Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Overall good job
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAMay 12, 2015
I enjoy my position for what it is. There are a lot of freedoms but a lot of time spent away from home. I manage top line revenue and promote sales. I interact with my counselors daily and work on managing the sales process. Bottom line operational profit is the key to growing the business and that is obtained through sales and margins. I train staff on sales and behavior based methods of interaction. Plan and preform group presentations and seminars. I price and plan new developments for sales and products based on changes in our operation.
Industry was good type of work.
Office Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXMay 8, 2015
Management and some co-workers were terrible to work with. Expectation for amount of training given were way tooooo much.
Horrible
Office Manager (Current Employee), TNApril 20, 2015
I was brought over with a requisition. I have never worked in a worse place in my life. It is horrible
Management has not given the appropriate amount of training for all new processes.
Extreamely rewarding
PRE- PLANNING ADVISOR (Former Employee), California, CAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great commission amazing people
Cons: It wasn't recession proof
Everyday i had the opportunity to do what i loved and that was to help people. I was always being challenged and was always growing. The people around me were amazing and the management team were very hands on. The hardest part about my job was seeing everyone get let go.
95 % reviews negative and should be higher
family service counselor (Current Employee), near CharlotteApril 8, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: everything
as many others have stated, job is terrible !! Call it sales but all service Job. Avoid Cemetary job !!! Surprised there haven't been class action law suits it is so bad
Great Place To Work
Recruiting Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 7, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Compensation, Leadership
Cons: Work/Life Balance
This is a great place to work. I left SCI when I was approached by another company that was offering a really good opportunity, but had I never been approached, I would have never left. Leadership is awesome here and they believe in making the workplace a best-in-class environment. All employees of SCI are dedicated to making a family's worst day one of their best days. The people I worked with were like family and I miss them every day. If you are looking for a great place to work, this is where you should start looking first.
Very tough work enviroment, if you are new you are just thrown in the job and its either sink or swim. They offered no leads and your pay changes the
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee), Fort Worth TexasApril 6, 2015
I come in and start putting together a group therapy session so I research this for about 2 hours then, I start group sessions. I also to assesments on clients through the day for new patients.
Not an easy position in the slightest. However if you work hard you can make some serious money.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2015
Pros: cool coworkers.
Cons: training and explanation of job
You will spend most of your day's at the office. It's rare to have a completely off day, between clients and work you will always be busy.

Compensation and benefits are not bad. It's not explained very well when you first are hired (maybe just my location) however once you start making some sales you will notice rather large paychecks. Not a hard sell, just a sensitive one.

Job security : none

Management : none currently

Culture is great, you have real product to sell and it's not something to be ashamed of. You get to help people in need and have amazing coworkers.
maintenance staff underpaid and underappreciated
Grounds Superintendent (Former Employee), Canton, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: maintenance staff is a good group, good 401k
Cons: underappreciated, understaffed
Worked in maintenance for 9 years. Earlier management was fair and open for the most part. Sales is treated with dinner twice a week while maintenance gets a "good boy,get biscuit " reward for dealing with elements and poorly trained sales. I have worked for 5 gm in my time there, all with different perspective on how things are to be done. 3rd party maintenance is ok but if they don't get something done it's up to cemetery personnel to correct. Sold off most of equipment and not replaced. All ways got something in shop being repaired. Trying to get proper equipment is like pulling teeth. Went from 5 maintenance at each park to 3 at each park even though some cemeteries have 4 per park.
If you like the Bureaucracy of Corporate world and working as another number for the company!
Funeral Arranger, Funeral Assistant (Former Employee), El CaminoFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: not much
Cons: everything
If you like to be another number why not come work for SCI the B.S. of Corporate Funeral provider. All they want is to take your money, during time at need of death. They are all about numbers and money, not about your loved one death. THey might seem but trust me hig turnover and high rate of bullSh?? that happens that never gets out.

You learn somethings but you learn not from management because it use to be who you knew is who you blew to get there. I think they need to appreciate there employees better.

SCI is a Corprate Circus Ring. One Big Elephant and a bunch of lions roaring teling you to do your job for nothing.They can never make up there minds.

