Sesame Workshop Employee Reviews

Privately owned company
Senior Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2017
Wonderful working with the creative team, puppeteers and writers, crew however management was behind the times and could huge a major overhaul with management style.
Dream come true
Latin America Production Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2017
Sesame workshop was the highlight of my summer. I enjoyed traveling to work and always had a fun time in the office. Definitely encourage applying there.
Great place but no room for growth
Digital Content Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2017
Great place to work, especially since they seem to truly believe in their mission statement. Not much room for growth unfortunately and contracted jobs are short.
Great place to work, not too much to do as an intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
I was an intern for the production of the 45th season on Sesame Street. Three days, I came in, did nothing, and left. Very often the work was light, if existent at all.
Pros
Great to have on a resume
Cons
Very little learned
Generous People
Dist. & Licensing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
The CEO is awesome, but I know he struggles with dealing with new employees v.s. old employees. He is creating a change that Sesame hasn't seen in many years, that it creates a disconnect between higher ups and the people working on the floor.

The people are the smartest and kindest I've ever met. It makes me wish Sesame was not a non-profit so the workers could be paid a little more for their extradorinaiy work.
Pros
Great Office Space
Cons
Disconnect between higher ups
Fun job and productive
Sesame place (Current Employee) –  Township of Middletown, PAFebruary 17, 2017
I get to work with others in making a child's experience at sesame place unforgettable. The workers and supervisors do what needs to be done in order to progress and make sesame place better then before.
Pros
30 min breaks, free food, free tickets
Cons
Seasonal job so I was constantly in and out of work.
Really valuable experience
Education, Outreach and Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2017
Sesame was an awesome place to work. Everyone was open to talking to me about my growth. I learned a lot about how the organization operates and would love to come back here. The organization has a great mission and their new leadership is promising!
Fulfilling and rewarding company!
Creative Director of Character Design (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
It has not felt like work for the entire time I have been there. Good pay and moderate job security. Worth the challenges because of what we do for children worldwide.
Pros
Exceedingly fulfilling work.
Cons
Not enough value placed on the legacy of the show.
Productive and fun workplace
Accountant-Project Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
Good work environment. Friendly and helpful employees. Good new CEO. Transparent in providing information about the company. Encourages employees to ask questions to executive staff at staff meetings. A typical day at work is updating reports, processing journal entries, corresponding with various departments regarding budgeting information. Learned reporting of financial information, providing information for closes, generating quarterly reports and more.
Great Mission for children but very political and no job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2016
My time with the company was great.I worked with a wonderful department that provided support for one another and worked as a team. However over the past several years the company in whole has gone through many changes. There has been many layoffs which has lowered the morale. There have been changes in the executive team which hopefully brings good change, as they seem to be listening to employees to help boost moral and revenue for the company.
Pros
Benefits are good, very good PTO, which doesn't even include paid holidays off you get automatically
Horrific work environment
Mid-level employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2016
This is actually the opposite of what I would expect from a children's media company. It has it's perks, benefits are great. Everything else is unbearable. Management is awful, VP level is atrocious. The Senior team is trying to make strides in the right direction, their VP level is the biggest hindrance I've ever seen on a company. Unethical, under-qualified, personally-driven, and arrogant humans.
Overall decent place to work
Associate Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
Sesame Workshop is on the surface a great place to work. Everyone seems to love what they do and there's a great relaxed vibe in the office.

Management can sometimes make things difficult as there isn't always a clear goal and groups tend to work in silos. It can often create a tense political environment between managers, which leaves lower level employees isolated and confused on the best choice of action on a project.
pros and Cons of Sesame Workshop
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New YorkNovember 4, 2014
There is a clear vision and strong commitment to the mission of the organization. The teams are constantly coming up with innovative projects that leverage the power of both the Muppet characters and the Sesame brand itself. Being a part of an inspiring and mission-driven organization is fulfilling and satisfying.

However, there are limited opportunities for recognition, professional growth and fair compensation, no transparency between departments, entitled management, everyone's got an "agenda", unproductive culture of meetings where staff uses the time to "do the work" they should have done prior to.
Excellent place to work
Research and Evaluation Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2014
Everyone there is extremely dedicated and professional. I love the environment!
Productive & Engaging Workplace
Domestic Researcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2013
Sesame Workshop is an established education children focused non-profit that promotes critical development skills through media focused programs such as television shows, educational apps, and classroom lesson plan engagement. As a freelancer I conduct domestic research studies in the greater New York City area. I also execute testing of new products (apps, computer games, tv shows) with children and facilitate educational focus groups with parents/caregivers. After all of the data is collected I then enter and analyze quantitative and qualitative research data.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Intern
Marketing Research Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2013
This is a great place to start. People are extremely nice and willing to share their knowledge and experiences. As an intern, I not only get to learn a lot of professional knowledge but also have chance to lead in a project.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2013
Awesome opportunity!
Fun environment
Hard work but worth it
learned alot about marketing
Pros
set, opportunites
Great colleagues, interesting work
Senior Research Specialist, Global Education (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2012
It was a great group of people and it was a great job if you wan to work on interesting impactful projects. There weren't many promotions while I was there.