Sequenom

Sequenom Employer Reviews

Good place to work for
CLS II Lead (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2013
Overall, Good company to work for, although the benefits aren't much, but insurance is okay. It has relax environment to be in, and the location is NICE.
Easy living, but risky
CLS (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2013
Pros: young employees, new technology
Cons: inexperienced managers, lack of leadership
If you want to have easier working conditions, this company is definitely for you. This is my first molecular job and it was very impressive to see cutting-edge technology, compared to where I came from (LabCorp, INC.). Unfortunately, it is run by management that does not know how to do the test. This accounts for lots of confusion and mishandled progression. – more... There seems to be a lot of meetings without real solutions, and a lot of wasted approved overtime. It was so bad when I first came here, that the norm was to work 6-7 days a week. Things have mellowed out a bit now. There was a recent lay-off, which didn't affect Laboratory Employees too much, but I feel that this may not be the last of it. There are waaaay too many supervisors, and too many CLS's employed by this company. I can easily see more people being let go. So consider this as you apply. – less
Not a Good First Impression
CLS applicant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2013
Pros: quick response to application
Cons: very poor impression of company
I applied to a CLS position. I received an email requesting a telephone screening interview with an HR representative almost immediately.
My contact with this HR rep was extremely challenging as she was not knowledgeable and was very defensive. Most of my contact was spend "walking on eggshells" so as not to offend her but she seemed to be offended – more... by everything. It was very disturbing. I was left with the impression that this is a very poorly managed company to allow this person to screen technical staff and provide a "first impression" to potential employees. – less
Sr. Director, Diagnostics Operations (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2013
Sequenom designs, develops, manufactures and markets innovative technology, instrumentation and tests that target and serve discovery and clinical research, and clinical molecular diagnostics markets. Applications include translational research, oncology, agricultural genomics and in vitro diagnostics for prenatal and retinal disorders.
Having some growing pains
Scientist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2013
Sequenom seemed much more open and flexible when I was first hired. As the company has expanded from just under 200 to just under 600 employees things have gotten a bit more corporate and some of the old culture of Friday happy hours where you could sit and chat about projects in a relaxed atmosphere has gone away.

I still enjoy working here, I'd recommend – more... it to anyone looking, but it's definitely not a small company environment any more :) – less
Fun, Innovative, Science Driven
Business Development Manager-RetnaGene (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2013
Pros: new technology
I love working for this company selling and education ophthalmologists about a novel genetic test. Love the people I work with, they are hardworking, smart, funny, and dedicated.
summary
Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 1, 2013
low vacation accrual. management mostly male.
overall a good place to work.

decentperson – June 15, 2013

Not a good place to work. Management does not listen to lower level employees. Management is not fair and shows no regard for employees who show their dedication to the company. You only matter to the company if you are a senior employee-and all the senior employees have been there for awhile.

Good place for R&D...SweatSHOP for CLIA
CLS (Former Employee), San diegoFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: tgif
Cons: unexperienced management
Sequenom is a good place for R&D if you are scientist. Specially great are the TGIFs...they cut back on those now.

However, if you are a CLS CAUTION and stay away from it. It was cited numerous times by CLIA and dont know why they are still open. You are much better off with working in Quest/Labcorp.

Their management sucks and still under training. – more... Not a good place for a CLS – less
Decent Work Environment
Research Associate I (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2013
Operate like a start up even though they are a well established company with more than 15+ years in the genetic analysis and research market. Good people and is expanding. Management could do more to promote development and more innovations.
Innovative Company with a great future
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 26, 2012
Nice company to work for with lots of future potential. The company is on the cutting edge of molecular diagnostics.
Very ethical and productive enivironment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego CAMarch 13, 2012
It was a wonderful, truly a great organization. Good managers and team building! Very ethical and productive enivironment