Shangri-La Employee Reviews

Great Support
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 20, 2017
Good managers with sincere care for the clients. Easy to work with regarding scheduling, filling in at different sites if you ask for more work and give good feedback to job performance.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Pay is below par
great people
Landscaper/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 4, 2017
Enjoyed working every day.Great people work with.Loved being outside working.trained people on machinery like weedeater,blower,rider,mower.Just great place to work.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
pay low
Fun
Mental health specialist (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 17, 2017
Great experience. Great people. Would trade the experience for anything . People were friendly and very willing to help. Hours were great. Customers were awesome
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
It's Okay
Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 26, 2017
For the most part this is a great company to work for. However, once you are in a management position your work/life balance goes out the window. The pay you receive in a management position does not outweigh all the added responsibilities, stress, and time away from your home. If you are not looking for a management position though then I would suggest this company to anyone as it is a great place to work as a regular staff member.
Laid back place to work with easy-going scheduling
Independent Living Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 23, 2017
This is a great job to work at if you are going to school. The hours are super flexible, and the pay is good. All of the staff are super friendly and inclusive.
Pros
flexible hours, pay, payed vacations
Cons
lots of down time with clients, do not always get enough work
Not Very Good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOApril 27, 2017
Working at this place made me look at nursing homes in a different direction. The management in the place did not do a very good job, I felt like they didn't care about the employees or residents at all. The workers didn't do there their jobs at all, CNA mostly . Residents would seek help from me before they went to get their CNA who they couldn't find most of the time. I would never recommend anyone to take their family to this location.
A wonderful atmosphere to work with people, learn lots and better yourself as a person
Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, OROctober 10, 2016
I worked a mental health support specialist working in a residential care home. The manager was really great and worked with the residents and staff to have a person centered environment. Management taught me to be a better person. There was so much to be learned from the residents as well to help them with their behaviors. The most enjoyable part of this job was the residents. To see each of them smile and know you are making a difference. That is the dream.
Pros
Free meals with residents, good atmosphere
Great Company
Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 6, 2016
I enjoyed working for Shangri-La, and wish I had been there longer, but due to personal issues at home I had to part ways. The management was superb, and truly cared about the staff. The CEO made it her mission to get to know the new employees and showed a genuine interest in each person who worked at the company. The pay rate starting off was higher then most other companies in the same field, and benefits were comparable to most other companies. Overall I would suggest working for this company as they stand by their mission and ensure the employees do well and are satisfied with their role in the company.
Pros
Great enviornment, great management, strong mission.
Cons
Training went too quickly and should have more in house training.
Nice people, terrible work ethnic
Mental Health Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORSeptember 5, 2016
I worked for Shangril-La for two years. When I first started I thought the company was amazing and It made me feel great about working. After about a year, I realized that Shangril-La does not care about their employees or even their residents as much as they say. All Shangril-La cares about is money. Every important decision is made based on the amount of money they will get from it. They say they are a non profit organization, but all they care about is their profit.
Pros
good pay for having no experience
Cons
money is most important to them.
Gossipy
Support trainer (Former Employee) –  Keizer OregonSeptember 1, 2016
Worked at jodell the manager there there is awesome. But not available or there enough in the home to structure the staff. Working with high behaviors compensation does not reflect the job position. Staff has to care for the individuals deal with high behaviors also share the wealth which means you do a job that either assistant manager or the manager should be doing and a LEAP program in house Day program taking the individual out in the community. Ongoing problem with staff calling out sick gossiping or targeting other staff. Overall the clients were pretty good but not enough pay for what you're doing it's partial CNA work.
Pros
The manager at jodell and the clients
Cons
Disrespectful gossipy staff with too much time on their hands
Productive and fun place to work
ERN Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORDecember 17, 2015
A very fun place to work well helping other,this program is a non-profit and helps people learn new skills to find work without taking money out of there pockets. they partner with DHS and Chemeketa community college. to help others.
Pros
Awesome place to work
Cons
some of the clients were not so friendly.
Great Place
MHSS (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 29, 2015
Its a great place to gain experience. They are working hard to help employee advance in their careers. I started lots of scheduling options and various locations.
Shangri-La
Mental Health Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 15, 2015
Shangri-La is a great place to work, and engage with people from various populations. I enjoy working there, as it is a people oriented organization.
Pros
Trust Plus Culture
Cons
Some homes don't streamline this cutlure
nice place to work
Waiter (Former Employee) –  el paso, txApril 28, 2015
•Explain how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods

•Prepared checks that itemized the total meal costs and sales taxes

•Presented menus to customers and answered questions about menu items, making recommendations upon request
Pros
fun times
Cons
no discounts
Family- At work and home are important
Housing Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 23, 2013
I worked for this company for along time. They were very good to me and my family. I grew up with this company. The hardest part of the job was the change the evolution. and recreating the same culture that inspired me to work there. As the time passes is it getting back to the days where this was family. The most enjoyable part is the people, the individuals we worked with and their families. The activities we did and the memories we made.
Pros
competive benefits.
Cons
A wounderful expirance, also a fun place to be.
Support Trainer (Former Employee) –  Florence OR 97439July 11, 2012
In my opioion this is a great job for people like me. That love to help others, be interactive, and also have a little veritey in a work place. A typical day at work was welcoming the clients home from work, visiting with them, cooking meals, getting them what they needed it when they needed it. Be social with them. Help them with independance as well as let them know they are like family. Co-worker worked as a team to make sure the job was done and that the clients were safe and happy. The hardest part of the job was the begining, knowing what to exspect but know that there lives are in my hands. The most enjoyable part of the job was the clients themselves, the smiles on there faces when i was at their home with them, or the conversations and fun that we could have sitting down all at the dinner table, the overall joy is the clients themselves.
Pros
the clients, good schedules, and teamwork