SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive environment.
Terminal Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 23, 2016
This company is an okay company to work for. Not much to brag about other than it's a job, they pay okay for what they do and you only work 8 hours a day for 5 days, so you have plenty of time off to go to school or enjoy your family time. They are real good on safety and believe firmly in you doing your job with quality. The negative would be a lot of their work is outside in the harsh weather and in a plant environment. Benefits didn't seem to be that great, and management seems to kind of forget about you unless you are a brown noser or a mess up.
Over worked and underpaid
Leadman/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 10, 2016
overworked and underpaid
out in elements for hardly nothing
work most holidays
kill you in overtime
while you work in the elements making close to minimum wage management doesn't even want to get their shoes wet they get paid 4 times your salary
no coordination between management and crew
you get sgs handbooks thru the mail show that sgs throws all kinds of party's for the employees NOTTTTT!!!! Maybe in Baton Rouge, LA
Pros
NONE
Cons
NO BREAKS, NO JOB SECURITY
Bad management
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 21, 2016
Sgs is a very big company with very low pay. Benifits and 401k are good but pay is very low. Seems you have to be in upper management to get a leg up in the company that includes a company truck and gas card. While supervisors cut OT they sit back and have no clue about the enter workings of the job site. It seems the company is happy with 75% turnover instead of raising wages.
Pros
Insurance 401k
Cons
Pay
Use to be a great place to work but it now sucks
operator (Current Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJanuary 24, 2016
Use to be a great place to work but new supervisor who just fires everyone pay is good for the work but health benefits suck and if your no buddy buddy with the safety and main supervisor you might be screwed but good luck.
Pros
Cool people to work with
Cons
Supervisors suck
Best company I've worked for
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 9, 2015
I started with SGS PSC back in 2012 and was promoted to Team Lead two years later. I've never worked around such a great group of people who actually feel like part of my family. While I've been here, I've been able to suggest my ideas, implement processes, and improve on existing processes. The management team is very supportive and open to improvements. In order to become a great leader, you learn from the best and I really do work with the best group of people. I hope I'm here until retirement, because I don't imagine too many other companies out there like PSC. We work hard, but we also know how to have fun. I think that is the best part about working for a great company - it really doesn't feel like work!
Pros
Good benefits, 401k, competitive pay, advancement opportunities, fun/family environment
Cons
I really can't think of one
A place for somebody thats single with not a lot of family.
Railcar Technician/Crude Oil Railcar Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 15, 2016
You are told during the hiring process that you will be on a 12 hour rotating day and night shift but the day you start thats not the case. You will be working on call shifts 3-4 days a week, the unit trains that come in are never on time or are not on a schedule so you can expect a train to be there any time during the day and anytime during the night. You get a call saying the trains there at 2:30AM you have to get out of bed and go! Sometimes you have to work 16 hour shifts to catch up on your hours depending on when the trains come to just make 40 hours. You get overtime maybe once a month, very low paying job for what you're doing. You never know what you'll be working because the Crude Oil Unit train schedule gets changed daily, and you can't plan anything because you never know when or what time you'll have to work. You work with a bunch of very disrespectful people that are always negitive. This is an alright job for somebody who is single and doesn't have much family.
Pros
Hour paid lunches.
Cons
The whole workplace to be honest.
Great co workers double standard management.
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJune 23, 2016
I worked at the seadrift -Dow site . only pros about working there was the people you worked with. From our plant manger down to our unit 8 and safety men were horrible. They don't care about you or your family. All they cared about was covering the shift. Our turn over rate was crazy. Pay was awful. You had to fight to get a dollar. Worst company I ever worked for and by far the worse unit 8 and team leads and management .
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, pay
Company will stick you any chance they get
Liquid Loader (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 13, 2016
SGS at ExxonMobil will screw your over any chance they get. They expect you to learn and know everything about loading and unloading rail cars in about three weeks time. They give you test to qualify you on and the rest is things you haven't seen or were shown about. Supervisors leave the plant early then they are supposed too and if something happens it's always your fault and you get written up. Co workers talk behind your back and set you up for failure and will do anything to make themselves look good. The upper management will shake your hand and smile in your face but will stab you in the back in a second. Things brought up in safety meetings aren't acknowledged or taken care of so if something breaks or messes up your at fault automatically. They preach safety and work stop authority if you don't feel safe stop working and don't do it. Your supervisors will make you do it anyway and if something goes wrong you are to blame. All these positive reviews are from supervisors or upper management. If you don't suck up to upper management or supervisors they ride you constantly.
Pros
Meal tickets at safety meetings
Cons
Supervisors upper management make you work unsafe even if you point out unsafe conditions
Good Company.... Managment and Supervisors are OLD!!
wharehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 28, 2016
Good company... No room for advancement, supervisors are OLD and washed out!! They need military minded people to run the wharehouse not old guys that are in retirement and have no life, u will be stuck their with $starting pay at $15.50 and toping out at $18.00 after 4 years... Don't work their!! Not worth ur time..
Pros
Medical
Cons
Pay, Managment
SGS PSC gets an "A" compared to other companies
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 20, 2015
You get what you put in at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC). There are some nit-picky "cons" about my time here so far: my pay could be better, I wish I had a more visible career path, I wish I had more opportunities to see and understand the business and industry as a whole, and my workload sometimes seems more intense than some of my coworkers. I think everyone can relate to my cons because everyone feels that way, regardless of what company they work for, what they are doing, and how much money they make. We always want more and feel we "deserve better." But the bottom line is that I look forward to coming to work everyday.

