Shaw Group Employee Reviews in United States

awesome workplace
Industrial Laborer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, VAJune 28, 2015
Good job culture good management good job security good comp benefits good job work like good pay good lunch and drinks and if u wanna know more then go to there website and check it out
Productive place to work
Boilermaker, Inspector, Welder, Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 17, 2016
I start the day reviewing all the daily activity that are involve in the daily task. I learn different procedures and processes to complete my job in a timely manner. Management is always willing to review and discuss the job task as needed. I get along with co-workers. My job is very comfortable and challenging every day.
Pros
Free Lunch Breaks, Healthcare benefits, 401k etc.
Cons
N/A
Ehhh
Civil Field Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 2, 2015
Co-workers: most were very knowledgeable and willing to help. Some not so much. The Leads were awesome!
Management: The higher you went up the chain the worse they got at least that's how it was on the job I was on.
Benefits were great!
Lead Engineer Project Responsibilities
Senior Proj. Engineer / Lead Responsible Engineer (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJMarch 3, 2016
Performed as Lead Modification Engineer for major power plant equipment upgrade directing EPC resources supporting design and field construction requirements associated with project.
Pros
Challenging opportunity working with diverse technical staff (client and subcontractors)
Productive place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2016
Great Place to work. Great benefits and great pay.... If interested in good money and overtime apply...... What else can I say.....
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Distance from home
Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PASeptember 8, 2015
I really thank the upper level management of this company for allowing me to progress my carrier & for teaching me how to advance the correct way, not the Cynical / Backstabbing way.......

This company gives you chance after chance to prove yourself & advance yourself.......
Pros
Everything about this company
Cons
I never found one - except having to travel, but that is not a bother for a majority of people
Vogtle Unit 3 & 4 Nuclear Construction Project
Sr. Security and Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Vogtle Nuclear Project, Location: Waynesboro, GAAugust 11, 2015
Assigned to the Vogtle Unit 3 & 4 Nuclear Construction Project, Sr. Security Manager preforming direct oversight of the site security force (100 plus) in execution of client and federal security procedures and policies, also served as the Emergency Response Coordinator for the project (ERC) and the Sr. Facilities Manager.

