SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews

Management sucks....your job comes before your family
Railroad Switchman (Former Employee) –  DOW PlaquemineAugust 13, 2014
Do not...and I repeat...DO NOT take a job working for the railroad at DOW Chemical. I made that mistake. If you have half a brain you can move up the chain fairly quickly, but you will start at $14 and top out at $21 and once you are there you are stuck...that is of course unless you are good friends with the supervisors and go fishing with them. If you go fishing etc then you can be the most unprofessional employee to ever step in the doors and shoot past people that have been busting their butts for years. DOW has one of the largest switching sites in the United States, yet pay less than every other plant around the area. In the interview they tell you if you want a transfer its no problem etc etc....but talk to anyone at DOW and they will let you know once you are there you are stuck until you quit or get fired. You will be working your butt off for 11 hours a day at a minimum as they will not let you take more than a one hour break even if there is nothing for you to do (they make up busy work for you to do, and then a week later you go and undo all the work you did because now cars are in places they shouldn't be etc). The head guys over there have no clue how the railroad operates so when things go wrong it is like explaining Algebra to a kindergardener, then they don't believe anything you say and just try to make it look like the fault of one of the guys working that shift and fire them. While working there I've seen guys put in 2 weeks notices and get fired because of it, I have seen guys walk off the job because they can't take it anymore, I have seen the most unprofessional  more... supervisors I have ever seen in all my years of working. When shifts need to be filled and you have a child, be prepared for them to tell you to leave the kid with a wife/girlfriend, parent, babysitter, friend, etc....they don't care if you don't have the money for a babysitter, have been divorced or aren't together with the child's mother, have no family in the city etc. They just don't want to hear it, and they threaten to fire you because of this all the time; as well as threatening your job for everything else under the sun. When I left SGS it felt like 1000 lbs had been lifted off my shoulders. I don't know how it is at other plants as I was only at DOW but it was miserable.  less
Pros
some of the guys were good to work with
Cons
too many to list...but mostly pay, management, and expensive benefits
SGS PSC gets an "A" compared to other companies
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 20, 2015
You get what you put in at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC). There are some nit-picky "cons" about my time here so far: my pay could be better, I wish I had a more visible career path, I wish I had more opportunities to see and understand the business and industry as a whole, and my workload sometimes seems more intense than some of my coworkers. I think everyone can relate to my cons because everyone feels that way, regardless of what company they work for, what they are doing, and how much money they make. We always want more and feel we "deserve better." But the bottom line is that I look forward to coming to work everyday.

At SGS PSC, I love the people, the work, job security, the benefits (awesome benefits!), the work/life balance, the challenges, the culture, the industry, the PSC "team" as a whole, and knowing that I play a part in the success of this company. There are some great people in PSC leadership roles that recognize our employees as being valuable to the company, as well recognize that employees are also human beings who sometimes have personal/family issues to deal with. Management wants to know what its employees think and will push for employees' wants and needs. I can't say all of that about previous companies I've worked for. I hear my friends gripe about the companies they work for, and I feel blessed knowing I work for a company that is not only highly successful, but also cares about me and my family and wants to hear what I have to say.

PSC depends on its employees to keep its reputation strong and positive so we can continue
  more... to grow and succeed in this industry. A big goal of PSC is to be successful by hiring, training, and retaining quality, hard-working, and safety-minded people so that we continue to be the best in this industry at what we do. The overall sense of a team effort and wanting continued improvement is strong at PSC, and it's what keeps me excited about my job and looking forward to the future.

I challenge anyone who is considering a career at SGS PSC to first promise to put in what you feel that you're worth, and then, if offered the opportunity, keep that promise. Grow. Improve. Succeed. The pros will far outweigh any of the nit-picky cons.
Pros
The employees, 401k plan employer match; insurance benefits; we have some really great supervisors and work groups
Cons
starting pay
Great career opportunity with an industry leader who cares about their employees!
Tankerman Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXNovember 1, 2014
At a typical day of work, I will spend a small portion of the day in the office conducting safety meetings, updating employee info into personnel files, and meeting with our many customers. The remainder of the day will be devoted to field observations, conducting "tailgate" meetings, and handling field issues.

I was afforded the opportunity to train on a variety of different industry specific jobs. I have upgraded my Merchant Mariner's Credential to an LG/DL Tankerman endorsement. I was also given the opportunity to begin training our aspiring trainees. SGS-PSC was there to train and encourage me through every step in my career path.

The managerial staff are excellent in helping you achieve your career and personal goals. They have developed, in my opinion, the best training program for tankerman in the industry (A.K.A Tankerman Career Academy). They have used their vast wealth of experience and leadership to produce industry leading employees, safety records, and results.

I enjoy the competitive and family oriented co-workers that I get to work with every day. We all push each other professionally to be the best at what we do day in and day out. We all take great pride in meeting our customers' needs. We work together well on the job and have a great time together off the job at company functions.

The hardest part of all our jobs is the schedule. A 24 hour on-call schedule of 6 days on and 3 days off is what we work. If you can adjust to this schedule, you will be rewarded with a great career that is in high demand affording you great job security.

