Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Not much to say
Sales Assistant (Sales & Marketing Coordinator) (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILMay 25, 2017
Company bought out Gatehouse Media
Underpaid
Not appreciated
Large Turnover
No advancement
Was not pleased with how they micromanaged their employees.
Love the work, not the company.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILNovember 28, 2016
I was part of the design team that got laid off due to outsourcing our work to other companies in Missouri. Of course, this was after we had a company wide meeting promising everyone that there would not be any one laid off due to some numbers in the annual reports being down.
While there are some things that the company does to boost morale, or at least try to, I've never worked with a group as unhappy as this. Maybe it's the fact there's no hope for raises, or even advancement.
While I miss my team, I'm glad I got the push out of there.
Id' think twice about working here
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 7, 2016
This company does not appreciate its employees AT ALL. Sadly, their employees are pons in their game of numbers. They only care about how much money they can make and don't care at whose expense. I worked there 3 1/2 years and was never given a review or raise. Soon after hired I was told there hadn't been a raise for anyone in over 7 years and the last one given was not even a dent in the cost of living increase.

My direct manager was incredible until it was time to "downsize" me. The company was facing a -$400,000 shortfall in its budget and started hacking away at staff, closing whole office sites and reducing benefits.

To avoid cutting jobs during the big recession, the employees agreed to work 37.5 hours a week in lieu of laying people off. The 40 hour work week was never restored once things looked like they would be improving and no overtime was ever "allowed".

Very little room to grow in the company unless you're already in upper management which some people still have their jobs while seemingly being ineffective at their jobs. This is just my opinion. I don't have many facts to back that up. I know my manager's boss had NO clue how we did our job, yet was in charge of us and making decisions for our dept. Everything was based on "numbers" not how the job was actually done. He is an example of what I mean by not being effective in his job, but still seems to get promoted every other month to something else bigger.

Definitely enjoyed my coworkers, the job I did and the environment in which I worked. About the ONLY pros of the job.
Fast paced and very tight knit company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJune 4, 2015
This company is like a family, everyone is very tight knit, and close to one another.

Each department works hard and is very dedicated.
Great place to start
Freelance Sports Writer (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake IlMarch 26, 2015
It was a good place to try and figure out if working in print journalism is for you. I'm glad they gave me an opportunity to work in the industry.
Poor employer
Computer information systems support technician (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXSeptember 10, 2014
Raises were chump change. Daily grind was report to work, only had around 30 minutes to drive to customers house, trouble shoot internet connection, fix connection problems, then on to next customer.

Supervisors made it almost impossible to continue education at local college due to rotating shift.

Manager did not even want employees eating lunch at the office.
Pros
A pay check.
Cons
Barely any overtime, little to nothing raises, no upward mobility.
IMPORTANT! Most of these ratings are for Shaw Media in Toranto Canada. Shaw Media IN USA much WORSE!
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake IlMay 20, 2014
Note-Shaw Media - especially the NW HERALD office in Cryatsl Lake is a "churn and burn" for sales positions. Many have quit