SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews

It's close to home.
Wash Rack Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAMay 23, 2017
Typical day at work includes auditing in-bound trains that come in Dow Chemical.
Filling out spread sheets
answering emails through out the day.
I an learning how to implement OTMA's process
Good place to work. work with good people
The hardest thing about my job is keeping all the rail cars in line, witch consist of getting all the cars washed and repaired in a timely matter.
The most enjoyable thing about my job is when I get off work I don't have to fight the traffic getting home.
Pros
I live very close to work.
Cons
Pay is fair but i would like to make more money.
Fun place to work
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXMarch 21, 2017
Safety culture is the among the best in the industry. Small family feel type organization. A good fit for any hard working person. You will be tested in a good way day in and day out.
Loader
Safety & Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaFebruary 20, 2017
Excellent company to work for that promotes from within to grow the organizational footprint. Excellent benefits and time off for family. Company allows you the opportunity to grow and thrive.
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay
Great Coworkers
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 17, 2017
Great company just no room for advancement or raise. Learn a lot about the industry and have great coworkers and boss. No room for advancement or pay raises
Pros
Company
Cons
Money and raises
Great job/good pay, but rough when understaffed.
Lead-man Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAFebruary 12, 2017
I truly enjoyed working as a dock operator/lead-man. Job was rewarding and gave plenty of opportunity to rise in position. Unfortunately we went through a period of being shorthanded and had trouble retaining people. Was 12-hr swing shifts (day/night) and often had to be called in on days off. Problem was a hard one to fix due to training time and workers getting frustrated covering the shifts while waiting on the new employees to be trained. This caused issues balancing life and work. I believe management did best they could given the nature of the work. Loved the workplace and enjoyed working/coordinating with multiple companies. The hardest part and my most enjoyable part were both handling unforeseen issues that would arise and working them out. I learned a great deal about how refineries worked, different types of product produced, and and basic physics which pushed me to pursue an engineering degree.
Pros
Good pay/benefits, rewarding experience
Cons
12-hr swing shift
Daily duties
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 5, 2017
Process billing for plant work, submit invoices for payment with approval, cut payables weekly, date entry, GL coding, customer service
Pros
wonderful company
Cons
nothing
Very good company
Dock Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 4, 2017
This is a company that will hire someone who doesn't know a thing about a thing and give them a chance, You will be surrounded by some folks who think that they know what they are doing and people who actually know what they are doing. If you decide to apply make sure you surround yourself with military veterans, everyone else are knuckleheads that desperately need a daily throat-punch.
Pros
The experienced guys are very willing to teach you if you are willing to learn
Cons
Douchebaggery
Good place to work/ small window for advancement opportunities
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 30, 2016
Good friend and environment!! I love working as a tankerman because you have to be very honest and focused on the work you do on a daily basis..
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
On call schedule
Waste of time
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Sgs Saint CharlesNovember 26, 2016
Very Poor management and staff . The work load is just to the roof in a very high risk environment where what they pay you for isn't worth it.
Arss kissers to the hosting plants or refineries.they will sacrifice the employee for no reason just to please someone.
Bottom line it's totally garbage!.
Good pay and Good benefits
Barge Operator (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXNovember 16, 2016
Good pay and Benefits, job site changes d.aily with different tasks and refineries. Hard to balance family life with a schedule that on call
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
the on call schedule, hard to balance life and work
worst company ever
loader/ pumper (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 2, 2016
low pay, bad management, aleasy short workers...place sucked all around..i would never recommend anyone to ever work for this company.....................................................
Not worth the pay
Loader (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Bad communication and lack of training. A lot of lazy people, always leaving work for the next guy. Constantly set up for failure. The pay is not worth the risk.
Productive and fun workplace to work for
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 8, 2016
We work 12-hour shifts and I learnt a lot of things forklift driving the Box line how to load a railroad carts.. it was a great place to work at it was a great place to work at.
Loading cargo ships
Marine Dock operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 30, 2016
On call schedule for going to different chemical plants/terminals to load or discharge cargo ships. You hook up boats with heavy large hoses either by crane and wait all day for transfer. Ship team man helps you with the transfer making sure no leaks occur. All i can say this is not chemical plant job and its not for everyone. Pay is good and you need a thick skin to work with these people. I quit one month, did not like traveling places around town at anytime. There is a huge responsibly in this job, easy to get fired if you don't know what you doing. Good paying job although, $17.5 with overtime. You are in a different crew every time and loading different chemicals. You have to bring your provided equipment from your car to the docks every time which is annoying. LIfe vest must be work through out most of the shift at most docks. This job was not for me at all, did it for plant work to go in to be an operator, wrong step. Job culture is definitely a negative some of these guys you trained were down on rude.
Pros
Pay, experience
Cons
wearing PPE, co-workers/bosses/, training
A place for somebody thats single with not a lot of family.
Railcar Technician/Crude Oil Railcar Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 15, 2016
You are told during the hiring process that you will be on a 12 hour rotating day and night shift but the day you start thats not the case. You will be working on call shifts 3-4 days a week, the unit trains that come in are never on time or are not on a schedule so you can expect a train to be there any time during the day and anytime during the night. You get a call saying the trains there at 2:30AM you have to get out of bed and go! Sometimes you have to work 16 hour shifts to catch up on your hours depending on when the trains come to just make 40 hours. You get overtime maybe once a month, very low paying job for what you're doing. You never know what you'll be working because the Crude Oil Unit train schedule gets changed daily, and you can't plan anything because you never know when or what time you'll have to work. You work with a bunch of very disrespectful people that are always negitive. This is an alright job for somebody who is single and doesn't have much family.
Pros
Hour paid lunches.
Cons
The whole workplace to be honest.
Official response from SGS Petroleum Service Corporation
July 20, 2016

