Shaw Industries

Shaw Industries Employer Reviews

Navy
Quality Technician (Current Employee), Cartersville, GAJune 8, 2014
Great branch to join if you are considering military. It is a great opportunity to see the world as well. You also get to meet a lot of interesting people.
To assist customers (Former Employee), Dalton, GAJune 7, 2014
Pros: advancement
They had a great way of engaging you in your job and making you feel as if you made a difference.
Quality and safety very important to this co.
Rush
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee), Dalton, GAJune 3, 2014
A typical day is get up @ 5 be at work @ 7 get to work and be
ready to go. When I get there I am already behind our emails build
overnight in a QUE and you play catch up all day.
We have reports to process orders to be priced and you have to do these while answering the phone and doing email. We have 7 people in this department that take care of the – more... whole United States and Canada.
I have learned many things on the job thinking fast and working @ a very fast pace,being able to navigate in the computer system quickly
you have a lot of knowledge you have to keep in your head we only work with sales but we have to be ready to answer of find the answer to any questions they may ask.
If we all didn't take a little break to talk to one another
we would all be crazy. I love the job itself I like staying busy
but sometimes it can be a little overwhelming.
I like the people I work with and being able to take a little time
and talk to a friend. – less
Enjoy working there, good people, well structured
Weaving Tech (Current Employee), Chickamauga, GAMay 31, 2014
Pros: cross training, given more responsibility
Cons: na
Always changing, I have the opportunity to do various tasks in my department, which I enjoy, changes things up.
Enjoy working for my management team.
Love the people I work with, fabulous group of people.
Hardest part I would say is if we receive poor quality yarn that doesn't run well on looms.
Most enjoyable part is being able to be cross trained – more... in different areas. – less
Very Professional Company
Customer Service Support Lead (Current Employee), Cartersville, GAMay 29, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: hard to advance
This is a company that has a reputation to uphold and they treat their employees accordingly.
Micromanaged. No Common sense approach. "Cut-throat-hearsay&duck and dodge" City.
Electrician (Current Employee), Aiken, SCMay 23, 2014
Pros: it's a job
Cons: everything else
(Electrician's View) More of a reactive approach than proactive approach. Not innovative at all and ingenuity skills are next to none. Day shift have 4 electricians. Night shift have one and one mechanic. There are A,B,C,D shift with A&C being days and B&D being nights. All 12 hours shifts except 3 of the day shift electricians are 8 hours. A typical – more... day is hearing the latest gossip of who couldn't fix what and who is not doing what. Maintenance shop has more of an I mind frame than team. Everybody wants the be a Supervisor. The electronic devices you troubleshoot are German. From the schematics all the way to the indicating lights. Green in the US indicates on/running and red--off/not running. Well it's opposite in that plant. Not an Allen Bradley in sight PLCs, drives, nothing (something they fail to mention in the interview). Everything is foreign. Other than setting the basic parameters to drives or a HMI, you're basically just a parts changer. They have electrical contractors in their doing the in-depth work. The average age is about 45. So they are set in their ways. You cant suggest nothing nor tell them anything (fellow electrician). Cant trust the turn over you get at the beginning of the shift for reasons either due to them lacking the knowledge and theory of electricity & electronics and how it is applied or them just flat out lying to make you look bad. You are on a point system. Doctor's excuse or not you will be pointed. Only at the discretion of your supervisor can a point be drop. No paid vacation. You get days off, but they're not paid days off. Every 6 months you get a bonus. You can't borrow off of your 401K. Very common, especially on nights, to see toilet tissue everywhere, urine and even feces on the floors and walls of the restrooms. Also, knowledge wise, the mechanics are just as bad. – less

June 29, 2014

Also since there is only one electrician on nights, vacation for night shift electricians are "ONLY" if there is another electrician willing to work the days in which you are taking vacation. They expect for you to find someone to cover your shift and if there is nobody willing to work it. Then your vacation may not get approved. Its crazy but that is how that dept. operates.

