Shaw Industries

Shaw Industries Employee Reviews

Productive and safe place to work
Heat Set Operator (Former Employee), Andalusia, AlabamaJune 5, 2015
a typical day at Shaw Industries is rewarding being so every batch of yarn is different and one have to treat it as such. the management team plays a great role in the day to day operations and is always available when needed
had fun working here
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Dalton, GAMay 31, 2015
Pros: fun people to work with
When I worked here there were only three of us working together. We bonded really well. We made work fun. We are still friends even though we haven't worked together since 2009.
Not a fun place to work.
Specialist I # IT Operations Services (Current Employee), Dalton, GAMay 27, 2015
Pros: No luch
Cons: No breaks
Responsible for scheduling, execution and monitoring of all jobs in the Shaw Environment as well as the centralize print from the mainframe. Responsibilities also include assisting with the completion of requests for install and removal of equipment, running cables, installation of software/patches/updates and the management of all priority tickets and escalated calls.

Responsibilities: Major Incidents (P0, P1) (P2, 3, 4, 5) - Management Paging, Dashboard Updates. Escalated from the Service Desk/Bell Tech. Reporting – Executive Summary, Patch Status Web Page, all reporting task. Administrative Functions – obtaining downtimes, entering change requests and other duties needed to support the group. Assist with shift workload – print, patches, VMware, Windows 2003, 2008, 2012, updates and installs. Job Scheduling – assist with job scheduling for the mainframe and distributed systems.
good place to work
machine operatior (Former Employee), columbia scMay 26, 2015
great place to work but long hours and swing shift is not ideal for 3 kids and life. great benefits and good pay. good training experiance
Shaw is a good company to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAMay 25, 2015
Customer service is not for everybody. It requires a strong personality. You have to talk with a smile, even when you are being fussed at.

Management listens to your concerns
Don't rock the ship or you will not last
Operations Manager - Regional (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMay 19, 2015
Pros: Good pay, decent benefits
Cons: Nepotism, job security, lack of follow through
When I started working for this company, I was very excited. I was tasked with turning around an under-performing facility, which I did. I was promised things that I assumed would be delivered as I had delivered on my end. When the timeline came and passed for what I had been promised, I followed up to be snubbed by the HR group basically calling me a liar.

I had to continually defend myself from an overzealous HR group that did not like me because I was not afraid to speak my mind. There was an accusation by a disgruntled previous employee that led to an HR visit. I had to PROVE my innocence. – more... I was told by HR that the only reason I was keeping my job is because I had proof that I was wrongly accused. (it's obviously guilty until proven innocent in this company).

I, and other co-workers, were passed over for promotions that were given to less qualified people who had a closer relationship to the "boys club" as it is commonly referred to back in Dalton, GA

After all of this and having given blood, sweat and tears to this company for years, I decided to leave. It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. The company pays higher than the market average, but in the long run, it is not worth it. They treat middle managers as if they are expendable and worthless.

I work in a much more fast paced and demanding environment now and my stress level is half of what it was when working at Shaw because I am no longer concerned about having to walk on egg shells anymore around the corporate staff. Success in Shaw is determined on who you know, not off of what you can do. – less
They pay good...and that's about all.
Fork Lift Operator/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Orlando FLMay 13, 2015
Pros: Compensation.
Cons: Short breaks, leads are clueless, employees are clueless, lack of safety, no organization or planning, Horrible training.
Job work/ life balance...what's that?

