Shaw's Employee Reviews

Really nice people! Horrible benefits, and a lot of drama.
Bagger (Former Employee), Shelburne RoadJune 5, 2015
Pros: Staff meals, including cake, but you have to eat it before it gets stale. Nice people!
Cons: You could get a job with better benefits.
In any job you will find at least one person, if not more, of not so friendly people. At Shaw's there was some really nice people, but they were led by some very moody and negative managers. I was nervous – more... starting out due to the negativity directed at me right off the bat day one.

Shaw's was to me a big penny pincher and sacrificed a lot of worker satisfaction for increased profit.

With the Monopoly games, and Sizzling Summer Give Away, to me just seemed like a trick within itself, and most people want to be in and out and not have to put up the continuous asking of "are you playing the game?" Which was hard for cashiers for they were forced to take the heat when it came due to explanation down below.

Write ups were issued to Cashiers, who were told by note on the time clock, that if they were caught by management NOT telling every customer about the survey at the bottom of the receipt they would be set up for a write up. Which made a day of being a cashier more stressful when customers gave heat when they said they heard about it when they were talking to the other customers ahead of them.

You get a benefit of 5% on only selected items. Usually Shaw's brand. Usually a couple cents off.

If you do a good deed or work exceptionally hard you get put in a drawing for a 25 dollar gift card of Shaw's money.

Associate of the Month gets $60 worth of Shaw's gift card.

You get a raise of 25 cents per year. But it was declined to lower amount at one point.

