Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Revolving door policy
Licensed Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
The culture and the management ruin everything SCI offers its employees. This is a big corporation and if you can get past the cult like management and the numerous amount of people who do nothing then you will be fine here. Be careful as to what you are sold in the job that is offered and what you really get. People are transferred and job titles and duties change without notice. This also goes for schedules and compensation.
Good environment to learn and grow
Tax Intern/ Tax Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2016
Open door policy
Employees are valued for their opinion
Flexible in working hours
Plenty of room to grow in terms of long term career
Good package of remuneration as a public company (health insurance, 401k, bonus)
Fair performance evaluation and timely feedback
Pros
Good benefits and job security. A Fortune 500 public company
Cons
Not as much bonus as other companies due to the nature of this industry
Nice co-workers but little to no raises
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 21, 2016
The company is forever changing and updating policies but it is easy to cope with if you are adaptable!

Great colleagues and work is enjoyable.

Hardest part of the job is month end close and the most enjoyable is when you work with nice families that show appreciation!
Pros
Free lunches, job security
Cons
Little to no raises, no career advancement, healthcare is costly
Worst Company I Ever Worked For
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COApril 4, 2016
Long, long hours with poor compensation. Very disorganized and little training provided. Management changed often-except for an office manager who seemed to "rule the roost", and should have been the first one to be booted out. Compensation was fine if you were willing to starve and go months without paying your bills. Constant push to sell the most expensive products. Said customer service was most important, but internal service for staff was always lacking. Partial to a select few who did not abide by rules everyone else had to follow. Ridiculous place to work. Go wait tables-you will be much better off.
Pros
401k
Cons
NO BREAKS! FEW DAYS OFF! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!
It's not the same everywhere!
FD (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 17, 2016
SCI is a great company. Although it is a National company each state has its own rules and regulations making roles although very similar, different depending on the position. Yes, you may work a lot but that's also the nature of the business. Yes, there may be a shortage of staff in some places but that's also because they want to make sure they hire the best of the best and some states are restricted due to licensing and a shortage of qualified applicants.

There are great benefits and opportunities working here. There's opportunity for growth, transferability, and recognition both personally and financially.

I've been here 5 years and I've had no regrets and hope/plan to be here many more.

Although you may have a lower base salary (not necessarily) there are many opportunities for bonuses, incentives, and OT.

Find out for yourself don't just take the review of a bitter former employee.
Unhealthy work environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYMarch 23, 2016
Management is just money hungry and can care less about employees .The Higher ups are worried about bonuses and making sure checks are being deposited daily this is there main concern. They do not really care about employees they hire and fire on the go. Very negative work environment
Pros
Salary
Cons
short lunch break and everything else .
High demads of managers and low pay
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2016
Typical day would be meeting with sales people and managing activity. This is not an organization that has any sales management development to offer its managers. Upper management is not interested in creating a culture that is conducive for a foundation for growth or success. Co-workers are great people who really want to make a good living. the hardest part of the job is dealing with working in an environment that does not support its sales leaders. it is a sales environment that is led by operations people who lack knowledge or desire to invest in their own business. they want high results with little or no investment in their markets future.

