Sharp Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Best Place TO Work
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Staffing Resource Network, Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2015
I started as a new graduate nurse, and love their new grad program. The hospital holds high standards for their nurses as they are a Magnet Hospital. I enjoy working at this hospital
All in days work
Non-Invasive EKG Tech (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2015
Typical day at work consist of an 8 hour shift at the metro hospital campus. There are 3 shifts in the department and I'm usually schedule on one of those shifts. I leaned a lot on the job, nothing like a classroom setting, dealing with actual patients is challenging but rewarding too. Co-workers are friendly as well as willing to train and assist when needed. The hardest part pf this job can be the work schedule. What I enjoy most about this job, the stability.
Pros
Stability, short breaks
Cons
Hard to get full time status
A company that has the time to inservice and educate all staff members.
Certified Surgical Technician Pier Diem (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2015
Sharp Memorial is a level 1 hospital with many specialities. It has over 25 operating rooms that mans a large staff like a well oiled machine. There is nothing hard about the job and the most enjoyable part of my day is when my patients regain restoration with a job wel done by the surgical team.
Pros
Organized
Cons
No free water and limited refrigerator space for lunch bags. Paid parking a mile away.
A friendly environment with high standards
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2015
I loved being a volunteer at sharp. Most of the staff are nice and caring. It is also the cleanest hospital I have ever been to.
Pros
Free food up to $6 for volunteers each day worked
Cons
Sometimes work can seem repetitive and boring
Compassionate and caring staff. A wonderful workplace environment.
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 24, 2015
This lab is part of a large hospital. As a phlebotomist, I was able to work in a variety of environments throughout the facility and it was usually a steady flow of work.
Pros
Competitive salaries and benefits
Cons
Can be quite busy
learning new things about the human body
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2015
take blood test to laboratory
help in medical procedures
help out preceptor
make sure patients felt comfortable
i got to learn new things about the human heart and how it works
Great place to work.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2015
It was a great place to work for me. I got to work in several different departments. The staff was fun to work with. Got to know a bunch of cool people.
Great Company Culture
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
I love the benefits and company culture but career advancement is not easy to come by. The NA role is not well-defined and it leads to a lot of misunderstandings. It is designed so that it is impossible to make everyone happy.
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
Bureaucracy, Human Resources
Almost seems like a hotel. Fun group of people to work with.
concierge desk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 3, 2015
I had many different tasks in which I would help around the hospital. I learned to replace coffee, do blood runs, and do discharges.
Pros
Friendly patients, one free meal, and enthusiastic workers
Cons
Knowledgeable, hard-working social work team
Medical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
I interned in the emergency department and learned so much from my field instructor and other staff members. Great place to work!
Operating Room Circulator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2015
Great place to work, the compensation and benefits were excellent and the call hours were great. I developed wonderful relationships with colleagues.
Postive, Productive
Operating Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaApril 1, 2015
Productive team work that provides excellent patient care and service. Excellent leadership team that aims to provide staff with resources that enables them to complete goals efficiently and effectively.
Guest Services / Volunteer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2015
All the staff are wonderful to work with even those in other departments. Management is attentive to needs and are engaging. Ina single days work one can expect to connect with a variety of people. I have learned a variety of software programs to help with day to day needs. best part of te job is having opportunities to make someone else's day better
A very good hospital with high standards. A great place to work aswell.
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2015
I worked at Sharp Memorial for almost 7 years, and it was quite sad to leave. Its a great campus with great facilities for both patients and employees. The culture is upbeat and friendly. Pay is competitive and they provide flexible schedules. Sharp offers some of the best benefits for its employees.
Pros
Good staff, and good patient care. Clean and well organized.
Cons
Cafeteria food could be better...
About my current job
Short Stay Observation Unit (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2014
I had my first 5 person panel interview for this position which as first, was overwhelming with the thought of it but overall, was a great interview. today, I work on a fast paced unit that involves patient care receiving from ER, Outpatient Surgery Center, PACU, Cath lab, or direct admit from home. I can start off with 4patients and discharge all of them, and receive a brand new bunch of them during my 12hour shift. Our unit during dayshift is very busy but we all work together, teammate is the key. My employer takes care of the patient and their staff. They encourage staff to further their education by providing education reimbursements and to advance in our careers. I have worked for many hospitals and this one is the best in professionalism and care of the staff and most important.....patients. Although, during the day I may walk about 10,000 steps or more, i still have time to do all my work and have a little downtime. So far, this is the best unit i have worked on where i enjoy the flow of the patient care and my coworkers.
Pros
education reinbursements, resource RN
Cons
on call when census is low
15 years employed with Sharp!!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2014
Well, I have left Sharp and come back 3 times. The grass isn't always greener and Sharp does have pretty good benefits.
Fun part time job
Phlebotomist/Specimen Accessioner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaAugust 21, 2014
I would collect patient samples and specimens and submit them to be processed. At times, I would help in the processing. I learned more about team work and prioritization as well as urgency. I honed my phlebotomy and communication skills, becoming very efficient. Management was involved only rarely as I was able to self motivate and learn what I needed to do from some very helpful co-workers. The hardest part of the job was sometimes locating patients and missing venipuncture's, having to try multiple times. I know that I am not always going to be spot on, but I do try. I liked to meet the patients and communicating with them even though they might be in pain.
Pros
Good atmosphere to work in. Easy going.
Cons
Could get repetitive. But I allayed that by changing my routine.
Motivating and information sharing environment
Managing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2014
The organization promotes team work and positive attitudes. The co-workers are supportive of each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to share my expertise in teaching both staff and clients/families. The hardest part of the job was learning Spanish so I could communicate with various dialects.
Pros
Day shift/no weekends
Cons
On call obligations
Punitive management,talented surgeons
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 29, 2014
Sharp hospitals' main OR was at one time an awesome place to work. Under the current regime it has become extremely punitive,employees are written up for even the smallest of infractions.It is my belief that this practice creates a culture of distrust and paranoia ultimately leading to more errors being made.
There is a complete disconnect between management and employees allowing for abuse of power by those who have an RN behind their name.
By and large my co workers were ok as with any large group there were those who enjoyed their job and those who avoided doing any more than the minimum to get by.
I loved working with the talented surgeons and learned a great deal from them.
Pros
Getting to work with talented surgeons
Cons
Having to work with people who didn't appreciate what a great job they had

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sharp Memorial Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3