Seyfarth Shaw LLP Employee Reviews

Immigration legal assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 16, 2017
Great experience, I learned a lot in the law field. There were many benefits and perks that also made the job a lot of fun. The atmosphere is energetic, positive, and productive.
Great place to learn about Labor Law
Office Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 23, 2017
The staff was great! Had to cover the front desk at times, great place to learn Labor law. Some of the legal secretaries were very rude, some very nice and willing to help.
Good place to work.
Legal Floater Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2017
I started as a "floater" who sits in when someone is out of the office for the day, vacation, medical leaves. I worked in many areas of law, i.e, estate planning, litigation, corporate, tax, labor and employment, bankruptcy and immigration. In a large firm, "floating" was a good way to learn and meet people. It was a good place to get some litigation experience which is fast paced. I enjoyed pulling cases in the library and meeting deadlines. The last position I held was in the labor and employment department as a secretary to a partner. His secretary did not return from a medical leave. He was not tech savvy and wholly depended on a secretary. It was fine for a while (8 months), but I was getting home late every night around 9 pm. That's a long day in Chicago. The lawyer didn't arrive to work until afternoon each day making it mandatory that I stay overtime. The firm had just moved its location, so all positions were on hold at the time. I decided to leave.
Pros
Good work environment for the most part; I still maintain contact with friends.
Cons
Too much overtime.
Stressful environment
Slave (Former Employee) –  AtlantaJuly 24, 2016
If you receive a call to work in the immigration department-- RUN! Do not quit a job to work here! There isn't one happy employee in this department and stress levels are high. The turnover in this department is the worst I've ever seen. It's car dealership salesman turnover. The average person lasts about one year and a half. It's a papermill and management doesn't seem to care about its employees. In their eyes, everyone is replaceable. If you like to be overworked, worried, micromanaged, degraded, and hazed... this may be the job for you. Colleagues were awesome, which is the only reason I was able to sustain for so long. Beware! Not certain how the company functions overall but the immigration department in Atlanta is a big no no. Run for the hills! Run, Forest, run!!!
Pros
Met some great people and free breakfast on Fridays.
Cons
Poor leadership, high turnover, low morale.
Wouldn't recommend IST group
Staff Attorney- IST group (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJune 1, 2016
IST group poorly managed and grossly under-paid. They exploit female attorneys who are trying to juggle family and work life. They give little to no training and expect new employees to seek out work for themselves. There is absolutely no human interaction in the firm outside email. Would strongly discourage anyone from working here.
Pros
Cons
to many to list
I liked Seyfarth Shaw
Billing/Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2015
About the company: I enjoyed my job there for the 7 some what years there it was my other home...All great people and place to work.
Just ok
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2015
It is really hard to advance if you are hired into the Professional Services Group, and that's where most attorney hiring has been over the last few years.
Toxic Work Environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 2, 2015
Unreasonable expectations and extremely poor treatment of lower level attorneys and non-attorney professional staff.
Workaholic but enjoyed people I worked for and what I did.
Technology Asset Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2015
Did the day-to-day coordination of all of the laptop and desktop assignments. Maintained a current log of all software received in physical form of real media or electronic. Provided on a bi-monthly basis numbers for all renewal software which will be paid in the future per month, quarterly, bi-annual and annually. I assisted the IT Department in identifying and coordinate future spending.
Good benefits; too many personal politics
Business Immigration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 27, 2015
They have a good system going IF and only if you are trained properly. Otherwise you are set up for failure. Good benefits but too many personal politics.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management in certain areas of law
Intake Coorindator
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 30, 2014
INITIATION OF NON IMMIGRATION PETITION
non immigration visa questionnaire.
IMMStar docket
CHANGE OF STATUS
L-1 INTER-COMPANY TRANSFERS
Excellent Law Firm
Legal Secretary/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2014
It was a fun, fast-paced place to work. Our practice was employment and labor law. I enjoyed all aspects of the position, first as a legal assistant and later as a paralegal. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to provide support in trials and hearings. The hardest part of the job was preparing for trials and hearings.
In general, a good place for junior- and mid-level associates.
Senior Associate, Gen Lit and L&E (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Overall, a pleasant work environment. Nice colleagues and staff. Advancement is not robust, due to the prevailing legal market and contraction of outside counsel work in general. This is one of the more challenging aspects of the big picture -- the long-term prospects of certain practice areas in certain areas of the country where the firm has offices. Still, overall, a good place to work, with some bright minds and hard workers.
Pros
Calm environment.
Cons
No accrued vacation time; highly cost-conscious clients.
Corporate Environment
Labor and Employment Attorney (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
Attorneys and staff are highly professional and efficient in their daily tasks. The environment promotes hard work and excellence.
Accounting department is a royal mess
billing coordinator (Current Employee) –  chicagoMay 21, 2014
I was a contractor who went in-house, and am regretting my decision. The onboarding process was embarrassingly inept, the training was amateurish and poorly executed, and the turnover in the accounting department is jaw-dropping. The billing department has been without a manager - oops! make that "National Billing Director" (they are big on grandiose titles here) - since the first week in April (she was abruptly fired with no explanation), with no one in sight as a replacement. People randomly leave without notice weekly; the remaining billing department personnel are aggressively unfriendly and cliqueish. Poorly conceived processes; for a firm that prides itself on being tech-savvy, the billing here is stll done almost exactly the way it was done 20 years ago, with hard copy paper drafts being submitted to the attorneys for review and revision by hand. NO ONE DOES THAT ANYMORE, SEYFARTH. They do pay reasonably well, and the benefits are OK, but you are on your own in procuring most of them - no one is there to provide information.
Pros
reasonably easy commute; nice building (though the firm is inexplicably moving in 2016, after only 7 years at 131 S. Dearborn)
Cons
unrealistic workloads, due to attrition; extremely excessive department turnover/unstable department management, going back at least 4 years
A great place to work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the 13 years I worked at this Firm. The environment was very warm and it felt like a big family. Staff helped me develop my skills and truly appreciated any input I gave.
Pros
large company
Cons
nothing really
Overall work experience
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2014
Overall good work experience. The staff and the attorneys are great.
Very fast-paced environment
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downtown Houston, TXDecember 25, 2013
Review of incoming e-mails and take appropriate actions; draft requested documents; file incoming documents on-line

Co-workers and Management are very considerate

The hardest part is to stay one step ahead of attorneys

The job gives you the satisfaction that you accomplish something
Pros
Able to talk to people you work with
Cons
None to think of
wonderful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2013
worked in a mailroom /copyroom setting.worked with a good friend, and for a great Law Firm, with wonderful people.
Pros
great people
Cons
Great people,good benefits, good compensation
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2013
We came as a group from another law firm and the people were terrific, however there was not not enough work for our entire group
Pros
Lots of philanthropic activity
Cons
Job was in New York City, commute too long and not enough work to stay busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seyfarth Shaw LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

Seyfarth Shaw LLP Reviews by Location