Shane Company Employee Reviews

Long hours, insane micromanagement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 4, 2017
Worked there for a year and a half. Management at the Louisville, KY store preach about "one team, one company" but don't behave in such a way. No idea how to communicate with people. Manager has no sincerity when talking to employees. It was awful.
Pros
Some great people in sales, the office, and the shop work there. The office manager is great. Some top talent in salespeople.
Cons
Complete micromanagement. Turnover is insane. I saw 10 people quit in the time I was there.
Don't work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington StateApril 16, 2017
Clueless management. Under appreciated employees. Terrible pay for their "culture". The people who make more have more perks and everyone else has to put in the labor and overtime. Turnover is insane because people can't afford to work there. Get real
Great company culture and friendly retail hours
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAApril 4, 2017
Great people-focused and service-oriented company culture.
Outstanding benefits.
Team comradery.
They will teach and educate you on your product to help you in your job.
Work/life balance not ideal for management.
Fun work environment, good culture
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 14, 2017
Appreciated the company culture. Fun place to work. Liked working with customers. Of course, holidays and weekends are the busy time, so family time suffers.
Pros
Fun work, good culture, pay well
Cons
Retail hours
The company work culture is the worst!
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2017
The work culture is the worst. They call it a "coaching" environment but it's basically being extremely micro managed all day everyday. They try to sell you on all of this extra bonus money that you'll make the meeting and exceeding goals, but it really only accumulates to about 50 extra dollars a month. They also try to make it seem that a non-commissioned environment makes the job more tolerable, but they still pressure and force customers into sales. If you have any kind of morals, values or integrity this not a place for you! This job is for a person who only works well within a system you can not be an individual mind or any kind of free thinking. Worst job and worst decision I ever made in my retail career.
Amazing Company
Sales and Office Coordinator/Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 1, 2017
As one of the most iconic and recognized jewelers throughout the U.S., this is absolutely a great company to work for. From intelligent staffing, informative training practices to daily operations, Shane Co. is a wonderful company to work for.
Great Company
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 16, 2017
Enjoyed working for a company that is customer focused with impressive prices. Excellent training available, benefits for employees, and recognition for performance.
Keeps you on your toes
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 17, 2017
overall it is a decent place to work at but can be stressful at times. It is true we do not work on commission but store goals are still structured as if you did work on commission.
Pros
sometimes free lunches
Cons
no commission
Amazing
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CODecember 13, 2016
All of the staff in the store is absolutely amazing, and would bend over backwards to help you in any way that they can. You go through extensive training, and prepared for your day at work.
Benefits
Cons
N/a
Great pay, no work life balance
Associate (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 6, 2016
I was loyal to the company for many years because I loved the people and valued the product. They have tried for many years to provide an open culture but have fallen short on many levels to make this happen. The compensation is fair, although the hours are long and the work is stressful because your hands are tied when you are attempting to increase your revenue.
Pros
incentives
Cons
poor culture
Was not a good fit for me.
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 7, 2016
You spend most of the day cleaning jewelry.
I was already hired with a degree and many yrs of experience. If you don't do it there way management makes you wanna leave/quite your job. The co-workers for the most part are easy going. Learning there culture was the hardest part, the most enjoyable part was the hours. Over all i did not fit in there, if you have many years of experience in jewelry you want like it. They prefer to hire non- experienced empolyees, so they can teach you there way. Great place for a beginner in the jewelry sales.
Pros
Benfits are good.
Cons
Management want let you advance.
Shane Co.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJuly 7, 2016
A typical work day at Shane Co. is long and it takes up all of your day. I think it is mostly because of the store business hours. I have learned that as a younger generation, we are more interested in experiences than material things. We have talked about that topic, a lot. Management is a work in progress... There is not a lot of "seek first to understand." My co-workers are the reason I am still going strong. A great up-lifting atmosphere from my equals. The most difficult part of the job is the hours and balancing it with lift outside of work.
Pros
Lot of incentive
Cons
Culture of Excellence, training and support.
Diamond Consultant, Sales (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 10, 2016
A typical workday began with a review by the managers about what was going on in the company, how many quotas we had to fill, and asking employees if they had questions/concerns.

