Shape Corp Employee Reviews in United States

Best job I've ever had
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIDecember 11, 2015
Shape is an excellent company to work for. The upper management cares about their associates and there is a true family atmosphere. The benefits provided are among the best you will find from an employer. I recommend shape corp to anyone looking for a career.
Great most of the time
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIJuly 28, 2015
Shape Corp can be a great place to work. They call themselves a family and truly try to create a family environment in the workplace. You have to know who to stay away from and how to keep to yourself, however you will also make great friends with some of the people you work close to. Management is constantly encouraging if you want to move forward within the company, however it can also be a very stressful job as machines can breakdown which makes it difficult to meet deadlines that supervisors are responsible for, and ultimately the pressure is put on your shoulders. I would have transferred to another plant in a second if I had not moved to an area without a Shape plant nearby.
Pros
Great benefits, room for advancement, free lunch at bonus meetings
Cons
Stressful, occasional mandatory weekend work
Great hours and fun coworkers, but poor management
Welder (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MISeptember 21, 2015
Shape manufactures automotive parts; particularly bumpers. Worked from 6:10 am - 2:30 pm Monday - Friday. Mostly welded and worked machines.There was often times mandatory overtime due to managements poor use of time as well as neglecting to hire more workers, despite the nonstop orders from customers. I was constatly told that the company saves money by not hiring because it costs more to hire another shift and pay their benefits than it does to work your crew to the bone and pay them overtime pay. Because of this, multiple people quite. Compensation wasn't all that great, but the benefits were decent.
Pros
good hours
Cons
worked hard for minimal pay
I do not recommend that you work here.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIJune 20, 2015
I personally did not enjoy working here most days and do not advise that you work here. Management is not reliable. You basically have to reiterate your needs and/or questions 2-3 times for them to even act upon them. There are mandatory weekends every other weekend for everyone who is not a temp. Gossip is abundant there and the raises are next to nothing. However you get a lot of vacation hours every six months and the benefits are great which include medical, dental and vision
Pros
Excellent benefits, plenty of vacation hours, Occasional lack of work
Cons
Unreliable management
Growing Company
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MINovember 8, 2015
Company is exploding right now. The management is having a rough time staying caught up with all the production needs, often working weekends or mandatory 10-12 hour days.
Pros
401k, health care
Cons
short breaks
Decent Job, not well paying
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 26, 2015
As a production supervisor I handle the day to day operations on the production floor during 3rd Shift. Basically manage the training of new operators and development of all employees. Management can be difficult to work with at times and unwilling to give good raises or competitive wages in general. For the most part co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with our employee turnover rate which is very high due to the low pay scale of most of the positions throughout the plant with the exception of management. It is rewarding to work with people on a day to day basis.
Pros
Co-workers, health benifits
Cons
Low paying, poor management
i have learned a lot at shape.
PUMA (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MISeptember 19, 2015
shape is a good job, and I have learned many things. I am not happy with the management, and I feel there is no opportunity for advancement. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. There were many challenging tasks, that made me grow and become a good worker, and understanding my roll in working for a large company.
It is an alright place great for a starting point!
Manufacturing Technician / Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIJune 24, 2015
Shape corp. Is a pretty decent company great for getting your feet in the door in the automotive industry. While we make mostly bumpers there are many different things we produce for car manufactures. There is a lot to be taught at Shape. with there own schooling programs for becoming MANY different careers. Including Weld Technician,Tool and Dye , Rollforming, and many more. Though at times it seems like you are working basically with high school kids at some points. Which honestly sometimes is the hardest part of the job along with the lack of communication from the supervisors to the Manufacturing technicians.
Pros
Great benefits ! Great Schooling!
Cons
Short breaks just ok pay (starts at 11.00) and miss communication
Decent job if you can get in
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIOctober 22, 2015
Was an ok job with consistent hours (besides the overtime) but management was terrible. Supervisor never new what was going on and was very unhelpful when any problems arose. The Shape staffing lady was also very rude and treated everyone like the were a lesser person. Co-workers were great for the most part. Lots of heavy lifting and constantly on you feet. Mandatory overtime and no time off until you are hired in (90 days).
Cons
Short Breaks, Lots of overtime, no willingness to work with temp requests
There are better companies out there.
