ServiceMaster Employee Reviews

No opportunity for advancement
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 6, 2016
A great company to work for. Have greatly enjoyed working and growing with them over the past 10 years, with the exception of a few items:

No opportunity for advancement in my current field.
Pay scale not competitive.
Benefits are not terrible but could be better.
Pros
Great work atmosphere and team dynamic.
Cons
No advancement, below market pay scale
Was a great experience to work in the restoration field however hard to move up and learn new skills
accts receivable (Former Employee) –  Fortson, GASeptember 7, 2016
Over all my experience with my fellow coworkers and management team was great. This company had all the incentives such as insurance benefits. Its not a company one can move up in rank with the pay grade expected.
Pros
Healthcare, great atmosphere and Christmas parties were awesome
Cons
No retirement plan
independence, pretty good pay, active.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJune 1, 2016
I enjoyed cleaning the office buildings I had independence and was in charge of myself which was nice. The pay was good for just cleaning a lot better than a minimum wage paying job. Their was no benefits though; nor much advancement in cleaning. The management was good, they were plesent people, I rarely saw them because they had an office and multiple buildings and I was pretty much in charge of myself. The hardest part of this job was the really dirty bathrooms I had to clean everyday, other than that it was a pretty good job.
Pros
good pay, Independence, good managment
Cons
no benifits, no advancement
Great company
Inspector/Sales (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMarch 24, 2016
This particular branch had management which was a "do as I say and not as I do" attitude. I was not happy with this type environment. I'm sure not all branches are the same. You don't write an employee up for doing the same thing as management, when the rule applys to all employees.
Most days would consist of home inspections for request submitted by the home owner with possible issues of different types of pest. I learned how many pest survive and also how to rid the home of them permanently. My co-workers were some of the best people and often helped each other when necessary. The hardest part of the job was crawling under houses looking for wood destroying organisms that could cause permanent damage to the foundation of the home.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and the ability to help each one.
Pros
Good company benefits and overall great company to work for.
Cons
All rules and regulations unfortunately do not apply to all.
Worst plave I've ever worked!
Cleaning Technician (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORMarch 3, 2016
The management and supervisor was completely unhelpful. The supervisors main job was to keep the closet stocked and it was never stocked. I had to call constantly to ask for supplies that should be there. I had 4 supervisors come and go during the year and few months I worked there. During the last few months I worked there we got a new supervisor and things started going missing like the rags and cleaners. I would stock my closet and he would go in and take my rags I had for the week. Also I worked there over a year, I even got employee of the month and never received a raise. The staff in the clinic appreciated my hard work more than the company. The Supervisor and rover we had before I quit would smoke marijuana together and they would come in and leave my buildings and hallways reeking of marijuana. very unprofessional work place.
Pros
worked by myself in my own buildings.
Cons
no raise, no benefirts, poor management and supervisor
Great teamwork and management culture...
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CANovember 6, 2016
The expectations on management as well as the front line employees is past the point of unrealistic. With so many mundane things to do, the focus becomes 100% reactive which leaves ZERO time for fixing what is broken that causes of the issues in the first place.

If the focus was truly on customer service as opposed to giving everyone the workload of 3 people, the company would be much more efficient, more profitable (retaining customers and referrals from happy customers) and the team members would be much less stressed on a daily basis.
Pros
Great Culture within the office...great management team.
Cons
Work Load, Unrealistic Expectations, Reactive vs. Proactive, Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results = INSANITY!!!, Managers pay is ridiculously low for all of the workload and bs administrational duties, IF you bonus it would be acceptable if you do not bonus you are 99% not going to be sticking around.
Uneventful Manual Labour
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORFebruary 29, 2016
I clean a single one-story office building. There are two kitchens, two copy rooms, four bathrooms, and lots of cubicles, a few offices. I wipe counters, dust, mop, and vacuum. I collect trash and recycling for disposal. All general, easy cleaning. Seriously, though, $9.25 per hour is not enough to pay someone to clean toilets. It is just a little bit degrading.

I really did not like being told at the beginning that I would be working full time then having my shift cut to seven hours a day so I could not gain benefits. I am doing eight hours of work in seven hours. I feel cheated.

The work is not that hard, but there is simply too much to do each day in the time I have been given. I work mostly alone, after hours, so there is no workplace drama. I like the peace and quiet. I have not had any problems with my co-workers. Management is slow getting me the supplies I need, I have to hound my supervisor sometimes when I need towels and gloves.

