Shaw's Supermarket

Shaw's Supermarket Employer Reviews

Great working experience!
Service Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Stoughton, MAAugust 12, 2014
Pros: everything; great job; kind staff; nice customers; great hours; great advancement opportunities;
Cons: that they had to close; a few lay-offs over time;
A typical day at work, I was either a cashier or a service desk clerk, which involved, refunds, exchanges, money transfers using Money Gram, customer service and information, transactions using cash credit cards vouchers and debit cards. Counting all cash drawers as well as the safe. Counting and selling lottery tickets, recording daily transactions – more... and drawer amounts.

I learned SO much working here. I learned how to use a cash register as a cashier, but I learned most things while working in the service desk. I learned how to till count cash, and add up all of the stores transactions and record them for management, I learned how to transfer money and make money orders, as well as providing customer service and information.

Management was a dream, they always had the answers to your questions and strived to make Shaws a great place to work and shop. They were always understanding and aware of customers needs as well as their employees needs. Schedules were always up on Friday by 3 o'clock, everyone got along great and people were rarely ever 'in toruble' with them. They understood how to make you feel important and involved with their company.

My cowokers there were amazing they are still good friends of mine to this day, there was never any friction between any of us.

The hardest part of the job was how busy it got., and even then it wasn't unbearable, especially at service desk, lucky for me I am always able to adapt to my environment and give it my all.

