SERCO Employee Reviews in United States

Very challenging and rewarding work
Technical Trainer/Course Developer (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 14, 2016
With the constant changes to the process, this job changes A LOT. If you like different jobs and tasks to complete, this would be a perfect place to work!
Supervisors are good to you
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Clintwood, VAMarch 10, 2016
Good place to work, great people to be around Supervisors helpful. I would have stayed there if I had not had a better opportunity
Average employer
Weather Observer/Meteorological Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2016
A basic bottom liner, this company offers little positive beyond reasonable pay for the job. Their corporate management is detached from management at the local level and take a hear no evil, see no evil approach to their sites.
Pros
Adequate pay
Cons
Detached and uncaring
Worst place to work
Traffic Control officer (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAMarch 9, 2016
This is the worst company to work for
They have you working sometimes 20 hour a month that's only if you can make the event that's happened those days this job is best fit for someone in school
Prefessional Organization
Air Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  Mather, CAMarch 4, 2016
Serco is a very good company with very professional employees. While working in the Air traffic Control / Transportation side for over 13 years, I had great experiences dealing with flying community, tenants, and the airport. Staff at the Personal Management Office were very supportive for many years. Great Orginazational Culture.
Pros
Benefits and culture - A professional environment
Cons
Staffing issues: both in ATC facilities and Management office, at times minimal support
Company only cares about production not it's Consumers
General Clerk III-ESW (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 3, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE! You may think you may have been offered one of the best jobs...not the case. They hire as quick as they fire. Supervisors and DSM's are snooty and highly unprofessional. Constantly changing their policies to best fit their agenda. No consistency in any work instruction or QRG.They generally have you working for maybe 6 months and then comes the slow time. Absolutely DREADFUL! You will be bored out of your mind.
Pros
Benfits; Health Insurance & 401K
Cons
Everything else
Not Bad
Task Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ArkansasMarch 3, 2016
Not a bad job. Easy money. I was able to advance in my job quickly. Training is paid. Wouldn't want to work here long term though.
Communism right here in the US
GCII (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMarch 3, 2016
Income never increases. Supervisors don't know the job so can't help you & you're not allowed to ask the training department. Each supervisor has their own rules- so no uniform structure. They are only worried about you being in your seat so they can get paid by the federal government just as a school does for attendance. You are not allowed to have your cell phone, any paper or anything to write with. They say that's for security but I know people who ACTUALLY WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT and have their cell phones, pens and paper at their work stations. If you don't trust your employees, you shouldn't have hired them. You can have certain snacks at your cubical but like 1 'deputy' says "no popcorn", others say it's ok. Very confusing for employees. There is just recently a smoking area that is so far away you'll not want to use it because you'll be late for back from break and get wrote up-so smoke in your car WAY out there on the parking lot=unsafe. Speaking of unsafe, the guards there are mostly old men and wouldn't stop anyone from coming inside. Most supervisors want you to ask to go to the bathroom (like a child). That place is all about controlling employees, not training them or helping them advance. They act like communist.
Cons
Poor training, NO raises, strict ever changing rules
A lot of sitting
Gener Clerk Data Processing (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOFebruary 29, 2016
We sat for at least 7 hours a night. Very hard for me to do. I like being mobile.
Data entry. Helping people get the application process complete for the Affordable care act.
Co-workers where great. We would try to make the best of second shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the consumer get health insurance. Being able to walk them through the process was a great feeling.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Not Enough Training
could be a great place to work
Gc2 (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKFebruary 28, 2016
Current employee, I have been blessed to have some great management personnel. But there is alot of micro management going on...and we are told that completing courses in the business online career school you would advance...not true I have been stuck in the same position. And I have so much to offer...and you are treated like children here..and not to mention the attendance policy is not a great one...
Pros
helping others
Cons
attendance policy, some management, advancement opportunities
Horrible place to work with policies changes and managers that do not know what they are doing.
Do not want to say. worked with everyone (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOFebruary 26, 2016
I was at a level where I engaged with all levels of management and you could not find a worse organization with poorer management. Most managers do not know what their workers are doing and therefore can not help with the never ending questions on how to perform your job. Also managers do not try to learn the job. When I first started all we did was check in the morning if the system worked and then played games for the first six months. They finally started getting work but you could be busy one month and then the next have nothing to do and hard to stay awake. The General Clerk II do the same job or more than General Clerk III but get paid $2.50 less. And they quit promoting people and only hire for General Clerk II. They also hired about 800 people for second shift and many of those people are not qualified. If a position opens they take substandard people from second shift who moved from first shift to second shift to get a promotion. Then these people get doctors notes stating that they have problems working those hours but knew they didn't want to work those hours when they took that position. The reason I did not take a managers position on second shift is because I was honest with myself and knew I could not work those hours. If I would have known that all I needed to go back to first shift was a doctors note I would have taken the position. The majority of deputy directors that work there are incompetent and have no idea about how to perform the work that is done there. The place really seems like Social Service. Many of the people are not qualified to work there and  more... they are so desperate they hire anyone that can sit in a chair for 40 hours. Serco just wants warm bodies in the seats so they can justify their contract amount. The place is definitely not about production or saving money. I have literally dealt with employees that pooped their pants and reek of shi#t. Everyone that works there cant stand their job but only stay for the pay and benefits. When I first started working there my hours were 8 to 4:30 then they switched it to 7 to 3:30 then to 6 to 2:30. Many moms that had kids could not find a daycare that opened before six and therefore had to quit because Serco would not work with these people. And only provided a weeks notice before they were required to work second shift. They don't care about changing the hours and adopted the policy that if a employee had a conflict with working hours tough sh#t. Horrible place to work and many times cried about working there cause it was so depressing and time did not move.  less
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Managers, change in hours, no room to move up
Great company to work for
Community Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAFebruary 26, 2016
The company has been a great support and has had great managers on staff. The contract business is a risky one with no security.
Pros
Decent slary
Cons
Contract work, job security
One year in Bethel
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 25, 2016
Corporate management is excellent. Local management is scary mediocre. Work environment is toxic. Air traffic controllers are naturally difficult people to work with anyway, but in Bethel, the conflict of ego is stifling. The local management is incompetent and distracted by multiple business endeavors, and the senior staff constantly works to undermine management, thus perpetually highlighting the manager's incompetence. It's a frustrating work environment.
Military...
Electronic Technician I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I loved my time in the service. The Navy was an awesome experience and I would love for my children to serve someday.

