Service Corporation International Employee Reviews in United States

Worst Company I Ever Worked For
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COApril 4, 2016
Long, long hours with poor compensation. Very disorganized and little training provided. Management changed often-except for an office manager who seemed to "rule the roost", and should have been the first one to be booted out. Compensation was fine if you were willing to starve and go months without paying your bills. Constant push to sell the most expensive products. Said customer service was most important, but internal service for staff was always lacking. Partial to a select few who did not abide by rules everyone else had to follow. Ridiculous place to work. Go wait tables-you will be much better off.
Pros
401k
Cons
NO BREAKS! FEW DAYS OFF! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!
It's not the same everywhere!
FD (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 17, 2016
SCI is a great company. Although it is a National company each state has its own rules and regulations making roles although very similar, different depending on the position. Yes, you may work a lot but that's also the nature of the business. Yes, there may be a shortage of staff in some places but that's also because they want to make sure they hire the best of the best and some states are restricted due to licensing and a shortage of qualified applicants.

There are great benefits and opportunities working here. There's opportunity for growth, transferability, and recognition both personally and financially.

I've been here 5 years and I've had no regrets and hope/plan to be here many more.

Although you may have a lower base salary (not necessarily) there are many opportunities for bonuses, incentives, and OT.

Find out for yourself don't just take the review of a bitter former employee.
Unhealthy work environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYMarch 23, 2016
Management is just money hungry and can care less about employees .The Higher ups are worried about bonuses and making sure checks are being deposited daily this is there main concern. They do not really care about employees they hire and fire on the go. Very negative work environment
Pros
Salary
Cons
short lunch break and everything else .
There is no growth opportunity and very hostile environment
Transitional Duty (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2016
I started as part- time and stayed as part-time even after the 90 day probation period. There are no benefits for part timers. The new management has no intentions of making anyone full time unless maybe you are a funeral director or the general office manager. Management is horrible; there is a lot of favoritism and discrimination in the company. They seem to hire more friends than more qualified individuals. They have no respect for their hard working employees. The place can become very hostile; coworkers and managers are very mean to each other, including families. Many families go in there very upset and try and put blame on anyone they come in contact with and will try and get you fired. There is no set schedule and they are always cutting hours. The manager only cares about his/her friends that are employed at the location, no matter how rude they are with you. Also, there are several smokers who constantly take smoke breaks leaving you to answers the phones all by yourself and families coming in at the same time. Work becomes delayed and they are very disorganized. Everyone is about their own gain and no team work.
Pros
experience
Cons
Poor management, mean coworkers and some mean families
Run from this company
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKDecember 14, 2015
Biggest mistake I have ever made in my career! I had a GM that had no business being in management. I had no training from her, all the training I received came from the funeral director that had been with the company for several years. If an idea was not her idea, then it was a bad idea. I felt as if I were back in high school, if you were in the click; all was alright. Lots of back-stabbing by a very insecure, ineffective manager.
Benefits
Cons
Too much emphasis on sales, no regard for families.
would not recommend
Dispatcher and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMarch 23, 2016
would not recommend due extremely stressful environment with unstable management, work day hours are not guaranteed, high turn over rate, no benefits, no room for advancement, and hostile work environment
Beat you up
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
Not a good place. Management expects too much as far as sales go and make you extra hours with no pay. They have call night twice a week where you are on the clock but not paid since everything is all commission. Not good.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Very disappointed.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Loved the idea of helping families in their time of need, but this ended up being a money driven, greedy industry with no management direction and ridiculous turn over.
Pros
Assist bereaved
Cons
Compensation, long work hours, unattainable sales goals
Miserable -Houston seems only decent Market
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  South FloridaAugust 24, 2015
Horrible Management. Forget all you learned in school; you are a licensed salesperson. Sales, sales, sales, take up rates, pre-need upgrades, package and catering sales. This job has nothing to do with helping grieving families. I am not against sales, heck that makes a business. This place is ONLY about sales. You are treated poorly and constantly degraded as a person. You are made to feel bad for taking scheduled days off. Holidays and vacation are use it or lose it and are seniority based. Sometimes it seemed would have been better to have called in sick. Salary was good with your commissions. Unfortunately this makes you into exactly the type of funeral director you cringe to come into contact with. Luckily I never cared about my paycheck size yet but I can see how others trying to just get by can be corrupted. In 20 plus years of funeral service this company was the worst.
Pros
Salary is OK with commissions.
Cons
Work environment, mean management, broken promises
Team Environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2015
The most enjoyable thing about working here, is that my I feel like i am apart of a family amongst all of my co-workers. After that, the benefits are great and the base pay rate is great especially for a part time job for a college student.
Pros
Family environment, benefits
You won't Retire from this Company
Funeral Director/Arranger (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2016
The hours of the day could be long, past 10 to 12 hours or more to complete the work. Short lunch breaks usually. In my location no overtime allowed only comp time and was hard to make up. Co-workers were friendly, but mostly only did their own tasks. The Staff in most locations has been cut back to keep the "bottom line". So there was some "severe multi tasking" needed by the Director. This was becoming the norm from years gone by.
SCI process by growing is to acquire more companies and locations and in doing so eliminate some competition. But there is internal competition, within the company locally. There are many markets under the "Giant Umbrella" to strategize. Prices are raised across the board and in the Main Market, prices are so out of reach, without the company funeral benefit, even most employees couldn't afford to use their service.
The Company likes to play "games". They have lots of resources, for ex; so they will call the location to "mystery shop", it's scripted to make all locations answer Pricing Calls the same way basically. It looks like there was concern for the consumer, but it was to get more money in the door. This was done by their Communications department and you were critique by individuals with no actual experience in the Funeral Business, even commenting on how your voice sounded sincere or not.
There's Sr. management at the Corporate level, Middle management which oversees a certain Market area and Location management. So lot's of Bosses.
Middle management, usually not there for very long, will come up with different things or games.
  more... Market criteria such as Package Sales, Collections, Customer Service, Catering take up, etc. Not a bad tool, but it was used to critique you in front of your peers.
There is continued education that is always available, mostly mandatory and brain washing for better sales and how great they are.
No Respect shown for long term or older employees, Funeral Directors with many years of good experience.