Everything was enjoyable about that job, if you needed more hours, they gave them to you, they never gave you less than the required 15, unless you asked for it. It was a friendly and fun work environment. I never once had the thought "Ughhh I have work today." – less
very tough work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Randolph, MAAugust 6, 2014
Was a cashier assited the consumer on the products they wanted to purchase.
Productive and clean with friendly workers
CSR (Current Employee), middletown, riJuly 21, 2014
Supervising the checkout department. Learned how to handle and solve difficult tasks. meeting and talking to customers is one of the best parts of my day at work.
Shaws
Cashier / Customer Service (Current Employee), Cohasset, MAJune 26, 2014
Pros: flexibity, great insurace benefits, and discounts on items
Cons: short breaks
I started working here when I was sophomore in high school. At a young age I've learned important skills such as finding balance from school and work. I like that this job was flexible with my work schedule when I was in college because I wanted to put all my focus, time, and hard work at Quincy College. A typical day at work is usually working at the – more... register, greeting the customer and processing their grocery orders. I would say the hardest about this job was giving a good work schedule because the time of classes always vary so it was very hard to give my manger a solid work schedule. What I enjoy most from this job was the friendly atmosphere from my co-worker and customers. – less
Fast paced environment and advancement oppurtunities
Store Closer/Key holder (Current Employee), Salem, NHJune 13, 2014
Pros: promote within the company
Cons: stipulations on benefits and poor morale
Customer oriented environment however corporate levels have little to no experience within the stores and put unrealistic expectations on their management teams. Since being acquired by an outside company, the morale within stores have depleted. Shaw's was ranked very low on a consumer report ranking the supermarkets in the nation. A constant complaint – more... from customers, is that the prices are too high and the company has done little to change this in the past year. – less
Customer Service Representitive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saco, MEMay 22, 2014
I enjoyed helping out he customers with lottery or cashing checks or any thing else they may have needed assistance with
Part Time Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Londonderry, NHMay 21, 2014
Spent days working on cash register, coralling carts, or helping customers
great co-workers and customers
Cashier (Former Employee), Seabrook, NHMay 9, 2014
Pros: breaks, and working with all types of people
Cons: carriage duty
provide excellent customer service ring up customers and cleaning duties, customer is always right. never argue with a customer be pleasant. dealing with an Irate customer is the hardest.
Awesome job, great people great times
Cashier, Lacarte Clerk, Asst. Lacarte Manager (Former Employee), Canton, CTMay 4, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: closed
If my pay could have supported a family and I wasn't over looked for a promotion I would have stayed there till the end. So sad when it closed
Treat their employees poorly
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee), Wilmington, VTApril 29, 2014
Cons: will find reasons not to give you a deserved raise
Once I was promoted and began asking for my raise (which I never got), the store manager found an unreasonable excuse to demote me. This happened to many others at my store. I quit shortly after.
Great place to work relaxed atmosphere.
Stocker (BOLD) (Former Employee), Dover-Foxcroft, MEApril 26, 2014
Pros: good working condotions and close to home.
Cons: just part time.
i worked early shift stocking shelves. Good people to work for and good co-workers. Hardest part of getting up in morning.
Most enjoyable part interacting with the public.
great frist job
Cashier (Former Employee), Londonderry, NHApril 14, 2014
Pros: good hours while in school
Cons: low paying
A typically day would include me working on a cash register to ring up items. I was responsible for keeping a clean and organized service station and bagging items as well. I learned good costumer services skills and worked well as a team member. The hardest part of the job would be working on busy days with little staff. What I enjoyed about the job – more... was meeting new people and working with others. – less
Fun place to work and get to know the people around town
Deli, Bakery and Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), Webster, MAMarch 18, 2014
My days involved different activities depending on what shift I worked. I was able to work alongside the assistant manager to help maintain health codes.
Team required workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 16, 2014
Pros: active and social environment.
Cons: short breaks: 15 min break for 4-6hr shift, two 15 min for 7hr.
I typically worked 4-10 shifts in the checkout department. Dinner rush as it's called is from 4:30-7, very busy time for customers yet shortage in staffing for employees. Quickly learned fast multi-tasking. Very team-involved atmosphere, needed to know where everyone was and what they were doing. Managing breaks, carriages outside, returns, chores around – more... store, keeping lines down, and responding to customer questions all at once. – less
Fun work enviornment.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Cranston, Rhode IslandMarch 9, 2014
Pros: a large amount of fellow employees.
Cons: low wage.
The labor is demanding, low wages, and insufficent break periods. Nonetheless I made tons of friends and after gaining some expierence I was able to have a lot of fun at Shaws.
Fun learning different responsibilities and tasks
Customer Service Associate in Deli Dept (Former Employee), Nashua, NHMarch 4, 2014
I find out what is on sale. I make sure everything is ready to serve the customer. The customer picks up a number, I call it. The customer lets me know what he/she wants. I then asks how they want it cut. Show the cut to make sure that is what they want. Then weigh it, and package it, and put the label on the product. When my shift is completed, I then – more... sanitize the deli cutting machines, clean floor, and then restock the products. The hardest part of the job is cutting the meats to desired thickness or thin. The enjoyable part of the job is taking on different tasks. My co-workers work together is team players. – less
First real job
Cashier (Former Employee), Berlin, VTFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: $0.25 raise every 3 months
Cons: very boring work
Taught me how to run a cash register, talk to customers, handle complaints, and generally being friendly and making customers feel happy and welcome during the 5-10 mins it takes to ring up large grocery orders.
basic deli job
Deli Counter Sales-person (Former Employee), Randolph Center, VTFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: discount on luch meat
Cons: standing the entire time and the cleaning of the rotisserie
worked in a deli so i would come in and set up all the hot foods every few hours. then leaving take down and dispose and record inventory lost for that day or sold for that day. managers were very flexible when it came to making the schedules co workers were enjoyable. most enjoyable part would be interacting with the customers and upselling them.
Good job while in school
Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Johnston, RIFebruary 9, 2014
I had a lot of fun while working for Shaw's supermarket. The people and management where great. Very flexible schedule. Pay was okay.
fun work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Colchester, VTJanuary 29, 2014
On a typical day at Shaw's I would open the store, unlock everything and be the cashier until the second one came in. Then I would go over to open the service desk at 9 and work over there until 4. I cashed payroll/government or state checks, assigned loans to registers, assisted in the cash sweep, monitored sales, and assured customer satisfaction. – more... I enjoyed working with the public, and building personable relationships with our regulars. I learned how to help run a department, become an expert in customer service and satisfaction. The hardest part of my job would of been having to discipline people who I considered friends outside of work. – less

1 2 3 4 5