Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Good place for sales person
Pre-Planning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newhall, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Maybe I just had bad luck, but we went through five managers in two months. I felt the company was unstable. A typical day requires being self-motivated and speaking withp otential customers. Making phone calls, knocking on doors, and finding leads.
Pros
Hard work pays off
Cons
Healthcare is contingent upon making a set minimal amount of sales every month
There is no growth opportunity and very hostile environment
Transitional Duty (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2016
I started as part- time and stayed as part-time even after the 90 day probation period. There are no benefits for part timers. The new management has no intentions of making anyone full time unless maybe you are a funeral director or the general office manager. Management is horrible; there is a lot of favoritism and discrimination in the company. They seem to hire more friends than more qualified individuals. They have no respect for their hard working employees. The place can become very hostile; coworkers and managers are very mean to each other, including families. Many families go in there very upset and try and put blame on anyone they come in contact with and will try and get you fired. There is no set schedule and they are always cutting hours. The manager only cares about his/her friends that are employed at the location, no matter how rude they are with you. Also, there are several smokers who constantly take smoke breaks leaving you to answers the phones all by yourself and families coming in at the same time. Work becomes delayed and they are very disorganized. Everyone is about their own gain and no team work.
Pros
experience
Cons
Poor management, mean coworkers and some mean families
Very disappointed.
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Loved the idea of helping families in their time of need, but this ended up being a money driven, greedy industry with no management direction and ridiculous turn over.
Pros
Assist bereaved
Cons
Compensation, long work hours, unattainable sales goals
nepatism,cronyism,cowardly racism
prep room asst,driver (Former Employee) –  tampa flJanuary 12, 2016
worked here some years back in the Tampa area,,alot of favoritism and nonsense,low pay,after being on call for 2 nights your expected at work @ 8am,sorry management,alot of buck passing...etc.
Having worked in this industry before coming to this place they have destroyed this business with greed and not caring a thing about the families.
Pros
Cons
too many to mention
You won't Retire from this Company
Funeral Director/Arranger (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2016
The hours of the day could be long, past 10 to 12 hours or more to complete the work. Short lunch breaks usually. In my location no overtime allowed only comp time and was hard to make up. Co-workers were friendly, but mostly only did their own tasks. The Staff in most locations has been cut back to keep the "bottom line". So there was some "severe multi tasking" needed by the Director. This was becoming the norm from years gone by.
SCI process by growing is to acquire more companies and locations and in doing so eliminate some competition. But there is internal competition, within the company locally. There are many markets under the "Giant Umbrella" to strategize. Prices are raised across the board and in the Main Market, prices are so out of reach, without the company funeral benefit, even most employees couldn't afford to use their service.
The Company likes to play "games". They have lots of resources, for ex; so they will call the location to "mystery shop", it's scripted to make all locations answer Pricing Calls the same way basically. It looks like there was concern for the consumer, but it was to get more money in the door. This was done by their Communications department and you were critique by individuals with no actual experience in the Funeral Business, even commenting on how your voice sounded sincere or not.
There's Sr. management at the Corporate level, Middle management which oversees a certain Market area and Location management. So lot's of Bosses.
Middle management, usually not there for very long, will come up with different things or games.
  more... Market criteria such as Package Sales, Collections, Customer Service, Catering take up, etc. Not a bad tool, but it was used to critique you in front of your peers.
There is continued education that is always available, mostly mandatory and brain washing for better sales and how great they are.
No Respect shown for long term or older employees, Funeral Directors with many years of good experience.

