Seton Family of Hospitals

Seton Family of Hospitals Employee Reviews

A good place to work
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  TXJanuary 3, 2016
They are a great team to work with they believe in you they help you, we help each other. It is a great place to learn and grow I can always count on them.
GREAT PLACE TO LEARN HEALTHCARE
Clinical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 9, 2015
I LOVE THE PEOPLE I WORK. I GIVE IT A THUMBS UP BECAUSE WE BECOME A FAMILY. MANAGEMENT COULD USE SOME WORK. I THINK IF THEY UNDERSTOOD WHAT EVERYONE IS DEALING WITH IN EVERY FLOOR AND NOT MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES PEOPLE AND WORKPLACE WOULD BE MUCH BETTER.
Great RN Job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2015
A very rewarding place to work. Positive atmosphere with nursing staff, management is awesome, lots of teamwork and co-works seem to be happy.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
n/a
Huge potential but so many problems
Call Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brackenridge and Seton Medical CenterAugust 9, 2015
Your typical day will consist of taking 100s of calls from doctors, nurses, patients and family members. We're also responsible for all of the codes for all of the hospitals. Overall, I like how laid back the job is. You're aloud to wear regular clothes within a pretty lenient dress code. If you just stick to your guns and do your job you will probably be just fine. The calls are pretty consistent and can get overwhelming at times. Callers, nurses, and doctors can all be pretty rude sometimes but it's an unavoidable consequence of the job. Overall I can honestly say that I enjoy the job itself but the environment itself down here is pretty toxic.

The gossip train is in full force down here and sometimes it is even hard to hear the calls because of the loud conversation going on frequently. Favoritism is a big problem as people soon find out. People are getting targeted all of the time and if you get on the wrong side of the wrong people down here they will make your life miserable. We even had someone get fired because a girl literally went through his computer while he was on break, read some things he had said about some co workers in the department and went to HR and got him fired. It is pretty ruthless down here.

The management pretty much promotes this environment it seems as well. There have been multiple complaints to higher ups about it over the years but nothing ever comes from it and a lot of times it seems that those people get sniffed out and either fired or constantly under a microscope for a good amount of time. The department was recently handed over to
  more... a guy that has no clue about how things work down here and pretty much hates the fact that our department was dumped onto him in the first place. We also recently got 3 more hospitals' calls thrown on us so that now makes a total of 11 different hospitals that we answer calls for, all with their own preferences for codes and protocols for how they want us to handle their stuff. We have yet to see a dime of increased pay for the extra workload and it shows no signs of stopping so sadly it looks to be getting worse and worse down here. We have been told for a while that a pay increase is coming but that's about it. We just found out that the call operators at one of the hospitals were making roughly about $3 more an hour and they were only having to deal with their 1 hospital! It certainly caused a stir down here. I feel bad for the new employees because there's no doubt it is an overwhelming amount of things to learn. It typically takes someone a good 6 months down here before they actually become a useful addition which brings me to my next problem.

The turnover rate down here is horrible. If it's not people being targeted for whatever reasons, it's new employees that find the job too stressful, or the severe lack of promotion opportunities. There's literally nowhere to go except to another department which makes this a stepping stone job that unfortunately actually requires employees with a good amount of experience to be efficient down here. New employees get chewed into quite often as well because nurses and doctors have little patience for incompetence when they're trying to communicate with each other. With things the way they are, old timers are having to pick up a lot of the slack to try to keep the machine moving. It's not working and we've already lost quite a few of our good experienced people.

