SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews

Good Company Overall
Ops Manager (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Distance to work; turnover
Overall SGS is a good company. Co-workers are great and you are always learning. Hardest part is work/life balance, but overall it's a good company to work for. SGS is headed into the right direction with management. As long as you do your job and know your accountabilities/responsibilities, then you will be fine.
SGS PSC gets an "A" compared to other companies
Human Resources (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 20, 2015
Pros: The employees, 401k plan employer match; insurance benefits; we have some really great supervisors and work groups
Cons: starting pay
You get what you put in at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC). There are some nit-picky "cons" about my time here so far: my pay could be better, I wish I had a more visible career path, I wish I had more opportunities to see and understand the business and industry as a whole, and my workload sometimes seems more intense than some of my coworkers. I think everyone can relate to my cons because everyone feels that way, regardless of what company they work for, what they are doing, and how much money they make. We always want more and feel we "deserve better." But the bottom line is that – more... I look forward to coming to work everyday.

At SGS PSC, I love the people, the work, job security, the benefits (awesome benefits!), the work/life balance, the challenges, the culture, the industry, the PSC "team" as a whole, and knowing that I play a part in the success of this company. There are some great people in PSC leadership roles that recognize our employees as being valuable to the company, as well recognize that employees are also human beings who sometimes have personal/family issues to deal with. Management wants to know what its employees think and will push for employees' wants and needs. I can't say all of that about previous companies I've worked for. I hear my friends gripe about the companies they work for, and I feel blessed knowing I work for a company that is not only highly successful, but also cares about me and my family and wants to hear what I have to say.

PSC depends on its employees to keep its reputation strong and positive so we can continue to grow and succeed in this industry. A big goal of PSC is to be successful by hiring, training, and retaining quality, hard-working, and safety-minded people so that we continue to be the best in this industry at what we do. The overall sense of a team effort and wanting continued improvement is strong at PSC, and it's what keeps me excited about my job and looking forward to the future.

