Seyfarth Shaw LLP Employee Reviews

Stressful environment
Slave (Former Employee) –  AtlantaJuly 24, 2016
If you receive a call to work in the immigration department-- RUN! Do not quit a job to work here! There isn't one happy employee in this department and stress levels are high. The turnover in this department is the worst I've ever seen. It's car dealership salesman turnover. The average person lasts about one year and a half. It's a papermill and management doesn't seem to care about its employees. In their eyes, everyone is replaceable. If you like to be overworked, worried, micromanaged, degraded, and hazed... this may be the job for you. Colleagues were awesome, which is the only reason I was able to sustain for so long. Beware! Not certain how the company functions overall but the immigration department in Atlanta is a big no no. Run for the hills! Run, Forest, run!!!
Pros
Met some great people and free breakfast on Fridays.
Cons
Poor leadership, high turnover, low morale.
Wouldn't recommend IST group
Staff Attorney- IST group (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJune 1, 2016
IST group poorly managed and grossly under-paid. They exploit female attorneys who are trying to juggle family and work life. They give little to no training and expect new employees to seek out work for themselves. There is absolutely no human interaction in the firm outside email. Would strongly discourage anyone from working here.
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Workaholic but enjoyed people I worked for and what I did.
Technology Asset Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2015
Did the day-to-day coordination of all of the laptop and desktop assignments. Maintained a current log of all software received in physical form of real media or electronic. Provided on a bi-monthly basis numbers for all renewal software which will be paid in the future per month, quarterly, bi-annual and annually. I assisted the IT Department in identifying and coordinate future spending.
I liked Seyfarth Shaw
Billing/Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2015
About the company: I enjoyed my job there for the 7 some what years there it was my other home...All great people and place to work.
In general, a good place for junior- and mid-level associates.
Senior Associate, Gen Lit and L&E (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Overall, a pleasant work environment. Nice colleagues and staff. Advancement is not robust, due to the prevailing legal market and contraction of outside counsel work in general. This is one of the more challenging aspects of the big picture -- the long-term prospects of certain practice areas in certain areas of the country where the firm has offices. Still, overall, a good place to work, with some bright minds and hard workers.
Pros
Calm environment.
Cons
No accrued vacation time; highly cost-conscious clients.
Great firm to work for.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2012
I highly recommend this firm. I have learned quite a bit and you can grow within the company. The people are friendly. The firm has its good and bad just like any company. I would definitely work there again if I had not moved to TX. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the attorneys who were very demanding. No matter what you did or how hard you worked, you can never please him/her. Management was fair. They tried very hard to please their employees.
Pros
plenty of room to grow within the company.
Cons
i really have none.
Excellent Law Firm
Legal Secretary/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2014
It was a fun, fast-paced place to work. Our practice was employment and labor law. I enjoyed all aspects of the position, first as a legal assistant and later as a paralegal. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to provide support in trials and hearings. The hardest part of the job was preparing for trials and hearings.
Very fast-paced environment
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downtown Houston, TXDecember 25, 2013
Review of incoming e-mails and take appropriate actions; draft requested documents; file incoming documents on-line

Co-workers and Management are very considerate

The hardest part is to stay one step ahead of attorneys

The job gives you the satisfaction that you accomplish something
Pros
Able to talk to people you work with
Cons
None to think of
Just ok
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2015
It is really hard to advance if you are hired into the Professional Services Group, and that's where most attorney hiring has been over the last few years.
Good benefits; too many personal politics
Business Immigration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 27, 2015
They have a good system going IF and only if you are trained properly. Otherwise you are set up for failure. Good benefits but too many personal politics.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management in certain areas of law
Intake Coorindator
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 30, 2014
INITIATION OF NON IMMIGRATION PETITION
non immigration visa questionnaire.
IMMStar docket
Hotdocs Immigration Library forms
H-1B Cap application
I-129 NON IMMIGRATION PETITIONS
PREM ONLINE SERVICE
CHANGE OF STATUS
L-1 INTER-COMPANY TRANSFERS
Great people,good benefits, good compensation
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2013
We came as a group from another law firm and the people were terrific, however there was not not enough work for our entire group
Pros
Lots of philanthropic activity
Cons
Job was in New York City, commute too long and not enough work to stay busy.
Toxic Work Environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 2, 2015
Unreasonable expectations and extremely poor treatment of lower level attorneys and non-attorney professional staff.
A great place to work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the 13 years I worked at this Firm. The environment was very warm and it felt like a big family. Staff helped me develop my skills and truly appreciated any input I gave.
Pros
large company
Cons
nothing really
Wonderful group of attorneys.
Director of Communications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2012
An invigorating, challenging environment which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Pros
deep and thoughtful roster of successful attorneys.
Cons
unreliable cmo
Wonderful place to work - healthy and fun!
Library (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 17, 2012
What a great work environment; quality people, up-to-date equipment, great culture! Sorry I ever left Seyfarth
Shaw LLP...
Pros
everything
Cons
seriously, nothing.
Corporate Environment
Labor and Employment Attorney (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
Attorneys and staff are highly professional and efficient in their daily tasks. The environment promotes hard work and excellence.
wonderful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2013
worked in a mailroom /copyroom setting.worked with a good friend, and for a great Law Firm, with wonderful people.
Pros
great people
Very good place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant, (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2013
open the job was very good. This company was good I love the opportunity to have been employed with Seyforth Shaw.
Terrible management in Atlanta office
Records Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2013
Support staff isn't valued in the Atlanta office of Seyfarth. The firm it self is a great operation. The Atlanta office poorly run mainly due the the hiring of under qualified management (Mostly friends of the Managing parnter or the Office administrator). The office administrator can be very cold toward any employee she doesn't care for! Also if you're looking to grow and advance, well keep looking you'll never advance here!!! They will promise yout he world, but when you ask them to make good on them they pretend the conversation never took place! Not to mentiont he 2% annual increase they give every year witht he same reasons!! However the inner circle receives increases of 5% or better. I guess if my friends were employed by me I'd give them the same. Also, be aware of the differnent rules for different folks policy that the offic administrator uses when she feels your not doing what she feels you should be doing even if there is no written policy or rules against is. She'll make 1 up just for you! I ONLY GAVE A RATING OF 1 BECAUSE ZERO ISN'T AN OPTION!!
Pros
Friday Breakfast
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seyfarth Shaw LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

Seyfarth Shaw LLP Reviews by Location