Shands Healthcare

Shands Healthcare United States Employee Reviews

Poor Management too many changes...
private (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 9, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: work day issues, poor management, turnovers
The management team was poor. While employed there a supervisor was loud talking another employee in front of others. If she had a problem she should have called the employee in the office to discuss the issue. Too much hovering, too much gossip, constant turnovers, and many rules were not being followed.
Run as fast as you can
Pca (Former Employee), JacksonvilleDecember 30, 2014
Pros: free lunch, patients, check, overtime
Cons: barley take breaks, management, whole hospital in general
this place caused me to go into severe depression at on point. I hated going to work! I used to read reviews and say it can't be that bad...but it is.
IV Admixtures
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 16, 2014
Pros: iv training
Cons: only iv training
• Intravenous drug compounding trained.
• Relied upon math skills to complete product creation for delivery to patients.
People were pleasant, but only trained in IV room.
A pleasant and rewarding experience to work on interesting projects with so many professional and dedicated co-workers
Statistician Intern (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLDecember 8, 2014
It is a very rewarding and uplifting experience to work at Shands Healthcare. There are plenty of opportunities from the projects by which I can utilize and expand my knowledge and sharpen my skills. The co-workers here are friendly, professional and dedicated.
Co-Workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLAugust 14, 2014
Pros: the different work cultures within a large environment.
Cons: unsheduled breaks and lunch periods.
I came away with a stronger understanding of the importance of understanding and accepting co-workers personal growth.
THE WORST PLACE I'VE EVER WORKED
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), JacksonvilleJune 17, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management with no skills
UF Health Jax could be a great place to work. However, the managerial staff had no clue how to treat their employees. In the OR, for the most part the Physicians were great. The nurse manager could care less about the patients. Always very rude and condescending to the staff. It was all about how fast the OR rooms could be turned over for the next surgery to start. NO compassion for the patients, very mechanical. No communication with the staff (except to gossip about other employee's.)
My advise is to do your homework before excepting the handsome job offer you may get. Know who you'll be working for! In the year + I was there 5 people quit...
Suck place ever
administration (Former Employee), Gainesville, FlJune 7, 2014
Poor management,, security, , nurses,, doctors are racist
Shands provided me with the best training, a great workplace and an excellent staff to work with
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJune 1, 2014
Pros: excellent colleagues, very willing to teach about everything
Cons: short staffed, short breaks.
Shands Hospital is a level 1 trauma hospital, we usually don't know what kind of procedure we will do for a trauma so we will just be ready for anything. All the staff works hand in hand in providing the best care to the patient. The hardest part of the job is that the hospital is understaffed and it takes months before the newly hired staff starts working because of the 6 months orientation. However, it feels very rewarding when I am able to go through a day without any problems encountered. If I was able to do my job efficiently.
THE LAB
sUPERVISOR (Former Employee), GAINESVILLE,FLAMay 12, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: management in the lab
The lab is the WORST area of this hospital to be employed. There is a GANG that was hired on from AGH. They are the shadiest people I have ever come in contact with. The management is AWFUL and thats putting it nicely. My experience was a nightmare. Lets talk about Employee Relations and the breach of confidential information given to managers when an employee comes to them for guidence. The lab director is CAT all she does is cover up all day protecting the same managers that should have been given competency testing themselves. The manager that will hire you will be all nice at first and then she turns into a prison guard and will work you like her slave. just ask current employees. STAY AWAY look for someone that will respect you and your work. A EMPLOYEE AT SHANDS HAS NO RIGHTS.
Uninterested in recruiting
interview (Former Employee), Gainesville floridaApril 12, 2014
Pros: poor
Cons: poor
I was called and told only one time appointment by a computer. They threw away a great employee.
