Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

unrealistic deadlines
Supervisor, Financial Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2017
The job was only challenging due to use of sub par accounting systems and unrealistic deadlines resulting in errors. These errors were historical and could not be corrected. Example, after filing 10k a 2mm error was found in stock option compensation and it was pushed to the following year even though it was a material error affecting equity. As a CPA I cannot agree with these types of behaviors. When upper management found out our department was blamed. In addition, we were very cash flow statement oriented which was rarely correct due to the volume of non-cash transactions erroneously classified to bury an error that would take too much time to research and present correctly.
Pros
Free dinners
Cons
16 hour work days
High Expectaions, Unfair Pay, Poor Management, inequality
Grounds Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CASeptember 19, 2017
Employees come in early for over time at their own discretion without supervision
Employee do not start working 20-30minutes after the scheduled time
Employees Leave without consideration for others in regards to the Workload
Managers do not emphasis team work
Managers may have higher expectations for certain individuals than others.
Pros
free lunches, vacation time
Cons
poor management, lack of team work
Unstable
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 17, 2017
Unfair unstable environment No job security. I would not recommend to someone looking for long term professionals. Typical corporate games. Be smart. Be safe. And watch out for yourself
Great place to begin
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2017
SCI is a wonderful industry for the most part. Based off of my experience I have gained I would not change a thing. I only wish that the compensation is where people say it should be. We provide a tremendous service to the families we serve. However, by doing so it does take a toll on the body in both professional and private life. In all cases funeral directors go above and beyond for our families and although there are areas that will benefit us in compensation (Bonuses) it isn't enough to successfully make a comfortable living single therefore the same if one were wanting to support a family on one salary.
Pay not worth getting out of bed
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 11, 2017
Sales is 100% commission but over 80% of job is administrative. Commission is very low and complicated. Not able to make a living wage at our location. Management is supportive but their hands are tied.
Pros
Great GM
Cons
Pay structure
work life balance/Pay
Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 7, 2017
You really don't have a work life balance. They expect you to bend over backwards and they pay you the bare minimum. Unless you plan on NOT having children or a life outside of work. This is not the place for you!
Pros
You meet nice people
Cons
Pay
Career advancement potential for sales area great ltraoning program
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 6, 2017
As an employee of service corporation international I enjoyed serving the families grieving families I was able to help them in their selection of cemetery property set a lot of goals and accomplished those while helping the cemetery and funeral home achieve their sales quotas and I was recognized multiple times for my achievements
Pros
Advancement ops for the ambitious one
Cons
Some managers have no pepple skills
Memorial Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2017
The best work environment I have ever been a part of! It's hard work, but sooo rewarding. It feels good memorializing a family and helping them through the loss of their loved ones.
Pros
Great workplace environment and lots of benefits provided
Cons
Very fast paced
want blood for pennies
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2017
would not even want to talk aboit it low pay bad commissions seven day work week if you want to make enougt to eat at mcdonalds must go to food pantry for family
Pros
Cons
everything
Over worked and under payed
Forman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Haywood County, NCAugust 25, 2017
Worked here 13 years and still don't make what I should a hour. Management is poor and won't give raises. Maybe 10cent at the most. This company is in it for the money and not for the employees
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Underpayed and unappreciated
good stepping stone
Administrative clerk/Account payable (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 23, 2017
I like my job but its really the people that make it hard to want to stay. My General manager is great, I love her but my office manager is very lacking. My benefits are good but we are under paid compared to others.
Funeral Directors/Embalmers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 12, 2017
It was a great place to work, the people wee friendly and always willing to help you learn new stuff and the right,way to do it, there was not a day that did not go bye that I didn't learn something new about my job or how to do it better.
Pros
Friendly people, great place to work, great learning experience
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
Lives By Company Values
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 9, 2017
SCI is a great company. They stay true to company values, has great progressive leadership and a lot of resources. There is a huge focus on the sales organization thus a many resources poured into the team.

SCI has had a lot of recent changes to the organization, such as sending new sales counselors to a sales school and better training.

I have been promoted from within multiple times and have had a lot great opportunities.
Pros
Very rewarding.
Cons
It is a lot of hard work. Can often be long hours.
Would not recommend
Full-Time Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAAugust 8, 2017
Very cut throat environment; days went fast due to heavy workload; expectations way too high for pay; no room to grow or advance; inconsistent management; revolving door as far as employees staying; great co-workers, misleading managers
Pros
Days went fast due to heavy workload, great co-workers
Cons
No room for advancement; managers inconsistent
N/A Review
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 7, 2017
Manager gave leads/appts to other counselors that had been inputted in sales force. Drive for quota but no assistance or guidance to get there. Purely self generated leads.
Pros
decent pay above quota
Cons
No lunch break
A workplace that feels like home.
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 7, 2017
Requires attention to detail and compassionate demeanor. This line of work is humbling and very rewarding. I enjoyed going into work every day knowing I would be joining others who share the same desire to help families heal.
Great company to work for.
Crematory Operator & Removal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2017
SCI is a great company to be apart of. They offer a variety of different career paths in the death care industry and will help you gain the necessary certifications to help you advance within the company
Full commission job
Pre-Planning Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2017
The job is rewarding in helping people to plan their final arrangements. Very good people to work with but the home and work life balance can be difficult.
Very fast paced and rewarding work
Manager, Funeral Sales & Services & Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 1, 2017
I am able to bring my professional experience and energies which in hand benefits all parties involved. I learn everyday to treat both my internal and external customers with dignity and respect.

I learn to be humble everyday.
Pros
Paid time off, great co workers and customers
Cons
fast paced and busy times
Great Place
General Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 31, 2017
Every place in the death care industry has "stuff". Having worked at a few, the nice thing about SCI is there are policies and procedures to follow. You aren't following the whim of an owner on a given day. Management stands behind decisions. The hours are long, the pay is good and the people are fantastic. Its a tough career but I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.
Pros
policies that define decisions
Cons
can be long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8