Ex-employee who told there boss not coming in to clean it is not my mortuary and then gets fired is a bunch of b.s. its power to that manager to find anythng to get rid of them.
Just terrible
Funeral Arranger (Former Employee), Redding, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: nice to help people get through a loss
Cons: long hours, hostile work environment, outrageous management
This company makes big money off the dead with not a care for how it financially destroys the families that have to foot the bill for a funeral. Even the "inexpensive" options can run $2600 or more.
The building management is hired from outside the industry and therefore has no clue how to manage a cemetery or a funeral home, nor do many of the employees carry appropriate state license to legally do the jobs that they are assigned. The Northern CA District manager fires people (some with years and years of service) indiscriminately for whatever he happens to make up for that day. There are massive health care violations happening all over the facility and the cemetery is unkempt and not watered in the summer.
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING AT THIS PLACE
Sales (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: co-workers are nice
Cons: no job security, unrealistic promises, unhappy culture, stress
This place is a horror to work for. It is ALL about making a buck for corporate management bonuses. Employees are as disposale as a used tissue.I work in sales and every day I hear telephone conversations of corporate management screaming and yelling at local managers. Local managers, in effort to please corporate management, threaten and belittle sales people. They are not honest about compensation - even encouraged not to bring it up while recruiting. Honestly, you will never make any serious money. You might get lucky every now and then and get a decent sale, but this is never going to be consistent. Nothing is realistic about this place. Nothing. Training is pathetic. They will lie, cheat, steal and throw an employee under a bus simply to avoid accountablity or misconduct as a company. Employee turnover, especially in sales, is crazy. Horribly understaffed. Sales people are overworked and exhausted. There is no such thing as a 40 hr week. Over 50 hrs is the norm, and the majority of that time is in non-income producing tasks. THIS IS THE TRUTH. I wish I had listened to the reviews I read and not wasted my time. Now I feel stuck. This place is not worthy of talented, professional, honest employees. Please think seriously before working here. This place will kill you.
Well run Legal Group
Litigation Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: professional mgmt team
Cons: limited career growth in legal dept. for non-attorneys.
Legal Dept Management was very good. Corporate culture was hard to gauge at times. Company was going thru some high profile legal issues when I was there that it has since resolved and moved on from them.
Work hard -7 days a week
Pre-planning Advisor (Current Employee), NevadaFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: management, teams, compensation plan
Cons: paperwork, cancelled /noshow appts. more money spent than earned
Treated like something that management found stuck to the bottom of their shoe.
Groundskeeper (Current Employee), Columbia MOJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: pay check
Cons: sci
I have been appalled how management at our location has treated the grounds techs.
It's no wonder that the facility is so unkempt looking.
Local manager takes off for football games even though we are understaffed, and the remaining few of us have to work multiple weekends in a row.
Rewarding to serve families in time of mourning. Low wages and awful (expensive) benefits
Funeral Assistant (Current Employee), OregonJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: helping famalies in their time of need
Cons: bad benifits and low pay. corporation puts money before people.
Although the job itself is rewarding in helping families in such a sad moment in their life, the corporation seems to not care for their employees wellbeing. SCI took over SEI and the cost of benefits more than doubled for the employees. They also reduced the removal fees which is a very important job in regards to relations and also at times a very messy and biohazardous position.

These changes have shown employees that what is important to SCI is their bottom line and not the people at their locations who perform this important work.
Very different company depending on what market you are in
Manager Community & Family Services/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: you get paid on time
Cons: you can't hire quality people and not pay them what they are truly worth
Having worked in a management position with SCI in both Metro market and Main street. The difference can be striking. This company consist of three selling markets. Major, Metro, Main street.
If you are in management with either Metro or Major (congrats) you are doing ok. Main street on the other hand is about as lousy as it gets. Less funding, lower pay, less, less, less with a senior management team that compared to the other groups is sub par. As a manager(sales) you are expected to maintain the same work load, hire, train, spend time with counselors and deal with families at less that half the salary of major or metro. I also am aware that the company is constantly finding ways to minimize the pay of it's counselors and other personnel. The same personnel who are the front lines to the families. Also, if you are not in the good ole boy network, forget any senior management position. Only reserved for the good ole boy team. With all this said, SCI can be a good place to help families and to create long lasting and rewarding relationships.
Interesting Industry
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: management
Finance has a lot of smart people working there. The new guys not so much.
Great Company to work for.
General Manager (Former Employee), Rockledge, FLDecember 30, 2014
This is a very good company to work for. Outside of local management and the politics that's go on.
Less than expected
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 27, 2014
The industry needs a better standard of care for client families

1 2 3 4 5

About Service Corporation International

About Service Corporation International Service Corporation International (SCI) is to death what H&R Block is to taxes. SCI, – Read more

Service Corporation International Salaries

$35,000 per year

Service Corporation International Photos

Senior awareness event at the YMCA Oregon, OHIO
Perrysburg business expo.
Trainee doing a a removal