Shaw's

Shaw's Employer Reviews

Productive place with warm welcoming smiles.
Cashier/Bagger (Current Employee), Salem, NHJuly 9, 2014
What I do daily is I work with customers and help them find what they are looking for. I handle cash and other payments carefully. The hardest part of the job is unsatisfied customers with the prices on certain things that are not in our control. But we handle the situation with great care and help the customer in any way possible for them.
An Ok Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Middletown, RIJuly 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be me coming in and going on the cashier putting in my password cleaning my section. Doing peoples food orders.
boring
Cashier/Food Service/Florists (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 8, 2014
it was very boring for me because i am the type of person who likes to learn things on an everyday basis it was too routinize although i loved the flexibility of my schedule and management always worked with you and not against .
Work place was nice although you may not be in the same location from day to day.
Loss Prevention Investergator. (Former Employee), Boston, MA.June 6, 2014
Pros: you have total access to the building and make your own way.
Cons: not always able to see all theft
Any typical day at work when you arrive it may be hectic at times and others would be somewhat quiet. There are times when you see your manager and then you are all by yourself and in control of the LP duties. l learned the intricate video systems and how to navigate them effectively throughout the various departments. Management was good and they made – more... everyone comfortable with being there.The co- workers were very capable in their duties and made all attempts in helping with the training of every LP on the team. One of hardest issues was if you were trying to observe more than one subject at a time. The most enjoyable was when you received positive feedback for effectively doing your job without incident and recovering store merchandise without harm to yourself or and damage to the store in question. – less
was a great place to work
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee), Waterbury, CTApril 23, 2014
Pros: half-hour lunch break
Cons: working sundays and most holidays
This was a great place to work. The customers were tough but fair. Until the stores left Connecticut I thought I would stay til retirement.
Was a great place to work co-workers were the best but there was some downfalls
Store associate (Former Employee), Augusta,MaineApril 5, 2014
Pros: friendly people, good times
Cons: no health benefits unless full time.
I worked at Shaw;s for three years it was a pretty good job for some one just out of high school. All the co-workers were some of the best i have worked with in my life yes there where some hard days there but they could make it easy to go with.best part of the job was working the summers there because depending on what your job was you could end up – more... out side most days. – less
Encourages you to work longer not harder
Customer Service Associate/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Ashland, MAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: leftover from managers meeting, great co-workers, friendly environment, chance to learn multiple skills at a quick pace.
Cons: under pay, poor management
The Shaw's work place is ruled by those who have worked there their whole lives. The people who work hard are under appreciated and only pointed out the moment something goes wrong. The people who make the most money are not the ones who work hard and do a great job, it is the ones who have done little to nothing and have the same skills as new employees – more... but who have stuck by for 20+ years. I had worked harder and had acquired more skills than many employees only to find they make more than double my pay. The company really inspires people to be sub par and not work hard because rarely if ever will it work out for you. Front end management leaves most work to the underpaid supervisors while upper management gets stepped on by the brown-nosers and end up doing more work then they should. They can't keep control of certain employees and due to the lack of candidates who are willing to apply for the job they cannot fire them.

Despite that when run by the right people Shaw's could be a thriving environment. If more responsibility was given to the younger more enthusiastic employees stores could run at a more upbeat pace and make a bigger impact on customers new and old. – less
Good starting job
Cashier (Former Employee), Lewiston, MEMarch 6, 2014
Started working here as my first job and it was good to get started in the work field. The hours were flexible with school and this allowed me to begin to build my skills as a working professional. Management was not always consistent which created some confusion and frustration and co-workers did not seem like they wanted to be there which resulted – more... in me having a relatively short stay at Shaw's. – less
decent work enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee), Auburn, MEJanuary 11, 2014
cashiering, bagging, and cart retrieval. i learned how to use a cash register and how to keep calm in stressful environments. managers were very understanding. co-workers are easy to work with. hardest part of the job was dealing with rude customers. most enjoyable was getting to know common customers.
LOVED IT!
Checker/Bagger (Former Employee), East Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2014
Can say I loved shaws the most.. Loved the people customers and co-workers, til this day I can go in shaws and still feel at home, only con was the hours sometimes there were a lot of hours others there weren't and unfortunately that caused me to move forward in life and find another job.
Productive workplace
Customer service representative (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 2, 2014
A typical day at work included me preparing the kitchen for the day to come and making sure work flowed easily. I learned a ton about customer service/the food department because I had never before worked in food service. The environment was welcoming and I got along great with my co-workers as well as my manager.
Working at Shaws
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), Woonsocket, RINovember 5, 2013
It has been a great experience for me, from stocking shelf's to working with customers but now I'm looking for a full time job to support my self. I'm very motivate person looking for work.
Terrible
DELI COUNTER CLERK (Former Employee), Walpole, NHOctober 6, 2013
Pros: sometimes there are discounts
Cons: everything else.
Hated working at Shaw's. Schedules were changed last minute. Company policies weren't always followed. Favoritism was a constant.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Waltham, MAOctober 4, 2013
•Assisted customers with questions and purchases
•Handle money and credit transactions
Shaw's was a great place to work
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Colchester, VTSeptember 17, 2013
When I started at Shaw's I didn't have a running automobile. I walked four miles a day, rain or shine. Frigid temperatures. Some time to only have to work four hours. I enjoyed the fast paced yet friendly atmosphere
Typical Day
Cashier (Current Employee), Dartmouth, MASeptember 6, 2013
Pros: good benefits, health care, nice people
Cons: understaffed usually
Management is fine, and coworkers are as well. You are usually greeted, but I would say a typical day at work you are primarily on a register if you are a cashier, you will be asked to check out, be courteous to customers, of course there are days where customers can be rude and you must maintain composure. You will be asked to do a multitude of things, – more... and as long as you do what you are asked, you will keep busy. – less
Company isn't what it used to be before financial problems
Cashier (Former Employee), Warwick, RIAugust 31, 2013
The company couldn't work with my schedule and the management needed to be better by treating their employees in a decent manner
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Waltham, MAAugust 25, 2013
Pros: coworkers, flexible schedules and 401k plan.
Cons: only part time available, no benefits, minimum wage.
Providing customer service in a professional and courteous manner. I truly enjoy working with my coworkers and we help each other out any way we can to make customer service be as smooth, quick and consistent as possible.
Great co-workers
Cashier, Service Desk (Current Employee), Worcester, MAJune 19, 2013
Cons: hours
It can get hectic with certain situations and customers but everyone is very friendly and willingly to help the customer so you're never alone on a problem.
sucked
Cashier (Former Employee), Massachusetts,BrocktonApril 25, 2013
It was one of the worst jobs that I ever had.The management were inexperience at the time.