Former employee. (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 9, 2016
The pay is ok but not the best. They pay you just enough to get you in the door but that's it. In order to move up you have to be buddy buddy with someone. The boneses could be better but it's shady how it works. The management finds ways to make there boneses top notch. And reviews are not based on performance but the test they make you take and other junk.
Pros
You get a paycheck just enough to get buy.
Cons
Too much to say.
Not a bad place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIOctober 12, 2015
Family oriented company with fair pay and benefits. Work consists of automotive and industrial manufacturing. Management qualities could be improved.
My hairline is receding because of this place
Rollform Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIJanuary 6, 2016
I absolutely dreaded going into this place every day. No number of parts that you produce is ever good enough to get off of weekend work (You are there 12 days straight and then two days off) or to get management to actually appreciate anything you do.They claim to be big on safety, yet just about every piece of equipment on my line was/is leaking hydraulic fluids and oils after numerous work orders to fix them. Someone slipped and had to get stitches in his head because of this. You get a 20 minute lunch (gulp it down, hurry up!) and one 10 minute break. It was a guessing game as to whether or not you're getting the holidays off. They would seriously tell you they "don't know" until the day before the holiday. I've left work for the weekend thinking I had it off and then was called and told it was mandatory that I show up on Saturday and Sunday. A lot of people that have been there for a while and have more skilled positions with better pay are quitting right now because of how bad it has gotten over the years. The thing about it is that the work itself is actually not bad, but the management makes it the worst place to work imaginable. I honestly think management inflates the rating on Indeed by submitting false reviews (I definitely wouldn't put it past them, because they are lying snakes). I wouldn't wish being stuck working here on my worst enemy. It is that bad.
Pros
Opportunities to advance, because people are quitting left and right
Cons
Where do I begin?
Great company but could be better.
material handler (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIOctober 27, 2015
The work load they force on some of the employees should be balanced out between all of the workers. The job itself is pretty easy but can be alittle too much at times, and finding help is hard. The benefits Shape give are incredilbe. Some of the best around, They try hard to give the employees credit when its due.
Pros
Benefits, Bonuses, Vacation
Cons
Pay scale, Work load.
Very Pro employee
Machine operator Plastic (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MINovember 2, 2015
Very safety conscious, and had many employee benefits to offer.
Strict weekend / extra hour work schedule that was rotated.
Pros
Good opportunities to advance
Cons
Training was for a two week period, but not focused.
Good coworkers
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MINovember 7, 2015
A decent company to work for, job load is very fair and chance to advance in company is there if your willing to put the effort in. Pay is below average but benefits are great.
Pros
Coworkers are nice
Cons
20 minute lunch
Very Demanding
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 9, 2015
Although I have advanced within the company the compensation is less than desired and the workload and time spent here (long hours & weekends) don't add up to an enjoyable work environment or leave room for a healthy work/life balance.
A day at work.
Temporary Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MichiganJuly 1, 2015
The day is physical; loading machines and inspecting steel products with a focus on quality. I've learned to work well in groups to accomplish a goal. Working together with management and co-workers alike, I have noticed that open lines of communication and clearly stated instructions are very important. One of the hardest parts of the job is it's physical nature and repetition; which is inherent in this type of work, understanding ergonomics is important. I enjoy learning new things; new machines, new ways of doing things and seeing how other people accomplish tasks to help my ability.
shape.....
Cut And Etch Tech (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIDecember 30, 2015
working with the company and its employees wasn't all that great. Hr alone isn't great, but i did enjoy the type of work i did especially imaging. It was hard to learn though.
Great place to work with advancement and fun loving people.
CLIENT SERVICE/QUALITY CONTROL TECH (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIAugust 19, 2014
I loved working at Shape Corp. In the twenty years I worked there I was able to advance to a higher position every two years. My typical day was usually pleasant. Management would always listen to any concerns you had and find a way to resolve them. My co-workers were great. In fact I have made life long friends with a few of them. I can't think of anything to say about what was the hardest thing about my job. I really enjoyed working there. The most enjoyable thing about my job was just knowing I was going back the next day. It truly is a great place to work.
Pros
advancement with the company. working with great people.
Cons
the only con i can think of is our lunch break. it was only twenty minutes.
Great place to work with opportunities to advance.
Welding Technician II (Current Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIApril 26, 2015
I enjoy working at Shape Corp. They have a competitive wage system and give quarterly bonuses, as well as low cost benefits.
Pros
Bonuses, low cost insurance, competitive wages
Cons
Some supervisors play favorites too often.