I learned so much at Shane Company! Their training lasted for four weeks, and was intense. We were taught about diamonds, gems, metals, customer fears/concerns, customer care, and the inner workings of the company (diamond bay). I learned how to sell loose diamonds, and know the difference between a fake. TRAINING WAS EXCELLENT! I learned how to measure, weigh, and hold a diamond with a tweezers...and how to use a loop, and how to teach customers to do the same. I learned that Shane valued the variety of personality that made up our "team."

Management was very clever, very smart. They offered great incentives, and valued the diversity of the sales team. There was no racism, classism, or ageism at Shane. Some managers were under strain, and it showed at times. Since I was not in management, I cannot say what drove this, but Shane had very high standards.

My co-workers were for the most part, very nice people. They were warm, helpful and while they were dealing with their own problems as humans do, they were kind and had a team spirit. I felt that most everyone wanted to see others succeed. Because management was so strong, there was very little drama.

The hardest part of the job (as a newcomer) was learning the ropes of loss prevention. Shane was very strict on this, and on a daily basis employees would be written up for numerous infractions that may have seemed unfair at the time,
  more... but were a huge learning curve for me personally. Looking back, I think that it was kind of "military," but also a reason for their success,

The most enjoyable part of my job was what I learned, and how I learned to do it. I had a high customer satisfaction rate, and was often rewarded for that. Very important. I liked my co-workers and respected them...something that was demanded, which you don't see often. At first I didn't understand the importance of "turning over" a sale, but see it clearly now. I enjoyed my time at Shane, and hold them as a standard of excellence in my job memories.
Pros
Excellent training and staff support.
Cons
After being at other jewelry stores, I cannot name any.
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAFebruary 3, 2016
Sales associates are thoroughly trained and have ample opportunities to grow with the company. Great customer base, as you are helping customers with their most precious gifts.
Pros
Great work environment
Good Benefits Bad HR
Job Bag Team (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 23, 2016
This was a good company with great benefits until they went bankrupt and let a lot of people, including me, go. They Offered a competitive pay with benefits but no real job advancement opportunities or schooling to advance within the company.
Pros
Flexibility with work hours
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Great company, horrible management.
Diamond consultant (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 23, 2015
This company/store could be absolutely great. The merchandise was exquisite, best customer service as a consumer, all the services and benefits were amazing. For retail the hours were great. The one turnoff was management. These managers are on an all time power kick. They would talk down to you in every possible way, pretty much made you feel inferior. I always thought that it was just me but pretty much everyone felt the same, which was a breath of fresh air.
Pros
Hours, merchandise, this company feeds you a lot, hour lunch, high hours
Cons
No commission, bonuses were no existent, power hungry management, Saturday morning meetings, manager meetings are hours long
m
associate (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 1, 2015
A typical day at work and management and hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable part of the job. What else can one say.
Fun work environment with intense training.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTAugust 25, 2015
Every shift will begin around 9:30 in the morning or 12:00 in the afternoon. You work 8 hour shifts everyday with an hour lunch on weekdays and 30 minute lunch on Saturdays. Expect to work every Saturday only taking them off with vacation time. In the beginning of your training you will learn about the product which includes diamonds, sapphires, pearls and multiple precious metals. For about a month and a half you will be studying these along with sales tactics. The training is very intense but is needed for you to be ready to help customers. The management is a joy to work with and is ready to help you any way they can. My co-workers do their job well and are probably the best thing about this job. The hardest part will be taking constant feedback about sales and what you can improve on. They will oftentimes listen to your sales along with your associates to help you improve but borders the line of micro-managing. I've learned a lot about sales and of course the product which I very much enjoyed and loved teaching people about them.
Pros
Non- commission with great pay.
Cons
Work every Saturday and hard to get vacations.
Pleasant work environment with great hiring practices
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJuly 28, 2015
I loved my time at Shane Co. The only reason that I am no longer working for them is my cross-country move. Almost all of management was great, very supportive and encouraging, and the entire team had fun together. They also have fantastic customer service and diamond/jewelry training.
Great for being retail
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJuly 24, 2015
Other than retail hours, this job is great! The people are awesome and the culture is phenomenal. The only reason I left is because they weren't able to find an internship for me during my MBA program.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shane Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9