Service Corporation International Employee Reviews in United States

Overall good place to work
admin (Former Employee) –  clearwater, flJuly 25, 2016
Overall good place to work for. Clearwater location is my favorite. Good management, great coworkers. Chances for advancement are few.
temp job
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2016
Very high turn-over environment. Except for management and a few people here and there, the rest of the staff is contract. Interesting choice for a payroll department
Pros
temp
Cons
high turnover
A Company that cares.
Pre-Planning Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 17, 2016
A Company that cares. Clients needs are the primary focus for at need families. Co workers are genuine. Hardest part is dealing with grief that families go through loosing a loved one.
Great workplace
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 5, 2016
SCI was a great company to work, I learned few things, the co-workers were friendly in a positive environment. The job position was under pressure.
Pros
Commisions
Cons
short breaks
great place to help families in need,
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 4, 2016
learned a lot that made me want to go to school to become a funeral director. great feeling being able to help a family when they need it most.
Pros
great feeling of accomplishment and graditude helping a family in their time of need.
Cons
work hours, being on call 24/7
Disorganized, favoritism, boys' club mentality
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 2, 2016
I was hired from outside the industry. Started selling cars in 1998 and worked my way up to being a general sales manager and then general manager in the retail automotive industry.

I was hired to be a sales manager in a Florida location that was horribly underperforming and hasn't since SCI purchased from another company.

I was eager to leave the retail auto industry after relocating to Florida and realizing that the car biz was extremely aggressive and the turn over was high based on how people were treated.

I accepted the position and was lied to about my onboarding process and was incorrectly compensated for over 6 weeks. Signed an agreement for a ramp up that eventually got paid but was on sales person's salary.

I was told I would receive training from a month and half to prepare me to take over the location. Two days before the end of the month and two weeks into training of which consisted of following around another sales manager and watching how he manipulated upper management by telling them what they wanted to hear but doing what he wanted.

I was then handed over to the general manager that was slightly insecure, control freak, that talked out of both sides of his mouth. The sales team was a combination of seven people that most were recently hired with no real training other than the online courses and on the job training. No leadership, no management just reactively doing their jobs.

After struggling for two and a half months to learn the job, I was threatened by being fired if I did not make quota. I worked everyday the next month. We all
  more... worked hard and during this time I narrowed my team from seven to three.

We sold 169% of quota. Part of what was sold was deliberately stolen in board volume bonus and commission from the sales person. But I was determined to make this location profitable. Even knowing I was the third sales manager within less than a year. Also second or third general manager.

Finalizing the month and hitting those numbers I avoided a termination and was awarded by having to leave the location for almost a month sales manager school in Texas. I was removed from the location and was reassured that the general manager and his assistant (whom got themselves into some other trouble at another location and was being quietly hidden until things passed over).

Well they were both almost immediately pulled from the location during my absence to work on things at another location while I was away by their market director. This did not help my area of responsibility and at that time no one worked. I had four sales people and they were rarely even there unless they were on rotation. There was no accountability.

The general manager did have his sales manager from another location come in and nose around and ask very unusual questions. I found it peculiar but remember I was to be submerged in my sales manager school and not worry about the location because the general manager would make sure we would stay at quota.

Along with the sales manager from the other location coming by, he made some changes with staff NOT to follow certain company guidelines and this also reflected in no sales getting done.

Upon my return I find out that the location was barely at 40% of quota. I spent the next several weeks attempting to get everyone refocused and committed to our cause. Had a lot of resistance because of schedules and what the sales manager said and put into place of which made it very difficult.

Long story short, there was a hidden agenda all along of the general manager and the sales manager to both have both locations. The general manager unfortunately is misleading, inappropriate with staff and may appear to be a good employee is only pleasing himself and the boys' club.

So many families are upset, lied to, and have suffered due to these self serving, and self fulfilling people. This also includes the people that work there and have suffered with poor leadership from the market manager on down.

It's sad and possibly just a local thing. I have let a lot of wonderful other people in SCI that really walk the walk.

Good luck!
Pros
SCI is a great organization as a whole
Cons
Do not judge a book by its cover, hidden agendas, back stabbing
Predatory commissioned sales
Funeral director and embalmer (Former Employee) –  Florida & ColoradoJune 27, 2016
If you are a heartless piece of s#%t and have no problem stealing from grieving families this is the job for you! Put on your Sears sucker suit and your stupid plastic smile and get to the arrangement table and start screwing grieving families. In reality you're the one thats going to get screwed by this company when you can't make your quota because you can't screw over enough people. They will hire the next 10 smiling faces and screw them over too along with the next uninformed suckers that come to them for help with funeral or cremation needs.
If you think this is untrue check complaints against SCI facilities on Google.
Pros
If you sold used cars or appliances this jobs for you
Cons
Stupid sales screwing families over.
Favorite Jobs
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 16, 2016
I have a passion for the funeral home business. It was a fast pace job, interaction with family clients was truly a heart felt experience. Co-workers were awesome especially the funeral directors.

