SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Over worked and underpaid
Leadman/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 10, 2016
overworked and underpaid
out in elements for hardly nothing
work most holidays
kill you in overtime
while you work in the elements making close to minimum wage management doesn't even want to get their shoes wet they get paid 4 times your salary
no coordination between management and crew
you get sgs handbooks thru the mail show that sgs throws all kinds of party's for the employees NOTTTTT!!!! Maybe in Baton Rouge, LA
Pros
NONE
Cons
NO BREAKS, NO JOB SECURITY
Productive environment.
Terminal Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 23, 2016
This company is an okay company to work for. Not much to brag about other than it's a job, they pay okay for what they do and you only work 8 hours a day for 5 days, so you have plenty of time off to go to school or enjoy your family time. They are real good on safety and believe firmly in you doing your job with quality. The negative would be a lot of their work is outside in the harsh weather and in a plant environment. Benefits didn't seem to be that great, and management seems to kind of forget about you unless you are a brown noser or a mess up.
Bad management
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 21, 2016
Sgs is a very big company with very low pay. Benifits and 401k are good but pay is very low. Seems you have to be in upper management to get a leg up in the company that includes a company truck and gas card. While supervisors cut OT they sit back and have no clue about the enter workings of the job site. It seems the company is happy with 75% turnover instead of raising wages.
Pros
Insurance 401k
Cons
Pay
Best company I've worked for
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 9, 2015
I started with SGS PSC back in 2012 and was promoted to Team Lead two years later. I've never worked around such a great group of people who actually feel like part of my family. While I've been here, I've been able to suggest my ideas, implement processes, and improve on existing processes. The management team is very supportive and open to improvements. In order to become a great leader, you learn from the best and I really do work with the best group of people. I hope I'm here until retirement, because I don't imagine too many other companies out there like PSC. We work hard, but we also know how to have fun. I think that is the best part about working for a great company - it really doesn't feel like work!
Pros
Good benefits, 401k, competitive pay, advancement opportunities, fun/family environment
Cons
I really can't think of one
Use to be a great place to work but it now sucks
operator (Current Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJanuary 24, 2016
Use to be a great place to work but new supervisor who just fires everyone pay is good for the work but health benefits suck and if your no buddy buddy with the safety and main supervisor you might be screwed but good luck.
Pros
Cool people to work with
Cons
Supervisors suck
Great co workers double standard management.
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXJune 23, 2016
I worked at the seadrift -Dow site . only pros about working there was the people you worked with. From our plant manger down to our unit 8 and safety men were horrible. They don't care about you or your family. All they cared about was covering the shift. Our turn over rate was crazy. Pay was awful. You had to fight to get a dollar. Worst company I ever worked for and by far the worse unit 8 and team leads and management .
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, pay
Good Company Overall
Ops Manager (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 27, 2015
Overall SGS is a good company. Co-workers are great and you are always learning. Hardest part is work/life balance, but overall it's a good company to work for. SGS is headed into the right direction with management. As long as you do your job and know your accountabilities/responsibilities, then you will be fine.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Distance to work; turnover
Good Company.... Managment and Supervisors are OLD!!
wharehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 28, 2016
Good company... No room for advancement, supervisors are OLD and washed out!! They need military minded people to run the wharehouse not old guys that are in retirement and have no life, u will be stuck their with $starting pay at $15.50 and toping out at $18.00 after 4 years... Don't work their!! Not worth ur time..
Pros
Medical
Cons
Pay, Managment
SGS PSC gets an "A" compared to other companies
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 20, 2015
You get what you put in at SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC). There are some nit-picky "cons" about my time here so far: my pay could be better, I wish I had a more visible career path, I wish I had more opportunities to see and understand the business and industry as a whole, and my workload sometimes seems more intense than some of my coworkers. I think everyone can relate to my cons because everyone feels that way, regardless of what company they work for, what they are doing, and how much money they make. We always want more and feel we "deserve better." But the bottom line is that I look forward to coming to work everyday.

At SGS PSC, I love the people, the work, job security, the benefits (awesome benefits!), the work/life balance, the challenges, the culture, the industry, the PSC "team" as a whole, and knowing that I play a part in the success of this company. There are some great people in PSC leadership roles that recognize our employees as being valuable to the company, as well recognize that employees are also human beings who sometimes have personal/family issues to deal with. Management wants to know what its employees think and will push for employees' wants and needs. I can't say all of that about previous companies I've worked for. I hear my friends gripe about the companies they work for, and I feel blessed knowing I work for a company that is not only highly successful, but also cares about me and my family and wants to hear what I have to say.