It was ok
Telecommunication Tech (Current Employee), Gainesville, FloridaMarch 19, 2014
Pros: most of the people were easy to work with
Cons: no lunch breaks, pay was awful, environment wasn't clean enough
The job is easy to do. But the management cared too much about what other departments think of us even though we did the best we could with what we had. Management didn't care about employees. Management always promised to try to get a better pay grade that never happened and never will. We did more work that most call centers probably more than police dispatchers and the pay was awful. We only received 2 fifteen minute breaks in the entire day even if we worked 10 hour shifts.
that was nice place to work with.
pca (Former Employee), shamds jacksonvilleDecember 7, 2013
it was ok for me at that time i was make living there. for myselt and my family is was good place i wad learn so many think have so much find i was enjoiy it.
Poor Management
Office Representative (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLNovember 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits, employee advancement
Cons: poor management decision making, doesnt acknowledge all employees
I was an employee for 3 years at Shands Hospital. I was able to smoothly transfer from Part-time to Full-time within a year of my hire date. Great co-workers. Poor manangement. Some supervisors have no control over their employees. They never have your back in certain situations. Upper management, Human resources and "Employee relations" have the ultimate say so over you as an employee. Shands only values Phycisians and Nurses if your are anything less you basically have no voice and are highly unappreciated.
Great Place to work..Horrible Management
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville FlNovember 5, 2013
Pros: health benefits
Cons: management
I was employed with Shands for over 3 years, and i must say i loved the work but management sucked, i was constantly sexually harassed. Managements was constantly stealing supplies from the hospital, worker were never appreciated no matter how excellent their work performance were. And dont waste your time paying union dues because it wont save your job or keep you employed. .........Horrible!!!!!!!!!!
Transfer coordinator
Transfer coordinator (Former Employee), Gainesville FloridaOctober 9, 2013
Pros: inside work
Cons: very poorly managed
Very poorly managed by the supervisor. Policies and procedures change on a monthly if not weekly basis supervisor will not cover you or stand behind you but throw you under the bus whenever she can. Very high stress and difficult job to perform.
Unprofessional no Teamwork
EVS Tech 2 (Former Employee), Shands JaxOctober 3, 2013
Pros: health benefits
Cons: short staff, low pay for the work, inexperienced supervisors
I worked for this hospital for 2 years and it was one of the worst experience I have ever had. We were always short staffed, inexperienced supervisors, staff showed no respect for each other. I put my resignation in 3 weeks in advance and the day before me leaving they offered me a raise, I didn't take it, I had had enough. Would not recommend this place.
Very productive job
Traveling Clinical Financial Counselor (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLOctober 1, 2013
Insurance working with customer regarding there insurance and assistant when needed.
Shands Healthcare was a wonderful place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: feeling appreciated
Cons: when another company took over the hospital i worked at, things went downhill.
I really enjoyed working for Shands Healthcare. One of the most important things to me as a nurse is feeling appreciated. I don't care as much about the money or anything like that, I just like to feel appreciated from time to time. Our boss would go through the breakroom and simply write "Thanks for all you do" on the dry-erase board. That didn't cost anything but went a long way with the staff. Everyone at Shands just seemed to be really glad you were there and you were taking care of their customers.
Transfusion Service at a Level 1 Trauma Hospital
Transfusion Service Technologist (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 30, 2013
Pros: exciting work, never boring
Very busy transfusion service in a level 1 Trauma center. Easy to moderately difficult antibody problems encountered on a daily basis. Never a dull moment. Job requires speed and complete accuracy. Provue automation very helpful. Teamwork is a must. My real talent lies in resolving very difficult antibody problems.
Overworked and no ancillary staff
Nursing (Former Employee), Jacksonville,Fl.August 20, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: no time to breath, eat, or go to bathroom
12hr shifts not enough time to complete everything on the clock.Some punched out and stayed past their shift even though it was not allowed. The staff got along but there are always slackers that no one fired.No time to eat,I would eat snack at desk while charting.I did like walking rounds with on coming staff and I enjoyed helping my patients.The patients all needed alot of care from gun shot wounds,amputations,aids,blood transfusions,vents,assisting MD in room proceedures,etc. If next shift called off or didn't show up you'd have to stay...then you can be working 24hrs straight. I felt that the patients were in jeopardy as well as my own health and license.