SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Loading cargo ships
Marine Dock operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 30, 2016
On call schedule for going to different chemical plants/terminals to load or discharge cargo ships. You hook up boats with heavy large hoses either by crane and wait all day for transfer. Ship team man helps you with the transfer making sure no leaks occur. All i can say this is not chemical plant job and its not for everyone. Pay is good and you need a thick skin to work with these people. I quit one month, did not like traveling places around town at anytime. There is a huge responsibly in this job, easy to get fired if you don't know what you doing. Good paying job although, $17.5 with overtime. You are in a different crew every time and loading different chemicals. You have to bring your provided equipment from your car to the docks every time which is annoying. LIfe vest must be work through out most of the shift at most docks. This job was not for me at all, did it for plant work to go in to be an operator, wrong step. Job culture is definitely a negative some of these guys you trained were down on rude.
Pros
Pay, experience
Cons
wearing PPE, co-workers/bosses/, training
A place for somebody thats single with not a lot of family.
Railcar Technician/Crude Oil Railcar Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 15, 2016
You are told during the hiring process that you will be on a 12 hour rotating day and night shift but the day you start thats not the case. You will be working on call shifts 3-4 days a week, the unit trains that come in are never on time or are not on a schedule so you can expect a train to be there any time during the day and anytime during the night. You get a call saying the trains there at 2:30AM you have to get out of bed and go! Sometimes you have to work 16 hour shifts to catch up on your hours depending on when the trains come to just make 40 hours. You get overtime maybe once a month, very low paying job for what you're doing. You never know what you'll be working because the Crude Oil Unit train schedule gets changed daily, and you can't plan anything because you never know when or what time you'll have to work. You work with a bunch of very disrespectful people that are always negitive. This is an alright job for somebody who is single and doesn't have much family.
Pros
Hour paid lunches.
Cons
The whole workplace to be honest.

Comment – July 20, 2016

We are sorry to hear that your experience working for our company was not more positive. Our business is a 24/7 operation, with work schedules at many of our sites revolving around changing customer demands, fluctuating market conditions, and unpredictable shipping schedules. We can certainly appreciate that an on-call work schedule is not a good fit for everyone. That is why our recruiters and supervisors spend a good bit of time discussing the work schedule during the interviewing and selection process.

