Service Employees International Union Employee Reviews

Productive and caring working environment.
Community Organizer/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 31, 2017
A typical day at work starts off with a 2 hour team meeting; discussing individual goals as well as team goals. I spoke to as may as 300-plus constituents. It was community organizing as well as social work. I also trained 20 community activist and collaborated different age groups and races to come together as a community.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Travel, flying, and vast opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks
Very Positive
Administrative Organizer (Current Employee) –  Gouverneur, NYFebruary 24, 2017
Work can be intensive but rewarding at the same time. Work days vary in length. A lot of travel required. Also a lot of travel opportunities I would not have had if not in this position.
Research Coordinator - Office Manager
Director of Research/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2017
Seiu Local 668 is a Good Company with great Healthcare Benefits, good wages and good Pensions Plans. There age many good perks working for any good local union. I would work any day for another union again.
Pros
Wages and Healhcare
Cons
long work hours
Great opportunities. great travel/pay/benefits, beware burn-out
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2017
SEIU is an incredible organization with killer benefits, high pay, tons of growth opportunities, and international travel. It's every activist's dream gig. However almost every position there requires you to serve as an organizer before you get into any higher roles.
The organizer position is intense. Turnover is around 85% within the first two years (by then organizers either promote within the Organizing Department, start their climb in other SEIU departments, or quit). Hours of an organizer are somewhere between 50 and 80 per week. Pay starts very low but if you can make it past the first year, it nearly doubles. I nearly tripling my salary in my eight years with SEIU.

This organization is divided into two sections:
Organizing and everything else; understand the role you are applying for. Positive attitudes and team players excel here.
Pros
Pay/Travel/Benefits, Autonomy, Growth Opportunities, Activism
Cons
Long hours, Internal Politics, Burnout
communicating with people to get signatures for petition
Petition Holder (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2016
full time in a temporary position.
worked as a team in the field to get signature for a petition
registered people to vote and encouraged others to vote
reached out to former clients in the client data base to offer jobs
remained professional at all times mainly while canvassing
My position with the union was very exciting.
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
As a field manager with the service employees international union, I was responsible for enrolling home care aides in the union and making them aware of the benefit packages that were available to them. In that position, I enrolled over twelve hundred homecare and childcare workers.
Pros
The rewarding feeling of empowering the people i visited.
Cons
having to go into unknown territories.
productive
member resource specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 28, 2016
A fun place to work and i really like the environment.
great management. there is diversity with employees.

i recommend this place for people who like busy but fun environment.
Management often sets unrealistic expectations while not providing the proper training or leadership to achieve these goals
Labor Relations Rep (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 29, 2016
My time at SEIU Local 1000 was a very exhausting period in my life. SEIU Local 1000 has an abundance of resources at its disposal however the majority of my position was to challenge the authority of office managers in the institutions where our Union members were employed.

I understand the necessity and benefits and protections a Union provides however I personally felt what I was being asked to do was not only disruptive to the day to day operations of a business but downright unwarranted and unwanted by the union membership itself.

