Shands Healthcare Employee Reviews

Shands
Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 13, 2017
Great place work and gain working experience. Working atmosphere is good, but it is best to keep personal business to yourself. Avoid gossiping about co-workers or mutual friends with employees or co-workers. Pretty much just go into work to do your job, then leave when work is complete.
Pros
A lot of shops to buy little gifts, food, and clothing
Cons
You end up spending you entire check
they dont care about their employees.
Patient Sitter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 20, 2017
they don't care for their employees. for example you are only allowed to call out once a year. Also if a new manger comes they fire people left and right.
Pros
pay, breaks
Cons
they dont care if your sick and cant come in.
great place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 17, 2017
I love working in a fast paced clinic. Everyone is helpful and eager to teach anyone in need. The benefits are great and there is plenty of room for advancement. If you love working and helping others this is the place to work.
benefits
Cons
parking
Warning Donot work Shands security
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Shands HospitalJune 7, 2017
Horrible experience...they could not pay me to work there security...The security department is terrible. You go through soo much for little of money. They will fire you for anything...apply for other positions besides security. You might as well work at Pelican Bay.
great place to work some managers are hard to get along with
PCA/CNA (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 5, 2017
Some of the Managers are hard to get along with but overall a great place to work. You do have to pay for your own parking and it is a long walk to the hospital from the garage but you an be included in great employee benefits
Pros
Employee Benefits
Bad Experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 6, 2017
I once worked as a security officer at Shands in Jacksonville. Don't apply for a job in the security department. The management in security is biased.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management And No Union In The Security Department
A productive day at my job
Functions as an patient care assistant (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 3, 2017
My job consists of me meeting and greeting patients who are waiting to see the physician for their check up. I check patients weight and vital signs, then walk them to their room. Set rooms up for procedures. I maintain a comfortable wait experience for each patient. Provides great customer care to both patients and their family members.
I've learned about different cancers that patients may have and what type of radiation treatment is bring provided to help cure the patients. I also learned about different equipment that is used to examine each patient during their check-ups.
Management their is reasonable and understanding. The workplace culture is very warming, everyone works well together. The hardest part of my job is experiencing what each patient and family member goes through when they are first being diagnosed or when some patients doesn't have family support. The most enjoyable part of my job and creating a bond with the patients and being able to offer help and support to them.
Terrible management!!
Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2017
I worked for Shands for over a decade and have seen them run off countless good managers because the directors and HR bully them into doing shady things to their staff. The managers currently encourage back stabbing and writing of emails that aren't true all to collect a paper trail. HR is one of the slowest and most biased departments out there believing anything the manager says against you. I even know some staff who have fought for wrongful termination and won their case because they don't follow their own rules! I can say the staff you work with usually is amazing and pulls together to get things done but you are overworked and understaffed and of course management does nothing but offer bonuses for those who are already stretched thin. Great opportunity for education and making you a strong nurse but at what expense. I would not recommend UF Health Jacksonville to any nurse!!
Pros
Education, teamwork
Cons
Management, under staffed, not safe staffing ratios
fun
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 31, 2017
i loved my job and all the people its a nice fun place to learn new skills and meet new people. of course it had its down sides just as all work places do but over all it was a great job.
Pros
salary
Cons
manager
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2017
The employees are nice and helpful. Plenty opportunity to grow with the company. Some careers the hospital will reimburse you. Opportunity to transfer to different departments.
Pros
Opportunity to grow with company
Cons
Certain shifts
Forced out by Harassment after over a Decade
RN (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 11, 2017
Despite outstanding reviews, I was forced out by severe harassment (including by my Director) such that I feared for my life. Management of this hospital is evil. Unless you're part of the club, don't work here. You'll know what I mean if you *are* part of the club; if you don't know what I mean, then don't work here.
Pros
Competitive pay for nurses.
Cons
You'd better be part of the club.
Catering Associate
Catering Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 14, 2017
Management lies all the time
Co Workers are bullies
No overtime
Worst department in the hospital

Food is great but they way we were treated was horrible, I truly know what being a slave feels like.
Pros
Being able to advance to another position
Cons
Management, pay, co workers
Work
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Alot of walking with the patients helping them and the family helping patients in and out of bed cleaning people up lots of charting on the patients each time something is done assisting the pcas and the nurses with whatever is needed and keeping things stocked also answering phones directing calls to the correct person
Beware
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 30, 2016
Strict dress code and policies. Very unfair practices. HR believes everything the manager says to get rid of staff. High expectations with no advance.
Benefits
Cons
Management, bullies, HR is bias
I enjoyed working at Shands. There is always room for advancement.
Financial Counselor / Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 25, 2016
I started at Shands in 2004 and enjoyed working there. There is room for advancement and the pay is pretty good along with the benefits.
Pros
Good pay and advancement
Such a alsome place to work l worked 10 years there.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 13, 2016
My sister was very ill so left my job to move to Tampa. Shands was a great teaching hospital and boy did l learn alot. I started from the bottom. Before l left l was a supervisor.
Has its ups and downs
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2016
It's a good place to work you just have to stay to yourself an do your job correctly and in a fast pace . Have to be willing to multitask and help others that are a little bit older
Pros
Food, People, The pay
Cons
Short breaks, lazy coworkers, too much drama
The place gets you sick. Not better
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 5, 2016
I've applied at Shands numerous times for jobs and these people don't even have the decency to respond. I think in Gainsville you need to know an insider to get a job. The place is insane. Students are doing physician jobs . Workers are rude and impatient . I always recommend patients to North Florida..not that madhouse.
RN infusionist
RN infusion oncology (Former Employee) –  BaymeadowsOctober 3, 2016
I worked in the infusion department for a short time. If they want to keep their newly hired staff they will have to get rid of their training nurse. He trains with the "gotcha" "caught cha" attitude. He actually hides around corners spying on you doing your job just to jump out and claim you should have done it another way, usually his way. His motto when training is "Do as I say not as I do" this I might add includes not wearing the required type amount of gloves when administering chemo, then of course telling you to wear the same disposable gown for the week if you didn't get it dirty rather than changing it daily as per regulatory requirements. So if you do make an error he purposefully demeans and reprimands you in front of your patient. Be careful who you treat so badly while trying to pat yourself on the back, they may be the same people you run into later in life in your profession. It's a small world and you never actually know who someone knows or can report to.
Pros
Great patients, MD's easy to get along with, lab staff great, easy computer program.
Cons
Training staff
Love helping patients, hated being the only one working
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 30, 2016
I was always belittled & treated poorly.If not part of the in crowd u get no help.I actually had walked in on co-worker having a relationship in exam room. Can't explain more. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Horrible place to work.... terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shands Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9