The most enjoyable
  more... part of my job is being a spokesman for my job. I, like so many, was searching desperately for a good career that I could build a life and family with. SGS-PSC gave me that opportunity!  less
Pros
first and oldest shore tankerman company, competitive wages and benefits, great co-workers, opportunities for advancement, family oriented, great company parties and trips
Cons
schedule
Terrible management
TCA (Former Employee) –  New OrleansJuly 9, 2013
TCA
SGS - Baton Rouge, LA
Applied for the TCA training at a ridiculous cost of $12,990. After more than a month of scheduling appointments to comply with there check list ( in which numerous mistakes were made, even giving out the wrong times, addresses, or even a complete void of pertinent information). It was amazing that a company established in1952 is so completely unorganized in a technical training program they operate two times per year. So after completing all of the interviews, physical, checklists, and even surpassing there requests to equip through my own initiative they let me go on a slight technicality that there office controls. Months wasted, go to the maritime school in Texas or Alabama, with 10 transfers and one week of classes you can receive the same license. So unless your a robot or cloned drone good luck with that inept managed company. They talk about their corporate spiel of family and integrity in reality it's quite the opposite there self themed motto should be no communication and scapegoating.
Pros
a free baseball cap.
Cons
trying to accomplish or coordinate anything.
great place to work!
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  PasadenaApril 22, 2014
I rated PSC high on the work life balance - we work hard but also have opportunities to play hard: company picnic, Family Day at Schlitterbahn, Holiday parties, ect. Most employees worked a form of shift work which allows significant amount of time off, and staff schedules were pretty flexible.
Comp and Benefits: neutral rating - they have all the normal bells and whistles. Pay for some positions could be more competitive and it took a long time to become vested.
Job Security/Advancement: Neutral - Stability was high but advancement was not as easily attained. The company is relaible and is in a state of growth and work is plentiful. Advancement is there for the right person at the right time in the right place.
Management: Above average-Generally, the management has it together and are in touch with what the front lines are doing.
Job Culture: High - At the location where I worked the culture was fantastic! Fun atmosphere, good location, it was an overall enjoyable place spend 40 hours a week.
Pros
good people, growing company
Cons
limited growth in some departments
Best company I've worked for
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 9, 2015
I started with SGS PSC back in 2012 and was promoted to Team Lead two years later. I've never worked around such a great group of people who actually feel like part of my family. While I've been here, I've been able to suggest my ideas, implement processes, and improve on existing processes. The management team is very supportive and open to improvements. In order to become a great leader, you learn from the best and I really do work with the best group of people. I hope I'm here until retirement, because I don't imagine too many other companies out there like PSC. We work hard, but we also know how to have fun. I think that is the best part about working for a great company - it really doesn't feel like work!
Pros
Good benefits, 401k, competitive pay, advancement opportunities, fun/family environment
Cons
I really can't think of one
lazy, uneducated and hypocritical management
loader (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, msJanuary 22, 2015
Management cares about themselves and no one else. You have to basically nag them to bring you the required tools and ppe needed for the job. Site supervisor only supports team members who suck up to him. Constant threats of being fired for whatever they feel is important that day. Some back stabbing employees and the ones that are good employees have already or are about to quit. No matter what is said, there is no advancement opportunities with this site. Site supervisor will ask you to put aside policy and regulations to do whatever he wants you to do. Not worth the time and a lot of expectations for little money. They expect you to be on call 24/7 without on call pay. Could be a good job with management change.
Pros
some work experience
Cons
management, double standards and no advancement
Great people, good career opportunities in a growing field
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 10, 2014
After working for SGS Petroleum Service Corporation for more than 12 years as a self-employed consultant, I recently decided to come on board full-time because I believe this growing company has a very bright future. Here are a few things I like about working for SGS PSC:

1) The company has many employees with 30+ years of experience. That's something you don't see often today.
2) A number of the supervisors and managers SGS PSC has today came in at the ground level and have advanced and grown with the company.
3) The company has a "family feel" but can also offer great benefits and other advantages of a big company because it is a part of The SGS Group.
4) Good work is appreciated and recognized.
Pros
matching 401(k) plan, short & long-term disability coverage
Management was absolutely terrible
Railcar Unloader (Former Employee) –  Chalmette, LAApril 15, 2013
The time I worked with SGS PSC, me and everyone else on the crew quickly learned that everyone was trying to screw you over. All upper management is extremely phony and will pretend to be your closest friend, but won't hesitate to try and get you in trouble. The work wasn't hard at all, but the managers always made the job way harder than it is. We would do the work very safely and very efficiently, but it was never enough.We were always lied to and they all pick favorites. Everyday, whenever our supervisor would have a speech, the entire crew would just listen and try not to laugh at all the lies we were being told. The job would not be bad at all if it wasn't for the supervisor.
Pros
decent pay for the work you were doing.
Cons
the work environment and crew is terrific
Good place to start out with and aquire expeience
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMarch 30, 2015
A typical day consists of loading tank trucks and rail cars, unloading raw material and maintaining a safe and clean work environment. I've learned the importance of working safe and how much value it adds to my work. We have a good management team that is always willing to help any problem that may come up. I have a good set of co-workers that set the following shift up for success. The hardest part of my job would have to be trying to better myself every day. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the experience and knowledge I'm obtaining.
Pros
Lots of overtime, great work environment, very supportive and encouraging staff
Cons
Pay could be better, health coverage isn't very good, no room for advancement
High Turn over Mediocure Training and managment
Railcar Switchman/Wash Rack (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LouisianaMay 13, 2014
I applied for this company not knowing what I was getting myself into, good thing I had a backup job. They hired me as a switchman, it took them almost 4 days just to do the training videos because the guy who was suppose to train me kept getting phone calls every 5 min and he stopped. It got so bad I was waiting in his office for 2 hours waiting on him. The work wasn't bad but the management sucks, instead of doing switchman work they put me in the washrack instead. Make sure when your hired on make it clear to them that's the job you want to do. The turnover rate at Dow Chemical is so high they can never keep employees and I see why.
Pros
all the over time you want
Cons
bad training, long hours
Mother company is based in Switzerland so you know they aren't broke.
Tankerman 2200 group. (Former Employee) –  Texas/louisianaJuly 23, 2013
Great place to work.

