SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employer Reviews

lazy, uneducated and hypocritical management
loader (Current Employee), Pascagoula, msJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: some work experience
Cons: management, double standards and no advancement
Management cares about themselves and no one else. You have to basically nag them to bring you the required tools and ppe needed for the job. Site supervisor only supports team members who suck up to him. Constant threats of being fired for whatever they feel is important that day. Some back stabbing employees and the ones that are good employees have already or are about to quit. No matter what is said, there is no advancement opportunities with this site. Site supervisor will ask you to put aside policy and regulations to do whatever he wants you to do. Not worth the time and a lot of expectations for little money. They expect you to be on call 24/7 without on call pay. Could be a good job with management change.
Needs to improve professionalism
Office Manager (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJanuary 19, 2015
Office atmosphere is friendly and employee outings are awesome
ok
chemical loader (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LADecember 18, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: supervison
load various chemicals into railcars, trucks and ships
supervisor ok
advancement slim
Dont work for the 1800 group
Dockman (Former Employee), pasadena, texasNovember 30, 2014
Pros: too much overtime, decent pay
Cons: on call 24hrs, no guaranteed 40 but expected to be on call, high turnover for easy job, lazy supervisors, bad management, uncaring upper management
There is a reason this company is always hiring 365 days of the year. When your hired the boss will tell you hes going to see how you work, so no days off for three months while you work on call 12 to 16 hr shifts.Guess what? They do that because they just lost 5 guys who quit and gave no notice because they are tired of the way they were treated. Car breakdown? Family member in hospital? Just got out of the hospital with stiches? That's YOUR problem. Well look forward to immediate supervisor calling you six times a day when things go bad for you and tags you as a bad employee because he doesn't care and threatens to fire you for not coming to work. I was at this company for a year and a half and had enough. There is no guaranteed 40 even though your on call 24hrs and expected to go to work with a two hour notice. If its slow the boss tells you to work your days off for more hours if there is no work on your days off too bad you just wasted your time. Tough. Everyone you work with complains all the time and has no respect for their supervisor because he was the problem. They hire six guys and five quit within three months the sixth guy may last a few more months. Dock operators are always quitting or getting fired and no one in upper management cares. To them dock operators are easily replaceable but they don't consider the hardships this puts on the group covering jobs. Its surprising this place hasn't been sued. Avoid like the plague. There are tons of jobs on the ship channel I found a new job within a day of quitting.
Great career opportunity with an industry leader who cares about their employees!
Tankerman Supervisor (Current Employee), Port Arthur, TXNovember 1, 2014
Pros: first and oldest shore tankerman company, competitive wages and benefits, great co-workers, opportunities for advancement, family oriented, great company parties and trips
Cons: schedule
At a typical day of work, I will spend a small portion of the day in the office conducting safety meetings, updating employee info into personnel files, and meeting with our many customers. The remainder of the day will be devoted to field observations, conducting "tailgate" meetings, and handling field issues.

I was afforded the opportunity to train on a variety of different industry specific jobs. I have upgraded my Merchant Mariner's Credential to an LG/DL Tankerman endorsement. I was also given the opportunity to begin training our aspiring trainees. SGS-PSC was there to train and encourage me through every step in my career path.

The managerial staff are excellent in helping you achieve your career and personal goals. They have developed, in my opinion, the best training program for tankerman in the industry (A.K.A Tankerman Career Academy). They have used their vast wealth of experience and leadership to produce industry leading employees, safety records, and results.

I enjoy the competitive and family oriented co-workers that I get to work with every day. We all push each other professionally to be the best at what we do day in and day out. We all take great pride in meeting our customers' needs. We work together well on the job and have a great time together off the job at company functions.