good work place
Machine operator (Current Employee), Cartersville, GAMay 21, 2014
Pros: shaw buys us lunch about once a month
Cons: takes to lone to get signed off even if you are ready.
*load creels run machine
*how to run a carpet machine, working with new people and lots of safety
*good management
*they gossip to much the one thing I hate
*loading creels
*bonuses
Room for improvement
R6/R7 Lotus Notes Programmer (Former Employee), Cartersville, GA and Dalton, GAMay 20, 2014
Pros: great people, great pay, great life/work balance, easy job
Cons: not enough office space, i had to drive an hr away to the cartersville plant, they insisted it be "library" quiet, lack of stability. they used lots of contractors. you never knew when your contract might end.
I contracted for Shaw for 6 months. I loved my immediate supervisor, the people in my department and the clients in other departments I developed applications for.
Great place if you have no intentions to move up besides select few
Line Production Worker (Current Employee), Cartersville, GAMay 8, 2014
I topically move from all 3 lines in the Precoat Dept. One of a few people that is able to do so.
I learned how to run carpet ovens as well as a latex machines.
Our management has no communication and no cohesiveness.
Hardest part of my job is quality but its also its also my best part of my job because I do it so well.
Being one of few people that – more... can bounce from line to line in the Dept. – less
productive place
re worker inspector (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAApril 30, 2014
Pros: excercising
Cons: short breaks
I worked at shaw as a re worker where I inspected defected carpet tiles. My job was a temporary assignment but I did not like it one bit. The supervisor always had an attitude and was always mean. I got along with my co workers there but it was so filled with drama at this plant that it affected doing your work. someone was always gossiping. The hardest – more... part about the job was withstanding the heat being that it was not air conditioned. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing your own work in your own space. – less
Great associates
Creeler (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAApril 29, 2014
I love the people i work with although I feel it's harder to advance than originally told.
Fabricator
WAREHOUSE (Former Employee), Dalton, GAApril 17, 2014
Pros: overtime, 2-15 min break and 1-30 min break
Cons: 12 hour shift, overtime and vonlunteer
Shaw Ind. was one job that I liked a lot because I did something that I enjoyed doing. I don't mind working long hours, I like to have a physical active job because I like to move in other words I like challenge. I was working with carpets/yarn spools and after done I did a report and or pile the pallets with a forklift.
No time for family
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee), Decatur, TNApril 11, 2014
I need a job that I can make my own hours. I liked my job, it's just time for something else.
Very stable company with great compensation and benifits
Sales Representative. Territory Manager (Former Employee), Dalton, GAApril 9, 2014
I successfully managed a 3 million dollar territory with the Philadelphia carpet line. I sold residential and commercial carpet to a base of 75 dealers in the Kansas City market. I worked along side some the best salesman in the industry.
manufacturing
Electrician III (Former Employee), Dalton, GAApril 7, 2014
being an electrician I can do something I enjoy and make a living at it
Great Place to work...
Warping Operator (Current Employee), Cartersville, GAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: great job security
Cons: short breaks
Great job security and great benefits.
Great co workers
Managers that listen
Very physical
Great pay
N/A
Associate (Current Employee), Cartersville, GAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
N/A good company to work for Hard work how to make carpet there is n poo hard part to job, working with others.
Great place to grow.
Account Project Manager (Former Employee), Chatsworth, GAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: travel, growth ooportunities
Responsible for the timing of placing materials on hold, making certain of dye-lot compatibility and placing/tracking blanket orders.
Coordinate job schedules with client. Work with client and General Contractor and/or supervisor.
Determine step necessary to meet project deadlines. Respond with urgency and flexibility to meet frequently changing project – more... schedules.
Perform consistent, timely follow-ups with suppliers, tracking as many as thirty separate shipments of items depending on the complexity of the job.
Make freight arrangements for product shipments in the most expeditious and cost effective manner.
Locate installers for out of town installation and negotiate prices and schedules.
Create all purchase orders and contracts. Thorough follow up is essential including evening and weekend contact as required.
Create and coordinate all change orders. Track all changes in timetables and materials to insure proper completion and billing.
Monitor installations for meeting schedules and quality standards.
Approve installation bills. Review and evaluate all installer bills for accuracy.
Maintain required documentation in job folders and on the computer system to support the projects. Assemble all information related to the projects.
Prepare job folders for invoicing. Review for extras and change orders, determine freight charges, verify for accuracy, and submit to Accounts Receivable.
Receive maintenance and repair calls. Determine responsibility for repairs. Prepare cost estimates if necessary. On projects under guarantee, arrange repairs by original installers within prescribed timelines. In their absence, recruit and dispatch replacement installers. Review invoices and charge back primary installers accordingly.
Prepare specs and estimating
Travel to customers for meetings and conventions as needed.
Reporting - Submitted weekly reports i.e., store status, inventory, forecast – less
great atmosphere
Mechanic Technician (Former Employee), Dalton, GAMarch 19, 2014
Friendly workplace with very good safety program. Non diversity. Advancement opportunities through Shaw start.
Productive and good benefits
Finishing Operator (Former Employee), Clinton, SCMarch 12, 2014
great people to work around, great laughs shared and times together after work and weekends

About Shaw Industries

Shaw Industries, Inc. designs and manufactures approximately 1,800 styles of tufted and woven carpet for residential and commercial – Read more