Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International Employer Reviews

maintenance staff underpaid and underappreciated
Grounds Superintendent (Former Employee), Canton, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: maintenance staff is a good group, good 401k
Cons: underappreciated, understaffed
Worked in maintenance for 9 years. Earlier management was fair and open for the most part. Sales is treated with dinner twice a week while maintenance gets a "good boy,get biscuit " reward for dealing with elements and poorly trained sales. I have worked for 5 gm in my time there, all with different perspective on how things are to be done. 3rd party maintenance is ok but if they don't get something done it's up to cemetery personnel to correct. Sold off most of equipment and not replaced. All ways got something in shop being repaired. Trying to get proper equipment is like pulling teeth. Went from 5 maintenance at each park to 3 at each park even though some cemeteries have 4 per park.
If you like the Bureaucracy of Corporate world and working as another number for the company!
Funeral Arranger, Funeral Assistant (Former Employee), El CaminoFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: not much
Cons: everything
If you like to be another number why not come work for SCI the B.S. of Corporate Funeral provider. All they want is to take your money, during time at need of death. They are all about numbers and money, not about your loved one death. THey might seem but trust me hig turnover and high rate of bullSh?? that happens that never gets out.

You learn somethings but you learn not from management because it use to be who you knew is who you blew to get there. I think they need to appreciate there employees better.

SCI is a Corprate Circus Ring. One Big Elephant and a bunch of lions roaring teling you to do your job for nothing.They can never make up there minds.

Ex-employee who told there boss not coming in to clean it is not my mortuary and then gets fired is a bunch of b.s. its power to that manager to find anythng to get rid of them.
Just terrible
Funeral Arranger (Former Employee), Redding, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: nice to help people get through a loss
Cons: long hours, hostile work environment, outrageous management
This company makes big money off the dead with not a care for how it financially destroys the families that have to foot the bill for a funeral. Even the "inexpensive" options can run $2600 or more.
The building management is hired from outside the industry and therefore has no clue how to manage a cemetery or a funeral home, nor do many of the employees carry appropriate state license to legally do the jobs that they are assigned. The Northern CA District manager fires people (some with years and years of service) indiscriminately for whatever he happens to make up for that day. There are massive health care violations happening all over the facility and the cemetery is unkempt and not watered in the summer.
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING AT THIS PLACE
Sales (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: co-workers are nice
Cons: no job security, unrealistic promises, unhappy culture, stress
This place is a horror to work for. It is ALL about making a buck for corporate management bonuses. Employees are as disposale as a used tissue.I work in sales and every day I hear telephone conversations of corporate management screaming and yelling at local managers. Local managers, in effort to please corporate management, threaten and belittle sales people. They are not honest about compensation - even encouraged not to bring it up while recruiting. Honestly, you will never make any serious money. You might get lucky every now and then and get a decent sale, but this is never going to be consistent. Nothing is realistic about this place. Nothing. Training is pathetic. They will lie, cheat, steal and throw an employee under a bus simply to avoid accountablity or misconduct as a company. Employee turnover, especially in sales, is crazy. Horribly understaffed. Sales people are overworked and exhausted. There is no such thing as a 40 hr week. Over 50 hrs is the norm, and the majority of that time is in non-income producing tasks. THIS IS THE TRUTH. I wish I had listened to the reviews I read and not wasted my time. Now I feel stuck. This place is not worthy of talented, professional, honest employees. Please think seriously before working here. This place will kill you.
Well run Legal Group
Litigation Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: professional mgmt team
Cons: limited career growth in legal dept. for non-attorneys.
Legal Dept Management was very good. Corporate culture was hard to gauge at times. Company was going thru some high profile legal issues when I was there that it has since resolved and moved on from them.
Work hard -7 days a week
Pre-planning Advisor (Current Employee), NevadaFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: management, teams, compensation plan
Cons: paperwork, cancelled /noshow appts. more money spent than earned
Treated like something that management found stuck to the bottom of their shoe.
Groundskeeper (Current Employee), Columbia MOJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: pay check
Cons: sci
I have been appalled how management at our location has treated the grounds techs.
It's no wonder that the facility is so unkempt looking.
Local manager takes off for football games even though we are understaffed, and the remaining few of us have to work multiple weekends in a row.
Rewarding to serve families in time of mourning. Low wages and awful (expensive) benefits
Funeral Assistant (Current Employee), OregonJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: helping famalies in their time of need
Cons: bad benifits and low pay. corporation puts money before people.
Although the job itself is rewarding in helping families in such a sad moment in their life, the corporation seems to not care for their employees wellbeing. SCI took over SEI and the cost of benefits more than doubled for the employees. They also reduced the removal fees which is a very important job in regards to relations and also at times a very messy and biohazardous position.