It makes me sad because I actually for the most part enjoy the job itself but it is not being handled well whatsoever. I don't understand a lot of the decisions being made from further up the food chain on down but it is definitely making things a lot worse than they ever need to be. Tread with caution. The job is pretty nice in a lot of ways, especially for an introvert like me and I still hold out hope that the conditions will improve.
Pros
Laid back environment, flexible schedules with PRN positions, permanent, set schedules with full time employees, no uniforms, sense of purpose
Cons
favoritism, hit or miss coworkers, steep learning curve, constantly increasing workload, targeting
good place to work
Charge Capture Analyst (Current Employee) –  austin txJuly 7, 2015
overall it's good place to work, but it's really difficult to advance.It's pretty flexible. Management varies from department to department. I like the management in my department.
Cons
hard to advance
Loved IT
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2015
Family oriented. Great staff amazing care. I would go back if I desired to live in Indiana.. Management was amazing and I loved my co workers
Could be worse, probably
Patient Access (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2015
Humancare is aimed toward the patients, not the employees. Becoming a more profit-driven network. Job security is decent because everyone is so short staffed now that so many people have left.
Enjoyed the learning opportunities within Seton
Patient Access Representative I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 11, 2015
Pre registered patients for elective surgeries. Verified patient demographics, collected co-pays and deductibles prior to the procedure.
In the ED, I registered patients who came in by EMS or Star Flight. Registered patients who walked into the ED. Collected insurance and identification cards. Scanned the into the system and had the patient sign consent forms and paperwork, as needed.
I learned how important empathy and sympathy are. Management was good for the most part. The hardest part of my job was quitting. Due to unexpected home life changes, I had to resign.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping others. Putting a smile on faces of those who were hurting in some way or another, maybe ill or those who just needed to vent.
I would love to go back to Seton Family of Hospitals. If offered, the opportunity I would do it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
30 minute lunch on a 10 hour shift is exhausting, parking a good block away in a parking garage with no security
Friendly work environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 20, 2015
You learn something new every day working at a hospital, from regular work duties to how to connect with strangers and cheer them up no matter what type of day they are having. my favorite part of working for Seton was being able to make my patients day better with the smallest of things, rather it be a hug or shoulder to cry on, or just giving them someone to talk to, you never know what will make someone's day, the hardest part of the job was when a patient would pass away, trying to comfort their family members.
Radiology IT
Business Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TxMay 6, 2015
Working with the hospital was great. It was always interesting and challenging. The Radiology Team is awesome when i worked there..........
Pros
Great company
Cons
Lack of managment
Its a nice place to work, just need more focus on patients than numbers, numbers will grow with happy, and satisfied patients.
PATIENT FINANCIAL SERVICE REP /DENIALS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  SETON ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES PHILOMENA DRIVE PFSApril 19, 2015
Setting up and prioritizing my work, calling insurances on large balance bills asking why claim was not paid per contract and what is needed to get claim processed paid correctly, and in what time frame to prevent past appealing deadlines, Filing claims to insurances on UB04 (hospital claims), and HCFA (physician claims) in a timely fashion, adjusting accounts that were not automatically adjusted by our VRS system, Appealing claims that were denied via phone, or sending appeals certified with key documents to support our case and more. The hardest part is hearing management in our department meetings focus more on quantity, and less on quality, especially if you are treating each patient like it was your own mother, or yourself. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a patient leaves happy and stress free from something we have done as a team working for 1 common goal..
Pros
interacting and working hard as a team
Cons
Management only communicates via email, and never has time to talk with you, when you need them.
Billing Rep
Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 9, 2015
Billing Representative includes, not limited to, patient registration, verifying insurance, and data entry of initial and subsequent physician billing. Determine and accepts required payments, including co-pays, and deductibles. Collects and enters all necessary demographic, clinical, billing and insurance information from patients or responsible parties. Follow –up on all outstanding claims as well as appeals and collections. Review and process appropriate refunds. Work on outstanding A/R Reports. Performs special projects when needed. Worked as practice Liaison for Blackstock Clinic. Crossed trained in all departments
Cons
too far
Good work place.
Business System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 12, 2015
Seton in general is a good place to work. My suggestions would make sure you negotiate the salary you want to make because raises are minimal unless your in management. Transferring internal will only get you 5% increase in pay not matter if it's a higher paying job. Non-clinical staff are usually the first to be laid off in June everyone walks on egg shell during that time every year.
Pros
flex schedule
Cons
benefits getting more expensive every year.
It was an enjoyable workplace
HIM Tech. /Administration (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2014
I didn't mind going to work because I really liked my boss and co worker. I had never worked in an office or in the medical field before, so I was able to learn quite a bit. The also provided education classes every few months. I was a able to gain a great deal of medical knowlege through them. I was a physical job, and some days my energy level wasn't high. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. It was both professional and friendly.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
there wasn't room to advance
Good company, reliable work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 8, 2014
Learned a great deal, obtained Medical-Surgical certification while employed on adult floor.
Pros
good salary compensation
Excellent place to work in general
Clinical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 3, 2014
I like working here. It's a great place if you like healthcare, helping people and being a part of the hospital team. There is a strong team working relationship with everyone. Everyone pitches in, everyone has a voice. Most people work very hard and no one ever feels left alone to do a tough job. The management is patient but direct. They give you opportunities to advance, better yourself, and to go to school.
Pros
hard working team
Cons
clients can be tough to work with.
Excellent place to work
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnet, TXNovember 6, 2014
Senior clinic lead, duties include providing patient care in a clinic setting; responsibilities include filing patient charts, looking up patient labs, X rays, calling in patient prescriptions. Filling out patient x-ray forms, lab forms, and other tests ordered by the doctor. Keeping track of drug counts, and maintaining clinic JACO ready.
I had learned a lot about the medical feild as a Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 6, 2014
I enjoyed all of my experience with this hospital. It was a temporary position where I got to get great experience.
Pros
i learned a lot.
Cons
the hospital was in experience as to what a medical assistant position is.
Good workplace
Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 2, 2014
Good place to work. Conservative environment. My experience with management was that they were positive and continuously providing feedback.
Seton Health
Registration Associate, Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 24, 2014
This hospital, Seton Health, St. Mary's Hospital has longevity of its employees. Lots of paperwork and appointments for outpatients.
Pros
lunch is required, and flexibility is given for pending appointments
Cons
sometimes it gets very boring working alone