SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews

Tank Truck Inspector (Current Employee), SCO DowJune 4, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers
Cons: None
Great company to work for and employees are just like family. Average compensation with good benefits. Management are good and reliable people.
Great company
Warehouse tech (Current Employee), Baton RougeJune 1, 2015
Pros: All good
Cons: None
SGS petroleum service Corporation is a great company family orient, great benefits, helpful, throughout your whole employment or pre-employment. I give this company 2 thumbs up!
work
Switchman/Locomotive Engineer/Brakeman (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 15, 2015
safety at working on new Equipment teaching new employees we all work as a team not having the equipment to complete the job going home safe
productiv e and fun palce to work
warehouse tech (Current Employee), baton rouge laMay 7, 2015
Pros: work hours, pay
Cons: limit on ot sometimes
its a awesome company to work for nothing bad to say ,the heat is the hard part.. I work on the production line , the management is pretty cool, I enjoy working with my co workers, I learned how rubber is made
Dock operator (Current Employee), Garyville laApril 2, 2015
Good place to work. A company that shows you all there is to know about servicing the customer. Gives important tools to do your job safe.
Great place to work.
administrative assistant (Current Employee), garyville la. marathon petroleumApril 2, 2015
Pros: Very caring people
I am grateful to work for this company. Great place to work. I am looking forward to learning a all there is to know about SGS
Good place to start out with and aquire expeience
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Lots of overtime, great work environment, very supportive and encouraging staff
Cons: Pay could be better, health coverage isn't very good, no room for advancement
A typical day consists of loading tank trucks and rail cars, unloading raw material and maintaining a safe and clean work environment. I've learned the importance of working safe and how much value it adds to my work. We have a good management team that is always willing to help any problem that may come up. I have a good set of co-workers that set the following shift up for success. The hardest part of my job would have to be trying to better myself every day. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the experience and knowledge I'm obtaining.
PAY/MANAGEMENT SUCKS
TCCC (Current Employee), Dow PlaquemineFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: no breaks no room for advancement bottomless promises
When you first start they promise you the world 6 months in you see it isn't true...no break time promised advancement opportunities doesn't happen. It's all about who you know and how well can you suck up. Not holiday pay or any other incentive pay what so ever. MANAGEMENT TEAM SUCKS!!!!!!
lazy, uneducated and hypocritical management
loader (Current Employee), Pascagoula, msJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: some work experience
Cons: management, double standards and no advancement
Management cares about themselves and no one else. You have to basically nag them to bring you the required tools and ppe needed for the job. Site supervisor only supports team members who suck up to him. Constant threats of being fired for whatever they feel is important that day. Some back stabbing employees and the ones that are good employees have already or are about to quit. No matter what is said, there is no advancement opportunities with this site. Site supervisor will ask you to put aside policy and regulations to do whatever he wants you to do. Not worth the time and a lot of expectations for little money. They expect you to be on call 24/7 without on call pay. Could be a good job with management change.
Needs to improve professionalism
Office Manager (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJanuary 19, 2015
Office atmosphere is friendly and employee outings are awesome
ok
chemical loader (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LADecember 18, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: supervison
load various chemicals into railcars, trucks and ships
supervisor ok
advancement slim
Great career opportunity with an industry leader who cares about their employees!
Tankerman Supervisor (Current Employee), Port Arthur, TXNovember 1, 2014
Pros: first and oldest shore tankerman company, competitive wages and benefits, great co-workers, opportunities for advancement, family oriented, great company parties and trips
Cons: schedule
At a typical day of work, I will spend a small portion of the day in the office conducting safety meetings, updating employee info into personnel files, and meeting with our many customers. The remainder of the day will be devoted to field observations, conducting "tailgate" meetings, and handling field issues.

I was afforded the opportunity to train on a variety of different industry specific jobs. I have upgraded my Merchant Mariner's Credential to an LG/DL Tankerman endorsement. I was also given the opportunity to begin training our aspiring trainees. SGS-PSC was there to train and encourage – more... me through every step in my career path.

The managerial staff are excellent in helping you achieve your career and personal goals. They have developed, in my opinion, the best training program for tankerman in the industry (A.K.A Tankerman Career Academy). They have used their vast wealth of experience and leadership to produce industry leading employees, safety records, and results.

I enjoy the competitive and family oriented co-workers that I get to work with every day. We all push each other professionally to be the best at what we do day in and day out. We all take great pride in meeting our customers' needs. We work together well on the job and have a great time together off the job at company functions.

