Sharp Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Operating Room Circulator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2015
Great place to work, the compensation and benefits were excellent and the call hours were great. I developed wonderful relationships with colleagues.
Fun part time job
Phlebotomist/Specimen Accessioner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaAugust 21, 2014
I would collect patient samples and specimens and submit them to be processed. At times, I would help in the processing. I learned more about team work and prioritization as well as urgency. I honed my phlebotomy and communication skills, becoming very efficient. Management was involved only rarely as I was able to self motivate and learn what I needed to do from some very helpful co-workers. The hardest part of the job was sometimes locating patients and missing venipuncture's, having to try multiple times. I know that I am not always going to be spot on, but I do try. I liked to meet the patients and communicating with them even though they might be in pain.
Pros
good atmosphere to work in. easy going.
Cons
could get repetitive. but i allayed that by changing my routine.
Motivating and information sharing environment
Managing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2014
The organization promotes team work and positive attitudes. The co-workers are supportive of each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to share my expertise in teaching both staff and clients/families. The hardest part of the job was learning Spanish so I could communicate with various dialects.
Pros
day shift/no weekends
Cons
on call obligations
Was nice to work in a hospital with such a stellar reputaion
Registered Nurse, Medical Surgical Unit (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2014
I learned about caring for patients with a large variety of illnesses and infections,before and following a great many different types of surgical procedures. I think this made me very well rounded and very knowledgeable about many different types of nursing. As co-workers we worked closely together and helped one another when needed. It was so enjoyable to get to know patients and their families and I've always been able to develop a good rapport with them. The most difficult part of nursing in just about any specialty is that some patients may have a poor prognosis and this is difficult to have to deal with.
Pros
working as part of a team, encouraged to grow and learn by managemant
Cons
no breaks-even during 8 hour shifts
Punitive management,talented surgeons
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2014
Sharp hospitals' main OR was at one time an awesome place to work. Under the current regime it has become extremely punitive,employees are written up for even the smallest of infractions.It is my belief that this practice creates a culture of distrust and paranoia ultimately leading to more errors being made.
There is a complete disconnect between management and employees allowing for abuse of power by those who have an RN behind their name.
By and large my co workers were ok as with any large group there were those who enjoyed their job and those who avoided doing any more than the minimum to get by.
I loved working with the talented surgeons and learned a great deal from them.
Pros
getting to work with talented surgeons
Cons
having to work with people who didn't appreciate what a great job they had
Very busy Trauma Facility
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 30, 2013
A lot of trauma at this facility with 40 operating rooms. I learned a lot about organ harvesting and burn cases as well as micro re-implantation and Pelvic fractures along with other Ortho Trauma.
Co workers seemed to be very friendly and also very helpful.
I Didn't get to know many of my co workers or doctors very well since it was such a big facility. Yet I did enjoy working in that busy environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning as much as I did..
Pros
great place to learn with very competent staff
Cons
break and lunch predictions were difficult and sparse
Higher standard of emplyee
Per Diem Nurse (Current Employee) –  SRNSeptember 30, 2013
Sharp is wonderful because it has a strict culture of being warm and pleasant if you work there. Even when there is a personality difference or stressful situation, employees are expected to maintain professionalism and remain pleasant. No matter where you go in the facility, people are friendly.

The only downside is some of the nurse assistant to patient ratios which can be very high on some floors.
Pros
pleasant people, newer facility, high standard of care
Cons
expensive cafeteria, poor nurse assistant to patient ratios on some floors
fun to work for sharp memorial hospital good place to work excellent benefises
Material Specialist II Pulmonary (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 3, 2013
I learned how to work as customer services order supplies for the unit nicu help the patients relative to organised schedule to visit their patients assistant my co-workers to care patients and supplies them at the bed site..assistant my supervisor to organised schedule for the employees, I love how to restock supplies and do the inventory every year
Pros
get extra bonus every month
Cons
some times get short brakes but sometimes we went home early
Educational place to work
Clinical RN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 13, 2012
A typical day at work is very very busy
I learned that I should work more than excellent in order to garner an excellent rating

Management sometimes has favoritism.
My co-workers can be good teamplayers.
Hardest part of the job is when there's no time to feed myself when it gets too busy.Also when I need to go home on time but have to complete my documentation.Overtime after 12 hours shift.
Most enjoyable is when the team are all team players.
Pros
better bonuses
Cons
less equipment to use.
Great place to work and plenty of oppurtunities.
Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2013
Since I work in the emergency department work days are usually a fast pace enviornment and I have to be able to multi task. I've learned so many different computer programs and I learned how to multi task and get the job done in a timely matter. My co-workers are very helpful and without them my job would be ten times harder. We are a team and patiet care is number one to all of us. The hardest part of my job would be trying to please everybody at once. Their are so many orders that the ER Doctors put in and to please everybody can become some what overwhelming at times. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the satisfaction of knowing that I helped somebody and knowing that I play a roll to a patients health means a lot.
The best hospital to work
Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2013
I did learn a lot of experience while working in this hospital such as training dealing with stress job related,identifying the barriers in our unit, documentation by applying the use of CERNER computer programing and dealing the impact of illness through different physiologic ,emotional and spiritual behaviour of life.
Pros
work force is intact
Cons
very high acquity of the patients.
Supportive staff interested in advancing learning within their fields.
Artist in Residence (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2012
I worked 4 hours per day with adults who were inpatient in the Oncology Unit making artwork as a means to relieve stress, anxiety, reduce blood pressure and pain. Activities include but are not limited to; stop animation, mosaics, watercolor, drawing, needlepoint, sculpture, sumi ink painting, origami etc...
I Loved working for this company
Staffing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 28, 2014
Team working was the key everyone works together to make patients experience a SHARP experience. Management takes really good care of their employees.
The hardest part was having to leave due to my relocation/moved out of town.
Pros
great hospital, benefits, stable job & great co- workers
Cons
having to quit due to relocation
gainful experience wouldnt have traded it for the world.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2014
I enjoyed being part of the Sharp family. I had the opportunity to gain valuable experience in several departments such as PATHOLOGY,CYTOLOGY,HISTOLOGY and as a PHLEBOTOMIST.I also, worked with wonderful co-workers which whom I still remain friends with till this date.
Fun place to work. I Have awesome co workers
Health Care Partner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 30, 2014
Best place to work! There is always something new to learn everyday I am at work.The people I work with are supportive of each other and the team work is really awesome!
Pros
good benefits
Cons
compensation is not that competitive
Long time employee
mngr (Former Employee) –  san diegoFebruary 18, 2013
sharp is a joke, MONEY is there primary goal, pt care takes a back seat to administrative goals of Profit !
The Drs. are sub-par and often working with out a license for their area.
Pros
im not there...
Cons
they have $$ so they can advertise on tv, pt care and employee loyalty dont exist
the job was wonderful. Very fast paced and always had something to do and never boring because it was a trauma center right next to the bprr
Laboratory Asst. II (Former Employee) –  San Diego CaliforniaApril 29, 2012
My typical day of work was to do some data entry and pull all timed orders and themn the rest of my order for the rest of the night. I would wear a beeper and when a trauma was called, I had 2 minutes to get to the trauma room to get the blood from the trauma patient and get it to the lab asap. I would process all specimens and get them ready to be ran for the techs. I would spin all the blood and make slides and freeze specimens that needed to spread . make slides and count cells. I would do the petrie dishes to see what kind organisms were growing. I would answer the phones and do stat orders on code blues and send out any specialy jtests that were not done in house. I would also do urine drug screen and DOT drug screens. And much, much more.
Pros
patients, drawing blood, learning new ideas, benefits, graveyard shifts.
Cons
long hours, sick patients, angry physicians, demanding nurses.
Must move quickly
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2012
A typical day was started with light typing.
I learned to interact with all sorts of new people.
The hardest part was leaving the job.
The most enjoyable part talking to the nurses and doctors.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
to many managers
About my current job
Short Stay Observation Unit (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2014
I had my first 5 person panel interview for this position which as first, was overwhelming with the thought of it but overall, was a great interview. today, I work on a fast paced unit that involves patient care receiving from ER, Outpatient Surgery Center, PACU, Cath lab, or direct admit from home. I can start off with 4patients and discharge all of them, and receive a brand new bunch of them during my 12hour shift. Our unit during dayshift is very busy but we all work together, teammate is the key. My employer takes care of the patient and their staff. They encourage staff to further their education by providing education reimbursements and to advance in our careers. I have worked for many hospitals and this one is the best in professionalism and care of the staff and most important.....patients. Although, during the day I may walk about 10,000 steps or more, i still have time to do all my work and have a little downtime. So far, this is the best unit i have worked on where i enjoy the flow of the patient care and my coworkers.
Pros
education reinbursements, resource rn
Cons
on call when census is low
Productive and fun working environment with great customer service.
Nurse Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2013
I help the nurses and get patients things they need. I learned that i love helping people out and i want to pursue a job at becoming a Registered Nurse,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sharp Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4