Service Employees International Union

Service Employees International Union Employer Reviews

loved this place
Union Steward (Former Employee), Detroit,MINovember 9, 2014
Pros: meeting people
Cons: not getting to know more people
Leaned a lot about different jobs. Learned about different things dealing with computer.
Humane but Biased
Labor Organizer - Internship (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 10, 2014
Working for a humane reason, but taking biased political sides when dealing with the type of people and type of situations.
Floor Sales (Former Employee), San LeandroAugust 9, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: some of the managers were too lazy
my co-workers were fun to work with
I tend to wake up earlier now
my typical day at work was getting up at 4 am and help with shipments(which means opening the boxes and take out the merchandise on the racks or on the bakers rack) and we had four house to finish the pile of boxes.
management was reliable at some point, but one manager she tend to sit – more... in the break room all day and when she is need on the floors she is either on her phone or sitting in break room. – less
Review
Organizer (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNJuly 24, 2014
Pros: they fed us often
Cons: no benefits
As an organizer, one may become a lead, but that is about it. There are no benefits.
A very good and fun environment to work in.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 18, 2014
Pros: the diversity of surveys and people you took surveys with...
Cons: high volume of phone rejections
The entire day consisted of taking surveys over the phone for various corporation, companies and political organization. You learn to deal with rejection and negative people in a very professional and appropiate manner. Management was very supportive and co-workers were fun to work with.
enjoyed working with the people
ACA organizer (Former Employee), Salem, ORMay 2, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: long hours
good to be back at work, liked working with all of the young people that worked there
great work atmosphere!
Canvesser/ Team Lead (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 21, 2014
a typical day for me would start off with critical thinking, how we can do better than the day before.
Worked hard for the residents, but rewarding.
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 20, 2014
Company set core values for the best interest of the residents.
A great diverse community
Canvasser (Former Employee), Boston, Mass.March 10, 2014
Fellow co-workers are very dependable. A friendly work environment that understands the demands of having a family and working. This place is family friendly.
Technical Support
Director of IT (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PANovember 7, 2013
Day to day operations to support transition to Back Office Computing for three (3) sites across the state of Pennsylvania. Procured laptop equipment for field representatives & healthcare workers.
Hard work but worth it
Organizer (Former Employee), Various States and Boston, MASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: seeing people improve their conditions
Cons: sometimes the hours did get a bit too long!
There was never a typical day and I was expected to work long, irregular hours which I embraced. I was in charge of many of my own projects and had to multi-task, skills that I am glad to have used successfully.
SEIU Good Place to work
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee), Salem, ORMay 22, 2013
Pros: busy days always
Cons: job in salem i live in portland would like to find something closer to home.
IT support everything from troubleshooting Mac and Windows 7, Installing Printers and Ghosting return laptops.

Replacing / upgrading memory and hard drives.

Return PC still under warranty

Training new users to enter time and use SEIU portal.
Important work with dedicated, smart people
Public Finance and Policy Intern (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2013
Employees are very dedicated to the organization and its values. They emphasize a doing a job well and set people up for success. My manager was particularly great.
Great training organization
Organizer (Former Employee), Multiple citiesMarch 11, 2013
I travelled around the country meeting new people and conducting NLRB campaigns at hospitals and nursing homes.
Don't ask questions just do as you're told.
Organizer (Former Employee), NYFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: finally knowing
Cons: having worked with them
Those senior organizers who make upwards of 85-100k seem less concerned with getting real organizing info from those organizers who are still in the field on the front lines doing the contact work.
Whatever information about the difficulties we face seems to go unheard or just plain ignored. Results could be better if they actually cared about the workers – more... they organize or equally as important their own "team" of organizers. Clearly an organizer making 100grand a year cares less about you than they do their salary and at the end of the day that becomes painfully clear. I guess once you reach that level of salary nothing really matters anyway.
They may be more experienced but they clearly lack interpersonal or any sort of skill in how to deal with organizers who they feel may pose a threat or rock the boat. I was targeted by one of their senior organizers for disagreeing with him and leaving work after a more than 12 hour day before a pointless debrief with another organizer who was late for said debrief and who had full knowledge that I was leaving. I was lied to and on by the same organizer (K.F.) who told someone that we debrief every hour on the hour when in fact he didnt even know who I was. (I still have the texts to prove it too) Fat greasy lying p.o.s!!!!
Don't ask too many questions or have a mind of your own,keep your head down and tow the company line EVEN IF they (SEIU) isn't the company you ACTUALLY WORK FOR...(hello NYCC) they can still cut you off at the knees and take away your only source of income...which is odd when you consider they are supposed to be pro worker. Unless you work as an organizer I guess. – less
All consuming job with little time for other life priorities
Administrative Organizer (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: difficult to balance between work and personal life demands
The hardest part of this job is balance between your work and personal life. Travel is extensive, and often it is demanded of you with little notice. A typical day at work finds one trying to figure out which fire to put out first in assignments that can encompass 2,000 to 3,000 members scattered over wide geographic locations at work sites from only – more... 5-6 employees, to several hundred. The best planned calendars are often wiped clean at the demand of management to drop everything and move focus to organizing or political action work. It is not uncommon to work 60-80 hours/week for 40 hours of pay on status as a salaried employee. Phone calls and emails never stop as workers call to request/demand your attention to some burning issue that has developed at the work site. What I learned is that while I believe in the labor movement's philosophy of workers having a voice at the table this voice is very often overlooked in today's era of budget cuts, and doing more with less should often now be interpreted to be doing it all with nothing. This makes bargaining good contracts extremely difficult. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is when you help someone to get their voice heard and make a difference in an outcome that might not have occurred without it. Management for SEIU is driven by politics at both the federal and state levels. The ability to generate new PAC funds from the membership is a priority on performance evaluations. Also, administrative duties are often down-played in importance second to political action work. This enrages many members who pay dues as a part of their job requirements and organizers regularly face obstacles in meeting their PAC requirements due to this resistance on the part of the membership. – less
Fast Paced, Very Knowledgeable People
Representative (Former Employee), Visalia, CASeptember 6, 2012
Pros: lots of travel, get to see and experience a bevvy of new things.
Cons: not much personal time / time off, 2 week work blocks before time off
It was a good place to work for, very very demanding job, long irregular days. learned how to optimize my time management skills, and how to speak with anyone know matter their demeanor/personalty.
A steady paste working enviorment
Home Care, Part time (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 26, 2012
Pros: comfortable enviorment
Cons: somethings can get a little messy.
A typical day of work for me would be get my patient ready by bathing,colthing and house work, washing dishes, vaccum floors mopping kitchen floor. What I learn threw out the day of work is that taking care of someone can be hard sometime, but I make the best of it and get threw it cause I love helping others. The hardest part of my job is to see my – more... patient not feeling sick , but the most enjoyable part of the job is when my patient is happy and having a good day. – less
Good place tro work
Executive Director (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2012
Well run organization. See the value in investing in their employees/members.
I hope you like watching your back
organizer (Former Employee), HCIIMarch 29, 2012
Pros: working to help people unite at the worplace
Cons: doing this for seiu
I worked for this exact company, the work itself is a beautiful experience, the culture is horrible. No one cares about the workers except the field staff. Upper management does not care about their employees and the staff union is useless. An ultra political culture where everyone is looking out for number one and no one wants to work. I say get in, – more... get experience, save your money and get out before your number is up. I cannot be more serious. – less