Seton Medical Center Austin Employee Reviews

It is going downhill
RN III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 15, 2017
You know those comics that show one person digging a hole with eight other people watching him dig the hole? That is Seton/Ascension in a nutshell. Nurses and other bedside staff are under appreciated and overworked. The higher ups continue to insist we cut staffing to meet budget. Recently, there were several layoffs of loyal and necessary staff, but the CEO received a $40,000 bonus.
Pros
The bedside staff dedicates their lives to helping patients
Cons
The higher ups are greedy
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2017
I loved my time at SMCA. I worked in the NICU as an RRT. It is a great environment to learn and grow. Management in the respiratory therapy department was the best that I have experienced to date.
I loved working with Seton until they contracted us out
Patient Access Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2017
I had worked with Seton for almost 10 years until they sold us out to R1 RCM. I enjoyed the job I did and the patients I assisted, however the company isn't what it used to be.
Pros
Patients and co workers
Cons
Leadershp, contracting out everyone
Nicu nurse
RN Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2017
Love being a NICU Nurse. My manager is amazing and always willing to help. Great environment with great staff. Only fall back is hospital never closes.
a day a work
CMA (Current Employee) –  38th st austin txMay 9, 2016
super busy , love it always leaning, very family oriented, always trying to better them self's in order to provide better service for our patients.
Healthcare organization that embarks on cultivating patient care
Executive Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 18, 2015
Seton Healthcare Family is an ever evolving organization that strives to improve patient care throughout all of it's facilities.
Daily Operations
SOUS CHEF (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 4, 2015
Over see and assist in the daily operations to obtain the max output of staff and the highest quality of product possible.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Mangment
Busy busy busy
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin TexasNovember 22, 2014
very intense ICU!! Learned so much! Physician collaboration with nursing is amazing.
Great Hospital, OK place to work
PAR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2014
Patient care (or humancare) is definitely SMCAs first priority. That is not a bad thing by any means, but when it comes to their employees, sometimes they can forget that we are humans too.
Great Place to Start out in RN Residency Program
Maternal Newborn Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assessment of both baby and mom's fresh out of surgery or post delivery. Responsible for up to 8 patients at a time. Giving medication and pain control is a priority on this unit. A lot of the day consisted of detecting signs and symptoms of disease in high risk newborns, as this is the high risk L&D hospital in the Austin area. I learned a lot about people; different types of people, how to adapt to a fast paced and ever changing environment and how to care for people no matter what their past entailed. I learned to care for a mother that had a baby withdrawing from heroin in the nursery with the same compassion as I did any other patient of mine on the unit. It is not my place to judge. I learned strength above all else. Management was going through rapid changes as the entire network and healthcare in general was changing all together. I learned that it takes a lot to be a strong leader. A lot of skills that I can see in myself but that will take a while to develop. My co-workers were supportive and helpful in the environment that we were in. The hardest part about my job again was dealing with a case that CPS was involved in, watching the mother hold her child as CPS is telling her they are removing the baby from her and that she will no longer be able to have contact with the child. I am the nurse to both that child and that mother. I have never felt those types of emotions before. Giving the mother a hug and letter her know that someone was here for her, and not everyone in the world is against her. Yet, protecting the  more... precious baby that didn't deserve to come into the world like that. This wasn't a monthly or weekly thing. It was a multiple times per day thing. The most enjoyable part of my job, by far, was being a part of the most sacred of moments in peoples lives. Being their when their child is born. That is a life changing experience.  less
Pros
Rewarding work, high risk OB, required attention to detail and hard work
Cons
management, little opportunity to advance, unorganized system, work environment often low morale
good place to work
ICU Nurse (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 25, 2014
Seton has been a good place to work, although it recently has been taken over by Ascension Healthcare, who have been making massive changes. while things are in a state of flux now, which is stressful, I think the company is still a great healthcare system and I am proud to work there.
Wonderful people and benefits.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2013
Stressful of course, however, the day was made easier with the help of amazing coworkers.
A great place to work.
Office Manager II at the Cancer Care Collaborative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2013
Wonderful employee culture. Everyone aligns with the Seton mission to provide service to the poor. I truly respect Seton for how they help patients everyday.