Dock operators could be paid a little more that they are paid.

Inspectors work way too hard for the money they make.

The tankerman group would be the best bet for anyone wanting a career with Sgs. The training is high but you get what you pay for.

It's a rotating door for tankermen who have been trained by other groups. They just don't have the proper training or they can't comply with Sgs high standard.
Pros
as long as you do your job, you will be left alone and paid well.
Cons
the insurance benefits keep going up and up. seems like it should be looked into.
Lazy supervisors, only care about doc-men. No advancement and No Raises
Sampler (Former Employee) –  Corpus christi txSeptember 19, 2014
You will be lead on to the company when saying the major refinery is hiring samplers for their lab (total complete bs!) Only gives you 3 uniforms for a 4 day week, will make you work on standby could be your 2nd 3rd or last day scheduled off (scheduler is a twit) will give you no information about advancement or raises, supervisors have not talked to us in almost a yr and now they decide to care about the samplers. Safety meetings will have nothing to do with the lab side, taken advantage of, work before you & your family. Bad company overall!
Cons
everything
GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!!
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXJuly 16, 2014
Company treats employees extremely well, really values staff & always promotes from within before looking outside when needed. Starting pay for all positions is good & our Warehouse Tech's start at $15.50, which is amazing for the area in Freeport! It's refreshing to work somewhere & have praise given to you & be rewarded for your hard work on a regular basis. I love it!
Pros
family feel work environment, promoting from within & feeling appreciated for the job you do for them!
Cons
i honestly haven't found a single con.
Over worked and underpaid
Leadman/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 10, 2016
overworked and underpaid
out in elements for hardly nothing
work most holidays
kill you in overtime
while you work in the elements making close to minimum wage management doesn't even want to get their shoes wet they get paid 4 times your salary
no coordination between management and crew
you get sgs handbooks thru the mail show that sgs throws all kinds of party's for the employees NOTTTTT!!!! Maybe in Baton Rouge, LA
Pros
NONE
Cons
NO BREAKS, NO JOB SECURITY
Uncultured and Close Minded
Wash Rack Technician (Former Employee) –  Hahnville, LAAugust 6, 2013
A Typical Day at work was listening to people complain about each other 24/7 and then smile in their faces when they walked in the door.

The management is completely insubordinate. Its all about who you know, and how fake your smile is.

The hardest part of the job was showing up knowing everyone hstes everyone.

The most enjoyable part of the job was badging out of the gate.
Pros
days off
Cons
the people
A really good place to work at
Shuttle Driver/ Yard Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dow/Bayer Plant Inst.WVFebruary 25, 2014
The Managment team here is very good they seem to really care about you and your family always asking how your family is that's nice. Looks like as long as you do your job and work hard you can move up in the company you really dont see that anymore in the work place very thankful that I am working here.
Pros
good money, good insurance, really nice co-workers
Cons
nothing to bad really
Good Company Overall
Ops Manager (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 27, 2015
Overall SGS is a good company. Co-workers are great and you are always learning. Hardest part is work/life balance, but overall it's a good company to work for. SGS is headed into the right direction with management. As long as you do your job and know your accountabilities/responsibilities, then you will be fine.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Distance to work; turnover
PAY/MANAGEMENT SUCKS
TCCC (Current Employee) –  Dow PlaquemineFebruary 22, 2015
When you first start they promise you the world 6 months in you see it isn't true...no break time promised advancement opportunities doesn't happen. It's all about who you know and how well can you suck up. Not holiday pay or any other incentive pay what so ever. MANAGEMENT TEAM SUCKS!!!!!!
Pros
co workers
Cons
no breaks no room for advancement bottomless promises
Great place to work with a great group of people.
Distrobution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Institute WvFebruary 17, 2014
Everyone is on point with job tasks, with a great concern for the safety and well being of the team. Great team environment along with a healthy job atmosphere. Very Professional and movitated place to work.
Pros
good pay, good benifits, great team environment.
Cons
no sick pay