I challenge anyone who is considering a career at SGS PSC to first promise to put in what you feel that you're worth, and then, if offered the opportunity, keep that promise. Grow. Improve. Succeed. The pros will far outweigh any of the nit-picky cons. – less
Good people but bad turnover
Loader liquid and powder (Current Employee), PlaquemineAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Great family atmosphere
Cons: Low pay for quality and work load
The turnover makes too much overtime and gives no real time off. They are quick to fire and slow to hire. This makes for a over worked hostile inverment. Cause if you mess up it may be your last day
Productive workplace and good management
Solids handling tech (Current Employee), LouisianaAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Overtime
A good company to work for with room for advancement. Would be a good company to get experience with. No cons that i have noticed but the job is nice.
Best Company to work for
Warehouse Tech (Current Employee), Baton RougeAugust 20, 2015
Pros: ALL
Cons: NONE
SGS is a really good company to work for ...very family oriented your not just another number. I enjoy and look forward to going. to work every day and night ...good life balance . great supervisors and managers. thanks SGS
Best company I've worked for
Team Lead (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, 401k, competitive pay, advancement opportunities, fun/family environment
Cons: I really can't think of one
I started with SGS PSC back in 2012 and was promoted to Team Lead two years later. I've never worked around such a great group of people who actually feel like part of my family. While I've been here, I've been able to suggest my ideas, implement processes, and improve on existing processes. The management team is very supportive and open to improvements. In order to become a great leader, you learn from the best and I really do work with the best group of people. I hope I'm here until retirement, because I don't imagine too many other companies out there like PSC. We work hard, but we also know how to have fun. I think that is the best part about working for a great company - it really doesn't feel like work!
Safe work environment
Lead TANKTRUCK Trainer (Former Employee), Texas City, TXJune 10, 2015
Safety a priority.
Management communicates well with others.
Open door policy.
Supervisors ensure you have what you need to successfully perform your job.
Tank Truck Inspector (Current Employee), SCO DowJune 4, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers
Cons: None
Great company to work for and employees are just like family. Average compensation with good benefits. Management are good and reliable people.
Great company
Warehouse tech (Current Employee), Baton RougeJune 1, 2015
Pros: All good
Cons: None
SGS petroleum service Corporation is a great company family orient, great benefits, helpful, throughout your whole employment or pre-employment. I give this company 2 thumbs up!
work
Switchman/Locomotive Engineer/Brakeman (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMay 15, 2015
safety at working on new Equipment teaching new employees we all work as a team not having the equipment to complete the job going home safe
productiv e and fun palce to work
warehouse tech (Current Employee), baton rouge laMay 7, 2015
Pros: work hours, pay
Cons: limit on ot sometimes
its a awesome company to work for nothing bad to say ,the heat is the hard part.. I work on the production line , the management is pretty cool, I enjoy working with my co workers, I learned how rubber is made
Dock operator (Current Employee), Garyville laApril 2, 2015
Good place to work. A company that shows you all there is to know about servicing the customer. Gives important tools to do your job safe.
Great place to work.
administrative assistant (Current Employee), garyville la. marathon petroleumApril 2, 2015
Pros: Very caring people
I am grateful to work for this company. Great place to work. I am looking forward to learning a all there is to know about SGS
Good place to start out with and aquire expeience
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Lots of overtime, great work environment, very supportive and encouraging staff
Cons: Pay could be better, health coverage isn't very good, no room for advancement
A typical day consists of loading tank trucks and rail cars, unloading raw material and maintaining a safe and clean work environment. I've learned the importance of working safe and how much value it adds to my work. We have a good management team that is always willing to help any problem that may come up. I have a good set of co-workers that set the following shift up for success. The hardest part of my job would have to be trying to better myself every day. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the experience and knowledge I'm obtaining.
PAY/MANAGEMENT SUCKS
TCCC (Current Employee), Dow PlaquemineFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: no breaks no room for advancement bottomless promises
When you first start they promise you the world 6 months in you see it isn't true...no break time promised advancement opportunities doesn't happen. It's all about who you know and how well can you suck up. Not holiday pay or any other incentive pay what so ever. MANAGEMENT TEAM SUCKS!!!!!!
lazy, uneducated and hypocritical management
loader (Current Employee), Pascagoula, msJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: some work experience
Cons: management, double standards and no advancement
Management cares about themselves and no one else. You have to basically nag them to bring you the required tools and ppe needed for the job. Site supervisor only supports team members who suck up to him. Constant threats of being fired for whatever they feel is important that day. Some back stabbing employees and the ones that are good employees have already or are about to quit. No matter what is said, there is no advancement opportunities with this site. Site supervisor will ask you to put aside policy and regulations to do whatever he wants you to do. Not worth the time and a lot of expectations for little money. They expect you to be on call 24/7 without on call pay. Could be a good job with management change.
Needs to improve professionalism
Office Manager (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJanuary 19, 2015
Office atmosphere is friendly and employee outings are awesome
ok
chemical loader (Former Employee), Plaquemine, LADecember 18, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: supervison
load various chemicals into railcars, trucks and ships
supervisor ok
advancement slim
Great career opportunity with an industry leader who cares about their employees!
Tankerman Supervisor (Current Employee), Port Arthur, TXNovember 1, 2014
Pros: first and oldest shore tankerman company, competitive wages and benefits, great co-workers, opportunities for advancement, family oriented, great company parties and trips
Cons: schedule
At a typical day of work, I will spend a small portion of the day in the office conducting safety meetings, updating employee info into personnel files, and meeting with our many customers. The remainder of the day will be devoted to field observations, conducting "tailgate" meetings, and handling field issues.

I was afforded the opportunity to train on a variety of different industry specific jobs. I have upgraded my Merchant Mariner's Credential to an LG/DL Tankerman endorsement. I was also given the opportunity to begin training our aspiring trainees. SGS-PSC was there to train and encourage – more... me through every step in my career path.

The managerial staff are excellent in helping you achieve your career and personal goals. They have developed, in my opinion, the best training program for tankerman in the industry (A.K.A Tankerman Career Academy). They have used their vast wealth of experience and leadership to produce industry leading employees, safety records, and results.

I enjoy the competitive and family oriented co-workers that I get to work with every day. We all push each other professionally to be the best at what we do day in and day out. We all take great pride in meeting our customers' needs. We work together well on the job and have a great time together off the job at company functions.

The hardest part of all our jobs is the schedule. A 24 hour on-call schedule of 6 days on and 3 days off is what we work. If you can adjust to this schedule, you will be rewarded with a great career that is in high demand affording you great job security.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being a spokesman for my job. I, like so many, was searching desperately for a good career that I could build a life and family with. SGS-PSC gave me that opportunity! – less
Lazy supervisors, only care about doc-men. No advancement and No Raises
Sampler (Former Employee), Corpus christi txSeptember 19, 2014
Cons: everything
You will be lead on to the company when saying the major refinery is hiring samplers for their lab (total complete bs!) Only gives you 3 uniforms for a 4 day week, will make you work on standby could be your 2nd 3rd or last day scheduled off (scheduler is a twit) will give you no information about advancement or raises, supervisors have not talked to us in almost a yr and now they decide to care about the samplers. Safety meetings will have nothing to do with the lab side, taken advantage of, work before you & your family. Bad company overall!
Headquarters