best part of the job is the job description on what you are asked to do to make a living. just don't expect anyone to help you when you need it. 2015 retention statistic 104% turnover in the sales organization. OUCH!!!
I enjoyed working for this company. The work is hard, but rewarding. The pay was the best I've ever experienced.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 26, 2016
To succeed as a Family Service Counselor will require long hours, nights and weekends - but the pay was exceptional. The pay is commission driven, so the annual pay varied year by year. Nevertheless the largest pay-stubs I ever earned was from this company. The local and immediate management was exceptional.
would not recommend
Dispatcher and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMarch 23, 2016
would not recommend due extremely stressful environment with unstable management, work day hours are not guaranteed, high turn over rate, no benefits, no room for advancement, and hostile work environment
Removal Transporter (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAOctober 1, 2016
Removing and transporting the deceased to and from place of death to the care center/mortuary/coroners. I learned lots of new things and found myself being more comfortable talking to management, driving larger vehicles and speaking to families. My coworkers were always good people for the most part. My supervisor was by far the best one I have ever had as far as being approachable. The hardest part of the job was remembering certain rules and laws that came with the job as well as some procedures. Another hard thing was dealing with some coworkers in which management did nothing about. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide some closure to families in the final moments with a loved one.
There is no growth opportunity and very hostile environment
Transitional Duty (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2016
I started as part- time and stayed as part-time even after the 90 day probation period. There are no benefits for part timers. The new management has no intentions of making anyone full time unless maybe you are a funeral director or the general office manager. Management is horrible; there is a lot of favoritism and discrimination in the company. They seem to hire more friends than more qualified individuals. They have no respect for their hard working employees. The place can become very hostile; coworkers and managers are very mean to each other, including families. Many families go in there very upset and try and put blame on anyone they come in contact with and will try and get you fired. There is no set schedule and they are always cutting hours. The manager only cares about his/her friends that are employed at the location, no matter how rude they are with you. Also, there are several smokers who constantly take smoke breaks leaving you to answers the phones all by yourself and families coming in at the same time. Work becomes delayed and they are very disorganized. Everyone is about their own gain and no team work.
Pros
experience
Cons
Poor management, mean coworkers and some mean families
Beat you up
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
Not a good place. Management expects too much as far as sales go and make you extra hours with no pay. They have call night twice a week where you are on the clock but not paid since everything is all commission. Not good.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Run from this company
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKDecember 14, 2015
Biggest mistake I have ever made in my career! I had a GM that had no business being in management. I had no training from her, all the training I received came from the funeral director that had been with the company for several years. If an idea was not her idea, then it was a bad idea. I felt as if I were back in high school, if you were in the click; all was alright. Lots of back-stabbing by a very insecure, ineffective manager.
Benefits
Cons
Too much emphasis on sales, no regard for families.
very emotional & busy environment
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 15, 2016
The funeral industry is one that demands my full attention 100% of the time. Each detail of every service, arrangement and phone call is vital to both the family and to me.

My co-workers and I have to be a team. When we have time off, it typically means one of our families will be depending on a different director than the one they have already built a rapport with and expects everything to go as planned. This can be the hardest part of my job -- letting someone take over for me. My expectations are perhaps much higher than the family I am turning over.

The best part of my current job is the fulfillment I get when I know I have helped a family get one step closer to healing from the loss of their loved one.
Over 20 years of experience
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  KentuckyOctober 4, 2016
Everything about this company is a sham. Management, upper management , middle management is all about the numbers and how much you can sell. Houston does not care about anyone that works for the and the job they do for you. You are nothing but a number to them. They push and push you till you can't Handel anymore. If you are in sales, your monthly target is so high you make minimum wage if that.
Very High monetary pressure
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2016
Very high pressure job. Unfortunately management has no desire to help their families, its all about money. My typical day at work was to take care of families who have often times lost a loved one. It was gratifying to know you have done your best for the family. My co-workers were the best, they all cared. The worst part is the pressure to make a ridiculously high quota or be let go.
Pros
taking care of families
Cons
high quota pressure
Very disappointed.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Loved the idea of helping families in their time of need, but this ended up being a money driven, greedy industry with no management direction and ridiculous turn over.
Pros
Assist bereaved
Cons
Compensation, long work hours, unattainable sales goals
all about the money
general duty (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FLNovember 13, 2016
Worked for SCI for seven years doing removals and working services. Management is all about themselves and bonuses and company trips. They screw totally some families whike high profile deaths get freebies thrown at them making manager a hero with corporate cash. Let's not start on the cremation prac tices.
Pros
leaving
Cons
too many
Predatory commissioned sales
Funeral director and embalmer (Former Employee) –  Florida & ColoradoJune 27, 2016
If you are a heartless piece of s#%t and have no problem stealing from grieving families this is the job for you! Put on your Sears sucker suit and your stupid plastic smile and get to the arrangement table and start screwing grieving families. In reality you're the one thats going to get screwed by this company when you can't make your quota because you can't screw over enough people. They will hire the next 10 smiling faces and screw them over too along with the next uninformed suckers that come to them for help with funeral or cremation needs.
If you think this is untrue check complaints against SCI facilities on Google.
Pros
If you sold used cars or appliances this jobs for you
Cons
Stupid sales screwing families over.
Great company,Superior service to all.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 30, 2016
SCI (Dignity Memorial) is a great place to work, that is if you truly want to serve families in the most desperate of times. Great effort, Great rewards.
Pros
Helping families through the most difficult time in their life.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7