SGS Employee Reviews

Productive/ Long hours on road
Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 19, 2016
Very demanding career as you sample coal from trains, barges, stockpiles and mining pits. Great way to start out of highschool to learn basics on working in real world. Very dirty and dusty at times as you crush and prepare coal for lab testing.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Long hours on road/ dusty environments.
Good Company
Operator/Loader (Former Employee) –  Hahnville, LASeptember 7, 2016
Decent Job, I've had a lot worse. i was a loader, tank trucks and railcars. Very procedure driven company. Safety was always top priority. Good entry job for plant work.
no support and traing is a joke.
Appointment Setter/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  mason ohioAugust 27, 2016
if you are looking for a low end job then this is place for you. if you want a real job keep looking. they cant even take right amount of taxes out your pay!! new training program is laughable. computer and phone system are outdated. there is no advancement. they pay new hires more than people who have been there for several years. you dont even have own desk. so if you wanted to make up hours you cant.
Basic place to work.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 24, 2016
It was great to begin with, but the culture changed. I retired from there. My job went from tech support to sales in addition to the tech side. They had very little regard for their employees, due to the amount of folks looking for a position of any sort.
Terrible and Unprofessional
Contract Lab Tech w/Dow Chemical/ Chemist (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 14, 2016
The site I work at was on 8th street location in Deer Park, Tx and the Assistant Manager wanted me gone from the jump. I started as a Contract worker to Dow Chemical in Bayport, Tx which was a horrible experience. The Operators there ran the show and if they wanted you gone they would make it difficult for you. Or they will make it their business to get your Fired. The Lab Manager at SGS was fair but I feel like she was oblivious of what was going on and her Assistant Manager at the 8th Street location in Deer Park was manipulating her to take her position. I was let go because of what someone else say. A fair investigation with both parties were not conducted. I realize by past experiences with this company it was the planned. I eventually was able to received my Unemployment benefits.
Cons
Easy to work with and friendly people
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILAugust 2, 2016
This position is a very similar to my last review. The hours dedicated to on the road and in the office are the same . The exposure to clients is a very important aspect of this job.
Great crew
N/A (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 23, 2016
Poor management. No adequate training performed. Stressful work environment. Poor communication between management and staff. Used to be a great place to work until SGS took over.
Great company to work for.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Cross Lanes, WVJuly 13, 2016
The company took care of their employees. Safety of their employees was top priority. As long as you did your job the way it was required to be done, no one hassled you. Provided you with your entire uniform except boots.
Pros
Safety of their employees was top priority, free safety training.
Cons
You worked out of your own vehicle with no fuel reimbursment.
Great potential, poor manegement
Project and Auditor Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santiago, MNJuly 5, 2016
Although SGS is a multinational corporation, compensation and benefits weren't similar to engineering like companies I've worked before.
I tried to take a certification class that SGS itself offers to external clients. The discount for being an employee was way less that I expected and they would discount from my salary the time I was 'off-work' :'(
Pros
Corporate stable job
Cons
Few benefits, salaries below the average, no opportunities to grow
Production and quality.
Helper (Former Employee) –  Gregory, TXJune 28, 2016
no rain outs, how to work as a team, management team good, good people to work with. Walking threw mud when it rains. a complete work day.
Pros
Had a hour lunch
Cons
Bad weather

Want to know more about SGS?

Ask a question
Tough job, no appreciation
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 16, 2016
I learned after working at SGS for a few years that the company really cares nothing about their employees. They will work you to death if you let them and they want you to feel grateful that you have a job. You won't get paid enough for amount of work you have to do. Managers and employees are allowed to talk to people horribly and never have any repercussions. Every administrative process is tedious, repetitive and ridiculous. It takes a room full of people talking through jobs to get them invoiced because the process is lengthy and the instructions given to you can be interpreted in so many different ways. I've never seen a company have so many errors with invoicing in my life. The building I worked in had so many OSHA violations; wasps and mosquitos flying in the kitchen and offices, leaky windows causing mold and mildew on the carpets. The air conditioner never worked; in the winter the temperature in the office was 50 degrees. These things were reported and nothing was done by management because they could never get approval from corporate to spend money and fix the problems. The health benefits are astronomically expensive for employees. Stay away!
So so
Instrumentation Chemist (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, NJMay 4, 2016
People are nice here but the career development also restricted here. The benefit are quite low here and works here can be challenged and hard.
a famous company in the world
Manager (Former Employee) –  China, MEMay 3, 2016
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. They provide lots of training to staffs, with high efficiency.
Pros
you can lean so much in SGS
Cons
a little bit low salary
Stable company
Contractor to Dow Chemical (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX 77505April 29, 2016
Overall this was a good company. They are a contract company that provides service to large chemical plants. I enjoyed the time that I was with this company.
Pros
take care of employees
Awful place to work
Shift Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere POrtMarch 20, 2016
The main ethos of SGS is greed and profit. This company does not give a toss about the people who make it's bread and butter and treat them just like commodities that can be dispensed of and replaced. Lot of company spiel about sustainability inc. staff sustainability which to me was just a lot of hot air as this particular lab had the highest turnover of staff I had ever witnessed in 20 years in the industry. Poor pay. No training. SGS is exceptionally good at one thing ie saving pennies to make pounds and will therefore not spend any money of staff development. Annual bonus which was like a dangled carrot to control and manipulate staff. Often many people were disciplined and lost the entitlement to the bonus (hence saving the company further money). A recent loss of a large contract brought out the true colours of the company ethos with long term loyal staff not even being given the chance of voluntary redundancy but given the choice to work for the company several hundred miles away saving the company yet more money in redundancy pay outs. If this is the future of modern business I feel for the next generation. Yes, companies are here to make a profit but at least treat the people who are making you the money with some respect and dignity. Once again, Greed and profit. Don't bother with this company. Look for something better.
Pros
. Kept busy. Time off between shifts (when nobody sick which was rare)
Cons
Poor management. Poor pay. No external training. Overworked etc etc.
good place to work
lead man (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMarch 2, 2016
starting pay is way above what you can find anywhere else they have good benefits, your 401 starts just after 90 days some companies it starts after 1 year
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
yearly rasies of a dollar and they tax it before you get it
Production work with Lots of Overtime
Lead Mac / Esko Operator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 16, 2016
If you love overtime, then this is the place for you. It also is in a great location, close to lots of shops and places to eat.
Automotive repairs
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 30, 2015
Typical day of repairing customer vehicles based on their concerns.
Learned better and fast ways to complete repairs
Management was very helpful with support.
Co-workers offered great team work to help with any problems.
Hardest part of the job handling was the heavy automotive components.
Most enjoyable part of the job was taking pride in my repairs.
Pros
Friendly work environmet
Cons
Heavy vehicle parts
Productive and caring Corporation.
Data Analyst/Biller (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKDecember 19, 2015
It was like working with family. We all worked as a team and cared for one another. Productivity, learning and integerity was the overall goal. I would work there again anytime they needed me. Best Job I ever had.
Pros
Company that cared for and listen to their employees.
Cons
If I had to say anything it would be larger raises.
Unprofessional environment.
laboratory (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 5, 2015
They do not invest in quality and they do not provide the correct tools to perform the job. In August 2015 they sent out an email to instruct us to not buy office supplies if not absolutely needed, and if you do buy only one pen instead of a box of pens.
They push employees to work 18 hours a day for days at the time. Most of the time you won't have a day off in months.
Pros
health insurance is decent
Cons
Your life will revolve around your work schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval