Service Employees International Union Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding Experience
Senior Internal Organizer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2016
No day is a typical day at work. It is a wonderful experience to work with people to improve the conditions of employment. Building people up to help them realize they possess the ability to assist co-workers in building a strong unit.
Pros
The ability to empower members to be leaders.
Cons
Layoffs is the hardest part of this job.
Excellent mission
Non managerial position (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2015
SEIU is a fast paced organization, with ever changing scenarios, and tight deadlines. Coworkers are dedicated and amazing people. The members are the "magic" - seeing how our hard work affects their lives is very rewarding.
Pros
Ability to learn and develope a wide variety of skills.
Cons
Poor work-life balance, poor management.
Cohesive, collaborative environment under high pressure circumstances
Political/Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 24, 2015
I learned how to work with all sorts of strong personalities. I enjoyed managing our Member Political Organizers at the state and local levels. Our staff had a wonderful time recruiting member volunteers and training them to become activists for union activities, as well as political pursuits.
Pros
Community
Cons
Not enough hours in the day for our interests!
Strong Mission, Weak Management
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Great organization filled with wonderful and intelligent staff committed to the labor movement. Unfortunately, salaries are very low. Diversity is weak.People of color are not promoted or rewarded. Turn over is high and management does not acknowledge the reasons why. It is not because the work is exhausting. The staff is so committed that they don't complain of exhaustion. They complain of being treated poorly by management. Not being spoken to in a professional manner, not getting clear direction, nepotism in the promotion and salary increase process and worse of all - if you don't attend every public action (rally, march, strike/picket line, etc.) then you are not considered worthy. You will be told to "prove yourself".
Pros
strong mission
Cons
weak management
Social activism.
Member Services (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 14, 2015
SEIU is a challenging and rewarding organization to work for. While there is little room for advancement (it is just not that kind of "company"), there is a great amount autonomy toward the ways in which you work with your assigned membership. It is a great position for a younger social activist.
Pros
scheduling autonomy. professional support. interesting work.
Cons
long hours. long hours. your phone will ring incessantly.
A day with the client.
Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJanuary 6, 2015
My job is one on one with the client. I get to spend time with my client and get to know her better. The job allows me to become an even more patient person along with teaching myself the proper body mechanics and safety precautions to keep myself safe and healthy, as well as my client. I enjoy having conversations with my client. It allows me to understand her better and to perform tasks that will make her feel more comfortable and at ease. The job can become difficult when my client goes through mood swings and act out in verbal and physical violence. I would need to calm her down and keep her from harming herself or anybody around her.
Pros
getting to know the client, flexible hours, lively environment
Cons
stress builder.
Friendly and interactive work place
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
I was hired at SEIU to do research finding adjunct professors working for private universities. This consisted of pulling data from College websites as well as linked information and transferring it to a excel spreadsheet. Once this was done, the information needed to be sorted and categorized. Once one college was completed, I would start on the next.

I learned many useful tools in Microsoft excel when dealing with data analysis and regressions. I also learned how to use a web crawler program, that can pull large amounts of data through a website that does not offer it all in one place and have it transferred onto an excel spreadsheet.

My co workers were all very nice and professional. This company is specifically to unionize other companies, so being respectful to one another as well as understanding benefits was a high priority. If you ever needed any help any one there was always willing

The hardest part of this job was the hours on end staring at a screen regressing numbers and being able to stay focused. It was difficult to properly pace myself and stay focused for that long. However by doing this, it helped my attention to detail and motivation skills in order to complete tasks in a timely manor.
Pros
union, great benifits
Productive day at work.
Human Development Services (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILDecember 8, 2014
I go into work which is a home; house or a apartment. I assist with anything my client needs. If he or she wants to get up and move around I help them out. If the client is in a wheel chair I help them move from place to place if they are able to sit. I prepare food, clean up, give baths, assist with any animals they have.

I learn a lot from being with older people threw out my day. It could be things about school work or a class project or could be good advice.

I do not work with any one I would love to work with other people with my job. Instead my co-workers work on their own time. I work at different times from my co-workers.

I never had a hard time at my job. Even with a bad day I never take it out on my client or during any thing I am handling at the time.

I love being able to work with older people in their need of help.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
short breaks
loved this place
Union Steward (Former Employee) –  Detroit,MINovember 9, 2014
Leaned a lot about different jobs. Learned about different things dealing with computer.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
not getting to know more people
Humane but Biased
Labor Organizer - Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2014
Working for a humane reason, but taking biased political sides when dealing with the type of people and type of situations.
Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  San LeandroAugust 9, 2014
my co-workers were fun to work with
I tend to wake up earlier now
my typical day at work was getting up at 4 am and help with shipments(which means opening the boxes and take out the merchandise on the racks or on the bakers rack) and we had four house to finish the pile of boxes.
management was reliable at some point, but one manager she tend to sit in the break room all day and when she is need on the floors she is either on her phone or sitting in break room.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
some of the managers were too lazy
Review
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 24, 2014
As an organizer, one may become a lead, but that is about it. There are no benefits.
Pros
they fed us often
Cons
no benefits
A very good and fun environment to work in.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2014
The entire day consisted of taking surveys over the phone for various corporation, companies and political organization. You learn to deal with rejection and negative people in a very professional and appropiate manner. Management was very supportive and co-workers were fun to work with.
Pros
the diversity of surveys and people you took surveys with...
Cons
high volume of phone rejections
enjoyed working with the people
ACA organizer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 2, 2014
good to be back at work, liked working with all of the young people that worked there
Pros
great pay
great work atmosphere!
Canvesser/ Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2014
a typical day for me would start off with critical thinking, how we can do better than the day before.
Worked hard for the residents, but rewarding.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 20, 2014
Company set core values for the best interest of the residents.
A great diverse community
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Boston, Mass.March 10, 2014
Fellow co-workers are very dependable. A friendly work environment that understands the demands of having a family and working. This place is family friendly.
Technical Support
Director of IT (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 7, 2013
Day to day operations to support transition to Back Office Computing for three (3) sites across the state of Pennsylvania. Procured laptop equipment for field representatives & healthcare workers.
Hard work but worth it
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Various States and Boston, MASeptember 24, 2013
There was never a typical day and I was expected to work long, irregular hours which I embraced. I was in charge of many of my own projects and had to multi-task, skills that I am glad to have used successfully.
Pros
seeing people improve their conditions
Cons
sometimes the hours did get a bit too long!
SEIU Good Place to work
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 22, 2013
IT support everything from troubleshooting Mac and Windows 7, Installing Printers and Ghosting return laptops.

Replacing / upgrading memory and hard drives.

Return PC still under warranty

Training new users to enter time and use SEIU portal.
Pros
busy days always
Cons
job in salem i live in portland would like to find something closer to home.