Co-workers and general staff were great.
Project on 4th level of Senior Management, site environment not good, chilled work environment.
Pros
Challenging mega project.
Cons
Chilled work environment by current senior managenet.
Productive and pleasant place to work.
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 14, 2016
Shaw is a great place to work. Typical day goes smooth and not hard or frustrating. I have fun co-workers we get along great.
Pros
Love being my own boss.
Good place to "Settle"
Payroll Processor (Current Employee) –  Sulphur, LADecember 3, 2014
Overall a good company to work for unless you have any plans to advance...very hard to move out of the position you start in, however this company has no problem with adding to your work load without compensation. Management doesn't seem concerned with ongoing maintenance projects only get negative attention.
Pros
good work environment onsite
Cons
small change of advancement.
Good Ole Boy Network-Underpaid
Scientist (Former Employee) –  knoxville tnMay 14, 2012
Worked at Shaw for 5yrs and only received 2 (tiny) raises in the time frame. Raises were not given due to the economy for multiple years. Received promotion in the 5yrs but without a pay increase! Spent most of the time traveling for weeks on end. Unless you are from the era of the IT folks (IT was the company before Shaw bought them out) you will not be fairly compensated. Be sure to ask for enough money up front if you get the position because you will never get a good raise unless you get in with the good ole boy network..... If you are a female best of luck for getting what you should be paid and promotions. Great learning experience if this is your first job but if not- go elsewhere! Better pay is elsewhere along with better management. The fieldwork is often long hours, away from home with some overbearing site managers that do not show respect.
Pros
met some nice folks-learning experience
Cons
disrespectful site managers(some locations), good ole boy network, few raises and promotions, a lot of travel, expensive insurance.
Shaw Review
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2013
A typical day at work consists of preparing any type of correspondence required to be sent to either of the contractors as well as the owner. Contractors will submit payments once a month and it is my responsibility to review and prepapre the payment for signature and then send out for final processing. I will update Contract Manager on a daily basis for any documents that are sent out or that are received under its respective contract file. As well as any other kind of administrative task. I work on a field site location so the amount of employees are less than when working in the main office. My co-workers range in a wide variety from culture and education, most being engineers.
Pros
good paying job, paid vacations
Cons
poor benefits, no job security
Run from this company
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NY, NYNovember 21, 2013
The people in HR are insane. They are racist, they could care less about your life. They micromanage you so much you can hardly go to the bathroom without letting someone know...this is what they did to me. The team lead was a joke and the manager was worst. I could never get the answers I needed to the questions I asked about benefits or pay. This place is a joke! Anyone who say they like it here, they are lying. If you want to be a slave to your job, by all means, get a job here.
Pros
some of the people were friendly, most were faking
Cons
low pay, bad management, no work/life balance, parking costs a ton, loud people, no upward mobility, racists attitudes, etc.
Productive and safe work place
Industrial Welder (Former Employee) –  Mooresboro, NCFebruary 10, 2015
Great place to work,with good benefits and compensation. I like the fact that management actually cares about you and your job. I would recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
short break every two hours, christmas gift card, bonus check saftey bonus
Cons
contract work
Shaw Group
Exec/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAMarch 16, 2015
Company was very big at one time and there was a lot to learn and do when busy. Opportunities to learn new things. However there were major changes which pared the company down.
Pros
great benefits
Very Busy
Scaffold Builder Lead (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Planning, focus, determine, on jobs that where assign and most important of all working safe at all times. Building platforms for skilled crafted workers to perform there jobs on columns,gear pumps, piping ,beam structures,and assigning people for different jobs in the plant.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
401k, insurance etc
Good place to get experience under your belt but nothing else
Helpdesk Tech (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 24, 2013
Long hours and medium pay brackets.
Learned quite a bit from the other IT managers on how to fix issues without routing tickets all day.

My coworkers are good people but the old saying don't judge a book by its cover. The same people that have lunch with you will throw you in front of a bus quick.

Nothing hard.

Despite the above, being the only one with a steady shift made everything fine. OT when I asked and never a dull moment
Pros
learning
Cons
pay raises are a joke, don't expect advancement unless you know who to brown nose, equal to college hazing.
Busy atmosphere, very interactive employee environment.
Records Information Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 16, 2013
A typical day at work: Daily Notification Reports, document processing, distribution, document requests to fill, document filing (electronic and hard copy) most of the day.
Management: very helpful, understanding and friendly.
Co-workers were pleasant.
Hardest part of the job: Extremely challenging at times, multitasking to stay on top of all activities.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Interaction with and meeting new personnel and customers.
Pros
good hours, good salary, advancement.
Cons
contract projects; no definite job security.
A valuable and learning experience.
Project Accountant - Lead (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 5, 2013
In a typical Accounting Department, there are certain weeks that are much more busier than others. Working in the MOX Accounting Department is no different. The challenge to produce solid, error free work in a timely manner was a welcomed requirement. Working in a Safety First environment is self assuring. I am enjoying learning about the nuclear and construction fields as well as governmental accounting.
Pros
the chance to serve on different committees: safety, fire warden, percs, fund raisers, etc.
Cons
after getting used to 4 10's, the change to a 9 80 work schedule.
Good start up job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Richardson, AKOctober 25, 2015
The Shaw group is very comprehensive with making sure you know what you will be working on and making sure everyone on the team works well together, they are more than understanding if some people do not work well together and will work to make it a healthy work environment for everybody
Pros
friendly, inviting
Cons
must be a part of a union
production was good safty was well informed foremens were good
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Spencer, NCOctober 22, 2015
as a whloe shaw was a well placed company meaning safety was good trainning was taking seriously and in a professional way tools were good people working with were very much the pros they claimed to be.
Pros
lots of overtime lots nof money
Cons
lots of overtime