Shasta County Employee Reviews

A lot of opportunity and great place to work
Senior staff services analyst (Current Employee) –  HHSANovember 6, 2016
I've worked for Shasta County HHSA for almost five years and am extremely grateful for the opportunities afforded me and work experienced gained. Having worked in two branches of the agency I was fortunate to work with amazing teams, Great supervisors and doing work that makes a difference. The pay is not equitable to other agency's, but you know what your pay range is going into it and if you want to make more money, don't work in government. Slow cumbersome processes but a great move toward process improvement and a lot of effort going toward creating positive workplace culture.
Pros
People, professional development, work/life balance
Cons
Processes
Great People in the Office
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Redding, CADecember 19, 2016
I have greatly enjoyed the opportunity I have had to work for the county. I am pursuing my Business Degree and know that there are not many chances to move up in my department. I am looking to find a position that lets me expand my knowledge and grow as a person.
Pros
Great co-workers, love being able to help the community
Cons
Not enough room to advance
Lack of training with unreasonable expectations to perform
Legal Clerk-Children's Services (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAOctober 11, 2016
If you enjoy data entry up the wazoo, lack or training, being expected to sign legal documents not knowing if they are done right, changing job duties with a lack of training, passive aggressive leadership, grumpy old ladies, poor morale and having most of your paycheck go to county fees, then this job is for you. The only plus side is that there are a few really cool co-workers who make coming to work fun. Otherwise, this place has a high turn over rate because of the negative aspects of this position.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Everything else
Typical Government workplace
HHSA (Former Employee) –  Redding CaApril 4, 2014
A typical government job, there is some good people there even on the management side, but the work load is such that most have a hard time keeping there head above water. I found the job to be extremely tedious and a lot times the best candidate (meaning the one with the best job performance history) does not get promoted because you have to pass a test that sometimes has nothing to do with your actual job functions. A VERY politically correct environment where speaking your mind is not encouraged and is sometimes punished. The decision process is very slow compared to the private sector. Hey its a job and pays the bills but the BS that goes with it for some is hard to handle...Be warned they take a lot out of your paycheck for retirement and health care it might be extremely shocking for some unless you have a big salary. There is no advantage having a government job over working in the private sector these days
Pros
Job Security, Meet some good people
Cons
Increasing Healthcare costs slow descisoin making, and tedious.
Working with disabled clients to keep them in there home
IHSS Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAAugust 12, 2016
Constant new applications requiring home visits to determine clients needs to remain in a safe home. Follow up to make sure they are safe and needs meet for health and safety.
Always on the move, never a dull moment.
Senior Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJuly 15, 2015
Over 50 co-workers at this place and all are energetic and friendly, always with a smile. Awesome place to work at. This place offers consistent opportunities to grow within. In less than three years I was got 3 promotions and always with a pay raise. Fringe benefits are great?
Pros
They really care for their employess's wellness and comfort.
Cons
I can't thik of one.
Shasta County Sheriff
Deputy Sheriff/Investigator (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAAugust 16, 2012
A great department to work for in Northern California.The management is very progressive and supportive. Numerous areas for advancement
Pros
pay, benefits, location
Cons
financial trouble within california governments
prepare to be financially shorted - job description was not actual job either
Eligibility Worker I (Former Employee) –  ReddingJanuary 14, 2013
Misleading job description. The actual position was not the same as the job I thought I was applying for. They offered me the very bottom of the advertised pay scale (A LOT less than my previous employment) and told me that was "what they start everyone off at" I came to find out that was not true - they are just trying to get workers for the cheapest price possible - thanks. So, I have issue with them. they pretend to "care" about people. If you really care - please pay me what I'm worth.

Also, the work I came to do was nothing like the job description - personally, I find that to be a problem. (People have their hopes up when applying for that job) The job description was somewhat of a "case worker" but the actual job was mostly just processing paperwork/data entry.

The management was very nice. (one plus) and generally cared about the well-being of the clients. I wasn't sure if they cared about the workers as much as the clients though, lol.

The health insurance is very misleading. If anything major goes wrong and you need surgery/hospitalization, you could end up paying up to $3000 out of pocket. I pretty much felt uninsured with that policy - knowing that if anything major did occur, I would be impoverished.

One of my biggest frustrations (outside salary) was the fact that they dedect a percentage of [an already modest] salary for the retirement fund. Will employees see that money again at the promised rate? With the economy the way it is - probably not, unfortunatly.

It could be okay pay if you *don't* have a degree (you do not need a degree for this position) However,
  more... if you do have a degree, they will not pay you more, based on it. And all future promotions are based on what *they initially hire you at* So only accept position if you are 100% satisfied with that salary - you will not be rewarded for hard work (monetarily)  less
Pros
not long hours, paid holidays, possible flex hours
Cons
poor dental/health insurance, they do not value workers since so many people are looking for work, political, state pension system
Professional environment with the opportunity for advancement.
Child Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redding, CANovember 14, 2013
A typical day at Shasta County Child Support would include reviewing your email and task list for an idea of what you need to accomplish each day with numerous interruptions for telephone calls and walk-in customers. Also, calculating child support obligations and processing legal documents.
Over my 23 years of employment, I have learned excellent customer service skills, organizational and time management skills as well as interpreting complex state and federal guidelines and regulations.
Management was supportive and allowed you the opportunity to work independently while providing guidance when necessary or requested.
The co-workers that I had the opportunity to work with were the best ever. Very supportive and willing to help each other as a team to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
The hardest part of the job was having to put down unfinished work. I like to complete everything I start and sometimes that wasn't possible, until the next day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers, both internal and external, to explain complex rules, regulations and procedures in a way that everyone understands. The teamwork was the best.
Pros
The opportunity to work both independently and as a team. Also, excellent benefits, health care, time off, etc.
Cons
Inability to work when the computer system was down.
Productive but stressful work atmosphere
Data Entry Operator III (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAApril 6, 2012
entering both claims and journals for county departments. Iworked well with my coworkers and management. very political office.
Pros
decorate our cubicles
Cons
health care and advancement opportunities
A caring and safety net workplace.
community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 21, 2014
In many ways this is intense work and one has to keep a sense of humor and perspective. My co-workers in general were an upbeat group, although a few nurses were very serious, they usually allowed for differences in personality's with Community Health workers. I learned that most of us humans are about the same in some ways, we just handle life situations ie. depression/sadness in different ways. Most people, I learned in this work just want to feel normal. . .and not to different from other people And I believe that's true for seniors that I've worked with, and special need children. People want to be respected and heard, they have pride and usually know that life has become difficult for them, my job was to make it a little easier for them; along with team work from other professionals.
The hardest part of the job was rotating shifts. Again the most enjoyable part was overall my co-workers and their different life experiences and sense of humor with regard for the patients.
Pros
free dinners, learning classes, etc.
Cons
going down to the basement on night shifts; for files, was always a bit unnerving for me.
Do Not Be Fooled!
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  ReddingMarch 8, 2013
Terrible work environment. No leadership at top level. Management is out for themselves and barely surviving. Incompetence and serious lack of integrity among top leadership.
CFS & Adoption
Office Assistant II Temporary (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 6, 2014
High stress, Fast Paced, Can be rewarding working with children.
Apply yourself and do not apply if you are lazy
Wex Worker
Clerical I (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Held the position of OA1. Worked with the public and Shasta County workers to help maintain an office and assist the public.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shasta County. Our community is ready to answer.

Shasta County Reviews by Location