Severstal North America Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work, if OSHA went there it would close down. Toxic environment, no regard for employee safety.
Process Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 15, 2017
Would not recommend, an unsafe place to work. For the demand they place on you, you are not paid appropriately for it. It is not worth the risk to work there at all.
Rate this company upper supervision poor .
Boiler Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMay 16, 2017
Severstal Upper Supervision over load their supervisor 'so on the off turns.A typical day I was responsible for six group 's of employees .
Pros
Elevator worked 80%of the time .
Cons
Elevator was out 20%of the time .
Well rounded professionalism.
Raw Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJune 24, 2016
A highly productive, self motivated staff that worked hard for the success of the company and the community. I would work for this company again if the opportunity presented itself.
unique place to work
HR - Labor Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 28, 2014
not too many steel mills in the area can be great place to work...will get a little dirty and must pay attention to things all around you for your personal safety
Pros
24/7 operation
Cons
dangerious environment
Very lean and efficient operation
Quality and Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 26, 2014
We are not an overstaffed company but everyone is utilized to their max potential. Great work environment with even greater managers. I am in charge over interfacing with OEMs to determine which grades we are developing would be most beneficial to them. After the grade is developed, I am in charge of the commercializtion of that grade.
Unethical Place
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJuly 9, 2014
The unethical culture here runs deep, don't expect to move up in the company unless you are willing to circumvent policy. In addition, those who do not conform to this style of practice will be pushed out the door.
Great people to work with
Shipping Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSMay 13, 2014
The work is swing shift, four on, four off, and 12 hour shifts, with mandatory overtime. I normally wrap the coils when they come off the production line. The management is not as involved as they need to be. My co- workers are great. The hardest part of the job is working night shift and leaving my family at home. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great people, who are fun to work with.
Pros
Great co- workers, benefits
Laboratory Engineer
Laboratory Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 18, 2013
A typical day at work was just running samples in a tensile robot and milling the sample own to spec size. Charting SPC and running R&R test.

Enjoyable part of my job was being apart of the day to day operations.
great pay, and great benefits but stressful workload
Crane Operator, Company Name (Current Employee) –  dearborn, michiganApril 9, 2013
very good job security, pay and benefits are great but the work is stressful to the mind and body and often the work environment is dirty and dangerous, so pretty balanced based on your preference
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
dirty, dangerous
Productive and busy but fun environment
Burner Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 3, 2013
In today’s economy, there’s no time to waste on workers who lack the necessary skills and motivation. I started off as a bander and withing 6 weeks I was operating several types of cranes in the Hot Strip and Cold Mill.

My previous experience working as an Overhead Crane Operator for Severstal North America taught me the ins and outs of a heavy industrial environment

It is a very busy environment but fun and fast paced which made the days go buy fast. However their is very little job security there as I learned that fast and I am now out of a job, searching for something similiar to Severstal
Pros
lots of overtime and friendly co workers
Cons
very little job security

Want to know more about Severstal North America?

Ask a question
Company filed for bankruptcy protection
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 31, 2013
Formally Bethlehem Steel, Sold to ISG Corporation, Then sold to Severstal Corporation and then sold to RG Steel LLC
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
dangerous, financially unstable
Very exciting place to work. Everyday brings new challenging elements.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 30, 2012
Severstal Dearborn is a great facility to work at. Everyday I see new challenges that have helped me develop valuable experience that will help the growth of my career.