SGS Employee Reviews

terrible management, hr is a joke
analyst /engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 22, 2017
Hr is a joke! Work you to the end, then management complain about lack of sales. Takes all the fun out of work and makes it a grind. Everyone points the finger at others and does not take responsibility for their actions.
Challenging
Data Analyst & Biller (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKJune 7, 2017
When SGS first bought the company I worked for which was FTS, our salaries were cut by 10%. We were told for the next few years our salaries would rise and we would be back on track. There were several of us whose salaries did not rise and we ended up underpaid. You would have to bring it to managements attention who would agree with you, but you would receive a quarter or maybe two for that year and it would take a while to get the raise. The most enjoyable part of working at SGS was the people. We had all grown to know each other over the 8 years I worked there. Management was good but we were upside down, too many managers and very little workers.
Pros
free lunches, parties
Cons
no holiday bonuses
Alot of wonderful people to work with alot of integrity.
Receptionist/Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 3, 2017
The purpose of the school and the staff make this wonderful place to work. It's a tough job that requires alot from it's staff, you have to be on all the time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
everyone is not treated or paid for the same jobs they perform
This job was exciting but PT
New Car Inspector (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 30, 2017
I had the opportunity to inspect new cars as they came off the train. A typical day would be me inspecting at least 100-200 cars. This job required making on-point decision, either to fail the cars inspection or to pass it.
Pros
Seeing new product before it arrives to the dealership
Cons
Not buying one.
Discriminated against
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 7, 2017
This company discriminated against me based of my background check. The offense in question has nothing to do with the job duties I would be conducting, the position and company have nothing to do with my offence. Lawyer will be contacted.
sufferable
Automotive Inspector (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2017
The position of automotive inspector requires the ability to work independently, be highly organized, and efficient with your time. The job is very enjoyable as long as you are familiar with cars and like working outdoors. I can imagine this is a much better job if you live in the South where the weather is not so extreme. Your main focus is inspecting vehicles and the term of the lease, generally at a dealership or a clients home or office. Unfortunately, there are many days when the schedule is overloaded. It seems dispatch is unaware of things like traffic, travel time, etc. This was a constant source of frustration. Also, scheduling often requires driving back and forth across town to different appointments, adding unnecessary miles and time to your schedule. You have no control over this.

The equipment you are given is far from the best. The laptops you use are old refurbished Panasonic Toughbooks that have seen better days. Mileage reimbursement is paltry. It barely covers the cost of routine maintenance. And, submitting all the forms to get paid is overly complicated and time-consuming.

The pay is not great. Raises are non-existent. And, advancement opportunities are lacking.
Pros
work from home, no office to go to; work independently
Cons
poor scheduling, poor equipment, low wages, very low mileage reimbursement
Horrible Staffing Company
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 29, 2017
This is not a place you want to work for. The recruiters are horrible at their jobs and don't respond in a timely manner. They deducted money from my check without notifying me. They lure people in with the high hourly salary but no one stays at this place for more then 2 weeks.
Overall not a good place to work
Technical Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 21, 2017
No incentive to work hard. Very hard to get raises or laid off so no point to try harder. SGS seems to buy other companies to run them out of business and lessen the competition.
Good experience
Baggage Handler (Former Employee) –  Saudi arabiaFebruary 2, 2017
Their good working conditions and security also but that airport have old systems for baggage handling . management also good they giving good accomadation and food
Pros
Free food and accomodation and travelling
fast paced enviroment
Inspection Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2017
quiet office environment. a lot of time spent in front of the computer and on the phone. plenty to learn about but not enough opportunity for advancement.
Fun place to work!
Sr. Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I had the oppurtunity of working with some fabulous engineers and experienced customer. Enjoyed gaining hands on experience about different chipset manufacturers and their tools from the customers. I also enjoyed coordinating ab activity at SGS.
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
Poor benefits.
terrible managers
Switchman (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 10, 2017
pay is ok management is horrible they don't know how to talk to people constantly looking to fire someone for the smallest infractions they also preach safety by higher ups do exactly what they preach
Pros
ok pay
Cons
management
Worst job ever
Lab tech (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJJanuary 9, 2017
I worked there for literally 2 days, and it's the first job I've literally ever quit. It was like working with zombies, I swear! It felt like I was in the show stranger things, where that demon thing exists. People didn't like each other at all and it felt childish. There was this one creepy guy who got angry with me for saying I don't like a certain town. He creeped me out. They neglected me both those days and when it was the end of my shift, literally no one was there. I had no orientation whatsoever and I never even met the manager, I still don't know who this person is. I never met HR either. Stay away.
Opportunitistic employer
Country CFO - Algeria (Former Employee) –  AlgiersDecember 26, 2016
The latest CEO has a clear opportunistic and very short term result focused approach. This leads to instant cutting of headcount during downturns with little or no vision to build a stronger organisation and workforce over the longer term. Hence there is no investment in people development and career planning. You get hired for your skills and immediate impact, not for your potential.
Great place to work. Independent Contractor
Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Juan, Puerto RicoDecember 19, 2016
Independent Contractor. Great work environment, Excellent team work. Very comprehensive training and OJT support.
All talk and no support
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAOctober 18, 2016
SGS is all about the bottom line. Promises were made when they bought Accutest Labs. and nothing has been done. They plan on closing more labs.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
Healthcare is the lowest possible. No chance for any advancment.
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Technician/Chemist (Current Employee) –  St. Rose, LAOctober 10, 2016
I'm enjoying my time working for SGS. I performed various ASTM methods on various petroleum products. I trained fellow employees in the proper techniques of various ASTM methods. I've had the cooperation of supervisors reporting results to clients and have built good relationships with clients and fellow employees.
However, of late, we have lost half our staff to better opportunities. I have decided it is time for me to pursue better employment opportunities also after 9 years with SGS.
Pros
Schedule around family emergencies
Cons
Pay raises minimal
Productive/ Long hours on road
Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 19, 2016
Very demanding career as you sample coal from trains, barges, stockpiles and mining pits. Great way to start out of highschool to learn basics on working in real world. Very dirty and dusty at times as you crush and prepare coal for lab testing.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Long hours on road/ dusty environments.
Good Company
Operator/Loader (Former Employee) –  Hahnville, LASeptember 7, 2016
Decent Job, I've had a lot worse. i was a loader, tank trucks and railcars. Very procedure driven company. Safety was always top priority. Good entry job for plant work.
no support and traing is a joke.
Appointment Setter/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  mason ohioAugust 27, 2016
if you are looking for a low end job then this is place for you. if you want a real job keep looking. they cant even take right amount of taxes out your pay!! new training program is laughable. computer and phone system are outdated. there is no advancement. they pay new hires more than people who have been there for several years. you dont even have own desk. so if you wanted to make up hours you cant.