At SGS PSC, I love the people, the work, job security, the benefits (awesome benefits!), the work/life balance, the challenges, the culture, the industry, the PSC "team" as a whole, and knowing that I play a part in the success of this company. There are some great people in PSC leadership roles that recognize our employees as being valuable to the company, as well recognize that employees are also human beings who sometimes have personal/family issues to deal with. Management wants to know what its employees think and will push for employees' wants and needs. I can't say all of that about previous companies I've worked for. I hear my friends gripe about the companies they work for, and I feel blessed knowing I work for a company that is not only highly successful, but also cares about me and my family and wants to hear what I have to say.

PSC depends on its employees to keep its reputation strong and positive so we can continue
  more... to grow and succeed in this industry. A big goal of PSC is to be successful by hiring, training, and retaining quality, hard-working, and safety-minded people so that we continue to be the best in this industry at what we do. The overall sense of a team effort and wanting continued improvement is strong at PSC, and it's what keeps me excited about my job and looking forward to the future.

I challenge anyone who is considering a career at SGS PSC to first promise to put in what you feel that you're worth, and then, if offered the opportunity, keep that promise. Grow. Improve. Succeed. The pros will far outweigh any of the nit-picky cons.
Pros
The employees, 401k plan employer match; insurance benefits; we have some really great supervisors and work groups
Cons
starting pay
Very good conpany to work for, with good benefits
Loader Operator/ material handler (Current Employee) –  Huntsman Houston TxMarch 16, 2016
Company could have better compenstion for ppe/ footwear, but overall rating is very good with competive salaries and base pay rates.
Pros
Very good training programs and competive salaries
Cons
Better saftey on site meetings, with customer and longer designated breaks
Bad and insecure management
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 10, 2016
The management is very insecure don't not like change or challenges. They will get rid of you if you don't go along with their ideas
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Managers in operation are ver insecure
Tank Truck Inspector (Current Employee) –  SCO DowJune 4, 2015
Great company to work for and employees are just like family. Average compensation with good benefits. Management are good and reliable people.
Pros
Great coworkers
great place to work!
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  PasadenaApril 22, 2014
I rated PSC high on the work life balance - we work hard but also have opportunities to play hard: company picnic, Family Day at Schlitterbahn, Holiday parties, ect. Most employees worked a form of shift work which allows significant amount of time off, and staff schedules were pretty flexible.
Comp and Benefits: neutral rating - they have all the normal bells and whistles. Pay for some positions could be more competitive and it took a long time to become vested.
Job Security/Advancement: Neutral - Stability was high but advancement was not as easily attained. The company is relaible and is in a state of growth and work is plentiful. Advancement is there for the right person at the right time in the right place.
Management: Above average-Generally, the management has it together and are in touch with what the front lines are doing.
Job Culture: High - At the location where I worked the culture was fantastic! Fun atmosphere, good location, it was an overall enjoyable place spend 40 hours a week.
Pros
good people, growing company
Cons
limited growth in some departments
Lazy supervisors, only care about doc-men. No advancement and No Raises
Sampler (Former Employee) –  Corpus christi txSeptember 19, 2014
You will be lead on to the company when saying the major refinery is hiring samplers for their lab (total complete bs!) Only gives you 3 uniforms for a 4 day week, will make you work on standby could be your 2nd 3rd or last day scheduled off (scheduler is a twit) will give you no information about advancement or raises, supervisors have not talked to us in almost a yr and now they decide to care about the samplers. Safety meetings will have nothing to do with the lab side, taken advantage of, work before you & your family. Bad company overall!
Cons
everything
Great company
Warehouse tech (Current Employee) –  Baton RougeJune 1, 2015
SGS petroleum service Corporation is a great company family orient, great benefits, helpful, throughout your whole employment or pre-employment. I give this company 2 thumbs up!
Pros
All good
Cons
Great company to work for.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
This is a company that really cares about the well being of their employees. As well as their families. Very Adamant about safety.
Pros
Paid lunch. Understanding of outside urgency
Good Company Overall
Ops Manager (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 27, 2015
Overall SGS is a good company. Co-workers are great and you are always learning. Hardest part is work/life balance, but overall it's a good company to work for. SGS is headed into the right direction with management. As long as you do your job and know your accountabilities/responsibilities, then you will be fine.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Distance to work; turnover
Company that cares!
training (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 30, 2015
If you can read, follow instructions, and care about doing a great job, you can have a life long career with this company and be able to provide for your family.
Mother company is based in Switzerland so you know they aren't broke.
Tankerman 2200 group. (Former Employee) –  Texas/louisianaJuly 23, 2013
Great place to work.

Dock operators could be paid a little more that they are paid.

Inspectors work way too hard for the money they make.

The tankerman group would be the best bet for anyone wanting a career with Sgs. The training is high but you get what you pay for.

It's a rotating door for tankermen who have been trained by other groups. They just don't have the proper training or they can't comply with Sgs high standard.
Pros
as long as you do your job, you will be left alone and paid well.
Cons
the insurance benefits keep going up and up. seems like it should be looked into.

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Reviews by Location