The hardest part of all our jobs is the schedule. A 24 hour on-call schedule of 6 days on and 3 days off is what we work. If you can adjust to this schedule, you will be rewarded with a great career that is in high demand affording you great job security.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being a spokesman for my job. I, like so many, was searching desperately for a good career that I could build a life and family with. SGS-PSC gave me that opportunity!
Lazy supervisors, only care about doc-men. No advancement and No Raises
Sampler (Former Employee), Corpus christi txSeptember 19, 2014
Cons: everything
You will be lead on to the company when saying the major refinery is hiring samplers for their lab (total complete bs!) Only gives you 3 uniforms for a 4 day week, will make you work on standby could be your 2nd 3rd or last day scheduled off (scheduler is a twit) will give you no information about advancement or raises, supervisors have not talked to us in almost a yr and now they decide to care about the samplers. Safety meetings will have nothing to do with the lab side, taken advantage of, work before you & your family. Bad company overall!
Management sucks....your job comes before your family
Railroad Switchman (Former Employee), DOW PlaquemineAugust 13, 2014
Pros: some of the guys were good to work with
Cons: too many to list...but mostly pay, management, and expensive benefits
Do not...and I repeat...DO NOT take a job working for the railroad at DOW Chemical. I made that mistake. If you have half a brain you can move up the chain fairly quickly, but you will start at $14 and top out at $21 and once you are there you are stuck...that is of course unless you are good friends with the supervisors and go fishing with them. If you go fishing etc then you can be the most unprofessional employee to ever step in the doors and shoot past people that have been busting their butts for years. DOW has one of the largest switching sites in the United States, yet pay less than every other plant around the area. In the interview they tell you if you want a transfer its no problem etc etc....but talk to anyone at DOW and they will let you know once you are there you are stuck until you quit or get fired. You will be working your butt off for 11 hours a day at a minimum as they will not let you take more than a one hour break even if there is nothing for you to do (they make up busy work for you to do, and then a week later you go and undo all the work you did because now cars are in places they shouldn't be etc). The head guys over there have no clue how the railroad operates so when things go wrong it is like explaining Algebra to a kindergardener, then they don't believe anything you say and just try to make it look like the fault of one of the guys working that shift and fire them. While working there I've seen guys put in 2 weeks notices and get fired because of it, I have seen guys walk off the job because they can't take it anymore, I have seen the most unprofessional – more... supervisors I have ever seen in all my years of working. When shifts need to be filled and you have a child, be prepared for them to tell you to leave the kid with a wife/girlfriend, parent, babysitter, friend, etc....they don't care if you don't have the money for a babysitter, have been divorced or aren't together with the child's mother, have no family in the city etc. They just don't want to hear it, and they threaten to fire you because of this all the time; as well as threatening your job for everything else under the sun. When I left SGS it felt like 1000 lbs had been lifted off my shoulders. I don't know how it is at other plants as I was only at DOW but it was miserable. – less
GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!!
HR Coordinator (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 16, 2014
Pros: family feel work environment, promoting from within & feeling appreciated for the job you do for them!
Cons: i honestly haven't found a single con.
Company treats employees extremely well, really values staff & always promotes from within before looking outside when needed. Starting pay for all positions is good & our Warehouse Tech's start at $15.50, which is amazing for the area in Freeport! It's refreshing to work somewhere & have praise given to you & be rewarded for your hard work on a regular basis. I love it!
Productive and job security
Payroll Clerk/Logistics Transaction Specialist (Current Employee), Seadrift, TexasJune 18, 2014
Great company just looking to move on and seek other employment in a different area/location.
High Turn over Mediocure Training and managment
Railcar Switchman/Wash Rack (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LouisianaMay 13, 2014
Pros: all the over time you want
Cons: bad training, long hours
I applied for this company not knowing what I was getting myself into, good thing I had a backup job. They hired me as a switchman, it took them almost 4 days just to do the training videos because the guy who was suppose to train me kept getting phone calls every 5 min and he stopped. It got so bad I was waiting in his office for 2 hours waiting on him. The work wasn't bad but the management sucks, instead of doing switchman work they put me in the washrack instead. Make sure when your hired on make it clear to them that's the job you want to do. The turnover rate at Dow Chemical is so high they can never keep employees and I see why.
great place to work!
Office Professional (Former Employee), PasadenaApril 22, 2014
Pros: good people, growing company
Cons: limited growth in some departments
I rated PSC high on the work life balance - we work hard but also have opportunities to play hard: company picnic, Family Day at Schlitterbahn, Holiday parties, ect. Most employees worked a form of shift work which allows significant amount of time off, and staff schedules were pretty flexible.
Comp and Benefits: neutral rating - they have all the normal bells and whistles. Pay for some positions could be more competitive and it took a long time to become vested.
Job Security/Advancement: Neutral - Stability was high but advancement was not as easily attained. The company is relaible and is in a state of growth and work is plentiful. Advancement is there for the right person at the right time in the right place.
Management: Above average-Generally, the management has it together and are in touch with what the front lines are doing.
Job Culture: High - At the location where I worked the culture was fantastic! Fun atmosphere, good location, it was an overall enjoyable place spend 40 hours a week.
It's a source of income
Wash Rack Technician / Hopper Truck Loader (Former Employee), Taft, LAApril 2, 2014
Pros: some what flexible schedule
Cons: minimal advancement
It's a good company to get your foot in the door of plant life. No room for advancement.
Loading and unloading products using a forklift
Material Handler (Current Employee), Freeport, TXApril 1, 2014
loading drums using a two or four head picker
loading drums on pallets
loading bags
performing quality checks on product being shipped out
A really good place to work at
Shuttle Driver/ Yard Clerk (Current Employee), Dow/Bayer Plant Inst.WVFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: good money, good insurance, really nice co-workers
Cons: nothing to bad really
The Managment team here is very good they seem to really care about you and your family always asking how your family is that's nice. Looks like as long as you do your job and work hard you can move up in the company you really dont see that anymore in the work place very thankful that I am working here.
Great place to work with a great group of people.
Distrobution Specialist (Current Employee), Institute WvFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good pay, good benifits, great team environment.
Cons: no sick pay
Everyone is on point with job tasks, with a great concern for the safety and well being of the team. Great team environment along with a healthy job atmosphere. Very Professional and movitated place to work.
Recognized for Safe work performance.
Loader (Current Employee), South Charleston, WVFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: paid lunch
Great Safety attitutde. Great place to work, good managment with opportunities to advance.
Great team environment
Professional/Corporate Staff (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits package, advancement opportunities, training/continuing education opportunities
Cons: none that i can think of.
It's a well-rounded culture, family oriented company, and it provides a great work/life balance. SGS PSC is in a growing industry which provides a sense of stability and growth potential. There is a great sense of camaraderie among all of the employees, and it makes going to work everyday a pleasure.
Great people, good career opportunities in a growing field
Communications Director (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: matching 401(k) plan, short & long-term disability coverage
After working for SGS Petroleum Service Corporation for more than 12 years as a self-employed consultant, I recently decided to come on board full-time because I believe this growing company has a very bright future. Here are a few things I like about working for SGS PSC:

