Service Employees International Union

Service Employees International Union United States Employee Reviews

Strong Mission, Weak Management
Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: strong mission
Cons: weak management
Great organization filled with wonderful and intelligent staff committed to the labor movement. Unfortunately, salaries are very low. Diversity is weak.People of color are not promoted or rewarded. Turn over is high and management does not acknowledge the reasons why. It is not because the work is exhausting. The staff is so committed that they don't complain of exhaustion. They complain of being treated poorly by management. Not being spoken to in a professional manner, not getting clear direction, nepotism in the promotion and salary increase process and worse of all - if you don't attend every public action (rally, march, strike/picket line, etc.) then you are not considered worthy. You will be told to "prove yourself".
Social activism.
Member Services (Current Employee), United StatesJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: scheduling autonomy. professional support. interesting work.
Cons: long hours. long hours. your phone will ring incessantly.
SEIU is a challenging and rewarding organization to work for. While there is little room for advancement (it is just not that kind of "company"), there is a great amount autonomy toward the ways in which you work with your assigned membership. It is a great position for a younger social activist.
A day with the client.
Home Care Aide (Current Employee), Shoreline, WAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: getting to know the client, flexible hours, lively environment
Cons: stress builder.
My job is one on one with the client. I get to spend time with my client and get to know her better. The job allows me to become an even more patient person along with teaching myself the proper body mechanics and safety precautions to keep myself safe and healthy, as well as my client. I enjoy having conversations with my client. It allows me to understand her better and to perform tasks that will make her feel more comfortable and at ease. The job can become difficult when my client goes through mood swings and act out in verbal and physical violence. I would need to calm her down and keep her from harming herself or anybody around her.
Friendly and interactive work place
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
Pros: union, great benifits
I was hired at SEIU to do research finding adjunct professors working for private universities. This consisted of pulling data from College websites as well as linked information and transferring it to a excel spreadsheet. Once this was done, the information needed to be sorted and categorized. Once one college was completed, I would start on the next.

I learned many useful tools in Microsoft excel when dealing with data analysis and regressions. I also learned how to use a web crawler program, that can pull large amounts of data through a website that does not offer it all in one place and have it transferred onto an excel spreadsheet.

My co workers were all very nice and professional. This company is specifically to unionize other companies, so being respectful to one another as well as understanding benefits was a high priority. If you ever needed any help any one there was always willing

The hardest part of this job was the hours on end staring at a screen regressing numbers and being able to stay focused. It was difficult to properly pace myself and stay focused for that long. However by doing this, it helped my attention to detail and motivation skills in order to complete tasks in a timely manor.
Productive day at work.
Human Development Services (Current Employee), Alton, ILDecember 8, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: short breaks
I go into work which is a home; house or a apartment. I assist with anything my client needs. If he or she wants to get up and move around I help them out. If the client is in a wheel chair I help them move from place to place if they are able to sit. I prepare food, clean up, give baths, assist with any animals they have.

I learn a lot from being with older people threw out my day. It could be things about school work or a class project or could be good advice.

I do not work with any one I would love to work with other people with my job. Instead my co-workers work on their own time. I work at different times from my co-workers.

I never had a hard time at my job. Even with a bad day I never take it out on my client or during any thing I am handling at the time.