My opinion was not appreciated by Union leadership. In addition there was a very poor work and personal life balance. I've been an exempt employee nearly my entire life however the expectations of SEIU Local 1000 exceeded anything I've experienced in my work history.
Pros
Good coworkers who understand the plight of the staff and team members not at a management level
Cons
Management was out of touch with the realities facing their subordinates
Very nice place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 10, 2016
Loved working at SEIU, no day was ever the same, all of the employees of the Union were truly family. The hardest part of the job was crunch time or when contracts or events or rallies were due or in planning stages. I enjoyed it trememdously as well as the members we represented. Although I was the Assistant to the Vice President, I also doubled as Office Manager for the Cleveland Office, wearing dual hats was sometimes challenging, but also very rewarding.
Pros
The Fellowship
Cons
Short notice, but everything proceeded without error
Rewarding Experience
Senior Internal Organizer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2016
No day is a typical day at work. It is a wonderful experience to work with people to improve the conditions of employment. Building people up to help them realize they possess the ability to assist co-workers in building a strong unit.
Pros
The ability to empower members to be leaders.
Cons
Layoffs is the hardest part of this job.
Excellent mission
Non managerial position (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2015
SEIU is a fast paced organization, with ever changing scenarios, and tight deadlines. Coworkers are dedicated and amazing people. The members are the "magic" - seeing how our hard work affects their lives is very rewarding.
Pros
Ability to learn and develope a wide variety of skills.
Cons
Poor work-life balance, poor management.
Cohesive, collaborative environment under high pressure circumstances
Political/Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 24, 2015
I learned how to work with all sorts of strong personalities. I enjoyed managing our Member Political Organizers at the state and local levels. Our staff had a wonderful time recruiting member volunteers and training them to become activists for union activities, as well as political pursuits.
Pros
Community
Cons
Not enough hours in the day for our interests!
Strong Mission, Weak Management
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Great organization filled with wonderful and intelligent staff committed to the labor movement. Unfortunately, salaries are very low. Diversity is weak.People of color are not promoted or rewarded. Turn over is high and management does not acknowledge the reasons why. It is not because the work is exhausting. The staff is so committed that they don't complain of exhaustion. They complain of being treated poorly by management. Not being spoken to in a professional manner, not getting clear direction, nepotism in the promotion and salary increase process and worse of all - if you don't attend every public action (rally, march, strike/picket line, etc.) then you are not considered worthy. You will be told to "prove yourself".
Pros
Strong mission
Cons
Weak management
Social activism.
Member Services (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 14, 2015
SEIU is a challenging and rewarding organization to work for. While there is little room for advancement (it is just not that kind of "company"), there is a great amount autonomy toward the ways in which you work with your assigned membership. It is a great position for a younger social activist.
Pros
Scheduling autonomy. Professional support. Interesting work.
Cons
Long hours. Long hours. Your phone will ring incessantly.
A day with the client.
Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAJanuary 6, 2015
My job is one on one with the client. I get to spend time with my client and get to know her better. The job allows me to become an even more patient person along with teaching myself the proper body mechanics and safety precautions to keep myself safe and healthy, as well as my client. I enjoy having conversations with my client. It allows me to understand her better and to perform tasks that will make her feel more comfortable and at ease. The job can become difficult when my client goes through mood swings and act out in verbal and physical violence. I would need to calm her down and keep her from harming herself or anybody around her.
Pros
Getting to know the client, flexible hours, lively environment
Cons
stress builder.
Friendly and interactive work place
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
I was hired at SEIU to do research finding adjunct professors working for private universities. This consisted of pulling data from College websites as well as linked information and transferring it to a excel spreadsheet. Once this was done, the information needed to be sorted and categorized. Once one college was completed, I would start on the next.

I learned many useful tools in Microsoft excel when dealing with data analysis and regressions. I also learned how to use a web crawler program, that can pull large amounts of data through a website that does not offer it all in one place and have it transferred onto an excel spreadsheet.

My co workers were all very nice and professional. This company is specifically to unionize other companies, so being respectful to one another as well as understanding benefits was a high priority. If you ever needed any help any one there was always willing

The hardest part of this job was the hours on end staring at a screen regressing numbers and being able to stay focused. It was difficult to properly pace myself and stay focused for that long. However by doing this, it helped my attention to detail and motivation skills in order to complete tasks in a timely manor.
Pros
Union, great benifits
Productive day at work.
Human Development Services (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILDecember 8, 2014
I go into work which is a home; house or a apartment. I assist with anything my client needs. If he or she wants to get up and move around I help them out. If the client is in a wheel chair I help them move from place to place if they are able to sit. I prepare food, clean up, give baths, assist with any animals they have.

I learn a lot from being with older people threw out my day. It could be things about school work or a class project or could be good advice.

I do not work with any one I would love to work with other people with my job. Instead my co-workers work on their own time. I work at different times from my co-workers.

I never had a hard time at my job. Even with a bad day I never take it out on my client or during any thing I am handling at the time.

I love being able to work with older people in their need of help.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Short breaks
loved this place
Union Steward (Former Employee) –  Detroit,MINovember 9, 2014
Leaned a lot about different jobs. Learned about different things dealing with computer.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Not getting to know more people
Humane but Biased
Labor Organizer - Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2014
Working for a humane reason, but taking biased political sides when dealing with the type of people and type of situations.
Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  San LeandroAugust 9, 2014
my co-workers were fun to work with
I tend to wake up earlier now
my typical day at work was getting up at 4 am and help with shipments(which means opening the boxes and take out the merchandise on the racks or on the bakers rack) and we had four house to finish the pile of boxes.
management was reliable at some point, but one manager she tend to sit in the break room all day and when she is need on the floors she is either on her phone or sitting in break room.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
some of the managers were too lazy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Employees International Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Service Employees International Union Reviews by Location