Company will stick you any chance they get
Liquid Loader (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 13, 2016
SGS at ExxonMobil will screw your over any chance they get. They expect you to learn and know everything about loading and unloading rail cars in about three weeks time. They give you test to qualify you on and the rest is things you haven't seen or were shown about. Supervisors leave the plant early then they are supposed too and if something happens it's always your fault and you get written up. Co workers talk behind your back and set you up for failure and will do anything to make themselves look good. The upper management will shake your hand and smile in your face but will stab you in the back in a second. Things brought up in safety meetings aren't acknowledged or taken care of so if something breaks or messes up your at fault automatically. They preach safety and work stop authority if you don't feel safe stop working and don't do it. Your supervisors will make you do it anyway and if something goes wrong you are to blame. All these positive reviews are from supervisors or upper management. If you don't suck up to upper management or supervisors they ride you constantly.
Pros
Meal tickets at safety meetings
Cons
Supervisors upper management make you work unsafe even if you point out unsafe conditions
Bad and insecure management
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 10, 2016
The management is very insecure don't not like change or challenges. They will get rid of you if you don't go along with their ideas
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Managers in operation are ver insecure
Great co workers double standard management.
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJune 23, 2016
I worked at the seadrift -Dow site . only pros about working there was the people you worked with. From our plant manger down to our unit 8 and safety men were horrible. They don't care about you or your family. All they cared about was covering the shift. Our turn over rate was crazy. Pay was awful. You had to fight to get a dollar. Worst company I ever worked for and by far the worse unit 8 and team leads and management .
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, pay
Good Company.... Managment and Supervisors are OLD!!
wharehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 28, 2016
Good company... No room for advancement, supervisors are OLD and washed out!! They need military minded people to run the wharehouse not old guys that are in retirement and have no life, u will be stuck their with $starting pay at $15.50 and toping out at $18.00 after 4 years... Don't work their!! Not worth ur time..
Pros
Medical
Cons
Pay, Managment
Very good conpany to work for, with good benefits
Loader Operator/ material handler (Current Employee) –  Huntsman Houston TxMarch 16, 2016
Company could have better compenstion for ppe/ footwear, but overall rating is very good with competive salaries and base pay rates.
Pros
Very good training programs and competive salaries
Cons
Better saftey on site meetings, with customer and longer designated breaks
Great company to work for.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
This is a company that really cares about the well being of their employees. As well as their families. Very Adamant about safety.
Pros
Paid lunch. Understanding of outside urgency
Cool job
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMarch 16, 2016
It's ok good job to get plant experience very easy going people very easy to get along with.everyone works together. Nothing to hard about the job crazy schedule though.
Productive environment.
Terminal Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 23, 2016
This company is an okay company to work for. Not much to brag about other than it's a job, they pay okay for what they do and you only work 8 hours a day for 5 days, so you have plenty of time off to go to school or enjoy your family time. They are real good on safety and believe firmly in you doing your job with quality. The negative would be a lot of their work is outside in the harsh weather and in a plant environment. Benefits didn't seem to be that great, and management seems to kind of forget about you unless you are a brown noser or a mess up.
Bad management
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 21, 2016
Sgs is a very big company with very low pay. Benifits and 401k are good but pay is very low. Seems you have to be in upper management to get a leg up in the company that includes a company truck and gas card. While supervisors cut OT they sit back and have no clue about the enter workings of the job site. It seems the company is happy with 75% turnover instead of raising wages.
Pros
Insurance 401k
Cons
Pay
Use to be a great place to work but it now sucks
operator (Current Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJanuary 24, 2016
Use to be a great place to work but new supervisor who just fires everyone pay is good for the work but health benefits suck and if your no buddy buddy with the safety and main supervisor you might be screwed but good luck.
Pros
Cool people to work with
Cons
Supervisors suck
Over worked and underpaid
Leadman/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 10, 2016
overworked and underpaid
out in elements for hardly nothing
work most holidays
kill you in overtime
while you work in the elements making close to minimum wage management doesn't even want to get their shoes wet they get paid 4 times your salary
no coordination between management and crew
you get sgs handbooks thru the mail show that sgs throws all kinds of party's for the employees NOTTTTT!!!! Maybe in Baton Rouge, LA
Pros
NONE
Cons
NO BREAKS, NO JOB SECURITY
Company that cares!
training (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 30, 2015
If you can read, follow instructions, and care about doing a great job, you can have a life long career with this company and be able to provide for your family.
Bad
Crew Leader/Helper (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 4, 2015
Bad management. They did not train me properly for what I was doing at the time. Constant accident at the site due to bad training. Pay was terrible too.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, bad pay
Productive and Fun work place`
PVC LOADER (Current Employee) –  PLAQUMINESeptember 3, 2015
I just started out at SGS as a pvc loader. The pay is great and competitive. I enjoy coming to work. Work environment is great and they made me feel like I was apart of the family from day one.
Good Company Overall
Ops Manager (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 27, 2015
Overall SGS is a good company. Co-workers are great and you are always learning. Hardest part is work/life balance, but overall it's a good company to work for. SGS is headed into the right direction with management. As long as you do your job and know your accountabilities/responsibilities, then you will be fine.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Distance to work; turnover
SGS PSC gets an "A" compared to other companies
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 20, 2015
You get what you put in at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC). There are some nit-picky "cons" about my time here so far: my pay could be better, I wish I had a more visible career path, I wish I had more opportunities to see and understand the business and industry as a whole, and my workload sometimes seems more intense than some of my coworkers. I think everyone can relate to my cons because everyone feels that way, regardless of what company they work for, what they are doing, and how much money they make. We always want more and feel we "deserve better." But the bottom line is that I look forward to coming to work everyday.

At SGS PSC, I love the people, the work, job security, the benefits (awesome benefits!), the work/life balance, the challenges, the culture, the industry, the PSC "team" as a whole, and knowing that I play a part in the success of this company. There are some great people in PSC leadership roles that recognize our employees as being valuable to the company, as well recognize that employees are also human beings who sometimes have personal/family issues to deal with. Management wants to know what its employees think and will push for employees' wants and needs. I can't say all of that about previous companies I've worked for. I hear my friends gripe about the companies they work for, and I feel blessed knowing I work for a company that is not only highly successful, but also cares about me and my family and wants to hear what I have to say.

PSC depends on its employees to keep its reputation strong and positive so we can continue
  more... to grow and succeed in this industry. A big goal of PSC is to be successful by hiring, training, and retaining quality, hard-working, and safety-minded people so that we continue to be the best in this industry at what we do. The overall sense of a team effort and wanting continued improvement is strong at PSC, and it's what keeps me excited about my job and looking forward to the future.

I challenge anyone who is considering a career at SGS PSC to first promise to put in what you feel that you're worth, and then, if offered the opportunity, keep that promise. Grow. Improve. Succeed. The pros will far outweigh any of the nit-picky cons.
Pros
The employees, 401k plan employer match; insurance benefits; we have some really great supervisors and work groups
Cons
starting pay
Good people but bad turnover
Loader liquid and powder (Current Employee) –  PlaquemineAugust 20, 2015
The turnover makes too much overtime and gives no real time off. They are quick to fire and slow to hire. This makes for a over worked hostile inverment. Cause if you mess up it may be your last day
Pros
Great family atmosphere
Cons
Low pay for quality and work load
Productive workplace and good management
Solids handling tech (Current Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 20, 2015
A good company to work for with room for advancement. Would be a good company to get experience with. No cons that i have noticed but the job is nice.
Pros
Overtime

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Reviews by Location