ServiceMaster Employee Reviews

ServiceMaster
Director of Business Intelligence (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 3, 2016
ServiceMaster is a large company with many employees.

A typical day can vary greatly depending on what business unit and department you work in.

ServiceMaster makes a good effort to invest in new employees and develop them.

Management turnovers are frequent and priorities change often. But this is typical in large companies.

The happiest employees are those tied closely with business unit objectives where they tend to have a family-like atmosphere.
Fun Workplace with many different learning opportunities
Promotions Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 19, 2016
The Memphis Open Presented by ServiceMaster was a great experience for me. The internship was unpaid and about 3 months long. We the first two and a half months were mostly promotional events or handing out flyers and such to promote the tournament. Tournament week I had responsibilities that were very broad, anywhere from operations to ticket sales. The hardest part of the job was just the hours of the tournament week. I logged about 70 hours that week.
Pros
Fun up beat work environment
Cons
It was an unpaid internship
No opportunity for advancement
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 6, 2016
A great company to work for. Have greatly enjoyed working and growing with them over the past 10 years, with the exception of a few items:

No opportunity for advancement in my current field.
Pay scale not competitive.
Benefits are not terrible but could be better.
Pros
Great work atmosphere and team dynamic.
Cons
No advancement, below market pay scale
Get it in writing
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 24, 2016
If you are applying for a cleaning position and they tell you there is no heavy lifting make sure you get it in writing. A few of us were told this just to find out after hiring that we had to lift heavy teachers desks and FILLED filing cabinets. This has the potential to injure workers and start a WC claim. There is no problem lifting 50 lbs but they do not tell you it is continuous. Also was told they had men to do the heavier stuff but they were no where to be found when needed but did show up to look good when the customer dropped by.

Management should be honest and ethical or they will always be hiring.
Pros
Worked with some nice people that deserve better
Cons
Noone can lift over 50 lbs constantly for too long without injury
Not a company for long term growth opportunities.
Recruiter Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2016
This company is behavior based company and if you do not fit within their 12 models then you are out. Relegates of performance this is how they are weeding out top talent.
Pros
Great Community outreach
Cons
lack of vision from senior managers for growth beyond Service master culture, little to no diveristy inclusion support from senior manager
Was a great experience to work in the restoration field however hard to move up and learn new skills
accts receivable (Former Employee) –  Fortson, GASeptember 7, 2016
Over all my experience with my fellow coworkers and management team was great. This company had all the incentives such as insurance benefits. Its not a company one can move up in rank with the pay grade expected.
Pros
Healthcare, great atmosphere and Christmas parties were awesome
Cons
No retirement plan
Great opportunity
President of Greenville Operations (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 7, 2016
This was a franchise. I enjoyed making the most of each opportunity. I was able to hire and fire who I saw fit. People that will work and do a good job are hard to come by.
Finding people takes a larger portion of my energy than I wished it did.
Pros
Company paid lunches, golf outings, great support with corporate
Cons
long hours, buck stops with you.
the place i work the people are nice cool to work around they let me know i do a good job and they appreciate my work at the job i work at the irs,
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 20, 2016
the place i work the people are nice cool to work around they let me know i do a good job and they appreciate my work at the job i work at the irs and the red cross. Always do your best at your job and poeple will appreciate your work.
Not structured and always concerned if payroll was going to be met
Disaster Restoration Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 7, 2016
ServiceMaster had no structure or work flow. I was brought in to help build structure and work flow and within 2 years 3 managers and one owner resigned. As I was trying to move forward in the structure and work flow I was very limited as what I was able to do as money to better the company was always a problem. The techs did not have properly working tools or safety equipment.
Great teamwork and management culture...
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CANovember 6, 2016
The expectations on management as well as the front line employees is past the point of unrealistic. With so many mundane things to do, the focus becomes 100% reactive which leaves ZERO time for fixing what is broken that causes of the issues in the first place.

