SET Environmental Employee Reviews

Hard work gets rewarded
Field services (Current Employee) –  Glenwood, ILSeptember 26, 2017
Typical Environmental job with slow and busy times. I’ve been to a few other Environmental companies and this is by far my favorite. Lots of hours up for grab and if you communicate what you want management will help you get it. Overall good group of people to work with. You’ll always have a few bad apples who are selfish and negative because their only enjoyment in life is being unhappy and blaming others for their failures. I like the family feel. It’s better than being a number working for a large corporation. I know this is a good place to work based on the number of employees who have left for greener pastures only to return to SET.
Pros
Opportunities to make good money. My opinion matters
Cons
Hard to balance home and work life.
October 19, 2017

Thanks for your review! We are happy to hear that you enjoy working for SET and we sure do appreciate all you do!

Relaxed fast paced environment
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 24, 2017
A veteran friendly employer. Never the same job with a relaxed culture. The training is beneficial and the chance for advancement is there if you put in the work effort.
October 23, 2017

Thanks for your review! You can definitely expect variety in this job. We always like to promote from within whenever possible. Keep up the great work!

Traveling circus
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, ILAugust 14, 2017
Management will play favorites on what you are scheduled to do. Keep in mind this is family owned, there is little to no promotion unless you directly know them. The harder you work in the field, the more you will be expected to do so without recognition. HR will ignore any complaints you have. It is not unusual to work 65+ hours a week. You will be on call and not paid for it, expected to drive back to work even after you have just had a 14 hour day. You will have little to no organization in your life. You will be required to travel. If you enjoy working around liars, cheaters, and thieves this company may suit you.
Pros
You can change the ring tone of the phone they give you.
Cons
Everyday is like a circus
October 24, 2017

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would certainly like to address your concerns. Please contact me to discuss further. Or if you prefer to stay anonymous, you may call our Confidential Employee Hotline 847-850-1064.

Thanks,
Lauren Newell- HR
847-850-1104

Stay away
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILJune 4, 2017
Dispatcher out of wheeling plays favorites .. I was terminated but I was looking for another job. Training program is good but the employees are rats ,, it is ok for them to disrespect you but it is not ok to defend yourself ..
Pros
day hours
Cons
employees
October 23, 2017

Thanks for your review. I am sorry your experience at SET was less than favorable. We will review the operations and make improvements as necessary.

Busy. Uniforms are cute
Project Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIApril 3, 2017
More hours than you can handle. Forced to work every weekend. Great for a single workaholic. Break room is pathetic in relation to other companys in the field. Buy the cheapest trucks and equipment possible.
Pros
Dont have to worry about seeing your house in the daylight.
Cons
No breaks, Management has no consideration of local laws for breaks or driving hours, Techs are working christmas morning while project managers are enjoying family at home.
April 10, 2017

Thank you for the review. We apologize that your experience at SET doesn't follow the overall culture and environment within the organization.

In response to your comments:
>Technicians typically work 45-50 hours per week and some weekends are required with a rotating on call schedule for emergency type situations.
>SET uses electronic logs to follow regulations according to DOT guidelines for breaks and driving hours therefore we cannot break any laws.
>Christmas is an observed holiday and in the past we have not had any employees required to work.
>Our Portage location has recently been updated with a new break room and locker room a couple years ago.

To adequately address any concerns you have, I strongly encourage you to speak with your Supervisor or a member of the HR Team. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback is valued.

Mode Transportation Work Day
Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 15, 2017
I would arrive at 6:45 and start with pulling pods for customer on loads that deliver and then processing 50 to 150 invoices from yesterday mail. scan all incoming checks for sending to lockbox and record in system and process all accessories for truck load to paid drivers. also process all requests for comcheck for current loads so carrier have fuel and unload fees if needed. last job of day was to look at IRDB2 for any invoices that were sent to scan dept. without my approval for corrections that need to be made.
Pros
Fast Pace Office
October 24, 2017

Thanks for the review and mentioning what a typical day would be.

fun productive place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2016
when work is slow the hours are short and pay is small you have to love the work. when the work is heavy the hours are long but rewarding and the compensation is good.
Pros
fun positive work place
Cons
pay is short
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. Hours can vary at times, but we do our best to stay consistent with the work load and I think we did a good job this year. Slow times are few and far between and do not last long. So we do greatly appreciate your flexibility!

A Good Opportunity
infrastructure Compliance (Current Employee) –  HoustonApril 21, 2016
SET granted me the opportunity to learn and experience the environmental world. I was given this opportunity here in Houston, TX at Shell Technology Center Houston. My primary responsibility is compliance - the business of keeping Shell Global Solutions (STCH) in environmental compliance with the City of Houston, the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and the EPA by monitoring, sampling testing air quality, soil/dirt, and water.

