Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Miserable -Houston seems only decent Market
Funeral Director (Former Employee), South FloridaAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Salary is OK with commissions.
Cons: Work environment, mean management, broken promises
Horrible Management. Forget all you learned in school; you are a licensed salesperson. Sales, sales, sales, take up rates, pre-need upgrades, package and catering sales. This job has nothing to do with helping grieving families. I am not against sales, heck that makes a business. This place is ONLY about sales. You are treated poorly and constantly degraded as a person. You are made to feel bad for taking scheduled days off. Holidays and vacation are use it or lose it and are seniority based. Sometimes it seemed would have been better to have called in sick. Salary was good with your commissions. Unfortunately this makes you into exactly the type of funeral director you cringe to come into contact with. Luckily I never cared about my paycheck size yet but I can see how others trying to just get by can be corrupted. In 20 plus years of funeral service this company was the worst.
Experience
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Kingsport, TNAugust 18, 2015
Pros: flexable hours
Cons: none really
a great place to work and gain knowledge about the industry. However I was offered an opportunity at a advanced management level with increased benefits and pay.
Supervisory skills as well as family service experience
CARE CENTER SUPERVISOR / FUNERAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Alhambra, CAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Learning experiences
Cons: Not a very family friendly company.
This was a position that helped me to build a strong demeanor and work with upper management. I learned many different jobs and learned to multitask extremely well. I developed skills that made me better at working under stress and working under tight time constraints. This was a very good job that made me a better employee and even better boss.
SCI
Project Coordinator- Direct Merchandise (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 8, 2015
I performed as a buyer for urns, granite and bronze. SCI owns all Dignity Funeral homes and cemeteries in the nation. I was new to this industry and learned a lot about it in the time I worked there.

Management was ever changing but strong at the same time. Learned great organizational skills from my Director.

I was able to grow my career and look at different opportunities within supply chain for the first time.
Expectations too high for lack of training, lack of leadership
Office Manager (Former Employee), DFWJune 25, 2015
Long hours that can't be sustained with the work load. Not given the man power to obtain the expected environment levels. No official training, learn as you go. Insufficient leaders at all levels!
They do not hire permanent
Payroll Tax (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 20, 2015
Pros: The pay is okay
Cons: No career advancement, high turnover, contract work no FT employment
They hire lots of contract workers. They are cheap and do not want to pay benefits. Very few permanent positions. The turnover is very high. It is a very profitable business but the money stays with the big wigs. It does not trickle down.
Great work experience. Go get your experience then find something better.
Overall good job
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAMay 12, 2015
I enjoy my position for what it is. There are a lot of freedoms but a lot of time spent away from home. I manage top line revenue and promote sales. I interact with my counselors daily and work on managing the sales process. Bottom line operational profit is the key to growing the business and that is obtained through sales and margins. I train staff on sales and behavior based methods of interaction. Plan and preform group presentations and seminars. I price and plan new developments for sales and products based on changes in our operation.
Industry was good type of work.
Office Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXMay 8, 2015
Management and some co-workers were terrible to work with. Expectation for amount of training given were way tooooo much.

June 15, 2015

Management expects too much in too short of a time and for the monies they pay.

Horrible
Office Manager (Current Employee), TNApril 20, 2015
I was brought over with a requisition. I have never worked in a worse place in my life. It is horrible
Management has not given the appropriate amount of training for all new processes.
Extreamely rewarding
PRE- PLANNING ADVISOR (Former Employee), California, CAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great commission amazing people
Cons: It wasn't recession proof
Everyday i had the opportunity to do what i loved and that was to help people. I was always being challenged and was always growing. The people around me were amazing and the management team were very hands on. The hardest part about my job was seeing everyone get let go.
95 % reviews negative and should be higher
family service counselor (Current Employee), near CharlotteApril 8, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: everything
as many others have stated, job is terrible !! Call it sales but all service Job. Avoid Cemetary job !!! Surprised there haven't been class action law suits it is so bad
Great Place To Work
Recruiting Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 7, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Compensation, Leadership
Cons: Work/Life Balance
This is a great place to work. I left SCI when I was approached by another company that was offering a really good opportunity, but had I never been approached, I would have never left. Leadership is awesome here and they believe in making the workplace a best-in-class environment. All employees of SCI are dedicated to making a family's worst day one of their best days. The people I worked with were like family and I miss them every day. If you are looking for a great place to work, this is where you should start looking first.
Very tough work enviroment, if you are new you are just thrown in the job and its either sink or swim. They offered no leads and your pay changes the
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee), Fort Worth TexasApril 6, 2015
I come in and start putting together a group therapy session so I research this for about 2 hours then, I start group sessions. I also to assesments on clients through the day for new patients.
Not an easy position in the slightest. However if you work hard you can make some serious money.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2015
Pros: cool coworkers.
Cons: training and explanation of job
You will spend most of your day's at the office. It's rare to have a completely off day, between clients and work you will always be busy.

Compensation and benefits are not bad. It's not explained very well when you first are hired (maybe just my location) however once you start making some sales you will notice rather large paychecks. Not a hard sell, just a sensitive one.

Job security : none

Management : none currently

Culture is great, you have real product to sell and it's not something to be ashamed of. You get to help people in need and have amazing coworkers.
maintenance staff underpaid and underappreciated
Grounds Superintendent (Former Employee), Canton, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: maintenance staff is a good group, good 401k
Cons: underappreciated, understaffed
Worked in maintenance for 9 years. Earlier management was fair and open for the most part. Sales is treated with dinner twice a week while maintenance gets a "good boy,get biscuit " reward for dealing with elements and poorly trained sales. I have worked for 5 gm in my time there, all with different perspective on how things are to be done. 3rd party maintenance is ok but if they don't get something done it's up to cemetery personnel to correct. Sold off most of equipment and not replaced. All ways got something in shop being repaired. Trying to get proper equipment is like pulling teeth. Went from 5 maintenance at each park to 3 at each park even though some cemeteries have 4 per park.
If you like the Bureaucracy of Corporate world and working as another number for the company!
Funeral Arranger, Funeral Assistant (Former Employee), El CaminoFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: not much
Cons: everything
If you like to be another number why not come work for SCI the B.S. of Corporate Funeral provider. All they want is to take your money, during time at need of death. They are all about numbers and money, not about your loved one death. THey might seem but trust me hig turnover and high rate of bullSh?? that happens that never gets out.

You learn somethings but you learn not from management because it use to be who you knew is who you blew to get there. I think they need to appreciate there employees better.

SCI is a Corprate Circus Ring. One Big Elephant and a bunch of lions roaring teling you to do your job for nothing.They can never make up there minds.

Ex-employee who told there boss not coming in to clean it is not my mortuary and then gets fired is a bunch of b.s. its power to that manager to find anythng to get rid of them.
Just terrible
Funeral Arranger (Former Employee), Redding, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: nice to help people get through a loss
Cons: long hours, hostile work environment, outrageous management
This company makes big money off the dead with not a care for how it financially destroys the families that have to foot the bill for a funeral. Even the "inexpensive" options can run $2600 or more.
The building management is hired from outside the industry and therefore has no clue how to manage a cemetery or a funeral home, nor do many of the employees carry appropriate state license to legally do the jobs that they are assigned. The Northern CA District manager fires people (some with years and years of service) indiscriminately for whatever he happens to make up for that day. There are massive health care violations happening all over the facility and the cemetery is unkempt and not watered in the summer.
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING AT THIS PLACE
Sales (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: co-workers are nice
Cons: no job security, unrealistic promises, unhappy culture, stress
This place is a horror to work for. It is ALL about making a buck for corporate management bonuses. Employees are as disposale as a used tissue.I work in sales and every day I hear telephone conversations of corporate management screaming and yelling at local managers. Local managers, in effort to please corporate management, threaten and belittle sales people. They are not honest about compensation - even encouraged not to bring it up while recruiting. Honestly, you will never make any serious money. You might get lucky every now and then and get a decent sale, but this is never going to be consistent. Nothing is realistic about this place. Nothing. Training is pathetic. They will lie, cheat, steal and throw an employee under a bus simply to avoid accountablity or misconduct as a company. Employee turnover, especially in sales, is crazy. Horribly understaffed. Sales people are overworked and exhausted. There is no such thing as a 40 hr week. Over 50 hrs is the norm, and the majority of that time is in non-income producing tasks. THIS IS THE TRUTH. I wish I had listened to the reviews I read and not wasted my time. Now I feel stuck. This place is not worthy of talented, professional, honest employees. Please think seriously before working here. This place will kill you.
Well run Legal Group
Litigation Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: professional mgmt team
Cons: limited career growth in legal dept. for non-attorneys.
Legal Dept Management was very good. Corporate culture was hard to gauge at times. Company was going thru some high profile legal issues when I was there that it has since resolved and moved on from them.
Work hard -7 days a week
Pre-planning Advisor (Current Employee), NevadaFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: management, teams, compensation plan
Cons: paperwork, cancelled /noshow appts. more money spent than earned
Industry