Sequenom Employee Reviews

Predictable work and encouraging staff
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCAugust 4, 2015
I loved working for this company. The benefits and compensation were awesome. Would go back tomorrow if I could. Only left because of schedule issues
Be weary of the Accessioning Lab...
Specimen Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 31, 2015
Sequenom, as a company, does great work. Small company doing wonderful work in prenatal and genetic testing. However..the accessioning lab is not so great. Management is horrible and inept. Very unorganized and employee moral is low. VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE! In the first few weeks of my employment, 5 people quit. As far as the work, it was not difficult. It's mostly data entry, so having lab experience is not necessary. I don't know what the other departments are like at the RTP location, but I would caution those of you who apply for the SPT position. My opinion: don't do it!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Great Company with many perks and benefits
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids MIJune 17, 2015
Very flexible work environment.
I learned a lot about laboratory compliance and credentialing ancillary facility/organizations with Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial Payors
Management team is excellent
Coworkers great
I cannot think of anything that I could deem "hard" about the job, I looked forward to working and never minded coming into the office
I enjoyed everything about the job
Pros
Free lunches, soft drinks, breakfast, snacks
Cons
No cons
A work oriented place and very subjective.
Material Handler II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2015
Has a great CLIA lab work process, good work place to work for, I've learned allot about time management. The management team are too objective to picking on internal personnel on a micro managing circumstances. I had great co-workers there when I was working there. The hardest thing of part of the job is that I was appointed to do someone else job other than my own. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I over came the logistics of the job after the guy who left the company and that I had to take over his place.
Pros
Very creative company has a great outlook forward on company long term objectives.
Cons
Management concentrates too much on things does not base on your objective
Start up company
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  MorrisvilleDecember 4, 2013
I had high hopes for this company as I left another full time job for this position thinking that a start up comapany would offer room for advancement and a more personable culture however, that is not what happened. My co-workers were wonderful, I enjoyed the effort that everyone put in to make the day go by smoothly. I was stuck doing a high repetitive job and my success was at the hands of a misquided and clique like management team. I really tried to do my best for this company but they do not appreciate the talent they have there and instead to get ahead, you need to be best friends with your superiors. The lab workers were always blamed for things going wrong and there is no incentive to excel. I would highly suggest you take your skill set elsewhere.
Pros
New facility, free lunches
Cons
poor management, long hours with no breaks
Good place to work for
CLS II Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2013
Overall, Good company to work for, although the benefits aren't much, but insurance is okay. It has relax environment to be in, and the location is NICE.
Easy living, but risky
CLS (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2013
If you want to have easier working conditions, this company is definitely for you. This is my first molecular job and it was very impressive to see cutting-edge technology, compared to where I came from (LabCorp, INC.). Unfortunately, it is run by management that does not know how to do the test. This accounts for lots of confusion and mishandled progression. There seems to be a lot of meetings without real solutions, and a lot of wasted approved overtime. It was so bad when I first came here, that the norm was to work 6-7 days a week. Things have mellowed out a bit now. There was a recent lay-off, which didn't affect Laboratory Employees too much, but I feel that this may not be the last of it. There are waaaay too many supervisors, and too many CLS's employed by this company. I can easily see more people being let go. So consider this as you apply.
Pros
Young employees, new technology
Cons
Inexperienced managers, lack of leadership
Not a Good First Impression
CLS applicant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2013
I applied to a CLS position. I received an email requesting a telephone screening interview with an HR representative almost immediately.
My contact with this HR rep was extremely challenging as she was not knowledgeable and was very defensive. Most of my contact was spend "walking on eggshells" so as not to offend her but she seemed to be offended by everything. It was very disturbing. I was left with the impression that this is a very poorly managed company to allow this person to screen technical staff and provide a "first impression" to potential employees.
Pros
quick response to application
Cons
Very poor impression of company
Sr. Director, Diagnostics Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2013
Sequenom designs, develops, manufactures and markets innovative technology, instrumentation and tests that target and serve discovery and clinical research, and clinical molecular diagnostics markets. Applications include translational research, oncology, agricultural genomics and in vitro diagnostics for prenatal and retinal disorders.
Having some growing pains
Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2013
Sequenom seemed much more open and flexible when I was first hired. As the company has expanded from just under 200 to just under 600 employees things have gotten a bit more corporate and some of the old culture of Friday happy hours where you could sit and chat about projects in a relaxed atmosphere has gone away.

I still enjoy working here, I'd recommend it to anyone looking, but it's definitely not a small company environment any more :)
Fun, Innovative, Science Driven
Business Development Manager-RetnaGene (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2013
I love working for this company selling and education ophthalmologists about a novel genetic test. Love the people I work with, they are hardworking, smart, funny, and dedicated.
Pros
New technology
summary
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2013
low vacation accrual. management mostly male.
overall a good place to work.
Good place for R&D...SweatSHOP for CLIA
CLS (Former Employee) –  San diegoFebruary 14, 2013
Sequenom is a good place for R&D if you are scientist. Specially great are the TGIFs...they cut back on those now.

However, if you are a CLS CAUTION and stay away from it. It was cited numerous times by CLIA and dont know why they are still open. You are much better off with working in Quest/Labcorp.

Their management sucks and still under training. Not a good place for a CLS
Pros
tgif
Cons
unexperienced management
Decent Work Environment
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2013
Operate like a start up even though they are a well established company with more than 15+ years in the genetic analysis and research market. Good people and is expanding. Management could do more to promote development and more innovations.
Innovative Company with a great future
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2012
Nice company to work for with lots of future potential. The company is on the cutting edge of molecular diagnostics.
Very ethical and productive enivironment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego CAMarch 13, 2012
It was a wonderful, truly a great organization. Good managers and team building! Very ethical and productive enivironment

2.9