I love being able to work with older people in their need of help.
loved this place
Union Steward (Former Employee), Detroit,MINovember 9, 2014
Pros: meeting people
Cons: not getting to know more people
Leaned a lot about different jobs. Learned about different things dealing with computer.
Humane but Biased
Labor Organizer - Internship (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 10, 2014
Working for a humane reason, but taking biased political sides when dealing with the type of people and type of situations.
Floor Sales (Former Employee), San LeandroAugust 9, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: some of the managers were too lazy
my co-workers were fun to work with
I tend to wake up earlier now
my typical day at work was getting up at 4 am and help with shipments(which means opening the boxes and take out the merchandise on the racks or on the bakers rack) and we had four house to finish the pile of boxes.
management was reliable at some point, but one manager she tend to sit in the break room all day and when she is need on the floors she is either on her phone or sitting in break room.
Review
Organizer (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNJuly 24, 2014
Pros: they fed us often
Cons: no benefits
As an organizer, one may become a lead, but that is about it. There are no benefits.
A very good and fun environment to work in.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 18, 2014
Pros: the diversity of surveys and people you took surveys with...
Cons: high volume of phone rejections
The entire day consisted of taking surveys over the phone for various corporation, companies and political organization. You learn to deal with rejection and negative people in a very professional and appropiate manner. Management was very supportive and co-workers were fun to work with.
enjoyed working with the people
ACA organizer (Former Employee), Salem, ORMay 2, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: long hours
good to be back at work, liked working with all of the young people that worked there
great work atmosphere!
Canvesser/ Team Lead (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 21, 2014
a typical day for me would start off with critical thinking, how we can do better than the day before.
Worked hard for the residents, but rewarding.
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 20, 2014
Company set core values for the best interest of the residents.
A great diverse community
Canvasser (Former Employee), Boston, Mass.March 10, 2014
Fellow co-workers are very dependable. A friendly work environment that understands the demands of having a family and working. This place is family friendly.
Technical Support
Director of IT (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PANovember 7, 2013
Day to day operations to support transition to Back Office Computing for three (3) sites across the state of Pennsylvania. Procured laptop equipment for field representatives & healthcare workers.
Hard work but worth it
Organizer (Former Employee), Various States and Boston, MASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: seeing people improve their conditions
Cons: sometimes the hours did get a bit too long!
There was never a typical day and I was expected to work long, irregular hours which I embraced. I was in charge of many of my own projects and had to multi-task, skills that I am glad to have used successfully.
SEIU Good Place to work
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee), Salem, ORMay 22, 2013
Pros: busy days always
Cons: job in salem i live in portland would like to find something closer to home.
IT support everything from troubleshooting Mac and Windows 7, Installing Printers and Ghosting return laptops.

Replacing / upgrading memory and hard drives.

Return PC still under warranty

Training new users to enter time and use SEIU portal.
Important work with dedicated, smart people
Public Finance and Policy Intern (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2013
Employees are very dedicated to the organization and its values. They emphasize a doing a job well and set people up for success. My manager was particularly great.
Great training organization
Organizer (Former Employee), Multiple citiesMarch 11, 2013
I travelled around the country meeting new people and conducting NLRB campaigns at hospitals and nursing homes.
Don't ask questions just do as you're told.
Organizer (Former Employee), NYFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: finally knowing
Cons: having worked with them
Those senior organizers who make upwards of 85-100k seem less concerned with getting real organizing info from those organizers who are still in the field on the front lines doing the contact work.
Whatever information about the difficulties we face seems to go unheard or just plain ignored. Results could be better if they actually cared about the workers they organize or equally as important their own "team" of organizers. Clearly an organizer making 100grand a year cares less about you than they do their salary and at the end of the day that becomes painfully clear. I guess once you reach that level of salary nothing really matters anyway.
They may be more experienced but they clearly lack interpersonal or any sort of skill in how to deal with organizers who they feel may pose a threat or rock the boat. I was targeted by one of their senior organizers for disagreeing with him and leaving work after a more than 12 hour day before a pointless debrief with another organizer who was late for said debrief and who had full knowledge that I was leaving. I was lied to and on by the same organizer (K.F.) who told someone that we debrief every hour on the hour when in fact he didnt even know who I was. (I still have the texts to prove it too) Fat greasy lying p.o.s!!!!
Don't ask too many questions or have a mind of your own,keep your head down and tow the company line EVEN IF they (SEIU) isn't the company you ACTUALLY WORK FOR...(hello NYCC) they can still cut you off at the knees and take away your only source of income...which is odd when you consider they are supposed to be pro worker. Unless you work as an organizer I guess.

Service Employees International Union Salaries