Seyfarth Shaw LLP Employee Reviews in United States

I liked Seyfarth Shaw
Billing/Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2015
About the company: I enjoyed my job there for the 7 some what years there it was my other home...All great people and place to work.
Just ok
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2015
It is really hard to advance if you are hired into the Professional Services Group, and that's where most attorney hiring has been over the last few years.
Toxic Work Environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 2, 2015
Unreasonable expectations and extremely poor treatment of lower level attorneys and non-attorney professional staff.
Workaholic but enjoyed people I worked for and what I did.
Technology Asset Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2015
Did the day-to-day coordination of all of the laptop and desktop assignments. Maintained a current log of all software received in physical form of real media or electronic. Provided on a bi-monthly basis numbers for all renewal software which will be paid in the future per month, quarterly, bi-annual and annually. I assisted the IT Department in identifying and coordinate future spending.
Good benefits; too many personal politics
Business Immigration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 27, 2015
They have a good system going IF and only if you are trained properly. Otherwise you are set up for failure. Good benefits but too many personal politics.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management in certain areas of law
Intake Coorindator
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 30, 2014
INITIATION OF NON IMMIGRATION PETITION
non immigration visa questionnaire.
IMMStar docket
CHANGE OF STATUS
L-1 INTER-COMPANY TRANSFERS
Excellent Law Firm
Legal Secretary/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2014
It was a fun, fast-paced place to work. Our practice was employment and labor law. I enjoyed all aspects of the position, first as a legal assistant and later as a paralegal. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to provide support in trials and hearings. The hardest part of the job was preparing for trials and hearings.
In general, a good place for junior- and mid-level associates.
Senior Associate, Gen Lit and L&E (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Overall, a pleasant work environment. Nice colleagues and staff. Advancement is not robust, due to the prevailing legal market and contraction of outside counsel work in general. This is one of the more challenging aspects of the big picture -- the long-term prospects of certain practice areas in certain areas of the country where the firm has offices. Still, overall, a good place to work, with some bright minds and hard workers.
Pros
calm environment.
Cons
no accrued vacation time; highly cost-conscious clients.
Corporate Environment
Labor and Employment Attorney (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
Attorneys and staff are highly professional and efficient in their daily tasks. The environment promotes hard work and excellence.
Accounting department is a royal mess
billing coordinator (Current Employee) –  chicagoMay 21, 2014
I was a contractor who went in-house, and am regretting my decision. The onboarding process was embarrassingly inept, the training was amateurish and poorly executed, and the turnover in the accounting department is jaw-dropping. The billing department has been without a manager - oops! make that "National Billing Director" (they are big on grandiose titles here) - since the first week in April (she was abruptly fired with no explanation), with no one in sight as a replacement. People randomly leave without notice weekly; the remaining billing department personnel are aggressively unfriendly and cliqueish. Poorly conceived processes; for a firm that prides itself on being tech-savvy, the billing here is stll done almost exactly the way it was done 20 years ago, with hard copy paper drafts being submitted to the attorneys for review and revision by hand. NO ONE DOES THAT ANYMORE, SEYFARTH. They do pay reasonably well, and the benefits are OK, but you are on your own in procuring most of them - no one is there to provide information.
Pros
reasonably easy commute; nice building (though the firm is inexplicably moving in 2016, after only 7 years at 131 s. dearborn)
Cons
unrealistic workloads, due to attrition; extremely excessive department turnover/unstable department management, going back at least 4 years
A great place to work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the 13 years I worked at this Firm. The environment was very warm and it felt like a big family. Staff helped me develop my skills and truly appreciated any input I gave.
Pros
large company
Cons
nothing really
Overall work experience
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2014
Overall good work experience. The staff and the attorneys are great.
Very fast-paced environment
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downtown Houston, TXDecember 25, 2013
Review of incoming e-mails and take appropriate actions; draft requested documents; file incoming documents on-line

Co-workers and Management are very considerate

The hardest part is to stay one step ahead of attorneys

The job gives you the satisfaction that you accomplish something
Pros
able to talk to people you work with
Cons
none to think of
wonderful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2013
worked in a mailroom /copyroom setting.worked with a good friend, and for a great Law Firm, with wonderful people.
Pros
great people
Great people,good benefits, good compensation
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2013
We came as a group from another law firm and the people were terrific, however there was not not enough work for our entire group
Pros
lots of philanthropic activity
Cons
job was in new york city, commute too long and not enough work to stay busy.
Terrible management in Atlanta office
Records Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2013
Support staff isn't valued in the Atlanta office of Seyfarth. The firm it self is a great operation. The Atlanta office poorly run mainly due the the hiring of under qualified management (Mostly friends of the Managing parnter or the Office administrator). The office administrator can be very cold toward any employee she doesn't care for! Also if you're looking to grow and advance, well keep looking you'll never advance here!!! They will promise yout he world, but when you ask them to make good on them they pretend the conversation never took place! Not to mentiont he 2% annual increase they give every year witht he same reasons!! However the inner circle receives increases of 5% or better. I guess if my friends were employed by me I'd give them the same. Also, be aware of the differnent rules for different folks policy that the offic administrator uses when she feels your not doing what she feels you should be doing even if there is no written policy or rules against is. She'll make 1 up just for you! I ONLY GAVE A RATING OF 1 BECAUSE ZERO ISN'T AN OPTION!!
Pros
friday breakfast
Cons
management
Does not value staff
Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2013
Staff is not view as a valued asset. I was always told if you do not have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
Pros
nice location
Cons
no work life balance
Great employees
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2013
It was a decent experience. I felt I was let go prematurely due to reasons beyond my control.
Wonderful group of attorneys.
Director of Communications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2012
An invigorating, challenging environment which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Pros
deep and thoughtful roster of successful attorneys.
Cons
unreliable cmo
Wonderful place to work - healthy and fun!
Library (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 17, 2012
What a great work environment; quality people, up-to-date equipment, great culture! Sorry I ever left Seyfarth
Shaw LLP...
Pros
everything
Cons
seriously, nothing.