I was told I would get more than minimum when I was there. I checked my check and it was one cent over. – less
Non-reliable Work Place
CSR/Service Desk Clerk (Current Employee), Williston, VTMay 17, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling.
Cons: 15 minute breaks, Managment.
Working at Shaw's has given me many new experiences.
Although with the very hard working environment where even working your hardest never seems good enough to the managers. The managers are rude and – more... not helpful. The coworkers are mostly young people including many teenagers and college students.
The hardest part of the job is getting everything done correctly and on-time with the little staff provided. The most enjoyable part of the job are the coworkers, most are great people. – less
Not a terrible job
Bookkeeper/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMay 6, 2015
Co-workers were great, you end up knowing people for a long time and feel like you have a second family at work, but retail is retail so you end up getting yelled at and talked down to by many customers for things you have no control over for minimum wage.
Fast pace and employees are great to work with.
Night Manager (Current Employee), Hooksett, NHApril 23, 2015
Pros: Enjoying managing people.
Cons: My current job is part time and would like to have a set schedule.
I enjoy working with the public and have great customer service skills and I also have a strong background in management. I love being busy and can multi task and work well under pressure. I enjoy all – more... my staff and we have a great working relationship. I have earned respect because I have no problem working side by side and always striving to give the best service. I am responsible for all alarms and also for all the cash flow that comes through. – less
good for short term job
Produce department employee (Current Employee), Northbridge, MAApril 19, 2015
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: inconstant hours, management is not connected with the workers
In a typical day at work I put out new product, rotate the product, cut fruit and vegetables, closing the department by sweeping floors, cleaning the sinks, taking down cardboard. the hardest part is knowing that what management tells me what to do is incorrect or not the most efficient way of doing things.
Flexible but no standards
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Norwood, MAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Short break, disorganized
I stayed at Shaw's primary because of the flexibility. I am a full time student and it was beneficial to have a job that allowed me to put school first well still making money.
It was a workplace were I could be in and out without being bothered
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 29, 2015
I would enter the deli and beginning taking orders for customers. Throughout the day I would be called by the Deli manager to do miscellaneous tasks around the store, examples would be cleaning the kitchen, carry boxes around the store etc.
awesome break room
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Brunswick, MEMarch 23, 2015
Pros: long lunch breaks
Cons: bagging bread
Going to work at 7 am doing everything from baking bread and bagging it to decorating desserts , pastries and cakes for display and customers. Learning how the decorations were made on cakes was the most awesome part of this job an it was the hardest but very satisfying once it was learned.
Service clerk (Former Employee), Plymouth, MAMarch 16, 2015
Great place to work for. Bunch of great people. I was able to move around from department to other department, so it wasn't the same thing every day. Highly recomended.
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Chestnut Hill, MAMarch 6, 2015
i had fun working here. i was a cashier, i also did some stocking and ringing up the customers.i get along good with my co-workers. i was always on time
time management
customer service manager (Former Employee), Ludlow, VermontMarch 2, 2015
Pros: some advancement
Cons: breaks not always on time
I learned that there is nothing like just being a cashier. That cashiers are truly the backbone of the supermarket industry and they can make your job day or hard. Getting the best people with great people – more... skills is the main detail for a cashier or any front end job. The rest of it you can teach the inner core is harder. I liked seeing people progress up the ladder at work going for better positions.It made me feel good that I might have had a hand in helping them along. The hardest part of the day for me was leaving the store as there always seemed to be more to do --I was always learning and coming up with better ways to manage my time to get all the jobs done. – less
Fun place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Canton, CTJanuary 28, 2015
I enjoyed working in the bakery it was never a dull moment, there is always something to do. my coworkers were nice and helpful.
Good envronment, Friendly Co-Workers
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Newton,MANovember 21, 2014
Pros: you always meet new people, benefits, and a cool & calm work environment
Cons: sometimes things would be disorganized, people not doing their job frawloking around the store.
A typical day at work consist of a bond with customer relations as well as employee relations. I worked produce so i helped people pick out fresh ready to eat fruits or veggies. I learned how to manage – more... my time and keep the place organized, made me more of a leader. Assisting other employees to keep them working by giving written directions of what needed to be filled. My Manager had confided in me to be a leader and keep the place running he would check on me from time to time because he was busy doing paper work, and everyone liked the assistant manager. My co workers where great, we would joke around from time to time but still keep our selves busy & professional environment for the customer's in which to shop in, and helping each other out when needed. the hardest part of the job was getting new people and training then because people would constantly quit because a lot of them where college students, or people would get transferred to the store n wouldn't know their way around. The most enjoyable part of the job was making friends in other departments, & having a laugh or two with workers from other departments. – less
Friendly environment that aways keeps me busy
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Brighton, MANovember 12, 2014
Working in a grocery store will certainly keep me going all day every day. A day at work begins and as I walk by every associate I am greeted with smiles and good mornings which immediately brightens my – more... day. Working at Star Market for five years I have seen many managers come and go. One thing I have learned is that every manager is an individual and certainly has their own way of handling store issues, customer problems, and associate dilemmas. I pride myself on my ability to adapt to all the changes in management I have gone through and know that is has helped me become a strong supervisor. Leading a team and being a supervisor is something I have enjoyed for the last three years that I have been there and it has shown me I have taken the appropriate steps toward my studies and future career. Star Market has been a great learning experience for me. – less
Fun work place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Raynham, MAJuly 15, 2014
This job is a pretty good first time job for someone. I learned to become a hard worker through this job and the benefits were good.
Productive place with warm welcoming smiles.
Cashier/Bagger (Current Employee), Salem, NHJuly 9, 2014
What I do daily is I work with customers and help them find what they are looking for. I handle cash and other payments carefully. The hardest part of the job is unsatisfied customers with the prices on certain things that are not in our control. But we handle the situation with great care and help the customer in any way possible for them.
An Ok Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Middletown, RIJuly 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be me coming in and going on the cashier putting in my password cleaning my section. Doing peoples food orders.
boring
Cashier/Food Service/Florists (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 8, 2014
it was very boring for me because i am the type of person who likes to learn things on an everyday basis it was too routinize although i loved the flexibility of my schedule and management always worked with you and not against .
Work place was nice although you may not be in the same location from day to day.
Loss Prevention Investergator. (Former Employee), Boston, MA.June 6, 2014
Pros: you have total access to the building and make your own way.
Cons: not always able to see all theft
Any typical day at work when you arrive it may be hectic at times and others would be somewhat quiet. There are times when you see your manager and then you are all by yourself and in control of the LP – more... duties. l learned the intricate video systems and how to navigate them effectively throughout the various departments. Management was good and they made everyone comfortable with being there.The co- workers were very capable in their duties and made all attempts in helping with the training of every LP on the team. One of hardest issues was if you were trying to observe more than one subject at a time. The most enjoyable was when you received positive feedback for effectively doing your job without incident and recovering store merchandise without harm to yourself or and damage to the store in question. – less
was a great place to work
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee), Waterbury, CTApril 23, 2014
Pros: half-hour lunch break
Cons: working sundays and most holidays
This was a great place to work. The customers were tough but fair. Until the stores left Connecticut I thought I would stay til retirement.