SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to work
Dock Operator (Current Employee) –  Donaldsonville, LAJuly 22, 2017
Not a bad place to work. I enjoy the paid holidays and overtime. I wish they had more people that can take your place but it seems to me they can't hire people fast enough or they don't care to hire when we have too much work going on.
Cons
Work hard and still starve.
Loader (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJune 27, 2017
SGS is not a bad company at all to work for. However, i don't recommend going to the shin tech plaquemine site. We work around some really dangerous chemicals and we work our butts off. We are not paid as much as deserved. It's sad when you work really hard and get all the overtime you can work but you still live paycheck to paycheck. It's sad.
Pros
Not a bad company
Cons
Horrible pay
working as shore tankerman
Shore Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHJune 26, 2017
Recieve orders around 6-8pm for the next day, traveled to jobsite (dock) anywhere in Ohio, PA, KY, W. VA, IN, IL, TN to either Load or Offload Dangerous Liquids . Sign all the Documents that were needed for the Barge, then I would inspect the barge to ensure that it was able to pass inspection. I would then start the transfer until it was completed or until I was relieved by another Tankerman. After the transfer was complete I would secure the barge and head home.
The hardest part would be not able to spend quality time with the Family on a set schedule and dealing with unbearable weather both HOT and COLD.
The most enjoyable time is spending time on the water watching river traffic.
Pros
paid milage from home of record, never recieved orders consistency on timely manner
Cons
zero work/life balnace, lower wage for industry standards
bad job
Dock operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 14, 2017
managers bad job bad bad bad bad just a bad place to work manager care about themselves not employees. do not want you to take time off get upset when you take vacation.
Over worked under paid
Loader (Former Employee) –  Taft, LAJune 12, 2017
No matter what you do for this company they will stab you in the back and all you are is a number to them and they don't care about your family all they care about is you coming to work You can make good money but you there everyday
Cons
Interactive and family like environment
Rail Loader (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJune 3, 2017
She OSC is an excellent company with great benefits to suit new workers and experienced workers. There is always work needed to be done. Managment is always willing to give a helping hand when need be.
Very organized company to a certain extent.
Liquid Loader (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAMay 28, 2017
Very good company to work for. like every company it has its draw backs. They have a few things to work on but as far as i'm comcerned, if the money was where it should be for the work we do, i'd make a career out of SGS.
It's close to home.
Wash Rack Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAMay 23, 2017
Typical day at work includes auditing in-bound trains that come in Dow Chemical.
Filling out spread sheets
answering emails through out the day.
I an learning how to implement OTMA's process
Good place to work. work with good people
The hardest thing about my job is keeping all the rail cars in line, witch consist of getting all the cars washed and repaired in a timely matter.
The most enjoyable thing about my job is when I get off work I don't have to fight the traffic getting home.
Pros
I live very close to work.
Cons
Pay is fair but i would like to make more money.
Fun place to work
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXMarch 21, 2017
Safety culture is the among the best in the industry. Small family feel type organization. A good fit for any hard working person. You will be tested in a good way day in and day out.
Loader
Safety & Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaFebruary 20, 2017
Excellent company to work for that promotes from within to grow the organizational footprint. Excellent benefits and time off for family. Company allows you the opportunity to grow and thrive.
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay

Want to know more about SGS Petroleum Service Corporation?

Ask a question
Great Coworkers
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 17, 2017
Great company just no room for advancement or raise. Learn a lot about the industry and have great coworkers and boss. No room for advancement or pay raises
Pros
Company
Cons
Money and raises
Great job/good pay, but rough when understaffed.
Lead-man Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAFebruary 12, 2017
I truly enjoyed working as a dock operator/lead-man. Job was rewarding and gave plenty of opportunity to rise in position. Unfortunately we went through a period of being shorthanded and had trouble retaining people. Was 12-hr swing shifts (day/night) and often had to be called in on days off. Problem was a hard one to fix due to training time and workers getting frustrated covering the shifts while waiting on the new employees to be trained. This caused issues balancing life and work. I believe management did best they could given the nature of the work. Loved the workplace and enjoyed working/coordinating with multiple companies. The hardest part and my most enjoyable part were both handling unforeseen issues that would arise and working them out. I learned a great deal about how refineries worked, different types of product produced, and and basic physics which pushed me to pursue an engineering degree.
Pros
Good pay/benefits, rewarding experience
Cons
12-hr swing shift
Daily duties
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 5, 2017
Process billing for plant work, submit invoices for payment with approval, cut payables weekly, date entry, GL coding, customer service
Pros
wonderful company
Cons
nothing
Very good company
Dock Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 4, 2017
This is a company that will hire someone who doesn't know a thing about a thing and give them a chance, You will be surrounded by some folks who think that they know what they are doing and people who actually know what they are doing. If you decide to apply make sure you surround yourself with military veterans, everyone else are knuckleheads that desperately need a daily throat-punch.
Pros
The experienced guys are very willing to teach you if you are willing to learn
Cons
Douchebaggery
Good place to work/ small window for advancement opportunities
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 30, 2016
Good friend and environment!! I love working as a tankerman because you have to be very honest and focused on the work you do on a daily basis..
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
On call schedule
Waste of time
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Sgs Saint CharlesNovember 26, 2016
Very Poor management and staff . The work load is just to the roof in a very high risk environment where what they pay you for isn't worth it.
Arss kissers to the hosting plants or refineries.they will sacrifice the employee for no reason just to please someone.
Bottom line it's totally garbage!.
Good pay and Good benefits
Barge Operator (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXNovember 16, 2016
Good pay and Benefits, job site changes d.aily with different tasks and refineries. Hard to balance family life with a schedule that on call
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
the on call schedule, hard to balance life and work
worst company ever
loader/ pumper (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 2, 2016
low pay, bad management, aleasy short workers...place sucked all around..i would never recommend anyone to ever work for this company.....................................................
Not worth the pay
Loader (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Bad communication and lack of training. A lot of lazy people, always leaving work for the next guy. Constantly set up for failure. The pay is not worth the risk.
Productive and fun workplace to work for
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 8, 2016
We work 12-hour shifts and I learnt a lot of things forklift driving the Box line how to load a railroad carts.. it was a great place to work at it was a great place to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Reviews by Location