PSC depends on its employees to keep its reputation strong and positive so we can continue
  more... to grow and succeed in this industry. A big goal of PSC is to be successful by hiring, training, and retaining quality, hard-working, and safety-minded people so that we continue to be the best in this industry at what we do. The overall sense of a team effort and wanting continued improvement is strong at PSC, and it's what keeps me excited about my job and looking forward to the future.

I challenge anyone who is considering a career at SGS PSC to first promise to put in what you feel that you're worth, and then, if offered the opportunity, keep that promise. Grow. Improve. Succeed. The pros will far outweigh any of the nit-picky cons.
Pros
The employees, 401k plan employer match; insurance benefits; we have some really great supervisors and work groups
Cons
starting pay
Company that cares!
training (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 30, 2015
If you can read, follow instructions, and care about doing a great job, you can have a life long career with this company and be able to provide for your family.
Very good conpany to work for, with good benefits
Loader Operator/ material handler (Current Employee) –  Huntsman Houston TxMarch 16, 2016
Company could have better compenstion for ppe/ footwear, but overall rating is very good with competive salaries and base pay rates.
Pros
Very good training programs and competive salaries
Cons
Better saftey on site meetings, with customer and longer designated breaks
Good place to start out with and aquire expeience
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMarch 30, 2015
A typical day consists of loading tank trucks and rail cars, unloading raw material and maintaining a safe and clean work environment. I've learned the importance of working safe and how much value it adds to my work. We have a good management team that is always willing to help any problem that may come up. I have a good set of co-workers that set the following shift up for success. The hardest part of my job would have to be trying to better myself every day. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the experience and knowledge I'm obtaining.
Pros
Lots of overtime, great work environment, very supportive and encouraging staff
Cons
Pay could be better, health coverage isn't very good, no room for advancement
Bad
Crew Leader/Helper (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 4, 2015
Bad management. They did not train me properly for what I was doing at the time. Constant accident at the site due to bad training. Pay was terrible too.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, bad pay
Cool job
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMarch 16, 2016
It's ok good job to get plant experience very easy going people very easy to get along with.everyone works together. Nothing to hard about the job crazy schedule though.
great place to work!
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  PasadenaApril 22, 2014
I rated PSC high on the work life balance - we work hard but also have opportunities to play hard: company picnic, Family Day at Schlitterbahn, Holiday parties, ect. Most employees worked a form of shift work which allows significant amount of time off, and staff schedules were pretty flexible.
Comp and Benefits: neutral rating - they have all the normal bells and whistles. Pay for some positions could be more competitive and it took a long time to become vested.
Job Security/Advancement: Neutral - Stability was high but advancement was not as easily attained. The company is relaible and is in a state of growth and work is plentiful. Advancement is there for the right person at the right time in the right place.
Management: Above average-Generally, the management has it together and are in touch with what the front lines are doing.
Job Culture: High - At the location where I worked the culture was fantastic! Fun atmosphere, good location, it was an overall enjoyable place spend 40 hours a week.
Pros
good people, growing company
Cons
limited growth in some departments
Great company to work for.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
This is a company that really cares about the well being of their employees. As well as their families. Very Adamant about safety.
Pros
Paid lunch. Understanding of outside urgency
lazy, uneducated and hypocritical management
loader (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, msJanuary 22, 2015
Management cares about themselves and no one else. You have to basically nag them to bring you the required tools and ppe needed for the job. Site supervisor only supports team members who suck up to him. Constant threats of being fired for whatever they feel is important that day. Some back stabbing employees and the ones that are good employees have already or are about to quit. No matter what is said, there is no advancement opportunities with this site. Site supervisor will ask you to put aside policy and regulations to do whatever he wants you to do. Not worth the time and a lot of expectations for little money. They expect you to be on call 24/7 without on call pay. Could be a good job with management change.
Pros
some work experience
Cons
management, double standards and no advancement
Productive and Fun work place`
PVC LOADER (Current Employee) –  PLAQUMINESeptember 3, 2015
I just started out at SGS as a pvc loader. The pay is great and competitive. I enjoy coming to work. Work environment is great and they made me feel like I was apart of the family from day one.
Tank Truck Inspector (Current Employee) –  SCO DowJune 4, 2015
Great company to work for and employees are just like family. Average compensation with good benefits. Management are good and reliable people.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Productive workplace and good management
Solids handling tech (Current Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 20, 2015
A good company to work for with room for advancement. Would be a good company to get experience with. No cons that i have noticed but the job is nice.
Pros
Overtime