Shaw Group Employee Reviews in United States

Shaw sold out to CB&I
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 12, 2016
Traveled about 95 percent - enjoyed travel - management was difficult at times -Shaw was not able to maintain required budget and time deadlines and sold out to CB&I whom encounter same difficulty and sold out to Westinghouse - numerous layoffs and firings occurred
Pros
travel
Cons
extreme deadlines
Great company to work for
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 7, 2016
Even though this company no longer exist due to selling to OBI, this was a great company to work for. they appreciated there workers and treated you like family
Pros
Great pay
was at the plant
Pipe Draftsman/Designer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 6, 2016
Worked in the field at honeywell. It was good while I were there. met a lot of good people.Had a good crew out there. Sated there for a bit but wanted to get closer to home.
Confusing
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
Shaw had been recently bought out from Stone&Webster, and this was back in 2006 and the market was booming, so you had people that were jumping from job to job for my money, and management could not seem to get a hold projects and maintain any consistence.
Pros
Not any
Cons
Confusing
shaw group
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 28, 2016
this is a very great job with very good pay. the oilfield work was a great learning expierence. learning to measure and cut pipe to a correct fit was a great expierence
Productive place to work
Boilermaker, Inspector, Welder, Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 17, 2016
I start the day reviewing all the daily activity that are involve in the daily task. I learn different procedures and processes to complete my job in a timely manner. Management is always willing to review and discuss the job task as needed. I get along with co-workers. My job is very comfortable and challenging every day.
Pros
Free Lunch Breaks, Healthcare benefits, 401k etc.
Cons
N/A
Productive place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2016
Great Place to work. Great benefits and great pay.... If interested in good money and overtime apply...... What else can I say.....
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Distance from home
Lead Engineer Project Responsibilities
Senior Proj. Engineer / Lead Responsible Engineer (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJMarch 3, 2016
Performed as Lead Modification Engineer for major power plant equipment upgrade directing EPC resources supporting design and field construction requirements associated with project.
Pros
Challenging opportunity working with diverse technical staff (client and subcontractors)
Cons
Productive and pleasant place to work.
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 14, 2016
Shaw is a great place to work. Typical day goes smooth and not hard or frustrating. I have fun co-workers we get along great.
Pros
Love being my own boss.
Hard, solitary, Dangerous
Evaporator Operator/ Well Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 27, 2015
Work expectations excessively high. Work hours long plus on call 24/7 with no re-leaver. encouraged to do tasks well beyond safety regulations permitted.
Pros
experience in many different fields.
Cons
Dangerous
Good start up job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Richardson, AKOctober 25, 2015
The Shaw group is very comprehensive with making sure you know what you will be working on and making sure everyone on the team works well together, they are more than understanding if some people do not work well together and will work to make it a healthy work environment for everybody
Pros
friendly, inviting
Cons
must be a part of a union
production was good safty was well informed foremens were good
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Spencer, NCOctober 22, 2015
as a whloe shaw was a well placed company meaning safety was good trainning was taking seriously and in a professional way tools were good people working with were very much the pros they claimed to be.
Pros
lots of overtime lots nof money
Cons
lots of overtime
A typical day at work
Pipe rigger and Laborer (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LAOctober 10, 2015
A typical day at the workplace for me is communication, planning, leading, and completing my task. I get up early every morning getting my assignment and completing it. Once I start work for the day I talk with my fellow workers and see how they are doing. I would establish strategies for the day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks and hard work
Review
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chickamauga, GAOctober 6, 2015
A typical day at Shaw I used forklift to carry yarn and placed on lumes and took burn off to its proper disposal area. This job was just like an average warehouse job but pays well.
Team player
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILSeptember 21, 2015
Working for this company, i was the first voice heard on a daily basis.
i always had to have a pleasant voice and always be positive on the phone. i would transfer about 121 calls a day Making sure the call would go to the appropriate department. also multitask other jobs as well.
Shaw was the largest personal company in Baton Rouge
Human Resources Generalist/Recruiting Role (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 12, 2015
In the several years I was there I had the opportunity to grow into several positions and grow with the company. All my managers allowed me to have new experience and potential.
Pros
Growth Opportunity
Cons
Difficulty bidding on new jobs
Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PASeptember 8, 2015
I really thank the upper level management of this company for allowing me to progress my carrier & for teaching me how to advance the correct way, not the Cynical / Backstabbing way.......

This company gives you chance after chance to prove yourself & advance yourself.......
Pros
Everything about this company
Cons
I never found one - except having to travel, but that is not a bother for a majority of people
Oustading place to work , everybody is concerned
Pipefitter, Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 23, 2015
Everyone from Superintendant down to the helpers were on top of their game. Everyone worked together safely and productively. a pleasant atmosphere and work conditions .
Pros
Crew of the week recieved a steak lunch and more
Cons
Took some time getting out at the end of the day.
Vogtle Unit 3 & 4 Nuclear Construction Project
Sr. Security and Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Vogtle Nuclear Project, Location: Waynesboro, GAAugust 11, 2015
Assigned to the Vogtle Unit 3 & 4 Nuclear Construction Project, Sr. Security Manager preforming direct oversight of the site security force (100 plus) in execution of client and federal security procedures and policies, also served as the Emergency Response Coordinator for the project (ERC) and the Sr. Facilities Manager.

Co-workers and general staff were great.
Project on 4th level of Senior Management, site environment not good, chilled work environment.
Pros
Challenging mega project.
Cons
Chilled work environment by current senior managenet.
Nuclear industry company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2015
Enjoyed working for the Director of Nuclear, very easy going. Supporting a group of QA Managers was enjoyable. They were great personalities and even during the toughest periods they could always make you smile.
Pros
Wonderful team to work for, flexibility
Cons
Healthcare coverage