I enjoyed being a church secretary. Love the pastor. This wasn't the faith that I practice but it gave me insight to the Baptist faith.
Pros
Helping people who are facing some of the most difficult times in their life
Cons
Getting too emotional seeing people hurt during their life's journey.
You do it all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 14, 2016
I worked for SCI very briefly so I cannot say all that much. What I can say is this: basically you do it all - yourself. It's like having your own business within the business. You take full responsibility for your own incorporation, your own travel,marketing and all business expenses. You pay out of pocket for your own health insurance as well. The company does not reimburse for driving even though it is outside sales. It is 100% commission. I did see people in the office making money though. For me, it was just too much (you do it all just like your own business). Why not start my own business then??
Cliqish work environment
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2016
Very stressful and cliqish work environment. Poor training and high work expectations. No room for errors even on entry level. Poor communication between HR Director and staff. Lost of office politics and favoritism.
I enjoyed working for this company. The work is hard, but rewarding. The pay was the best I've ever experienced.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2016
To succeed as a Family Service Counselor will require long hours, nights and weekends - but the pay was exceptional. The pay is commission driven, so the annual pay varied year by year. Nevertheless the largest pay-stubs I ever earned was from this company. The local and immediate management was exceptional.
Dreadful business, but great people!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2016
SCI is comprised of some of the nicest, most compassionate people I have ever met. While this is beneficial to our client families, these individuals do not necessarily make the best business people.
Hard to balance
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 3, 2016
Be prepared to have no life.
If you have a family, this probably isn't for you.
Not as simple as interviews and training make it sound. High turn-around because of this.
The job was great the Compnay not so much
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2016
It's a very profitable business to be in and you do make great connections with the people you work with. However, everything is not explained up front. I believe that if the recruiters and the trainers were more clear on the job itself then this company would have a much lower turn over rate.
Pros
Pay. Doing a good thing.
Cons
Lifestyle and management
Wonderful Premise Pre-Planning for Funeral
Preplanning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33603April 12, 2016
Hard to get customers to buy, hard to find leads, not competitive in prices verse competition.
When first started travelled all over the county to try to find business, door knocking, cold calling, etc.
I learned that sales is not my specialty.
Best part is working with older citizens and listening to their life stories and trying to help them.
Pros
Worked with great peope that really wanted to help customers, management not so much.
Cons
Disorganized company
inapproriate language / Face true fact's the organization will kill you.
Funeral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
SCI is the pitts stay away you will never make it. its a clan pitt. Very unfair. The so called company is set up for lacing the pockets of those at the so called top. The company is wicked stay away if you want an early funeral for yourself than you have chosen the write company just buy your shovel and you start diggin your own grave.
Pros
You can meet some nice people in the city
Cons
Mangement are nothing but a bunch of either scared faggut's or gangster take your choice.
Worst Company I Ever Worked For
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COApril 4, 2016
Long, long hours with poor compensation. Very disorganized and little training provided. Management changed often-except for an office manager who seemed to "rule the roost", and should have been the first one to be booted out. Compensation was fine if you were willing to starve and go months without paying your bills. Constant push to sell the most expensive products. Said customer service was most important, but internal service for staff was always lacking. Partial to a select few who did not abide by rules everyone else had to follow. Ridiculous place to work. Go wait tables-you will be much better off.
Pros
401k
Cons
NO BREAKS! FEW DAYS OFF! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!
would not recommend
Dispatcher and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMarch 23, 2016
would not recommend due extremely stressful environment with unstable management, work day hours are not guaranteed, high turn over rate, no benefits, no room for advancement, and hostile work environment
Unhealthy work environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYMarch 23, 2016
Management is just money hungry and can care less about employees .The Higher ups are worried about bonuses and making sure checks are being deposited daily this is there main concern. They do not really care about employees they hire and fire on the go. Very negative work environment
Pros
Salary
Cons
short lunch break and everything else .
Beat you up
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
Not a good place. Management expects too much as far as sales go and make you extra hours with no pay. They have call night twice a week where you are on the clock but not paid since everything is all commission. Not good.
Pros
Benefits are OK

2.9