Working at STCH is a really great atmosphere. The location provides adequate training and full of knowledgeable people that are easy to work with and helpful.

It would be nice if there were more opportunities to grow and advance within the company. Also, SET is unfortunately known for grossly underpaying its contractors.

All in all, I am grateful to experience this new endeavor and I'm hopeful for bigger and better in the future.
Pros
Proximity to home
Cons
VERY little opportunity to grow and advance
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review! It sounds like you enjoy your position and I am happy to hear you find it rewarding. We do like to promote from within as much as possible, however On Site Services is a different environment than other divisions. I am glad you are learning a lot and I hope we can continue to provide a positive working atmosphere for you.

Good job with lots to learn.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILNovember 18, 2015
For the most part the job is pretty good, Maybe A little more professionalism and A little more consideration. And i would like to think I would still be there.
Pros
Good perdeim
Cons
No set schedule.
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. Due to the nature of the work, it is hard to keep a set schedule everyday, so we do greatly appreciate your flexibility. The start and end times may vary slightly, but it is First Shift. Evenings/Nights and Weekends may be necessary also if there is an emergency spill.

Interesting place to work
SITE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILJuly 2, 2015
This job was full of adventures and danger. It was a job that involved a lot of concentration and focus. It is an environmental cleaning company and we were involved in decontamination and removal of hazardous waste. We had to climb extreme heights as well as do tank entry and removal. Exciting, dangerous and exhausting work but I developed an incredible amount of skills at this job.
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review! I am happy to hear you found this job rewarding.

family feel
Receiving & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 12, 2015
Great place to work. Leaders in their industry and multi-faceted company that value their employees. Leadership is great throughout the company with training and mentoring being priority. Safety is first with a culture built around safe practices at work and at home.
Pros
Safety
Cons
Unknown material
October 24, 2017

Thank you for the great review! We are thrilled that your experience working for SET is so positive and we hope it continues to be rewarding.

Productive and adventurous place to work.
R&I Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, Tx.December 9, 2014
A productive and adventurous work place. Depending on your level of experience, there are various jobs to do. Not doing the same thing everyday keeps the job interesting. Management ensures the training and safety of all of it's employees. The atmosphere and culture there is very friendly like family.
Pros
Multiple breaks, large break room with television.
Cons
Expensive healthcare and low percentage raises.
October 24, 2017

Thanks for the positive review! We are happy to provide a safe work environment as it is a huge part of our culture. We recently changed the way we do performance reviews so I hope you saw this as an improvement this year. We are always trying to improve so we do value your feedback!

Productive and educational
Fuel Blend Tech. (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2014
A typical day is Forklift Driving, I learned treatment codes, maintained various loads for shipment, co workers are great to work with, hardest thing was to learn the treatment codes but the enjoyable part was the pay check
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. I am happy to hear you found your work productive and educational.

CDL-B Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 17, 2014
Excellent company to work with. Always there in your times of need, for whatever the reason.
Pros
training, positive attitude among workers, fun
Cons
hours varied from 25-80 hours a week
October 24, 2017

Thanks for the positive review! It means a lot that you consider SET a great place to work. We couldn't do it without great people like you!

Tough, but honest work
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, INMay 27, 2014
Potentially long hours
Difficult, physical work
Potentially dangerous work
Must be tough to work here
Pros
Money, culture
Cons
Long days, weather
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review! You are right- days can be long at times, and it is physical work. But we are glad to know you find it rewarding.

good company
Field Chemist (Current Employee) –  feild chemistMay 11, 2014
good company to work for in general
work days can be long (up to 16 hours)
little notice on work that needs to be done within the week or the following week
Pros
good company
Cons
long work hours, unreliable hours
October 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. We are very happy to hear that you believe SET is a good company to work for. We know it's been difficult to gauge how long the work hours will be because of the emergency spill response. However, we have increased staff over the last few years to help with the workload and believe this has helped.

Lots of work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 15, 2014
Good people, good organization. Good training for the employees. Lots of new jobs in the pipeline
October 24, 2017

Thanks for the great review! We are happy to hear that you believe SET is a good organization to work for. We value safety and believe that providing good training helps grow this culture.

making good money working a lot of hours
Emergency Response Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, ILMarch 6, 2014
I enjoyed working at SET very much. It was a fast paced physically demanding job. however working over 80 hours a week makes it very hard to have a life at home.
goal driven company
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2013
not a bad company to work for concsidering a new contractor for a big company such as Shell
Pros
goal driven
Cons
need more educated managers to run the system
Incredibly nice and professional people to work with. Well run company.
ER/Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Noble, OKApril 25, 2013
Environmental company based out of Noble, Ok. Emergency response, chemical, waste disposal and cleaning/handling. Multiple job environments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SET Environmental. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9