ServiceMaster Employee Reviews in United States

Worst plave I've ever worked!
Cleaning Technician (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORMarch 3, 2016
The management and supervisor was completely unhelpful. The supervisors main job was to keep the closet stocked and it was never stocked. I had to call constantly to ask for supplies that should be there. I had 4 supervisors come and go during the year and few months I worked there. During the last few months I worked there we got a new supervisor and things started going missing like the rags and cleaners. I would stock my closet and he would go in and take my rags I had for the week. Also I worked there over a year, I even got employee of the month and never received a raise. The staff in the clinic appreciated my hard work more than the company. The Supervisor and rover we had before I quit would smoke marijuana together and they would come in and leave my buildings and hallways reeking of marijuana. very unprofessional work place.
Pros
worked by myself in my own buildings.
Cons
no raise, no benefirts, poor management and supervisor
Very good advancement opportunities
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2016
Very good company to work for, I started as a telemarketer and became the Regional Sales Manger within five years. I had the chance to mentor countless individuals that also have advanced with the company. The company was then sold and the senior management that was brought in was very inexperienced in the industry.
Pros
Travel and Compensation
Cons
Very hard work life balance
Great company
Inspector/Sales (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMarch 24, 2016
This particular branch had management which was a "do as I say and not as I do" attitude. I was not happy with this type environment. I'm sure not all branches are the same. You don't write an employee up for doing the same thing as management, when the rule applys to all employees.
Most days would consist of home inspections for request submitted by the home owner with possible issues of different types of pest. I learned how many pest survive and also how to rid the home of them permanently. My co-workers were some of the best people and often helped each other when necessary. The hardest part of the job was crawling under houses looking for wood destroying organisms that could cause permanent damage to the foundation of the home.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and the ability to help each one.
Pros
Good company benefits and overall great company to work for.
Cons
All rules and regulations unfortunately do not apply to all.
Uneventful Manual Labour
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORFebruary 29, 2016
I clean a single one-story office building. There are two kitchens, two copy rooms, four bathrooms, and lots of cubicles, a few offices. I wipe counters, dust, mop, and vacuum. I collect trash and recycling for disposal. All general, easy cleaning. Seriously, though, $9.25 per hour is not enough to pay someone to clean toilets. It is just a little bit degrading.

I really did not like being told at the beginning that I would be working full time then having my shift cut to seven hours a day so I could not gain benefits. I am doing eight hours of work in seven hours. I feel cheated.

The work is not that hard, but there is simply too much to do each day in the time I have been given. I work mostly alone, after hours, so there is no workplace drama. I like the peace and quiet. I have not had any problems with my co-workers. Management is slow getting me the supplies I need, I have to hound my supervisor sometimes when I need towels and gloves.

