding invoice approvals and/or status of purchase order spending for current fiscal year.
Pros
employment
Cons
nothing
Great advancement
Diesel and Automobile Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 1, 2018
Great job to work. Have great benefits for you and family. Job hours are flexible. Pay is every week. Septa provides a credit union to join. Job advancement is available.
Septa Bus Operator
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2017
If you have a passion driving.
This is a good place to be.
It's South Eastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.
If you possess a CDL B with passenger and airbrakes endorsements ready to drive and be a responsible safe operator this company is the equation type pay rate base upon CDL B possession.
It's fair rates per year will compensate the time that will be required of duties.
Attendence and time rules must be obeyed .
Monitoring for all safety has became high tech.
Interaction with public if a operator focuses on the task at hand will not be a problem will require multi tasking.
It's one of the best beneficial companies in the Philadelphia area .

Starting at 16hr
Max out 4 years.30hr

65,000yl.
Pros
mandatory overtime good family environment
Cons
The beginning will be tough on your scheduling it's not hard work but can take a mental toll
Septa offered me opportunity and compensation unavailable in most places
Bus/Trolley Operator, SEPTA (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2017
I come to work early and promptly. Check in with dispatch get assignment. Do safety check of vehicle assigned. Out for day. Day usually busy and can be stressfull in transportation due traffic and amount vehicles competing. Giving good customer service is Key, but sometimes challenging. Little time for relief and family check ins. You get use to it. Your co workers are usually friendly but focused on their times and routes. Always getting done for day and getting paid weekly is big plus. Supervisors are always out checking up. Sometimes looking for infractions instead of teaching/correcting./
Fun
Rail Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 24, 2017
Great pay benefits and hours cool coworkers stability local easy to get to. You have to have a lot of patience. Hardest part of the job is dealing with different attitudes of customers
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
Not free for family
Productive place to work, extremely challenging
Director Rail Transportation Operations (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PANovember 14, 2017
Happy to report that I retired after 34 years. During my career I was challenged with multiple issues to fix and was granted the flexibility to do so.
Directors are racist
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2017
It’s a cool job but most of management is racist, they let whites get away with stuff blacks or any other race don’t . They say you can move forward with your education but like I said they don’t want blacks having certain positions in that company . I got black balled several times.
Pros
Money, career advancement to a certain Extent
Cons
Racist and favoritism
life at Septa
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAOctober 11, 2017
Septa offers endless opportunities for advancement. Benefits, and Pay are Great! if you are looking for a part time job, Septa is not for you. However, if you love to drive, and are looking for a career. Septa is right up your alley!
great career
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2017
the hardest part of the job was maintaining a good work schedule. your schedule varies. its a great paying job with great benefit. but you will need good family support if you have kids and you need to be aware that you wont be attending a lot of family events in the first couple of years.
Not what I thought, it’s just a job nothing special.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2017
This job is a thankless one. After 1year of not knowing what to expect schedule wise and about 5 years of working rotating schedules picked by seniority you then become a regular operator. New regular operators usually get of the barrel runs that either don’t pay much or get off extremely late because the better runs are taken by senior operators. Almost everything about this job is seniority based even the some of the managerial positions. This job promotes from within but does go outside of the organization from time to time. Managers are trigger happy and will write you up for just about anything if they don’t like you. They aren’t fair and pick and choose who they want to go after and who they want to let slide. The rules and contract lingo are outdated. There are many levels of management and that creates confusion, kind of like organized chaos. You have one person telling you to do one thing another telling you to do something totally different and not communicating to each other. Coworkers are generally nice and helpful. It’s best to stay out of the mainstream and just go and make your money because it can become high schoolish real quick with the gossip and he say she say. The pay is good for the industry I make about 70-80k per year based on what run I pick. The benefits are competitive. Dealing with the public can be stressful you just have to have thick skin and stay positive. This organization has become more customer oriented in the last few years so they cater to the public . You don’t really have a lunch break so be prepared to be hungry from time to time. They  more... have bathrooms at the end of the line on most routes or along the route. If you come to work on time, follow the rules and stay out of accidents you will have a secure job. It’s not what I thought it’s just a check and it’s kind of stressful. You can transfer to other departments and I will be doing that, transferring is seniority based also.  less
Pros
Pay, vacation, benefits, and pension.
Cons
Overzealous Management, no lunchtime, stressing, long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SEPTA. Our community is ready to answer.