If the focus was truly on customer service as opposed to giving everyone the workload of 3 people, the company would be much more efficient, more profitable (retaining customers and referrals from happy customers) and the team members would be much less stressed on a daily basis.
Pros
Great Culture within the office...great management team.
Cons
Work Load, Unrealistic Expectations, Reactive vs. Proactive, Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results = INSANITY!!!, Managers pay is ridiculously low for all of the workload and bs administrational duties, IF you bonus it would be acceptable if you do not bonus you are 99% not going to be sticking around.
good pay, independence
Lead Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INSeptember 20, 2016
This job paid really well, and allowed a good amount of freedom and independence. The franchise owner had a difficult time keeping a steady workload and did not know how to properly budget time.
Pros
good pay, independence
Cons
management was unable to sustain steady work
Over worked and under paid
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Baton rouge louisianaDecember 1, 2016
I started working for service master in September. I started with one building which was great but then I accepted to clean another building I was told was just like the first..RIght. I have never cleaned daycare's before but this second building is horrendous. They never had a professional company to clean. It's not worth the time or pay the more I clean the more that needs to be cleaned. My supervisor says we are paid by the hour but basically we are paid by the day and they have set up some sort of estimate that determines how many hours it Should take to clean your building. It all sounds illegal. Never have I worked for someone who estimates how long it should take you to do a job and then pay you that amount. No matter how many hours it took you to work you get paid that standard pay. Won't be here for long. Sister and friend has currently quit and I will soon be gone. Not a good company at all.
Pros
None never was offered anything
Cons
Set pay rate even though they tell you they pay by the hour
Pretty standard custodial work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 8, 2016
Liked working independently, going from job to job in the evenings. Drove my own vehicle, company provided equipment. Took care of banks, hospitals and business offices.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Bathrooms my least favorite thing to clean
independence, pretty good pay, active.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJune 1, 2016
I enjoyed cleaning the office buildings I had independence and was in charge of myself which was nice. The pay was good for just cleaning a lot better than a minimum wage paying job. Their was no benefits though; nor much advancement in cleaning. The management was good, they were plesent people, I rarely saw them because they had an office and multiple buildings and I was pretty much in charge of myself. The hardest part of this job was the really dirty bathrooms I had to clean everyday, other than that it was a pretty good job.
Pros
good pay, Independence, good managment
Cons
no benifits, no advancement
this is getting old
CREW CHIEF (Former Employee) –  Bellefonte, PANovember 5, 2016
no one blast dog cat couch t.v. football random objects squirt bottles hair face bagel coffee hot cold rain snow temperature winter summer spring fall leave trees koala bears pokemon go rattle snakes babies eat gummy rabbits in heat
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 8, 2016
I loved my time at SVM. People genuinely cared and you felt like a family. Everyone wanted those around them to succeed and grow. Not so for many brands. Closed DG office and offered packages to those who wanted to move with the company.
very good
team leader (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXAugust 5, 2016
it was not a very good fit for me because of the travel, it spent most of my pay for gas going to and from the job sites and that was really upsetting for me and sometimes driving other workers back home and not getting paid for that
Pros
good ownership
Cons
pay was not what i expected
Highly Enjoyed my employment there was just unable to do on call schedual any longer
Water Mold Tech (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 11, 2016
Absolutely loved the family atmosphere of this job must be dependable, available and honest. Great Company to work for just no longer fit my family schedule
fun workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 24, 2016
it was good experience learning new things at work helping out when needed, Working in teams makes the job easier and fun.
learning things that I never thought I could do
Pros
good staff
Cons
short breaks
productive and established employer
Carpet Technician (Former Employee) –  Pitcairn, PAJuly 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was the team members and other co-workers. Typical day at work consisted of performing carpet clean duties for commercial and residential customers.
Pros
Buy lunch for employees on Thursdays
Cons
Too much downtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ServiceMaster. Our community is ready to answer.