What have I learned? I have learned being a janitor sucks, but not as much as being unemployed and broke...
Pros
No real stress or drama.
Cons
No real benefits from working 35 hours a week.
Very good advancement opportunities
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 15, 2016
Very good company to work for, I started as a telemarketer and became the Regional Sales Manger within five years. I had the chance to mentor countless individuals that also have advanced with the company. The company was then sold and the senior management that was brought in was very inexperienced in the industry.
Pros
Travel and Compensation
Cons
Very hard work life balance
Over worked and under paid
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Baton rouge louisianaDecember 1, 2016
I started working for service master in September. I started with one building which was great but then I accepted to clean another building I was told was just like the first..RIght. I have never cleaned daycare's before but this second building is horrendous. They never had a professional company to clean. It's not worth the time or pay the more I clean the more that needs to be cleaned. My supervisor says we are paid by the hour but basically we are paid by the day and they have set up some sort of estimate that determines how many hours it Should take to clean your building. It all sounds illegal. Never have I worked for someone who estimates how long it should take you to do a job and then pay you that amount. No matter how many hours it took you to work you get paid that standard pay. Won't be here for long. Sister and friend has currently quit and I will soon be gone. Not a good company at all.
Pros
None never was offered anything
Cons
Set pay rate even though they tell you they pay by the hour
Fun Workplace with many different learning opportunities
Promotions Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 19, 2016
The Memphis Open Presented by ServiceMaster was a great experience for me. The internship was unpaid and about 3 months long. We the first two and a half months were mostly promotional events or handing out flyers and such to promote the tournament. Tournament week I had responsibilities that were very broad, anywhere from operations to ticket sales. The hardest part of the job was just the hours of the tournament week. I logged about 70 hours that week.
Pros
Fun up beat work environment
Cons
It was an unpaid internship
Get it in writing
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 24, 2016
If you are applying for a cleaning position and they tell you there is no heavy lifting make sure you get it in writing. A few of us were told this just to find out after hiring that we had to lift heavy teachers desks and FILLED filing cabinets. This has the potential to injure workers and start a WC claim. There is no problem lifting 50 lbs but they do not tell you it is continuous. Also was told they had men to do the heavier stuff but they were no where to be found when needed but did show up to look good when the customer dropped by.

Management should be honest and ethical or they will always be hiring.
Pros
Worked with some nice people that deserve better
Cons
Noone can lift over 50 lbs constantly for too long without injury
ServiceMaster
Director of Business Intelligence (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 3, 2016
ServiceMaster is a large company with many employees.

A typical day can vary greatly depending on what business unit and department you work in.

ServiceMaster makes a good effort to invest in new employees and develop them.

Management turnovers are frequent and priorities change often. But this is typical in large companies.

The happiest employees are those tied closely with business unit objectives where they tend to have a family-like atmosphere.
Loved working alone
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Honored just to be hired. The management were very patient with me. The job build confidence in me I never knew I had. I just wish I had a car to be there early. Even though I was never late!
Pros
Loved working alone. Loved cleaning the offices and the warehouse
Cons
No Breaks unless you ask supervisor, I had to train a supervisor once, not very diverse, seemed like the company felt more comfortable with Spanish speaking employees.
Excellent Management team
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13211February 17, 2016
Probably the best company I have ever worked for. Competitive salary, advancement opportunities, great benefits andsome of the best people I have had the pleasure to work with.
Pros
Excellent Employment opportunities
Cons
No locations close enough for me
Good people work enviroment
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 14, 2016
I have learned much more about accounting, Quick Books, and various computer programs.
hardest part of the job is to please everyone!!
I love most of the people I work with
relaxed enviroment
Pros
relaxed work enviroment
Cons
benefits not great, no raises
Great opportunity
President of Greenville Operations (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 7, 2016
This was a franchise. I enjoyed making the most of each opportunity. I was able to hire and fire who I saw fit. People that will work and do a good job are hard to come by.
Finding people takes a larger portion of my energy than I wished it did.
Pros
Company paid lunches, golf outings, great support with corporate
Cons
long hours, buck stops with you.
good pay, independence
Lead Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INSeptember 20, 2016
This job paid really well, and allowed a good amount of freedom and independence. The franchise owner had a difficult time keeping a steady workload and did not know how to properly budget time.
Pros
good pay, independence
Cons
management was unable to sustain steady work
Great workplace, with very fair bosses
Water Technician (Current Employee) –  Hiawassee, GAMarch 15, 2016
I loved working here, even though sometimes there was confusion on job sites. Benefits weren't the best but they were better than none at all.
Pros
1 hour lunches
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2016
Love what I do and my job. Love to help people. I put in long hours. I operate the business and enjoy most of the people I work with.
Pros
company car
Cons
no benefits
Not a company for long term growth opportunities.
Recruiter Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2016
This company is behavior based company and if you do not fit within their 12 models then you are out. Relegates of performance this is how they are weeding out top talent.
Pros
Great Community outreach
Cons
lack of vision from senior managers for growth beyond Service master culture, little to no diveristy inclusion support from senior manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ServiceMaster. Our community is ready to answer.