You have to walk a VERY FINE and THIN LINE while working here, if not, they will Fire you. With no citations or probations. And since they are Huge Conglomerate, you can't get another job in the Company.
As you look on any or all Job Sites, you will see they (SCI) have a lot of openings because of the way they treat people, not the size of the company.
Pros
Many locations across the State and Country, Major network in Big Cities
Cons
Many locations, Poor Middle Management
Contract at SCI
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2015
What I learned:
Affordable Care Act (ACA) regulations
Northeast states part time sick accruals
Union contracts regarding time off and leaves
Workday
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Just a lot of OT but worth it to get the job done
Run from this company
Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKDecember 14, 2015
Biggest mistake I have ever made in my career! I had a GM that had no business being in management. I had no training from her, all the training I received came from the funeral director that had been with the company for several years. If an idea was not her idea, then it was a bad idea. I felt as if I were back in high school, if you were in the click; all was alright. Lots of back-stabbing by a very insecure, ineffective manager.
Benefits
Cons
Too much emphasis on sales, no regard for families.
Team Environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 1, 2015
The most enjoyable thing about working here, is that my I feel like i am apart of a family amongst all of my co-workers. After that, the benefits are great and the base pay rate is great especially for a part time job for a college student.
Pros
Family environment, benefits
Awesome opportunity to grow and experience a once in a lifetime Job
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 29, 2015
What a great place to work and grow as an individual both professionally as well as in a personal way!
Great continued training after the point of hire to ensure that everyone down to the lowest level drivers stay current in laws that govern the funeral industry and that all families are taken care of in the best manner possible.
Pros
Awesome team of great happy employees
Cons
NONE
The most enjoyable place I have worked
HR System Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston TexasOctober 11, 2015
This is a nice company to work for and allows for the opportunity to grow. Enjoy the experience and day to day challenge. Work life balance depends on your area, I found that the company allowed me time to send with my family

Would rate this company a 5
Pros
people
Cons
drive time

Want to know more about Service Corporation International?

Ask a question
If I knew then, what I know now, I wouldn't have taken this job
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale,AZOctober 9, 2015
Promised great earnings potential. I was the 15th person hired to fill this position in 3 years. I was hired in August, by the end of September here is the turn-over: Branch manager- fired and replaced; Location manager-transferred and replaced; Office manager- transferred and replaced; Funeral director - fired - job open; Office Cemetery clerk - fired - job open; Family Service Counselor - quit - not making any money; and myself - Family Service Counselor - quit - not making any money.
I had problems getting my AZ Insurance license. I had some criminal history over 20 years ago. Either nobody knew what kind of hoops I'd have to jump through, or because of the high turn-over.. nobody cared. I had to get not only court documents stating the disposition, but also the details of each and any charges. After you have all your documents and you pay the nonrefundable fees, the AZ Insurance Dept has up to 30 business days to make a decision as to give you the license or not. That's up to 6 weeks of earning minimum wage because you can't sell on commission, after you've already completed an online course and passed the state exam - which I did in less than a month. I already passed the company background check and received my fingerprint card from DPS. I could not afford to stay and wait any longer.
I liked the job, and helping people a lot. I liked the sales manager and my co-workers a lot. In my short time there only 2 of 4 counselors made their numbers, the other 2 received minimum wage only. Also sales people are required to do a lot of customer service/non sales work that really
  more... a non-sales person should be doing.
Company lacks honesty and integrity, and pricing seems arbitrary and high. Lots of profit, not much sharing.
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
High turnover; Pay potential unrealistic
Sales driven funeral company
Community & Family Service Counselor (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 4, 2015
Great compensation and the ability to help people plan for the inevitable. Strong leadership with great opportunity for advancement.
Worst company to work for!
Removal staff (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 30, 2015
This job was the worst job ever. I loved the work, don't get me wrong. But the atmosphere was absolutely ridiculous. You get run nonstop. Day and night, and it doesn't matter if you got one call, or 15, you still had to work the next day. There was never any sympathy or concern with anyone's well being. Special accommodations were made for one of the director's daughters, they even made a job for her. If you worked hard and pulled your weight, you would always be called lazy, no matter what. Forget trying to have a life, you will never have the energy to do anything after working 72-96 hours a week. Say good bye to your friends, family, and significant others too.