Accept that into your head if you get a job here. You will literally work, and sleep, and sleep is if you're lucky because you will be working so much over time you will go home and come right back. They pay pretty well for night shift and that's the best part, the day shift management is nice but the lead at night is clueless and honestly has no control over anything or anyone working for him. And safety is also a huge issue, out of the few people that work the night shift most of them DO NOT speak english so communication for any reason is practically useless. Want to make a plan so you can unload all the trucks in a timely manner? Good luck because they can't understand as little as "Stop! Don't hit me with the fork lift!" If you think you will have a light night ahead of you, think again..all of the trucks will end up being late so you won't unload until hours into your shift while you push a broom around bored out of your mind. The compensation is literally the only reason anyone would stay here and they know that. Good luck if you work here, it's not enjoyable what so ever.
Hard physical work, very diverse, long hours
Heat set operator, LTO, plant recorder (Current Employee), Decatur, TNMay 11, 2015
Pros: chances to move up
Cons: long hours - 12 hr shifts
I have learned to work with individuals with special needs, due to the hard physical labor, the ADA people in our plant are those with a small bit of mental issues that we have found a place for them to thrive.
Management on the floor level are great, Supervisors are on the floor staying involved with the employees.
The job is physically challenging, however with motivated individuals we can keep up the pace.
I often train other individuals, using positive encouragement to keep them going.
The hardest part of the job is the 12 hour shifts, that last 2 hours is exhausting.
OK Place if you need a job
Heatset Operator (Current Employee), dalton,gaMay 6, 2015
Pros: time goes by fast
Cons: the job expectancy towards production
Not very many places to move up since there is only a few opening and the supervisors have favorites for the over time given.
Great people to work with and the work environment is safe and nice.
Occupational Health Technician (Current Employee), Dalton,GAMay 5, 2015
A typical day at my job is doing hearing test, vision screens, and sometimes help with translation with associates.
I have learned to communicate better with different level of the organization, orally and by writing.
My management team is great. I received a lot of support from them.
My co-workers are the best.
The hardest part of my job is get up from bed everyday at 4:00 a.m.
The most enjoyable part of my job is work with people.
GREAT PLACE
LTO (Current Employee), Dalton, GAMay 4, 2015
Great place to work. People are very nice and understanding, everyone is helpful. The job is easy very laid back environment.
Heatset Operator
Textile Worker (Former Employee), Andalusia, ALMay 3, 2015
Shaw gives you the ability to work by yourself or with other co-workers, but still ensures that each task is completed safe and successfully.
over all it was good place to work
Billing Clerk/Label Coordinator (Former Employee), Calhoun, GAMay 3, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough good workers working together
traveling 45 minutes
working the customers
some of managements was good
some of co-workers were good to work with
not getting stressed out
working with the customers & travel to other plants to help the other employees
Productivity and a good place to work.
Winder Operator (Former Employee), Aiken, SCApril 28, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Manadatory overtime
They Make sure they pay there employee well and give bonus twice a year. The hours is long but the work is steady that makes the day go by fast.
A great job for those coming out of High School
HEATSET OPERATOR (Former Employee), Ringgold,. GeorgiaApril 13, 2015
Pros: Stable job.
Cons: Not for those who move slow.
The job as a Heatset Operator in Shaw Industries was a very stable and very busy job. This was a great beginning for myself and the job was amazingly beneficial for me.
Great Out of College Experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Training
Cons: Management structure
Managed all operations from delivery to shipping/receiving. Was the only manager on site. Most challenging part of the job was operating a 24hr operations being the only manager. Offered great opportunities out of college including a year of hands on training across the US seeing different operations.
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Decatur, TNMarch 23, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers
Cons: 36 hour work week for all hourly employees
The plant I work in only does twisting and heat-setting of yarn for carpet production. Co-workers and management are good.
Good place to work with benefits
Compounder (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAMarch 11, 2015
I liked it there but after 4 years and no more room for advancement it became just a paycheck. pay was good and my department didn't have normal warehouse drama and would be the only department i would work in there
Production Supervisor
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), Clinton, SCMarch 8, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: job security, management
- Effectively supervise Departments to ensure the compliance of company rules and regulations, safety policy, quality procedures and production requirements.
- Ensure all associates follow safety and departmental policies and procedures.
- To have a working knowledge of all quality systems and related Quality Control test equipment.
- Communicate with the scheduling department to coordinate the scheduling of the equipment with raw materials.
- To master a thorough understanding and working knowledge of the engineered wood manufacturing process and its operations.
- To communicate with all Rough – more... End departments/associates to maintain the effective flow of materials throughout the plant.
- Have leadership skills to lead by example.
- Responsible for communicating and executing special instructions.
- Must be able to give directions to hourly associates and be a well-effective listener.
- To be able to use SPC graphs and data to adjust equipment and processes.
- Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and written with all levels of plant and management personnel.
- Ensure production set-up is in accordance with the developed criteria for the respective product.
- To be able to advise associates on the proper setup of machinery and processes.
- Troubleshoot process related problems as needed.
- To release conforming product to the next operation and hold non-conforming product for further evaluation.
- Willing to be an On the Job Trainer (OJT)
- Perform Cycle Counts once a week or more as needed and audit LTO’s who are responsible for inventory placement.
- Conduct and document safety audit (ASA).
- Strive for Continual Operational Improvement.
- To monitor performance of associates and handle any necessary corrective action for associates.
- Hold necessary weekly meetings for associates including the daily stretch and warm-up exercises.
- Hold weekly FDB (first day back) meetings and any other necessary meetings for associates. – less
Great company, great people and great culture
Plant Manager (Current Employee), Dalton, GAMarch 8, 2015
Very good company and have been very good to the employees. Great opportunities and great training. Company does a great job of focusing on what's important to the customer and the employees