Sharp Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

learning new things about the human body
Internship (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 22, 2015
take blood test to laboratory
help in medical procedures
help out preceptor
make sure patients felt comfortable
i got to learn new things about the human heart and how it works
Great place to work.
Line Cook (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 20, 2015
It was a great place to work for me. I got to work in several different departments. The staff was fun to work with. Got to know a bunch of cool people.
Great Company Culture
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
Pros: Great company culture
Cons: Bureaucracy, Human Resources
I love the benefits and company culture but career advancement is not easy to come by. The NA role is not well-defined and it leads to a lot of misunderstandings. It is designed so that it is impossible to make everyone happy.
Almost seems like a hotel. Fun group of people to work with.
concierge desk (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Friendly patients, one free meal, and enthusiastic workers
Cons: none
I had many different tasks in which I would help around the hospital. I learned to replace coffee, do blood runs, and do discharges.
Knowledgeable, hard-working social work team
Medical Social Work Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
I interned in the emergency department and learned so much from my field instructor and other staff members. Great place to work!
Operating Room Circulator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 24, 2015
Great place to work, the compensation and benefits were excellent and the call hours were great. I developed wonderful relationships with colleagues.
Postive, Productive
Operating Room Nurse (Former Employee), San Diego, CaApril 1, 2015
Productive team work that provides excellent patient care and service. Excellent leadership team that aims to provide staff with resources that enables them to complete goals efficiently and effectively.
Guest Services / Volunteer Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2015
All the staff are wonderful to work with even those in other departments. Management is attentive to needs and are engaging. Ina single days work one can expect to connect with a variety of people. I have learned a variety of software programs to help with day to day needs. best part of te job is having opportunities to make someone else's day better
A very good hospital with high standards. A great place to work aswell.
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: good staff, and good patient care. clean and well organized.
Cons: cafeteria food could be better...
I worked at Sharp Memorial for almost 7 years, and it was quite sad to leave. Its a great campus with great facilities for both patients and employees. The culture is upbeat and friendly. Pay is competitive and they provide flexible schedules. Sharp offers some of the best benefits for its employees.
About my current job
Short Stay Observation Unit (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: education reinbursements, resource rn
Cons: on call when census is low
I had my first 5 person panel interview for this position which as first, was overwhelming with the thought of it but overall, was a great interview. today, I work on a fast paced unit that involves patient care receiving from ER, Outpatient Surgery Center, PACU, Cath lab, or direct admit from home. I can start off with 4patients and discharge all of them, and receive a brand new bunch of them during my 12hour shift. Our unit during dayshift is very busy but we all work together, teammate is the key. My employer takes care of the patient and their staff. They encourage staff to further their education by providing education reimbursements and to advance in our careers. I have worked for many hospitals and this one is the best in professionalism and care of the staff and most important.....patients. Although, during the day I may walk about 10,000 steps or more, i still have time to do all my work and have a little downtime. So far, this is the best unit i have worked on where i enjoy the flow of the patient care and my coworkers.
15 years employed with Sharp!!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2014
Well, I have left Sharp and come back 3 times. The grass isn't always greener and Sharp does have pretty good benefits.
Fun part time job
Phlebotomist/Specimen Accessioner (Former Employee), San Diego, CaAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere to work in. easy going.
Cons: could get repetitive. but i allayed that by changing my routine.
I would collect patient samples and specimens and submit them to be processed. At times, I would help in the processing. I learned more about team work and prioritization as well as urgency. I honed my phlebotomy and communication skills, becoming very efficient. Management was involved only rarely as I was able to self motivate and learn what I needed to do from some very helpful co-workers. The hardest part of the job was sometimes locating patients and missing venipuncture's, having to try multiple times. I know that I am not always going to be spot on, but I do try. I liked to meet the patients and communicating with them even though they might be in pain.
Motivating and information sharing environment
Managing Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2014
Pros: day shift/no weekends
Cons: on call obligations
The organization promotes team work and positive attitudes. The co-workers are supportive of each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to share my expertise in teaching both staff and clients/families. The hardest part of the job was learning Spanish so I could communicate with various dialects.
Punitive management,talented surgeons
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2014
Pros: getting to work with talented surgeons
Cons: having to work with people who didn't appreciate what a great job they had
Sharp hospitals' main OR was at one time an awesome place to work. Under the current regime it has become extremely punitive,employees are written up for even the smallest of infractions.It is my belief that this practice creates a culture of distrust and paranoia ultimately leading to more errors being made.
There is a complete disconnect between management and employees allowing for abuse of power by those who have an RN behind their name.
By and large my co workers were ok as with any large group there were those who enjoyed their job and those who avoided doing any more than the minimum to get by.
I loved working with the talented surgeons and learned a great deal from them.
Fun and productive place to work
RN (Former Employee), Outpatient PavilionJuly 17, 2014
I enjoyed working for Sharp. The people I worked with became my lifelong friends.
Was nice to work in a hospital with such a stellar reputaion
Registered Nurse, Medical Surgical Unit (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 26, 2014
Pros: working as part of a team, encouraged to grow and learn by managemant
Cons: no breaks-even during 8 hour shifts
I learned about caring for patients with a large variety of illnesses and infections,before and following a great many different types of surgical procedures. I think this made me very well rounded and very knowledgeable about many different types of nursing. As co-workers we worked closely together and helped one another when needed. It was so enjoyable to get to know patients and their families and I've always been able to develop a good rapport with them. The most difficult part of nursing in just about any specialty is that some patients may have a poor prognosis and this is difficult to have to deal with.
hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 3, 2014
Pros: magnet hospital, great people to work with
Cons: -------
hospital is great, best place to work, best place to provide care, bes place to practice
Fun place to work. I Have awesome co workers
Health Care Partner (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 30, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: compensation is not that competitive
Best place to work! There is always something new to learn everyday I am at work.The people I work with are supportive of each other and the team work is really awesome!
WONDERFUL ENVIRONMENT TO WORK FOR.
Laboratory Assistant /Lab Prep Technician (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAApril 23, 2014
I LOVED WORKING AT SHARP. I WAS ABLE TO LEARN A NEW TRADE.THE PEOPLE THERE WERE VERY HELPFUL ALONG MY EMPLOYMENT.
Ok place to work - management so-so at best
Security Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 1, 2014
OK at best for the Security Department. The commercials are better than the product.