These changes have shown employees that what is important to SCI is their bottom line and not the people at their locations who perform this important work.
Very different company depending on what market you are in
Manager Community & Family Services/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: you get paid on time
Cons: you can't hire quality people and not pay them what they are truly worth
Having worked in a management position with SCI in both Metro market and Main street. The difference can be striking. This company consist of three selling markets. Major, Metro, Main street.
If you are in management with either Metro or Major (congrats) you are doing ok. Main street on the other hand is about as lousy as it gets. Less funding, lower pay, less, less, less with a senior management team that compared to the other groups is sub par. As a manager(sales) you are expected to maintain the same work load, hire, train, spend time with counselors and deal with families at less that half the salary of major or metro. I also am aware that the company is constantly finding ways to minimize the pay of it's counselors and other personnel. The same personnel who are the front lines to the families. Also, if you are not in the good ole boy network, forget any senior management position. Only reserved for the good ole boy team. With all this said, SCI can be a good place to help families and to create long lasting and rewarding relationships.
Interesting Industry
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: management
Finance has a lot of smart people working there. The new guys not so much.
Great Company to work for.
General Manager (Former Employee), Rockledge, FLDecember 30, 2014
This is a very good company to work for. Outside of local management and the politics that's go on.
Less than expected
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 27, 2014
The industry needs a better standard of care for client families
Nice place to work but pay is not competitive
Products Support Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great group building activities; good corporate culture in most departments
Cons: insurance premiums went up as well as my copays; pay not competitive
My manager was good at listening. Was fair in work assignments. Product lines are extremely difficult to learn as there is little standardization.
SCI= Sudden Changes Imminent
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 13, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: work life balance.
Great co-workers who strive to service families at the time of need. However, this is a 100% pure sales job with quotas on funeral sale and cemetery property. Only 2 weekends off a month and no holidays off. Typical work days are 10-12 hours. No overtime pay. Hourly wage is below minimum wage. Commissions are paid for funeral and cemetery sales.
Good commissions but a lot of non-paid responsibilities
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlOctober 12, 2014
Pros: discounts on funeral and cemetery needs
Cons: required to keep office hours and some weekends with no compensation.
This was a sales job, but you are required to do a lot of non-paid customer service duties and also non-paid operational duties for the right to get leads.
BI Technical Analyst III (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 8, 2014
Business Intelligence front end applications and directly querying database environments (Business Objects Design Studio, Tableau, Excelsius, Excel Pivot, Sql).

BOBJ/ Design Studio SDK, primarily in Design Studio and Dashboard Design and integrating content with various portals like SharePoint, SAP Portal, BOBJ Content with Universes, BW Queries.

Handle software life cycle management – promoting code to QA, Prod, perform necessary testing, documentation and scheduling BO reports in BI Launch Pad.

Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse Data Store design (Data warehouse/Data mart/Operational Data Store) environment. Dashboard Design and Development using Xcelsius Designer and Business Objects Dashboards Design

Extracting Tables, creating joins between tables all according to customer requirements on RH project, creating complex reports utilizing multiple sub reports, SQL commands, Tables and Views as the data sources as well as creating parameters, cascading dynamic prompts, formulas, and filters in Crystal Reports.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining high quality reports to support customer requirements. Crystal Reports 2011/2008/XI/10/9/8.5/8, SQL Server 2008/2005/2000, Report writing, build and unit testing, design review, interface build, client optimization/specification analysis, support, training.
• Creates reports containing information from single or multiple source systems using tools such as Crystal, Dashboards, Explorer and Web Intelligence, from low to high levels of complexity.
• Business Objects Universe Designer to create BO universes against BW as a – more... data sources and developing Business Objects reports using Universe and BICS.
• Lead SAP BI/BOBJ projects from a Systems Integration and technical perspective
• Design visually stimulating reports and dashboards using established SAP BOBJ reporting tools (Web Intelligence, Crystal Reporting, Dashboards, Analysis Olap/Office, Explorer).
• Analyze functional requirements and assist in the development of detailed BI/BOBJ data modeling and documentation – less
A great experience, and stepping stone in my career path
HR Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great pay, work was always appreciated, opportunity to grow and excel with company
Cons: the expectations of hr was never discussed with me
When I started I had no experience in HR, or as a Recruiting Coordinator. It meant so much to me that they looked past my experience and believed in my abilities to become a great employee. After being promoted from Appointment Setter to make 16 an hour at the corporate office I was beyond excited; It felt like I was finally getting what I deserved for the hard work I put in at my jobs.

Since I am a quick learner I picked up on things rather quickly, and after three weeks into my jobs the real test began. The first round of system testing was being conducted, and my trainer had to go down for testing. She just started doing the on-boarding/ background process for a company that we were acquiring. In one day I learned the systems to complete that process and was responsible to pick up her responsibilities, plus still complete my responsibilities. I managed to on-board 11 corporate new hires, and I was receiving 3-7 new hires a day to process for the other companies locations. I resolved any issues that transpired due to her not having access to her emails and phone, and I also supported 5 recruiters with their job postings requests. It was such an accomplishment to complete these tasks, and I proved myself to all my coworkers.

After, a few months into the job I received a 3 dollar, and 4% raise, because my manager and the director believed I deserved every dollar of it. That was an amazing day, because my hard work was appreciated and I was valued. Things just got better from there. I started to learn more about the systems, and take on more tasks to assist people. I was chosen – more... to be a System Matter Expert for a Command Center (call center) that was held to support all the locations in the field, as well as corporate, after we launched our new systems. I was on a team of 4 girls that got pulled out of the command center to manually process background checks, and complete the on-boarding process for 300 new hires that was trying to be processed during the "black out period". We also managed another inbox, in our outlook, during this time called the Recruiting Support inbox. We were getting all sorts or questions, and requests that we had to respond to in a timely manner. Once we completed this task, I was the only Coordinator that still managed to keep up with the inbox.

Prior to my leaving the company I created reports for open and closed requisitions for about 8 different markets. Then I added those reports to the dashboard, as a pie chart, for the Managers through Executive level employees in each of those markets. It was a huge accomplishment for myself, as well as the company.

I really enjoyed all my co workers, and my job as a Recruiting Coordinator with SCI. I learned so much! There wasn't really anything that was too difficult; it was just a lot work. However, I brought that work and responsibility onto myself by showing others I was able and willing to learn and assist. – less
lots of opportunity
Core Staff (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches, lots of overtime and plenty of training
Cons: majority start off as temp
very relaxed work environment. good training depending on the location. There is the potential to make very good money but very long hours to do so. The service they provide is necessary and very noble but also heartwrenching at times
Nice people, low pay
FAMILY SERVICE COUNSELOR (Current Employee), Tumwater, WASeptember 30, 2014
I like my supervisors and coworkers, the pay is very low. Working with grieving customers can be wearing at time, but there is job fulfillment in being able to help people.
Friendly work environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee), HoustonSeptember 30, 2014
Great company to work for.
Balance between work and personal life.

1 2 3 4 5

About Service Corporation International

About Service Corporation International Service Corporation International (SCI) is to death what H&R Block is to taxes. SCI, – Read more

Service Corporation International Photos