We are sorry to hear that your experience working for our company was not more positive. Our business is a 24/7 operation, with work schedules at many of our sites revolving around changing customer demands, fluctuating market conditions, and unpredictable shipping schedules. We can certainly appreciate that an on-call work schedule is not a good fit for everyone. That is why our recruiters and supervisors spend a good bit of time discussing the work schedule during the interviewing and selection process.

Company will stick you any chance they get
Liquid Loader (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 13, 2016
SGS at ExxonMobil will screw your over any chance they get. They expect you to learn and know everything about loading and unloading rail cars in about three weeks time. They give you test to qualify you on and the rest is things you haven't seen or were shown about. Supervisors leave the plant early then they are supposed too and if something happens it's always your fault and you get written up. Co workers talk behind your back and set you up for failure and will do anything to make themselves look good. The upper management will shake your hand and smile in your face but will stab you in the back in a second. Things brought up in safety meetings aren't acknowledged or taken care of so if something breaks or messes up your at fault automatically. They preach safety and work stop authority if you don't feel safe stop working and don't do it. Your supervisors will make you do it anyway and if something goes wrong you are to blame. All these positive reviews are from supervisors or upper management. If you don't suck up to upper management or supervisors they ride you constantly.
Pros
Meal tickets at safety meetings
Cons
Supervisors upper management make you work unsafe even if you point out unsafe conditions
Bad and insecure management
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 10, 2016
The management is very insecure don't not like change or challenges. They will get rid of you if you don't go along with their ideas
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Managers in operation are ver insecure
Great co workers double standard management.
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJune 23, 2016
I worked at the seadrift -Dow site . only pros about working there was the people you worked with. From our plant manger down to our unit 8 and safety men were horrible. They don't care about you or your family. All they cared about was covering the shift. Our turn over rate was crazy. Pay was awful. You had to fight to get a dollar. Worst company I ever worked for and by far the worse unit 8 and team leads and management .
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, pay
Good Company.... Managment and Supervisors are OLD!!
wharehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 28, 2016
Good company... No room for advancement, supervisors are OLD and washed out!! They need military minded people to run the wharehouse not old guys that are in retirement and have no life, u will be stuck their with $starting pay at $15.50 and toping out at $18.00 after 4 years... Don't work their!! Not worth ur time..
Pros
Medical
Cons
Pay, Managment
Good coworkers but management is not the best
Chemical Loader (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXApril 19, 2016
Great coworkers but site supervisor is not knowledgeable about anything we load, all he knows is how to get people in trouble
Pros
good pay decent benefits
Cons
no room for advancement and limited hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Reviews by Location