Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Funeral industry is rewarding
Funeral Director Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 19, 2017
Working in the funeral industry is surprisingly rewarding and even enjoyable. Meeting with families and helping them during the most difficult time in their lives is an experience that I am so glad that I was able to participate in. The work itself was very difficult at times,as one must handle dead bodies but I enjoyed making our "customer" look their very best and helping families with the final details.
Pros
helping grieving families is a rewarding experience. Organized workplace
Cons
hours can vary tremendously.
Revolving door policy
Licensed Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
The culture and the management ruin everything SCI offers its employees. This is a big corporation and if you can get past the cult like management and the numerous amount of people who do nothing then you will be fine here. Be careful as to what you are sold in the job that is offered and what you really get. People are transferred and job titles and duties change without notice. This also goes for schedules and compensation.
Good environment to learn and grow
Tax Intern/ Tax Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2016
Open door policy
Employees are valued for their opinion
Flexible in working hours
Plenty of room to grow in terms of long term career
Good package of remuneration as a public company (health insurance, 401k, bonus)
Fair performance evaluation and timely feedback
Pros
Good benefits and job security. A Fortune 500 public company
Cons
Not as much bonus as other companies due to the nature of this industry
Tons of training
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 13, 2017
You learn a lot in training the first month. Then it becomes the same training weekly and takes up a majority of your time. Little time left for actual work. Time to prospect becomes limited and the pay plan is confusing to say the least. There are some great individuals that work here. They are tied up with tasks to the point that their help is minimal when needed.
Pros
Receive your insurance license
Cons
Hours, Pay
Worst Company I have ever worked for.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Would never recommend the Mt. View location in San Bernardino, California. The employees are mean and cliquish. One of the new girls who worked in the Admin office told me she would go home and cry every night. I had the same experience. I could not wait to get out of that place.
Pros
Cons
High turnover at that location. Indifferent employees. Funeral Director never trained me.
Removal Transporter (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CAOctober 1, 2016
Removing and transporting the deceased to and from place of death to the care center/mortuary/coroners. I learned lots of new things and found myself being more comfortable talking to management, driving larger vehicles and speaking to families. My coworkers were always good people for the most part. My supervisor was by far the best one I have ever had as far as being approachable. The hardest part of the job was remembering certain rules and laws that came with the job as well as some procedures. Another hard thing was dealing with some coworkers in which management did nothing about. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide some closure to families in the final moments with a loved one.
Over 20 years of experience
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  KentuckyOctober 4, 2016
Everything about this company is a sham. Management, upper management , middle management is all about the numbers and how much you can sell. Houston does not care about anyone that works for the and the job they do for you. You are nothing but a number to them. They push and push you till you can't Handel anymore. If you are in sales, your monthly target is so high you make minimum wage if that.
very emotional & busy environment
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 15, 2016
The funeral industry is one that demands my full attention 100% of the time. Each detail of every service, arrangement and phone call is vital to both the family and to me.

My co-workers and I have to be a team. When we have time off, it typically means one of our families will be depending on a different director than the one they have already built a rapport with and expects everything to go as planned. This can be the hardest part of my job -- letting someone take over for me. My expectations are perhaps much higher than the family I am turning over.

The best part of my current job is the fulfillment I get when I know I have helped a family get one step closer to healing from the loss of their loved one.
all about the money
general duty (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FLNovember 13, 2016
Worked for SCI for seven years doing removals and working services. Management is all about themselves and bonuses and company trips. They screw totally some families whike high profile deaths get freebies thrown at them making manager a hero with corporate cash. Let's not start on the cremation prac tices.
Pros
leaving
Cons
too many
Demanding and micro-managed
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  TXNovember 29, 2016
Sales manager was overbearing, controlling and inconsiderate. Don't expect to have a personal life if you take this job, you are basically ON CALL 24/7. If you like someone standing over your shoulder watching you work, maybe this is for you.
Pros
Decent commission percentages
Cons
Everything!
For very hard working individuals
Family Service Counselor - Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLDecember 5, 2016
Typical days at work include
-Meetings
-Calling clients
-Setting appointments
-Trying to close appointments
-Prospecting
Pros
Good commission bonuses if overcome quota by a lot
Cons
Hard to get a lunch in everyday, Overtime to be successful
Nice co-workers but little to no raises
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 21, 2016
The company is forever changing and updating policies but it is easy to cope with if you are adaptable!

