Service Employees International Union Employee Reviews

Great working enviorment
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I was an intern who only worked a maximum of 2 hours a day so there isnt much i did. I filed paperwork and performed Data Entry for the paperwork I filed. It was a great internship and it helped me build up the workplace confidence I have today
Pros
short hours
Cons
no breaks, no pay
Good place
OurDC Field Director/Action Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2018
Good place to work. Good cause to fight for justice on the workplace. Awesome benefits and pay even for domestic partners. LGBQT friendly. Management needs more mangerial training.
Enjoyed working there
Organizer in Training (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 16, 2017
I want to go back to work for them soon, I enjoyed the travel and being able to help my fellow worker.
I enjoyed meeting new people and knowing that I made a difference in thier lives.
Pros
Great benefits and pay, travel opportunities
Cons
Long hours and time awsy from home
Great benefits
Confidential Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2017
Excellent atmosphere to work in. Great benefits. Great co-workers. Became an expert in expense reimbursement and arranging traveling using the Concur System
Great Benefits
Property Services Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2017
Great benefits. Health, Dental and Vision provided - plan better that any other company you can find. Great bonuses and longevity pay as well. Great for either entry level or upper management.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Workplace Culture
Exciting opportunity
Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 19, 2017
It was a good work environment. Friendly coworkers. Knowledgeable management. It was really easy to find my place within the company. I would definitely consider going back.
When I worked there, we were all family.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2017
Great place to work overall! The staff at the union believe in equality in every sense of the word. We walked and fought for people that couldn't fight for themselves. This company taught me more than any job I've ever worked. I enjoyed the family atmosphere. The old saying that there's strength in number was a great saying for this company. We were one of the largest unions in the US and we didn't mind getting our hands dirty for a good cause.
Pros
Excellent pay, hours, and benefits.
good benefits but lack of advancement
Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 18, 2017
- great benefits for employees and family but lack of advancement
- great vacation/holiday/sick leave/paternity leave
- stressful at times especially on a Monday and the day after holiday
Excellent work environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2017
Employees are passionate about their duties and take the time to teach new comers everything they need to know to become further the cause of the union and represent workers.
Productive and caring working environment.
Community Organizer/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 31, 2017
A typical day at work starts off with a 2 hour team meeting; discussing individual goals as well as team goals. I spoke to as may as 300-plus constituents. It was community organizing as well as social work. I also trained 20 community activist and collaborated different age groups and races to come together as a community.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Travel, flying, and vast opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks
Great pay with a good mission but no balance
Local 99 Senior Internal Organizer/Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2017
The pay is great, excellent benefits (full employer paid for employee and family), pension and 401k benefits

Long hours, no work life balance(working many weekends and evening,disrespectful inexperienced management and is a toxic work environment

Though you have to have tough skin, if you can handle it for a few years it could give you the experience to get amazing experience for future endeavors (political, negotiations, relationship building, etc). I have seen many colleagues move on to great jobs because of the skills they acquired here.
Very Positive
Administrative Organizer (Current Employee) –  Gouverneur, NYFebruary 24, 2017
Work can be intensive but rewarding at the same time. Work days vary in length. A lot of travel required. Also a lot of travel opportunities I would not have had if not in this position.
Research Coordinator - Office Manager
Director of Research/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2017
Seiu Local 668 is a Good Company with great Healthcare Benefits, good wages and good Pensions Plans. There age many good perks working for any good local union. I would work any day for another union again.
Pros
Wages and Healhcare
Cons
long work hours
Great opportunities. great travel/pay/benefits, beware burn-out
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2017
SEIU is an incredible organization with killer benefits, high pay, tons of growth opportunities, and international travel. It's every activist's dream gig. However almost every position there requires you to serve as an organizer before you get into any higher roles.
The organizer position is intense. Turnover is around 85% within the first two years (by then organizers either promote within the Organizing Department, start their climb in other SEIU departments, or quit). Hours of an organizer are somewhere between 50 and 80 per week. Pay starts very low but if you can make it past the first year, it nearly doubles. I nearly tripling my salary in my eight years with SEIU.

This organization is divided into two sections:
Organizing and everything else; understand the role you are applying for. Positive attitudes and team players excel here.
Pros
Pay/Travel/Benefits, Autonomy, Growth Opportunities, Activism
Cons
Long hours, Internal Politics, Burnout
communicating with people to get signatures for petition
Petition Holder (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2016
full time in a temporary position.
worked as a team in the field to get signature for a petition
registered people to vote and encouraged others to vote
reached out to former clients in the client data base to offer jobs
remained professional at all times mainly while canvassing
My position with the union was very exciting.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
As a field manager with the service employees international union, I was responsible for enrolling home care aides in the union and making them aware of the benefit packages that were available to them. In that position, I enrolled over twelve hundred homecare and childcare workers.
Pros
The rewarding feeling of empowering the people i visited.
Cons
having to go into unknown territories.
productive
member resource specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 28, 2016
A fun place to work and i really like the environment.
great management. there is diversity with employees.

i recommend this place for people who like busy but fun environment.
Management often sets unrealistic expectations while not providing the proper training or leadership to achieve these goals
Labor Relations Rep (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 29, 2016
My time at SEIU Local 1000 was a very exhausting period in my life. SEIU Local 1000 has an abundance of resources at its disposal however the majority of my position was to challenge the authority of office managers in the institutions where our Union members were employed.

I understand the necessity and benefits and protections a Union provides however I personally felt what I was being asked to do was not only disruptive to the day to day operations of a business but downright unwarranted and unwanted by the union membership itself.

My opinion was not appreciated by Union leadership. In addition there was a very poor work and personal life balance. I've been an exempt employee nearly my entire life however the expectations of SEIU Local 1000 exceeded anything I've experienced in my work history.
Pros
Good coworkers who understand the plight of the staff and team members not at a management level
Cons
Management was out of touch with the realities facing their subordinates
Very nice place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 10, 2016
Loved working at SEIU, no day was ever the same, all of the employees of the Union were truly family. The hardest part of the job was crunch time or when contracts or events or rallies were due or in planning stages. I enjoyed it trememdously as well as the members we represented. Although I was the Assistant to the Vice President, I also doubled as Office Manager for the Cleveland Office, wearing dual hats was sometimes challenging, but also very rewarding.
Pros
The Fellowship
Cons
Short notice, but everything proceeded without error
Rewarding Experience
Senior Internal Organizer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2016
No day is a typical day at work. It is a wonderful experience to work with people to improve the conditions of employment. Building people up to help them realize they possess the ability to assist co-workers in building a strong unit.
Pros
The ability to empower members to be leaders.
Cons
Layoffs is the hardest part of this job.