1) The company has many employees with 30+ years of experience. That's something you don't see often today.
2) A number of the supervisors and managers SGS PSC has today came in at the ground level and have advanced and grown with the company.
3) The company has a "family feel" but can also offer great benefits and other advantages of a big company because it is a part of The SGS Group.
4) Good work is appreciated and recognized.
Uncultured and Close Minded
Wash Rack Technician (Former Employee), Hahnville, LAAugust 6, 2013
Pros: days off
Cons: the people
A Typical Day at work was listening to people complain about each other 24/7 and then smile in their faces when they walked in the door.

The management is completely insubordinate. Its all about who you know, and how fake your smile is.

The hardest part of the job was showing up knowing everyone hstes everyone.

The most enjoyable part of the job was badging out of the gate.
Mother company is based in Switzerland so you know they aren't broke.
Tankerman 2200 group. (Former Employee), Texas/louisianaJuly 23, 2013
Pros: as long as you do your job, you will be left alone and paid well.
Cons: the insurance benefits keep going up and up. seems like it should be looked into.
Great place to work.

Dock operators could be paid a little more that they are paid.

Inspectors work way too hard for the money they make.

The tankerman group would be the best bet for anyone wanting a career with Sgs. The training is high but you get what you pay for.

It's a rotating door for tankermen who have been trained by other groups. They just don't have the proper training or they can't comply with Sgs high standard.

About SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

For more than 60 years, SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) has been committed to safely and efficiently meeting the product – Read more

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Photos