Shaw Group Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Boilermaker, Inspector, Welder, Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 17, 2016
I start the day reviewing all the daily activity that are involve in the daily task. I learn different procedures and processes to complete my job in a timely manner. Management is always willing to review and discuss the job task as needed. I get along with co-workers. My job is very comfortable and challenging every day.
Pros
Free Lunch Breaks, Healthcare benefits, 401k etc.
Cons
N/A
Loyal to permanent employees and no one else.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GADecember 13, 2016
I worked for Shaw as a temp for over a year and was told countless times that as soon as possible I would be brought in permanently. When the position I was in was finally able to be filled permanently I was passed over for someone else from a different department and after a year in that position was given 2 weeks notice. In the end it worked out better for me. I found a better paying job with a great company, but it soured me on Shaw. I won't every apply to them again.
Pros
Co workers were nice
Cons
They don't mean what they say
Productive place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2016
Great Place to work. Great benefits and great pay.... If interested in good money and overtime apply...... What else can I say.....
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Distance from home
Operations day to day
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2016
Day at work were morning with production and warehouse to ensure we had inventory and personnel to accomplish goals.
Learned how to use lean manufacturing to maximize production.
Co workers were good.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with upper management.
Watching employees get better each day and the pride they had.
Pros
hours
Cons
upper management
good job
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Aiken County, SCAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me Jhsa with the employees. That is a job,health,safety analysis. We have to go over the hazards that can exist and how we can prevent them. Then I assign each individual there daily task and document it on the daily time sheet.After everyone is working, I take inventory over the work equipment we use and the proper ppe we have in store.The paper work part of the job can be stressful at times. I have learned how to deal with different people emotions on a daily basis.One person might come to work happy and full of joy the next person come in dragging sad face and depressed. You never know whats going on in someones life. Thats why I learned you have to give that person, some love and congratulate them just tell them good job you are doing. Thats the motivation some workers need to get through the day.Motivating my employees was the best part of the day and knowing everyone is leaving like they came to work this morning, no injuries.
Good job
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fulton, ARAugust 31, 2016
This was a pretty good job lots of schooling for knowledge of craft pretty decent on material and tools for you to do your job management wasn't really very knowledgeable
Lack of support to Contract Workers
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 7, 2016
Co-workers and management would not accept Contract Workers.

Very unfriendly environment. Hostile environment.
I have nothing more to comment on.

I would never work for them again.
Stressful at times
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 15, 2016
I am a people person. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with so many different people throughout the say. I can get along with anyone. Typical day at work consist of review AR on various job, Billing, communicating with Project Managers about their jobs, etc...
Pros
flexible with taking care of kids needs
Cons
commute
great company
Utilities Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAJanuary 6, 2017
helped build scaffolds, bolt up flanges and worked the production line
learned how to drive a forklift and bag product in super sacks
coworkers was great to work with
hardest part of the job was wearing fresh air and acid suits to do the bolt up
Shaw Group
Electrical Designer Engineer IV (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 18, 2017
Great place to work. Very safety oriented workplace, concerned about their employees and the environment. The employees and managers were always helpful and had plenty of positive input on all of my work assignments.
safe work enviroment
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 29, 2016
very friendly and fun environment. great co-workers. Working outside in the summer would have to be one the hard parts of the job.
great part of the job would have to be everyone working together as a team.
Fair employment
General Foreman / Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Fair place to work, worked with many talented people, both in labor to engineers.
Traveled to different project locations, some being at a distance away.
Pros
Able to learn different things
Cons
Difficult to advance
The job was okay.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Longwood, FLOctober 28, 2016
Working at this job was a good experience to learn from and experience work but it isn't a job I would've have continued. It was fun while i was working most of the time.
Pros
You're going to get work in.
Cons
Doesn't pay well, communication skills aren't great.
Shaw sold out to CB&I
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 12, 2016
Traveled about 95 percent - enjoyed travel - management was difficult at times -Shaw was not able to maintain required budget and time deadlines and sold out to CB&I whom encounter same difficulty and sold out to Westinghouse - numerous layoffs and firings occurred
Pros
travel
Cons
extreme deadlines
Productive and fun place to work
Creeler (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAAugust 15, 2016
I worked here through a temporary agency and the company had a party to celebrate their workers and included the temporary people. They shut down their productions to allow their employees a night of fun, we all enjoyed ourselves.
Pros
Great people to work for, fun and happy environment
Cons
carpet mill so it is extremly hot in the summers
Management issues
EFDA, dental assistant, coronal polishing (Current Employee) –  OhipOctober 18, 2016
I'm interested in better opportunities, caring employers. Too many unresolved issues with staff and office managers creating a hardship between staff members.
turn around welder
Turn-Around Welder (Former Employee) –  Addis, LAJuly 30, 2016
This was a great place to learn the importance of continually welding. Here I was a structural welder. I had about 3 points that needed to visited on a regular basis. So, if I was friendly but didn't ask for the order --I didn't get the tools. Working for Shaw taught me how much is involved in making a geography successful. How much is involved in making a effort.
Pros
the pay
Shaw
Electrical Foreman, (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, VAOctober 24, 2016
Good company and decent pay. I liked the fact they was close to home. Everyone was easy to get along with and I made some great friends and I learned alot,
Pros
close to home
Good Ole Boy Network-Underpaid
Scientist (Former Employee) –  knoxville tnMay 14, 2012
Worked at Shaw for 5yrs and only received 2 (tiny) raises in the time frame. Raises were not given due to the economy for multiple years. Received promotion in the 5yrs but without a pay increase! Spent most of the time traveling for weeks on end. Unless you are from the era of the IT folks (IT was the company before Shaw bought them out) you will not be fairly compensated. Be sure to ask for enough money up front if you get the position because you will never get a good raise unless you get in with the good ole boy network..... If you are a female best of luck for getting what you should be paid and promotions. Great learning experience if this is your first job but if not- go elsewhere! Better pay is elsewhere along with better management. The fieldwork is often long hours, away from home with some overbearing site managers that do not show respect.
Pros
met some nice folks-learning experience
Cons
disrespectful site managers(some locations), good ole boy network, few raises and promotions, a lot of travel, expensive insurance.
Shaw Review
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2013
A typical day at work consists of preparing any type of correspondence required to be sent to either of the contractors as well as the owner. Contractors will submit payments once a month and it is my responsibility to review and prepapre the payment for signature and then send out for final processing. I will update Contract Manager on a daily basis for any documents that are sent out or that are received under its respective contract file. As well as any other kind of administrative task. I work on a field site location so the amount of employees are less than when working in the main office. My co-workers range in a wide variety from culture and education, most being engineers.
Pros
good paying job, paid vacations
Cons
poor benefits, no job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw Group. Our community is ready to answer.