shake Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
good work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2017
A typical day at work was busy. My duties would vary on a daily basis. My managers were very lazy in my opinion . I worked there as a shift manager/supervisor my job was to make sure shifts were ran smoothly. The hardest part about the job was working in a hot kitchen because we did not have any air conditioning.
Quick paced and friendly
Server Steak (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILAugust 25, 2017
working at steak n shake was comfortable and an ideal job for first time employees to get a grasp on serving. the environment was fast paced and friendly
Pros
half priced employee meals
Cons
no cons that i can see
Fast paced work environment
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, OHJuly 25, 2017
The work environment was very warm and uniform are not provided except for the bowtie and apron. It is required that you wear a bowtie and name tag, apron every day with a white short sleeve Oxford shirt with long black pant and black nonslip shoe. it is a fast pace job and if you can't keep up will become very stressful with your coworkers getting angry about picking up your slack.
Pros
Job has similar requirements everyday
Cons
long hours, never know when you will get off
Needs Work
Server (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INJuly 18, 2016
Steak n' Shake in Anderson needs some work from the inside-out. The training weeks are condensed in three days of learning. You can be left alone and thrown to the dogs in a certain type of way. Management has been going through a rough spot recently and needs a lot of work. This is also not a very positive environment. There is also a lack of balance in who should get rewards and punished. It seems like hard working people get punished, while more lazy workers get rewarded.
Pros
Nice Discount on Food
Cons
Hours, Environment, Management
good place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2016
didn't really like working for this company, management was horrible. always gave you trouble when you call out or need a personal day
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Productive workplace with fast paced environment.
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 30, 2015
On a daily basis, I trained associates, worked with new employees and completed daily tasks as a team. I was a Manager for 8 months and learned that for people to respect you, you just have to be harder on them every day until they fear you. My employees respected me and always completed their work if they knew I'd be coming in for the end of their shift. The "hardest" part of my job was customer service. Not necessarily solving problems or situations with every customer, but sometimes the customers will try anything they can to give you a hard time. The most enjoyable part of my job was the alone time, believe it or not. As a manager my name was constantly being called. Therefore, whenever I had the chance to sit and do paperwork or any work that I completed alone, I enjoyed it.
Pros
Free meals, flexible schedule
Cons
No breaks, No direct deposit