SGS NORTH AMERICA INC Employee Reviews

Itis an interesting job
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 24, 2017
YOU come in to work and samples from previous shift had to be finished. AT one time you were on a 7-day rotation.The manager was very easy to work for.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
The shifts
Difficult Company to work with
Inspector / Auditor (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 11, 2017
The company has great potential and would be fun to work for, if the micro management factors were removed. Had fun and enjoyed my position in the beginning. However, it has become less than desirable due to continuous management changes. Managers have little regard for the well being of employees. There are a lot of promises made that are not fulfilled. Promotion and raises are non existent. Compensation is poor, travel expenses are poor.
Pros
Freedom of not working out of a corporate office
Cons
Poor pay, poor compensation, poor management. Continually changing rules, and policies with out forwarning, the threat of termination is posted on each and every document, Intimidation practices are common place.
Inspection Life - 'nough said!
INSPECTOR/SURVEYOR (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 27, 2017
This was my "introduction" to the inspection business. It definitely showed me that it doesn't matter your age, you will be respected by what you know. Being on a 6 on 3 off schedule was pretty rough at times. My superiors were typically generous when it came time to "I need some down time" if I have been working way too many hours or if something personal came up. Towards the end of my tenure at SGS, there was a lack of training which lead me to want to venture off elsewhere. Also, there was a lack of pay increases to offset any training advances.
Pros
good money - great fellow inspectors
Cons
lower pay than other companies
environment very diverse
Valuation/Price Analyst or Export/Import Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 13, 2016
My experience at SGS was over all good. the Management was outstanding and the benefits there was amazing. the work flow was enough to keep the energy high in the office. Though the other employs did not take it kindly to me being a minority in the office.
Pros
health care and long breaks
Cons
colleagues at locate not friendly
I was able to develop a program with little or no interference, that was compliant with the needs for offshore.
HSE and Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houma, LASeptember 24, 2016
As the HSE specialist I was tasked with developing the SEMS (safety and environmental management system) that was required by all major offshore companies post Mccondo or Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico. This required me to research and develop Systems, programs, policies, and procedures. Also required me to maintain currency in there development. I received kudos from three of the major operators for handling my SEMS program so i effectively. I was also the safety training officer in the company and had to train the employees which was hard because they work like cats, trying to heard them was nearly impossible as they would coming to the shop and be off to a job are maybe not even coming to the shop.
Pros
Stable 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock job
Cons
The maintenance manager was stuck in the 1960s and was difficult to train.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKDecember 10, 2015
Enjoyed the team th1at I worked with daily, loved my job working with our affiliates in all countries, working with inspectors and managing porjects
Pros
Very Flexible
Cons
At times felt like you could never get away from work
N/a
Data Entry/File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Deer ParkAugust 17, 2015
The environment at SGS has very nice people.They work as a team to help SGS become better. They make sure they have meetings to take action in full affect.
Pros
Very respectful and nice environment to work at
Cons
Non
Sgs
HRIS Manager (Current Employee) –  Rutherford, NJJuly 16, 2015
Interesting place to work. I love my manager. You must love your work to be an employee at SGS. Everyone is deeply committed to doing a good job. I love the environment.
Pretty decent place to work
Coal Sampler/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVJuly 3, 2015
The benefits were good they offered 401k health and life insurance. I learned a lot on how to run analysis on clean coal and sampling points in the plant. I ran analysis on coal being loaded into train cars.
Average
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILJune 13, 2015
Job made for a single life style on call 7/24 not a job you can make plans for but can make a good living at. Working in hot danderous climates,climing high towers
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Dont make no plans
Great Coworkers
Coordination (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX.April 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is having great coworkers. The down side is the lack of upward movement. Typical days cover 8 to 9 hours.
Strong company with high standards
Test Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 14, 2014
Good company that stands for high quality in objective testing of many products
Pros
Sound performance orented
Fast pace
Invoicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXApril 30, 2014
Ive learned data entry and i am able to type faster now. Im learning the oil gas and chemical side of plants and businesses. My co-workers are great actually. We are a really good team.
Good
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 20, 2014
Oncall
Good co-woker
A lot of overtime
24Hrs a day 7days a week
Pay rate
Constant thinking which makes life at work interesting.
Field Services Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Faifrield, New JerseyFebruary 2, 2014
One of the best company to work for. Colleagues are highly competitive and helpful.
productive and fun work place
Petroleum Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2014
worked long hours.
everybody got along.
i enjoyed this job very much
Ready to move onward and upward
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 16, 2013
Been with the company for 5 years and they just are not respectful to their employees.
Enjoyable Atmosphere but the benefits aren't great
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXSeptember 20, 2013
I used to enjoy coming to work everyday! I have a great group of girls that I work with but, we are not being compensated for our efforts. A typical day at work for me is speaking with the clients on issues with billing and following up on unanswered emails/phone calls. I also work in conjunction with intracompany personnel, on a daily basis, to better understand the jobs that have taken place.
Our billing group has undergone some major changes and this has hindered them on accuracy. Thus our collection group getting slammed with more and more disputed invoices. I have learnt allot in the last four years of employment with my company. I have a better knowledge of how to communicate with people to get resolution and answers. I have also learnt how to deal with those uncooperative customers that everyone else tries to avoid! Bottom line is I have learnt how to be more persistent and get the results I want in the end. I believe that the management I was under, until here recently, was one of the reasons I learnt all that I did. We had a great relationship and the advice I received has helped me gain allot of knowledge and improve my work ethics.
The only downfall is, I would like to broaden my opportunities and I do not see any room for advancement in this company.
Pros
Great atmosphere, Comfortable, Travel Time, Management, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Pay Rate, High Premiums, No Bonuses or Incentives
Dedicated to customer satisfaction
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXApril 27, 2013
A typical day at work is usually busy and so much to learn about the job, good management team.
Good co-workers and very dedicated.
Pros
Customer satisfaction guaranteed
Cons
Safety & health
It was a good experience working with such company.
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  99 Castle Coakley Christiansted 00820September 16, 2012
It was a very interesting job, I enjoyed doing my job. I enjoyed working with our Clients and taking care of their problems. I learned how important it is to get the job done right the first time around, because of the industry I was in. Management was kind of layed back because the job was getting done. I had approximately 11 employes working under my supervision and they were all easy to work with co-workers. The hardest part of the job was staying up all night to make sure the jobs go as planned and no problem existed. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a job is completed and the Clients are satisfied.
Pros
i got to work flexible hours
Cons
being on call all the time