The hardest part of all our jobs is the schedule. A 24 hour on-call schedule of 6 days on and 3 days off is what we work. If you can adjust to this schedule, you will be rewarded with a great career that is in high demand affording you great job security.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being a spokesman for my job. I, like so many, was searching desperately for a good career that I could build a life and family with. SGS-PSC gave me that opportunity! – less
Lazy supervisors, only care about doc-men. No advancement and No Raises
Sampler (Former Employee), Corpus christi txSeptember 19, 2014
Cons: everything
You will be lead on to the company when saying the major refinery is hiring samplers for their lab (total complete bs!) Only gives you 3 uniforms for a 4 day week, will make you work on standby could be your 2nd 3rd or last day scheduled off (scheduler is a twit) will give you no information about advancement or raises, supervisors have not talked to us in almost a yr and now they decide to care about the samplers. Safety meetings will have nothing to do with the lab side, taken advantage of, work before you & your family. Bad company overall!
Management sucks....your job comes before your family
Railroad Switchman (Former Employee), DOW PlaquemineAugust 13, 2014
Pros: some of the guys were good to work with
Cons: too many to list...but mostly pay, management, and expensive benefits
Do not...and I repeat...DO NOT take a job working for the railroad at DOW Chemical. I made that mistake. If you have half a brain you can move up the chain fairly quickly, but you will start at $14 and top out at $21 and once you are there you are stuck...that is of course unless you are good friends with the supervisors and go fishing with them. If you go fishing etc then you can be the most unprofessional employee to ever step in the doors and shoot past people that have been busting their butts for years. DOW has one of the largest switching sites in the United States, yet pay less than every – more... other plant around the area. In the interview they tell you if you want a transfer its no problem etc etc....but talk to anyone at DOW and they will let you know once you are there you are stuck until you quit or get fired. You will be working your butt off for 11 hours a day at a minimum as they will not let you take more than a one hour break even if there is nothing for you to do (they make up busy work for you to do, and then a week later you go and undo all the work you did because now cars are in places they shouldn't be etc). The head guys over there have no clue how the railroad operates so when things go wrong it is like explaining Algebra to a kindergardener, then they don't believe anything you say and just try to make it look like the fault of one of the guys working that shift and fire them. While working there I've seen guys put in 2 weeks notices and get fired because of it, I have seen guys walk off the job because they can't take it anymore, I have seen the most unprofessional supervisors I have ever seen in all my years of working. When shifts need to be filled and you have a child, be prepared for them to tell you to leave the kid with a wife/girlfriend, parent, babysitter, friend, etc....they don't care if you don't have the money for a babysitter, have been divorced or aren't together with the child's mother, have no family in the city etc. They just don't want to hear it, and they threaten to fire you because of this all the time; as well as threatening your job for everything else under the sun. When I left SGS it felt like 1000 lbs had been lifted off my shoulders. I don't know how it is at other plants as I was only at DOW but it was miserable. – less
GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!!
HR Coordinator (Current Employee), Freeport, TXJuly 16, 2014
Pros: family feel work environment, promoting from within & feeling appreciated for the job you do for them!
Cons: i honestly haven't found a single con.
Company treats employees extremely well, really values staff & always promotes from within before looking outside when needed. Starting pay for all positions is good & our Warehouse Tech's start at $15.50, which is amazing for the area in Freeport! It's refreshing to work somewhere & have praise given to you & be rewarded for your hard work on a regular basis. I love it!
Productive and job security
Payroll Clerk/Logistics Transaction Specialist (Current Employee), Seadrift, TexasJune 18, 2014
Great company just looking to move on and seek other employment in a different area/location.
High Turn over Mediocure Training and managment
Railcar Switchman/Wash Rack (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LouisianaMay 13, 2014
Pros: all the over time you want
Cons: bad training, long hours
I applied for this company not knowing what I was getting myself into, good thing I had a backup job. They hired me as a switchman, it took them almost 4 days just to do the training videos because the guy who was suppose to train me kept getting phone calls every 5 min and he stopped. It got so bad I was waiting in his office for 2 hours waiting on him. The work wasn't bad but the management sucks, instead of doing switchman work they put me in the washrack instead. Make sure when your hired on make it clear to them that's the job you want to do. The turnover rate at Dow Chemical is so high they can never keep employees and I see why.
great place to work!
Office Professional (Former Employee), PasadenaApril 22, 2014
Pros: good people, growing company
Cons: limited growth in some departments
I rated PSC high on the work life balance - we work hard but also have opportunities to play hard: company picnic, Family Day at Schlitterbahn, Holiday parties, ect. Most employees worked a form of shift work which allows significant amount of time off, and staff schedules were pretty flexible.
Comp and Benefits: neutral rating - they have all the normal bells and whistles. Pay for some positions could be more competitive and it took a long time to become vested.
Job Security/Advancement: Neutral - Stability was high but advancement was not as easily attained. The company is relaible and is in a state of growth and work is plentiful. Advancement is there for the right person at the right time in the right place.
Management: Above average-Generally, the management has it together and are in touch with what the front lines are doing.
Job Culture: High - At the location where I worked the culture was fantastic! Fun atmosphere, good location, it was an overall enjoyable place spend 40 hours a week.
It's a source of income
Wash Rack Technician / Hopper Truck Loader (Former Employee), Taft, LAApril 2, 2014
Pros: some what flexible schedule
Cons: minimal advancement
It's a good company to get your foot in the door of plant life. No room for advancement.
Loading and unloading products using a forklift
Material Handler (Current Employee), Freeport, TXApril 1, 2014
loading drums using a two or four head picker
loading drums on pallets
loading bags
performing quality checks on product being shipped out

About SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

For more than 60 years, SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) has been committed to safely and efficiently meeting the product – Read more

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Salaries

Entry Level Cook
$33,500 per year

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Photos

Just another day at the "office" for a few of our SGS PSC tankermen.
One-on-one field training with a Tankerman Career Academy student and instructor.
A dock operator at work at plant operation in south Louisiana