I wouldn't trade my service for anything. The experiences that I had while enlisted can never be replaced nor forgotten.
Needs a better supervisor
Meter Collection Officer I (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 14, 2016
Serco could be a great place to work but with my current supervisor he makes the job awful. When you are on his good side he gives you hours and when you are on his bad side he takes hours away from you.
Cons
short breaks
Client's are always right...
Lead Consultant (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 9, 2016
...no matter how they treat Serco employees. Management pays nominal lip service to defending their employees when client demands are unreasonable.

Work life balance is constantly stressed, however the expectation is that you will still have to work 80+ hours a week and be available 24/7 for conference calls, responding to emails and web conferences.

The bottom line is the only thing that is cared about - how much the client contract is worth to the company. As soon as you are not available to work 80+ hours a week, you will be let go, while management disavows any knowledge of why you are being forced out of the company.
interesting projects, but poor job security
Engineer I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
teamwork was stressed to work together on projects dealing with U.S. Navy base upgrades. there was uncertainty as to continuation of projects after current work was completed.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
no job security
Productive and fun
GUEST RELATIONS OFFICER/ TRAVEL AGENT/ LEADER (Former Employee) –  Campbellsville, KYFebruary 1, 2016
It was a good place to work, Many likable people, and a good place to make advancements. Unfortunately the management isn't up to par, and 99% of the people working in there are un-educated.
Pros
Atmosphere, Fun
Cons
Managment, cleanliness
Very busy work setting
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 25, 2016
As a case manager for SerCo there is not a day that goes by that your caseload does not take you up to the last hour to tackle. The team of individuals employed by SerCo are like a family, leadership is not quite all on the same page but none the less the company operates well.
Productive and helpful place
GENERAL CLERK 1 (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAJanuary 24, 2016
Serco provided us with a good pay, and good health benefits. I started of working for a sub- company that was also owned by Serco. After the sub-company left Serco took over and let us keep our old position.