Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

very emotional & busy environment
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 15, 2016
The funeral industry is one that demands my full attention 100% of the time. Each detail of every service, arrangement and phone call is vital to both the family and to me.

My co-workers and I have to be a team. When we have time off, it typically means one of our families will be depending on a different director than the one they have already built a rapport with and expects everything to go as planned. This can be the hardest part of my job -- letting someone take over for me. My expectations are perhaps much higher than the family I am turning over.

The best part of my current job is the fulfillment I get when I know I have helped a family get one step closer to healing from the loss of their loved one.
Very High monetary pressure
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2016
Very high pressure job. Unfortunately management has no desire to help their families, its all about money. My typical day at work was to take care of families who have often times lost a loved one. It was gratifying to know you have done your best for the family. My co-workers were the best, they all cared. The worst part is the pressure to make a ridiculously high quota or be let go.
Pros
taking care of families
Cons
high quota pressure
Nice co-workers but little to no raises
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 21, 2016
The company is forever changing and updating policies but it is easy to cope with if you are adaptable!

Great colleagues and work is enjoyable.

Hardest part of the job is month end close and the most enjoyable is when you work with nice families that show appreciation!
Pros
Free lunches, job security
Cons
Little to no raises, no career advancement, healthcare is costly
Predatory commissioned sales
Funeral director and embalmer (Former Employee) –  Florida & ColoradoJune 27, 2016
If you are a heartless piece of s#%t and have no problem stealing from grieving families this is the job for you! Put on your Sears sucker suit and your stupid plastic smile and get to the arrangement table and start screwing grieving families. In reality you're the one thats going to get screwed by this company when you can't make your quota because you can't screw over enough people. They will hire the next 10 smiling faces and screw them over too along with the next uninformed suckers that come to them for help with funeral or cremation needs.
If you think this is untrue check complaints against SCI facilities on Google.
Pros
If you sold used cars or appliances this jobs for you
Cons
Stupid sales screwing families over.
Favorite Jobs
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 16, 2016
I have a passion for the funeral home business. It was a fast pace job, interaction with family clients was truly a heart felt experience. Co-workers were awesome especially the funeral directors.

I enjoyed being a church secretary. Love the pastor. This wasn't the faith that I practice but it gave me insight to the Baptist faith.
Pros
Helping people who are facing some of the most difficult times in their life
Cons
Getting too emotional seeing people hurt during their life's journey.
You do it all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 14, 2016
I worked for SCI very briefly so I cannot say all that much. What I can say is this: basically you do it all - yourself. It's like having your own business within the business. You take full responsibility for your own incorporation, your own travel,marketing and all business expenses. You pay out of pocket for your own health insurance as well. The company does not reimburse for driving even though it is outside sales. It is 100% commission. I did see people in the office making money though. For me, it was just too much (you do it all just like your own business). Why not start my own business then??
I enjoyed working for this company. The work is hard, but rewarding. The pay was the best I've ever experienced.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2016
To succeed as a Family Service Counselor will require long hours, nights and weekends - but the pay was exceptional. The pay is commission driven, so the annual pay varied year by year. Nevertheless the largest pay-stubs I ever earned was from this company. The local and immediate management was exceptional.
High demads of managers and low pay
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2016
Typical day would be meeting with sales people and managing activity. This is not an organization that has any sales management development to offer its managers. Upper management is not interested in creating a culture that is conducive for a foundation for growth or success. Co-workers are great people who really want to make a good living. the hardest part of the job is dealing with working in an environment that does not support its sales leaders. it is a sales environment that is led by operations people who lack knowledge or desire to invest in their own business. they want high results with little or no investment in their markets future.

best part of the job is the job description on what you are asked to do to make a living. just don't expect anyone to help you when you need it. 2015 retention statistic 104% turnover in the sales organization. OUCH!!!
Wonderful Premise Pre-Planning for Funeral
Preplanning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33603April 12, 2016
Hard to get customers to buy, hard to find leads, not competitive in prices verse competition.
When first started travelled all over the county to try to find business, door knocking, cold calling, etc.
I learned that sales is not my specialty.
Best part is working with older citizens and listening to their life stories and trying to help them.
Pros
Worked with great peope that really wanted to help customers, management not so much.
Cons
Disorganized company
The job was great the Compnay not so much
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2016
It's a very profitable business to be in and you do make great connections with the people you work with. However, everything is not explained up front. I believe that if the recruiters and the trainers were more clear on the job itself then this company would have a much lower turn over rate.
Pros
Pay. Doing a good thing.
Cons
Lifestyle and management

Want to know more about Service Corporation International?

Ask a question
inapproriate language / Face true fact's the organization will kill you.
Funeral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
SCI is the pitts stay away you will never make it. its a clan pitt. Very unfair. The so called company is set up for lacing the pockets of those at the so called top. The company is wicked stay away if you want an early funeral for yourself than you have chosen the write company just buy your shovel and you start diggin your own grave.
Pros
You can meet some nice people in the city
Cons
Mangement are nothing but a bunch of either scared faggut's or gangster take your choice.
Great company,Superior service to all.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 30, 2016
SCI (Dignity Memorial) is a great place to work, that is if you truly want to serve families in the most desperate of times. Great effort, Great rewards.
Pros
Helping families through the most difficult time in their life.
Worst Company I Ever Worked For
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COApril 4, 2016
Long, long hours with poor compensation. Very disorganized and little training provided. Management changed often-except for an office manager who seemed to "rule the roost", and should have been the first one to be booted out. Compensation was fine if you were willing to starve and go months without paying your bills. Constant push to sell the most expensive products. Said customer service was most important, but internal service for staff was always lacking. Partial to a select few who did not abide by rules everyone else had to follow. Ridiculous place to work. Go wait tables-you will be much better off.
Pros
401k
Cons
NO BREAKS! FEW DAYS OFF! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!
great place to help families in need,
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 4, 2016
learned a lot that made me want to go to school to become a funeral director. great feeling being able to help a family when they need it most.
Pros
great feeling of accomplishment and graditude helping a family in their time of need.
Cons
work hours, being on call 24/7
Great place to work, but the Market Manager doesn't kwow how to operate the outfit or take care of the employees
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 11, 2016
SCI in San Antonio, Sunset Memorial Park and Funeral Home was a great place to work. Great people in administration, funeral directors and counselors.
Great company.
Business Manager / Director Corporate Development (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 30, 2016
Great company with very dedicated long-term employees. Management focuses on teamwork and enabling everyone to perform their best. The company invests in the development of their team members.
Depends what location you're at.
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2016
Corporate culture and the cemetery funeral industry does not always blend well. It can more easily with stand-alone funeral homes, but with newly acquired cemeteries, they are not well managed.
Sets the tempo for the industry
Manager, Central Care Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 31, 2016
There are a great number of dedicated, highly competent individuals who work for this company. Because of its size, they really do set the tempo for the entire industry.
Unhealthy work environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYMarch 23, 2016
Management is just money hungry and can care less about employees .The Higher ups are worried about bonuses and making sure checks are being deposited daily this is there main concern. They do not really care about employees they hire and fire on the go. Very negative work environment
Pros
Salary
Cons
short lunch break and everything else .
Cliqish work environment
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2016
Very stressful and cliqish work environment. Poor training and high work expectations. No room for errors even on entry level. Poor communication between HR Director and staff. Lost of office politics and favoritism.

2.7