Great colleagues and work is enjoyable.

Hardest part of the job is month end close and the most enjoyable is when you work with nice families that show appreciation!
Pros
Free lunches, job security
Cons
Little to no raises, no career advancement, healthcare is costly
Liked working independently
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2017
I helped with clearing out invoices on hold as an invoice analyst and maintained vendor information and aged vendor invoices for account payables clearing.
Pros
Nice work environment.
Cons
Worked alongside other long term temporary assignment workers.
Very High monetary pressure
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2016
Very high pressure job. Unfortunately management has no desire to help their families, its all about money. My typical day at work was to take care of families who have often times lost a loved one. It was gratifying to know you have done your best for the family. My co-workers were the best, they all cared. The worst part is the pressure to make a ridiculously high quota or be let go.
Pros
taking care of families
Cons
high quota pressure
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 30, 2016
The prearranged funeral business isn't for everyone. I worked with very nice people, and enjoyed meeting the families, however, I realized that this was too depressing of an environment for me.
Pros
our boss was great and very low key
Cons
dealing with death on a daily basis
Excellent Workplace
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 16, 2017
Company is fair and advancement opportunities are excellent. Great Benefits and many options for both sales and operations. Great culture, winning attitude, and company does the right thing for its families.
Predatory commissioned sales
Funeral director and embalmer (Former Employee) –  Florida & ColoradoJune 27, 2016
If you are a heartless piece of s#%t and have no problem stealing from grieving families this is the job for you! Put on your Sears sucker suit and your stupid plastic smile and get to the arrangement table and start screwing grieving families. In reality you're the one thats going to get screwed by this company when you can't make your quota because you can't screw over enough people. They will hire the next 10 smiling faces and screw them over too along with the next uninformed suckers that come to them for help with funeral or cremation needs.
If you think this is untrue check complaints against SCI facilities on Google.
Pros
If you sold used cars or appliances this jobs for you
Cons
Stupid sales screwing families over.
High demads of managers and low pay
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2016
Typical day would be meeting with sales people and managing activity. This is not an organization that has any sales management development to offer its managers. Upper management is not interested in creating a culture that is conducive for a foundation for growth or success. Co-workers are great people who really want to make a good living. the hardest part of the job is dealing with working in an environment that does not support its sales leaders. it is a sales environment that is led by operations people who lack knowledge or desire to invest in their own business. they want high results with little or no investment in their markets future.

best part of the job is the job description on what you are asked to do to make a living. just don't expect anyone to help you when you need it. 2015 retention statistic 104% turnover in the sales organization. OUCH!!!
Favorite Jobs
Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 16, 2016
I have a passion for the funeral home business. It was a fast pace job, interaction with family clients was truly a heart felt experience. Co-workers were awesome especially the funeral directors.

I enjoyed being a church secretary. Love the pastor. This wasn't the faith that I practice but it gave me insight to the Baptist faith.
Pros
Helping people who are facing some of the most difficult times in their life
Cons
Getting too emotional seeing people hurt during their life's journey.
You do it all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 14, 2016
I worked for SCI very briefly so I cannot say all that much. What I can say is this: basically you do it all - yourself. It's like having your own business within the business. You take full responsibility for your own incorporation, your own travel,marketing and all business expenses. You pay out of pocket for your own health insurance as well. The company does not reimburse for driving even though it is outside sales. It is 100% commission. I did see people in the office making money though. For me, it was just too much (you do it all just like your own business). Why not start my own business then??

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7