Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Revolving door policy
Licensed Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
The culture and the management ruin everything SCI offers its employees. This is a big corporation and if you can get past the cult like management and the numerous amount of people who do nothing then you will be fine here. Be careful as to what you are sold in the job that is offered and what you really get. People are transferred and job titles and duties change without notice. This also goes for schedules and compensation.
Excellent Workplace
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 16, 2017
Company is fair and advancement opportunities are excellent. Great Benefits and many options for both sales and operations. Great culture, winning attitude, and company does the right thing for its families.
Good environment to learn and grow
Tax Intern/ Tax Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2016
Open door policy
Employees are valued for their opinion
Flexible in working hours
Plenty of room to grow in terms of long term career
Good package of remuneration as a public company (health insurance, 401k, bonus)
Fair performance evaluation and timely feedback
Pros
Good benefits and job security. A Fortune 500 public company
Cons
Not as much bonus as other companies due to the nature of this industry
High demads of managers and low pay
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2016
Typical day would be meeting with sales people and managing activity. This is not an organization that has any sales management development to offer its managers. Upper management is not interested in creating a culture that is conducive for a foundation for growth or success. Co-workers are great people who really want to make a good living. the hardest part of the job is dealing with working in an environment that does not support its sales leaders. it is a sales environment that is led by operations people who lack knowledge or desire to invest in their own business. they want high results with little or no investment in their markets future.

best part of the job is the job description on what you are asked to do to make a living. just don't expect anyone to help you when you need it. 2015 retention statistic 104% turnover in the sales organization. OUCH!!!
Productive!!
Treasury Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2016
Employers is a very employee-friendly company that provides a great work life balance and flexible work hours. Culture is very conservative and status quo can be strong.
Paid Well-Not happy
Project Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77019January 29, 2017
Company pays well, however not a great environment to work in. Management does not listen to the employees. Job security is not the greatest.
Nice co-workers but little to no raises
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 21, 2016
The company is forever changing and updating policies but it is easy to cope with if you are adaptable!

Great colleagues and work is enjoyable.

Hardest part of the job is month end close and the most enjoyable is when you work with nice families that show appreciation!
Pros
Free lunches, job security
Cons
Little to no raises, no career advancement, healthcare is costly
Removal Transporter (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAOctober 1, 2016
Removing and transporting the deceased to and from place of death to the care center/mortuary/coroners. I learned lots of new things and found myself being more comfortable talking to management, driving larger vehicles and speaking to families. My coworkers were always good people for the most part. My supervisor was by far the best one I have ever had as far as being approachable. The hardest part of the job was remembering certain rules and laws that came with the job as well as some procedures. Another hard thing was dealing with some coworkers in which management did nothing about. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide some closure to families in the final moments with a loved one.
Worst Company I Ever Worked For
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COApril 4, 2016
Long, long hours with poor compensation. Very disorganized and little training provided. Management changed often-except for an office manager who seemed to "rule the roost", and should have been the first one to be booted out. Compensation was fine if you were willing to starve and go months without paying your bills. Constant push to sell the most expensive products. Said customer service was most important, but internal service for staff was always lacking. Partial to a select few who did not abide by rules everyone else had to follow. Ridiculous place to work. Go wait tables-you will be much better off.
Pros
401k
Cons
NO BREAKS! FEW DAYS OFF! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!
I enjoyed working for this company. The work is hard, but rewarding. The pay was the best I've ever experienced.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2016
To succeed as a Family Service Counselor will require long hours, nights and weekends - but the pay was exceptional. The pay is commission driven, so the annual pay varied year by year. Nevertheless the largest pay-stubs I ever earned was from this company. The local and immediate management was exceptional.
all about the money
general duty (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FLNovember 13, 2016
Worked for SCI for seven years doing removals and working services. Management is all about themselves and bonuses and company trips. They screw totally some families whike high profile deaths get freebies thrown at them making manager a hero with corporate cash. Let's not start on the cremation prac tices.
Pros
leaving
Cons
too many
Over 20 years of experience
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  KentuckyOctober 4, 2016
Everything about this company is a sham. Management, upper management , middle management is all about the numbers and how much you can sell. Houston does not care about anyone that works for the and the job they do for you. You are nothing but a number to them. They push and push you till you can't Handel anymore. If you are in sales, your monthly target is so high you make minimum wage if that.
Overall good place to work
admin (Former Employee) –  clearwater, flJuly 25, 2016
Overall good place to work for. Clearwater location is my favorite. Good management, great coworkers. Chances for advancement are few.
Funeral industry is rewarding
Funeral Director Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 19, 2017
Working in the funeral industry is surprisingly rewarding and even enjoyable. Meeting with families and helping them during the most difficult time in their lives is an experience that I am so glad that I was able to participate in. The work itself was very difficult at times,as one must handle dead bodies but I enjoyed making our "customer" look their very best and helping families with the final details.
Pros
helping grieving families is a rewarding experience. Organized workplace
Cons
hours can vary tremendously.
Very High monetary pressure
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2016
Very high pressure job. Unfortunately management has no desire to help their families, its all about money. My typical day at work was to take care of families who have often times lost a loved one. It was gratifying to know you have done your best for the family. My co-workers were the best, they all cared. The worst part is the pressure to make a ridiculously high quota or be let go.
Pros
taking care of families
Cons
high quota pressure
Wonderful Premise Pre-Planning for Funeral
Preplanning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33603April 12, 2016
Hard to get customers to buy, hard to find leads, not competitive in prices verse competition.
When first started travelled all over the county to try to find business, door knocking, cold calling, etc.
I learned that sales is not my specialty.
Best part is working with older citizens and listening to their life stories and trying to help them.
Pros
Worked with great peope that really wanted to help customers, management not so much.
Cons
Disorganized company
Great
Funeral Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 28, 2016
Great Management to a great company to work for. I have learned a lot of skills from this company. I like the flexible scheduling.
Tons of training
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 13, 2017
You learn a lot in training the first month. Then it becomes the same training weekly and takes up a majority of your time. Little time left for actual work. Time to prospect becomes limited and the pay plan is confusing to say the least. There are some great individuals that work here. They are tied up with tasks to the point that their help is minimal when needed.
Pros
Receive your insurance license
Cons
Hours, Pay
very emotional & busy environment
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 15, 2016
The funeral industry is one that demands my full attention 100% of the time. Each detail of every service, arrangement and phone call is vital to both the family and to me.

My co-workers and I have to be a team. When we have time off, it typically means one of our families will be depending on a different director than the one they have already built a rapport with and expects everything to go as planned. This can be the hardest part of my job -- letting someone take over for me. My expectations are perhaps much higher than the family I am turning over.

The best part of my current job is the fulfillment I get when I know I have helped a family get one step closer to healing from the loss of their loved one.
would not recommend
Dispatcher and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMarch 23, 2016
would not recommend due extremely stressful environment with unstable management, work day hours are not guaranteed, high turn over rate, no benefits, no room for advancement, and hostile work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7