Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Funeral Directors/Embalmers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 12, 2017
It was a great place to work, the people wee friendly and always willing to help you learn new stuff and the right,way to do it, there was not a day that did not go bye that I didn't learn something new about my job or how to do it better.
Pros
Friendly people, great place to work, great learning experience
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
Lives By Company Values
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 9, 2017
SCI is a great company. They stay true to company values, has great progressive leadership and a lot of resources. There is a huge focus on the sales organization thus a many resources poured into the team.

SCI has had a lot of recent changes to the organization, such as sending new sales counselors to a sales school and better training.

I have been promoted from within multiple times and have had a lot great opportunities.
Pros
Very rewarding.
Cons
It is a lot of hard work. Can often be long hours.
Would not recommend
Full-Time Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAAugust 8, 2017
Very cut throat environment; days went fast due to heavy workload; expectations way too high for pay; no room to grow or advance; inconsistent management; revolving door as far as employees staying; great co-workers, misleading managers
Pros
Days went fast due to heavy workload, great co-workers
Cons
No room for advancement; managers inconsistent
N/A Review
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 7, 2017
Manager gave leads/appts to other counselors that had been inputted in sales force. Drive for quota but no assistance or guidance to get there. Purely self generated leads.
Pros
decent pay above quota
Cons
No lunch break
A workplace that feels like home.
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 7, 2017
Requires attention to detail and compassionate demeanor. This line of work is humbling and very rewarding. I enjoyed going into work every day knowing I would be joining others who share the same desire to help families heal.
Full commission job
Pre-Planning Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2017
The job is rewarding in helping people to plan their final arrangements. Very good people to work with but the home and work life balance can be difficult.
Very fast paced and rewarding work
Manager, Funeral Sales & Services & Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 1, 2017
I am able to bring my professional experience and energies which in hand benefits all parties involved. I learn everyday to treat both my internal and external customers with dignity and respect.

I learn to be humble everyday.
Pros
Paid time off, great co workers and customers
Cons
fast paced and busy times
Great Place
General Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 31, 2017
Every place in the death care industry has "stuff". Having worked at a few, the nice thing about SCI is there are policies and procedures to follow. You aren't following the whim of an owner on a given day. Management stands behind decisions. The hours are long, the pay is good and the people are fantastic. Its a tough career but I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.
Pros
policies that define decisions
Cons
can be long days
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCJuly 27, 2017
Despite the hours that can accompany this business, the environment is absolutely supportive and your coworkers feel like family. You see people on their worst days, and it can be emotional, however, it is also fulfilling to be able to assist someone in a hard time. Additionally, the benefits are nice with the position and the retirement contribution increases with tenure.
Pros
Good benefits, friendly coworkers
Cons
Sometimes late hours
Great people to work with
Community Sales Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2017
Big corporate environment. SCI expects its employees to perform three job titles and pay you for one, they do not want you to work overtime but expect that the job gets done. Everyone I worked for was great, the company structure was not so great.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, 401K
Cons
No overtime, constant change in job culture
Lack of support
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAJuly 11, 2017
Although I received adequate support from my regional sales manager my local management team did nothing to help with the team success at our locations and often seemed to purposely work against us. The properties were in utterly poor condition as was the chapels and the cemeteries were an embarrassment to show on a sales tour.
Cons
Major holidays such as Memorial Day we were forced to work the entire weekend.
Awesome company
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 5, 2017
Really enjoyed my time working with families who lost loved ones and those who wanted to pre-plan funeral arrangements. Beautiful environment, good working conditions but could use better sales management. Convenient location.
It is a job
Removal Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2017
Learning how to handle the various needs of each individual family is challenging at first, but the haunting nightmarish visions of the dead are the real challenge, learning to cope with the realization that every single person that you meet will potentially be removed by you is difficult to say the least.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Extremely Stressful
Professional fast pace setting
FAMILY SERVICE COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 30, 2017
Very professional setting with staff and management willing to help with growth for all employees. Management that gives the extra push on employees to make sure they progress, making sure they know how to make families feel welcome and at ease. My job was to make sure that I educate and inform families on about the benefits of preplanning so they can make a well informed decision.
Pros
comp plan, incentives for sales
Cons
Don't know what you want
Funeral Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 30, 2017
Stressful high pressured from upper management. Started out good but has taken all benefits from sales people. More concerned about tracking information .
Experience varies greatly depending on location.
Funeral Director/Embalmer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJune 27, 2017
There really isn't a blanket statement I can give regarding SCI. The working environment depends largely on the location manager, coworkers, the demographic of the client families and the volume of the location. I worked at seven locations and they were all different experiences. Some were pleasant, some were hectic and stressful, but they were all challenging in their own way. The one consistent item is the paperwork. Lots and lots of it and much of it redundant. I will say that I never really had a coworker that I didn't get along with.
Pros
company matched 401K contributions; vacation days; sick days; personal days
Cons
paperwork; more paperwork; mandatory community involvement; non-competitive pay
Productive atmosphere and excellent team work
Fields Operation Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, WVJune 26, 2017
I enjoy going to work every morning. My typical day consitsts of reports, record updating and assisting the office manager in necessary activities. We work together as well as learn and grow together as a team. I have a great professional relationship with every one of my co-workers, even at different locations.
Not as good as it looks
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALJune 25, 2017
Revenue is more important to the company than the employees welfare. Employees are just a number, not important and replaceable at any time. Each location manager makes their own rules to serve their purposes and whims. I would not recommend it at all.
Pros
Offers 401, health ins., sick leave, vacation, etc
Cons
Raises don't come around very often and each location makes their own rules about everything.
Excellent place to work
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 20, 2017
It was a very enjoyable experience. The employees were great and both the sales manager and general manager helped when help was needed. The maintenance crew was outstanding and very helpful.
Horrible insensitive environment
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 17, 2017
If you older this is definitely not the place for you.

Hispania Group is the worst.

Management is taught to eliminate older people
Work is taken from them and given to friends and
Family.
Pros
Cons
Too many. Discriminatory against older non Spanish speakers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8