If you want to move up within the company, good luck. They give you grief if you want to go to school, even if you schedule classes on your off nights, and let them know about it. If you want a higher position, you'd have better luck finding the end of the rainbow. They make it so difficult to excel and move up. They do not care about your ambitions, only if you are running and producing to the levels they expect.

Most of the bosses have not had to work the bottom line jobs, so not only do they not care about your health and well-being, they don't understand why you're tired, sick, or cranky from no sleep. They have no experience with what it's like to work around the clock all week.

For someone looking for experience, it's a great job. It will let you know if you can handle the sights and smells you'll encounter in this industry. But if you're looking to build a career in the funeral service
  more... industry, run far away from anything concerning SCI. You will learn how not to treat grieving families by working here. They are overall cold hearted, and at the end of the day, only care about what package was sold, and if there will be catering or not. It's sad that they regard people the way they do. Families and employees.  less
Pros
Experience, pay
Cons
Poor conditions, health risks, exhaustion
Will Ruin Your Life. Worst Company to Work For. Be Warned
Removal Staff (Former Employee) –  Orlando,FLSeptember 30, 2015
If you literally want to ruin your marriage, relationship, individual self being, etc. Then definitely come to work here. Just about everyone that works there is divorced or single or an alcoholic because its such a demanding job and they could give two craps about you if you have an emergency. They expect you to work. And be ready to work 60+ hours a week day and night and get no sleep yet still get in trouble if you're late to work. Have fun ruining your life.
Pros
money
Cons
Where do I begin?
Challenging work environment
Supervisor, Financial Reporting and General Ledger (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2015
Fast paced, challenging work environment. Never a dull moment with plenty of work to go around. Willingness to get hands dirty is a must!
Great team to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2015
I loved the people I worked with - management was hit or miss but mostly I loved it. Overall it was a good experience and people genuinely care about each other.

Workload can be overwhelming - the decent pay is great but you need to be ready to shoulder a big workload. Friendly people to assist, the team mentality is big here and you will need it to succeed.

Politics are big, make sure to watch your back. But the relationships you build are important and will ensure your continued success.
Pros
Good Pay, yearly reviews, support advancement and continuing education
Cons
Politics are THICK. Heavy workload.
Miserable -Houston seems only decent Market
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  South FloridaAugust 24, 2015
Horrible Management. Forget all you learned in school; you are a licensed salesperson. Sales, sales, sales, take up rates, pre-need upgrades, package and catering sales. This job has nothing to do with helping grieving families. I am not against sales, heck that makes a business. This place is ONLY about sales. You are treated poorly and constantly degraded as a person. You are made to feel bad for taking scheduled days off. Holidays and vacation are use it or lose it and are seniority based. Sometimes it seemed would have been better to have called in sick. Salary was good with your commissions. Unfortunately this makes you into exactly the type of funeral director you cringe to come into contact with. Luckily I never cared about my paycheck size yet but I can see how others trying to just get by can be corrupted. In 20 plus years of funeral service this company was the worst.
Pros
Salary is OK with commissions.
Cons
Work environment, mean management, broken promises
Experience
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 18, 2015
a great place to work and gain knowledge about the industry. However I was offered an opportunity at a advanced management level with increased benefits and pay.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
none really
Supervisory skills as well as family service experience
CARE CENTER SUPERVISOR / FUNERAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAJuly 30, 2015
This was a position that helped me to build a strong demeanor and work with upper management. I learned many different jobs and learned to multitask extremely well. I developed skills that made me better at working under stress and working under tight time constraints. This was a very good job that made me a better employee and even better boss.
Pros
Learning experiences
Cons
Not a very family friendly company.
SCI
Project Coordinator- Direct Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2015
I performed as a buyer for urns, granite and bronze. SCI owns all Dignity Funeral homes and cemeteries in the nation. I was new to this industry and learned a lot about it in the time I worked there.

Management was ever changing but strong at the same time. Learned great organizational skills from my Director.

I was able to grow my career and look at different opportunities within supply chain for the first time.