You have to walk a VERY FINE and THIN LINE while working here, if not, they will Fire you. With no citations or probations. And since they are Huge Conglomerate, you can't get another job in the Company.
As you look on any or all Job Sites, you will see they (SCI) have a lot of openings because of the way they treat people, not the size of the company.
Pros
Many locations across the State and Country, Major network in Big Cities
Cons
Many locations, Poor Middle Management
Sales driven funeral company
Community & Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 4, 2015
Great compensation and the ability to help people plan for the inevitable. Strong leadership with great opportunity for advancement.
You do it all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 14, 2016
I worked for SCI very briefly so I cannot say all that much. What I can say is this: basically you do it all - yourself. It's like having your own business within the business. You take full responsibility for your own incorporation, your own travel,marketing and all business expenses. You pay out of pocket for your own health insurance as well. The company does not reimburse for driving even though it is outside sales. It is 100% commission. I did see people in the office making money though. For me, it was just too much (you do it all just like your own business). Why not start my own business then??
Not an easy position in the slightest. However if you work hard you can make some serious money.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2015
You will spend most of your day's at the office. It's rare to have a completely off day, between clients and work you will always be busy.

Compensation and benefits are not bad. It's not explained very well when you first are hired (maybe just my location) however once you start making some sales you will notice rather large paychecks. Not a hard sell, just a sensitive one.

Job security : none

Management : none currently

Culture is great, you have real product to sell and it's not something to be ashamed of. You get to help people in need and have amazing coworkers.
Pros
cool coworkers.
Cons
training and explanation of job
They do not hire permanent
Payroll Tax (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2015
They hire lots of contract workers. They are cheap and do not want to pay benefits. Very few permanent positions. The turnover is very high. It is a very profitable business but the money stays with the big wigs. It does not trickle down.
Great work experience. Go get your experience then find something better.
Pros
The pay is okay
Cons
No career advancement, high turnover, contract work no FT employment
Experience
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 18, 2015
a great place to work and gain knowledge about the industry. However I was offered an opportunity at a advanced management level with increased benefits and pay.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
none really
Great team to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2015
I loved the people I worked with - management was hit or miss but mostly I loved it. Overall it was a good experience and people genuinely care about each other.

Workload can be overwhelming - the decent pay is great but you need to be ready to shoulder a big workload. Friendly people to assist, the team mentality is big here and you will need it to succeed.

Politics are big, make sure to watch your back. But the relationships you build are important and will ensure your continued success.
Pros
Good Pay, yearly reviews, support advancement and continuing education
Cons
Politics are THICK. Heavy workload.
Great Place To Work
Recruiting Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2015
This is a great place to work. I left SCI when I was approached by another company that was offering a really good opportunity, but had I never been approached, I would have never left. Leadership is awesome here and they believe in making the workplace a best-in-class environment. All employees of SCI are dedicated to making a family's worst day one of their best days. The people I worked with were like family and I miss them every day. If you are looking for a great place to work, this is where you should start looking first.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation, Leadership
Favorite Jobs
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 16, 2016
I have a passion for the funeral home business. It was a fast pace job, interaction with family clients was truly a heart felt experience. Co-workers were awesome especially the funeral directors.

I enjoyed being a church secretary. Love the pastor. This wasn't the faith that I practice but it gave me insight to the Baptist faith.
Pros
Helping people who are facing some of the most difficult times in their life
Cons
Getting too emotional seeing people hurt during their life's journey.
inapproriate language / Face true fact's the organization will kill you.
Funeral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
SCI is the pitts stay away you will never make it. its a clan pitt. Very unfair. The so called company is set up for lacing the pockets of those at the so called top. The company is wicked stay away if you want an early funeral for yourself than you have chosen the write company just buy your shovel and you start diggin your own grave.
Pros
You can meet some nice people in the city
Cons
Mangement are nothing but a bunch of either scared faggut's or gangster take your choice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.