What have I learned? I have learned being a janitor sucks, but not as much as being unemployed and broke...
Pros
No real stress or drama.
Cons
No real benefits from working 35 hours a week.
Excellent Management team
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13211February 17, 2016
Probably the best company I have ever worked for. Competitive salary, advancement opportunities, great benefits andsome of the best people I have had the pleasure to work with.
Pros
Excellent Employment opportunities
Cons
No locations close enough for me
Good people work enviroment
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 14, 2016
I have learned much more about accounting, Quick Books, and various computer programs.
hardest part of the job is to please everyone!!
I love most of the people I work with
relaxed enviroment
Pros
relaxed work enviroment
Cons
benefits not great, no raises
Absolutely the worst place I've ever worked.
Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Sterling, ILJuly 27, 2015
First, the management staff will tell you all the things you want to hear before starting. They'll make promises of a set schedule, the hours you want and compensation/advancement opportunities. None of this is true. They're just selling you the job. The schedule is very sporadic. Hours always fluctuate between days and nights while not always being a specific shift. Schedule can be run on an "as needed" basis. Be prepared to work in every department even though you're assigned a job title when you start. The management staff is completely worthless. When you go to one with a problem you want a solution for it usually goes unresolved. Chances are they will speak down to you like you're a child, refer to your complaint as "whining" and be entirely insensitive about your issue. I've worked in fast food restaurants that were run by teenagers that were more organized and professional than this company. Honestly, if you're seeking employment I suggest you look anywhere else but here.
Pros
Pretty relaxed about asking for a day off.
Cons
Almost everything else.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2016
Love what I do and my job. Love to help people. I put in long hours. I operate the business and enjoy most of the people I work with.
Pros
company car
Cons
no benefits
Excellent company to work for!
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 30, 2015
From management to front line employees. ServiceMaster is the best company to invest your time and hard work into due to career advancement and learning opportunities.
Fun environment and plenty of advancement opportunities.
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2015
Excellent management, great benefits, paid vacation, sick and personal time, great co workers, never boring.Management is awesome, from giving away 50" tv's to $500 gift cards.
Pros
Activities, Benefits and Co Workers
Cons
mandatory overtime
Helping those in need
ACCOUNT MANAGER/MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 19, 2015
No day is typical as per the industry, however, the organization was positive and motivating. Extensive knowledge as it pertains to marketing and restoration estimation obtained. Colleagues were instrumental in individual and organizational growth. Most difficult part of role was ensuring all maintain a PMA (positive mental attitude), however, the most enjoyable was the satisfying feeling of helping those in need given the unforeseen circumstance(s).
Pros
Family atmosphere and assisting those customer(s) in need
Cons
Minimal opportunity for advancement
Travel/work assignment came in very late
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Meet with trainer.
Schedule the week.
Management non existent.
Co-worker was very helpful.
Hardest part is travel to jobs living from hotel to hotel, state to state.
Learning new building Systems.
Pros
Paid meals.
Cons
To much travel.
Independent and Quiet
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 4, 2016
Working is very peaceful
The management is very polite and checks up on us
There's no on co-workers working me
There's nothing hard about doing this job
I enjoyed for ServiceMaster, the Company believed in training and development.
Human Resources Generalist II (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 8, 2015
My typical day in our Associate/Employee Relations dept. consisted of me checking voicemails and emails, returning any phone calls that didn't consist of me researching anything, and responding to emails that didn't require research or follow-up with another area. I would research all city ordinances, state and federal laws websites to determine if any laws changed, if so, schedule meetings with appropriate attorney to discuss communication to HR Managers. Schedule any conference calls, and/or meetings if applicable as well as attend conference calls and/or meetings scheduled for the day. Update policies and procedures, as well as handbooks for each brands. Responsible for the coordination and completion of all labor and employment laws.
Pros
The department I worked in, challenging and learning something different daily
Cons
Career advancements, medical and compensation benefits
Great workplace, with very fair bosses
Water Technician (Current Employee) –  Hiawassee, GAMarch 15, 2016
I loved working here, even though sometimes there was confusion on job sites. Benefits weren't the best but they were better than none at all.
Pros
1 hour lunches
Servicemaster
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Memphis TennesseeMarch 8, 2016
I have made purchases through them in the past I have dealt with them when I was working with somebody.From the time that initially made the call until the time of the sale and it was over whether it was delivered or I pick it up they were very professional I think working for this company Would be an asset for me and for anybody who got on
Fun And Interesting
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNApril 27, 2016
I learned a lot in this career. Most of my skills came from this position. Here I learned how to deal with people in distress and learned to be compassionate while really wanting to help and do what was in their best interest. I learned discipline for those who depended on me here. I worked a lot of hours but i have to admit it felt good playing the super hero here solving other peoples water issues.
Fun workplace and always work to stay busy
Housekeeping/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 21, 2015
The hardest part of the jobs is when the guys don't show up on scheduled days. Management was very kind and always was open to suggestions to better our resources. The most enjoyable part of my job was to meet someone new each day and do a service for companies and staff
OK company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 10, 2016
Kind of boring and not a whole lot of culture or unity with co-workers. No one would participate in out of the office events. Management always seemed very stressed out when a new job would come in and that was frustrating.

The branch eventually closed due to low volume and revenue.
Pros
Can't really think of any
Cons
Not terrible but not good either
Very Structured
LEAD ESTIMATOR (Former Employee) –  Stallings, NCMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work was very fast paced.

What I learned at ServiceMaster was time management.

Management was very structured.

All my co-workers were great to work with.

Hardest part of the job was being patient with insurance companies and homeowners.

The most enjoyable part of this job was helping out homeowners in their time of need.